Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CHECKATRADE TROPHY | Charlton v Oxford United - MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    In the voice of Sven Goran

First half, good

Second half, not so good
  • Options
    clive said:

Phillips:6
    Dijksteel: 5.5
    Konsa: 7
    DaSilva: 7.5
    Kashi: 6
    Marshall: 6.5
    Aribo: 6
    Jackson: 6
    Reeves: 5.5
    Magennis: 5.5

Ahearne-Grant: 7
    Hackett-Fairchild: 5.5
    Lapslie: 5.5

Mavididi: 6

No way was Reeves equal or worse than Mag, Reeco or Lapslie.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Mehmeti scores and sends Oxford into the quarter-finals. Congratulations to them.

Charlton ❌❌❌
    Oxford ✅✅❌✅
    #cafc

Nice one Dave.
  • Options

Well we certainly met our Waterloo tonight, Oxford kept their nerve and the Winner Takes It All. Three penalties missed, Mamma Mia! I wonder if Roland, our own Dancing Queen, even knew we were playing tonight. Did anyone play well, was anyone our Super Trouper? Scoring goals is the problem and that is The Name Of The Game. Please Roly Gimme Gimme Gimme a goalscorer. Have we anyone in the reserves telling Robbo to Take A Chance On Me? If Oxford make the final it will be them in the Money, Money, Money and not us. Robbo, you keep playing the same formation, Does Your Mother Know? We are a Club in turmoil, anyone out there thinking of taking us over then please, please do so asap, I'm sending you a SOS tonight.

Missing Fernando and Chiquita.
  • Options

Well we certainly met our Waterloo tonight, Oxford kept their nerve and the Winner Takes It All. Three penalties missed, Mamma Mia! I wonder if Roland, our own Dancing Queen, even knew we were playing tonight. Did anyone play well, was anyone our Super Trouper? Scoring goals is the problem and that is The Name Of The Game. Please Roly Gimme Gimme Gimme a goalscorer. Have we anyone in the reserves telling Robbo to Take A Chance On Me? If Oxford make the final it will be them in the Money, Money, Money and not us. Robbo, you keep playing the same formation, Does Your Mother Know? We are a Club in turmoil, anyone out there thinking of taking us over then please, please do so asap, I'm sending you a SOS tonight.

I bet you can’t wait for mamma mia 2.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

clive said:

Phillips:6
    Dijksteel: 5.5
    Konsa: 7
    DaSilva: 7.5
    Kashi: 6
    Marshall: 6.5
    Aribo: 6
    Jackson: 6
    Reeves: 5.5
    Magennis: 5.5

Ahearne-Grant: 7
    Hackett-Fairchild: 5.5
    Lapslie: 5.5

Mavididi: 6

No way was Reeves equal or worse than Mag, Reeco or Lapslie.
    I thought Reeco was ok. Mag was disgraceful, Reeves annoys me with his dreadful shooting from anywhere. I can't bring myself say anything negative about Lapslie.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Missing Fernando and Chiquita.

Are they injured now as well?
  • Options
    We were well on top first half with the 352 confusion Oxford White giving us plenty of possession up the pitch.

Marshall and Dasilva had lots of space to attack and KAG and Mag looked dangerous.

Good goal from KAG which we didn't build on.

Reeco is very good in the ball, not quite there with his link up play and passing.

Reeves should have dominated in a five but was flat.

We missed Kashi when he went off.

Dijksteel looked very good but for their goal which I think was their first real chance.

Konsa was my MOTM just ahead of a very solid Philips who distributed the ball well helped by formation.

2nd half Oxford adapted and we lost momentum without Mag, Kashi and KAG but the game was still even and we might have won it.

Terrible penalties which we clearly missed on purpose so we went out.

Finished with a very young side and while I want us to win every game I wasn't too bothered driving home.

Met the Oxford chairman in the car park, nice chap.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Fumbluff said:

Who was our last penalty taker we could rely on?

Look at that blummin' barnet, swear I've seen him play the Joker in one of them Batman films....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:

CAFCTrev said:

Fumbluff said:

Look at that blummin' barnet, swear I've seen him play the Joker in one of them Batman films....
    Leave him alone. Charlton legend :wink:
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

Who was our last penalty taker we could rely on? Buyens?

Mark Reid
    In my time: Mark Reid, Clive Mendonca, Darren Bent, Yoni Buyens. Everyone else you were at least a bit nervous watching them run up, but it has been a particularly bad crop since Buyens left. We must be running at less than 50% success rate for the last 2 seasons, possibly even if you exclude shoot-outs.
    Tommy Caton
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

Mark Reid
    In my time: Mark Reid, Clive Mendonca, Darren Bent, Yoni Buyens. Everyone else you were at least a bit nervous watching them run up, but it has been a particularly bad crop since Buyens left. We must be running at less than 50% success rate for the last 2 seasons, possibly even if you exclude shoot-outs.
    Tommy Caton
    RIP, can't believe this year is 25 years since he died.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Somebody said we would lose 2-1 when we were 1-0 up and cruising. FFS it was worse!

Only me !!!!
  • Options
    Great. I won't have to start checking flights home for our Wembley appearance.
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

Mark Reid
    Tommy Caton
    Yup. I must be older so will add Bob Curtis and Derek Hales.

• Options
    So close to Wembley - never mind!
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I will stick my neck out and say we are going to win this on pens :)

Hope your necks OK?...........LOL!!!!
  • Options
    So glad I gave this one a miss. Two dire games in five days were enough. The thought of three in eight was too much but feared I might miss something really good. Should have known better.
  • Options

So glad I gave this one a miss. Two dire games in five days were enough. The thought of three in eight was too much but feared I might miss something really good. Should have known better.

It's s bit more like two dire second halves, first half last night and most of the first half in Saturday were average. Now I've written that down I've realised it sounds pretty terrible!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm honestly surprised that Lifers haven't picked up on the fact that we've been betrayed!!

Napa ended up appearing for Oxford early in the second half and then Mehmet (Seems he tried to disguise himself by adding an "i" to the end of his name) goes and scores the winning penalty!!
  • Options
    CHG said:

We won the shoot out that mattered #98

This
  • Options
    HandG said:

The 3-5-2 looked good for the first 30 minutes when we were well and truly on top and I was happily praising Karl for trying something different. Then Oxford committed more men forward and suddenly we looked very open as the wing backs, particularly Marshall, were too far up the pitch. Also KAG going off didn't help as he was looking sharp. The second half began all Oxford but and they equalised during their best spell of pressure. Although Mavididi looked rusty and Lapslie a bit raw, I thought they energised the team and we looked more likely to score in the last 10 minutes with the former putting a good effort wide and then Marshall missing a header from a good position.

The less said about the penalties the better but seeing Jackson heading up to take the first one didn't exactly fill me with confidence and his kick went exactly as I expected-smash down the middle / hit the keepers legs. If ever a shoot out summed up where a club was, that was it.....

A couple of other observations: I am desperate to like Marshall and think he will come good for us but he continued to frustrate last night, with some good things mixed with some bad. Maybe we're setting our expectations too high on a lower league winger?
    Same for Reeves-gets in some good positions but doesn't always make the best decision.
    Thought Ezra, Aribo and Dillon Phillips looked good and it is a particular shame for Dillon that we're out as can't see him getting any game time again this season save for an injury to Amos.

I know it's pilloried by the majority on here but I'm gutted we're out as saw it as a good opportunity to get to Wembley and be competitive rather than just to make up the numbers like we would have done if we had beat AFC and played Spurs at the weekend.

Agree that Marshall is frustrating, I was very excited when we signed him but have been really disappointed so far.

Last night was his best game yet but he still seemed, particularly in the first 25 mins, to have little confidence and often he didn't look as though he actually wanted the ball. He also has that frustraiting habit of trying to do complicated stepovers to help beat his man, causing him to look down at the ball, when, if he lifted his head up, he would see that there is a pass/cross/shot on that he could make straight away.
  • Options

CHG said:

We won the shoot out that mattered #98

This
    Nearly 20 years and 2 generations later and we're still banging on about it.
  • Options
    Thank god we lost. Now instead of a day at Wembley we can concentrate on finishing lower to mid-table in the division and congratulate ourselves on another season consolidating our hold on League One status.
  • Options
    First half was promising, albeit frustrating with so many Kashi passes going backwards/astray, and there was an air of confidence after KAG scored, but the game got slower as our midfield over-thought the passing. Oxford were always going to push on more 2nd half, and we encouraged this by dropping deeper. The equaliser, sadly typical of recent goals-against, with no discernable cover, tracking or attempt to tackle, with their guy getting goal-side of AD and having the pace we lacked. The last 20 was all attack by us but, as usual, no finish, with wasteful efforts by JDS, Marshall and Reeves. Good to see Phillips in goal, inspires confidence, commands his area, good distribution. Reeco and Lapslie contributed well, Josh didn't look overmuch bothered- a couple of 20-yard sprints to arrive too late, but off the pace where it mattered.
  • Options
    Glad we are out of it tbh. No we can concentrate on the league takeover speculation.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    CAFCTrev said:

Fumbluff said:

Ricky Holmes last penalty (Peterborough) was a bit special. Couldn't he have come on and taken one?

PS No post match views thread?