Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Players that are...

Comments

• Options
    E-cafc said:

Steve White
    Izale McLeod
    Marcus Bent
    Francis Jeffers
    Mark Hudson

Disagree on Bent and Jeffers...

Both were over rated rather than highly rated
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

McBobbin said:

Danny Murphy thinks he's in this list

Murphy was good for us. Better for Liverpool and Fulham but still good for charlton.
    Agree he was good for us, but the way he talks about his clubs it's as if Charlton were his darkest days
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Dave2l said:

McBobbin said:

Danny Murphy thinks he's in this list

Murphy was good for us. Better for Liverpool and Fulham but still good for charlton.
    Agree he was good for us, but the way he talks about his clubs it's as if Charlton were his darkest days
    He was good for us for about a year then didn’t want to be at the club.
  • Options
    Andy Jones
  • Options
    Scott Sinclair...yes

Im sure if Defoe got enough mins, he would have been poor for us so would have made the list!
  • Options
    Jesper Blomqvist?
  • Options
    Allan simonsen.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Dave2l said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Pope is definitely a valid example. Made quite a few blunders for us and rarely looked comfortable.

Just not so. Made two big blunders at the start of his time then improved greatly, so much so that Burnley bought him but many refused to see past the early blunders by a young keeper and so missed what a solid keeper he had become.
    He never looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, which would be quite regularly considering we were often on the back foot that season.

No doubt in the fact that he is doing well now, but cannot agree that he ever looked truly 'solid' in his time with us. That's not to say I'm not happy for him now.
    But he's not a creative midfielder. His catching, shot stopping, command of his area were all very good. In a poor side he was given too many poor back passes. Solid keeper for us.
    All I remember was that whenever I saw him between the sticks for us, he made a high number of blunders. He previously went out on loan to orient I believe and kept a high number of clean sheets and was apparently doing really well. Wasn't very confident at charlton and now he is a relatively high profile name in the premier league due to burnley having a great season so far.

Charlton is currently toxic and was even more toxic a year or so ago.

He has kept the 4th highest amount of clean sheets in the premier league this season. Little stat for you.
    So the contrast between his success playing for charlton and his current success playing for burnley is rather large.

When at the valley I also remember everyone around me moaning about him ...but i was usually drunk and not paying attention to anything anyway. From late 2013 onwards, that has often been the case.

John Barnes is not so valid for the category but he was in my head due to a random Christmas chat about him.
    Just not so.

As you say you were drunk
    Alright Mr sober, you know your stuff then.

Do you think nick pope was as good a goalkeeper when he played for charlton compared to now?

When watching nick pope play for charlton, did you ever once think something along the lines of;

"judging him on his current charlton performances, he has real potential and will be a premier league regular starter one day...actually, i think in just a few years"

?
    That wasn't the question though.

I did think, and said so on here at the time, that after a few early mistakes he matured into a solid first choice keeper.
  • Options
    Going way back Maurice Setters.

He was getting on when he joined us though.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Steve White
    Izale McLeod
    Marcus Bent
    Francis Jeffers
    Mark Hudson

There's a couple in that list I liked.....

Steve White scored 12 in 29 league games. I thought he was a good finisher in a pretty poor team.

Mark Hudson had to spend most of his time playing next to Linvoy Primus or Jon Fortune...both of whom looked chronically injured when they played. Think we went through quite a few right backs that season too. Wish we had someone as strong as him in the air now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Andy Jones

80s or 90s?

Dave2l said:

Mostly good successful highly rated players....apart from when they played for charlton.

Few names in the hat open for debate.

Nick pope

Simon Francis

Harry Arter

John Barnes

Pope was rated by those that could see

Francis, yes

After never played

Barnes was a swan song at the end of a great career.

Not really valid examples.
    Henry, are you a robot? A really miserable robot?
  • Options
    Considering there appears to be quite a questionable condensed list of uncertainties within this particular category of players that once wore the shirt or who still do.

Is "Charltonised" actually more of a general myth that us natural pessimistic addicks decided to make up. (we certainly have more then enough reasons to be pessimistic at the moment regardless)

I just thought that there would be so many obvious names here. Its a struggle to think of any more.
  • Options
    Tony Towner
  • Options

have you seen Francis play recently? Making loads of mistakes, looks like a rabbit in the headlights most of the time.

But to be fair, he is getting on a bit now.

• Options
    Stig said:

have you seen Francis play recently? Making loads of mistakes, looks like a rabbit in the headlights most of the time.

Can still throw a shape though
  • Options

Stig said:

Can still throw a shape though
    Perhaps he'll be first on the dance floor at Two Shat's Farm then.
  • Options
    huh

(Nick) Pope (simon) Francis

pope francis
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Andy Jones

80s or 90s?

Dave2l said:

Mostly good successful highly rated players....apart from when they played for charlton.

Nick pope

Simon Francis

Harry Arter

John Barnes

Francis, yes

After never played

The miserable ones are those slagging off players even after they have proved their critics wrong.

• Options
    Pawel Abbott
    Jesper Blomqvist
    Barry Endean
    Harry Cripps
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Andy Jones

80s or 90s?

Dave2l said:

Nick pope

Simon Francis

Harry Arter

John Barnes

Francis, yes

After never played

The miserable ones are those slagging off players even after they have proved their critics wrong.

Players proving critics wrong is great, I'm all for that.

There was always a really good keeper in pope but charlton did not get the best out of him.

You have misinterpreted the point of this though.

No one is digging out Nick Pope. He has gone on to achieve greater things and his sole focus is what he is doing now.

Charlton may now be a distant memory for him, whether he was good or bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

Pope is definitely a valid example. Made quite a few blunders for us and rarely looked comfortable.

Just not so. Made two big blunders at the start of his time then improved greatly, so much so that Burnley bought him but many refused to see past the early blunders by a young keeper and so missed what a solid keeper he had become.
    I could see he had the makings of a decent 'keeper but he made more than two big blunders.
  • Options

Pawel Abbott
    Jesper Blomqvist
    Barry Endean
    Harry Cripps

We know anyone is joking when they mention Pawel Abbott - has he made the Polish national team yet?
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Andy Jones

80s or 90s?

Dave2l said:

Nick pope

Simon Francis

Harry Arter

John Barnes

Francis, yes

After never played

It’s an interesting enough subject, I just feel such things should be encouraged or even slightly redirected rather than dismissed so moodily.
  • Options
    Mike Small

no - he was crap for every team he played for.

My shout is for Andy Jones. Bought him from Port Vale where he was knocking them in for fun & then hardly scored when he played for us. I actually liked him & thought we should have persisted with him...........until he skied one over the bar at Luton.

special mention goes to Franny Jeffers - but then he never did it anywhere & a pre-courser for Tony Watt.
  • Options
    Darren Ambrose - good for Ipswich, mediocre for Newcastle and us, then signed for Palace and suddenly became a world beater. Think he banged in a 30 yard winner in the league cup at Old Trafford. Also did well at Birmingham if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    Yeh Ambrose was constantly on the score sheet for palace. A memory I thought was erased from my mind.
  • Options
    Naby Sarr
  • Options

Mike Small

no - he was crap for every team he played for.

My shout is for Andy Jones. Bought him from Port Vale where he was knocking them in for fun & then hardly scored when he played for us. I actually liked him & thought we should have persisted with him...........until he skied one over the bar at Luton.

special mention goes to Franny Jeffers - but then he never did it anywhere & a pre-courser for Tony Watt.

A bit harsh about Small and yes he was crap for us away at Millwall.

Don't forget that he scored 21 times for Brighton in 90/91 earning a £400k move to West Ham. He even got 13 goals for them in the top flight the following season.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Andy Jones

80s or 90s?

Dave2l said:

Nick pope

Simon Francis

Harry Arter

John Barnes

Francis, yes

After never played

The question from the original post was to discuss players who have achieved well outside of playing for Charlton. Pope is a candidate multiple people have mentioned and have provided fair reasoning beyond the counter argument of 'people who can not see'.
  • Options

Pawel Abbott
    Jesper Blomqvist
    Barry Endean
    Harry Cripps

Rather harsh on Cripps. He was key in our 74/75 promotion squad. I remember seeing him have the enthusiasm of a youth player although he was well into his 30's.

If we must have an ex Millwall player from that era what about Terry Brisley or Eamon Dunphy?