Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Players that are...

Mostly good successful highly rated players....apart from when they played for charlton.

Few names in the hat open for debate.

Nick pope

Simon Francis

Harry Arter

John Barnes

Comments

• Options
    Leon Clarke appears to be rejuvenated
    Conor McAleny hasn't been lucky with injuries this year with Fleetwood but has done well in League One
  • Options
    Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink (excuse the spelling)
    Christian Daily
  • Options
    Rohmmedahl
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Mostly good successful highly rated players....apart from when they played for charlton.

Few names in the hat open for debate.

Nick pope

Simon Francis

Harry Arter

John Barnes

Pope was rated by those that could see

Francis, yes

After never played

Barnes was a swan song at the end of a great career.

Not really valid examples.
  • Options
    JFH - good shout.

Rommedahl was maybe overlooked a little bit but he did still produce fond memories.

It's a shame, feel we could have got more out of him. Arry was interested apparently.
  • Options

DiscoCAFC said:

Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink (excuse the spelling)
    Christian Daily

To be fair Christian Daily got Player of the Year with Charlton

Thought he was one of our better players under Phil Parkinson
    I just didn’t rate him....mind you when we had Gary Docherty playing alongside him we had the two slowest defenders in the division.
  • Options
    The most obvious one is Darren Bent...

Highest English scorer in the Premier League at Charlton, but instead when the World Cup squad was picked, a player was chosen who had never even kicked a ball in the Premier League.

We all knew how good he was, but the FA didn't...
  • Options
    Pope is definitely a valid example. Made quite a few blunders for us and rarely looked comfortable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    have you seen Francis play recently? Making loads of mistakes, looks like a rabbit in the headlights most of the time.
  • Options
    Danny Murphy thinks he's in this list
  • Options

have you seen Francis play recently? Making loads of mistakes, looks like a rabbit in the headlights most of the time.

To be fair to him though a lot of us (me included) didnt think he was good enough for League One.

He's currently making mistakes in the Premier League!! - Quite an improvement for someone not good enough for this level.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Pope is definitely a valid example. Made quite a few blunders for us and rarely looked comfortable.

Just not so. Made two big blunders at the start of his time then improved greatly, so much so that Burnley bought him but many refused to see past the early blunders by a young keeper and so missed what a solid keeper he had become.
    He never looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, which would be quite regularly considering we were often on the back foot that season.

No doubt in the fact that he is doing well now, but cannot agree that he ever looked truly 'solid' in his time with us. That's not to say I'm not happy for him now.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Just not so. Made two big blunders at the start of his time then improved greatly, so much so that Burnley bought him but many refused to see past the early blunders by a young keeper and so missed what a solid keeper he had become.
    He never looked comfortable with the ball at his feet
    Which Goalkeepers do feel comfortable when they receive a pass back though...?

there are only ever a handful and those who are comfortable with the ball at their feet usually end up playing under Guardiola
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

He never looked comfortable with the ball at his feet
    Which Goalkeepers do feel comfortable when they receive a pass back though...?

there are only ever a handful and those who are comfortable with the ball at their feet usually end up playing under Guardiola
    The majority look more comfortable than Nick Pope did when he was playing for us. Maybe it was a confidence thing at the time rather than ability, but he looked petrified and clumsy whenever the ball was played back to him.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

He never looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, which would be quite regularly considering we were often on the back foot that season.

No doubt in the fact that he is doing well now, but cannot agree that he ever looked truly 'solid' in his time with us. That's not to say I'm not happy for him now.
    But he's not a creative midfielder. His catching, shot stopping, command of his area were all very good. In a poor side he was given too many poor back passes. Solid keeper for us.
  • Options
    Neil Redfearn
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

But he's not a creative midfielder. His catching, shot stopping, command of his area were all very good. In a poor side he was given too many poor back passes. Solid keeper for us.
    All I remember was that whenever I saw him between the sticks for us, he made a high number of blunders. He previously went out on loan to orient I believe and kept a high number of clean sheets and was apparently doing really well. Wasn't very confident at charlton and now he is a relatively high profile name in the premier league due to burnley having a great season so far.

Charlton is currently toxic and was even more toxic a year or so ago.

He has kept the 4th highest amount of clean sheets in the premier league this season. Little stat for you.
    So the contrast between his success playing for charlton and his current success playing for burnley is rather large.

When at the valley I also remember everyone around me moaning about him ...but i was usually drunk and not paying attention to anything anyway. From late 2013 onwards, that has often been the case.

John Barnes is not so valid for the category but he was in my head due to a random Christmas chat about him.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

All I remember was that whenever I saw him between the sticks for us, he made a high number of blunders. He previously went out on loan to orient I believe and kept a high number of clean sheets and was apparently doing really well. Wasn't very confident at charlton and now he is a relatively high profile name in the premier league due to burnley having a great season so far.

He has kept the 4th highest amount of clean sheets in the premier league this season. Little stat for you.
    So the contrast between his success playing for charlton and his current success playing for burnley is rather large.

When at the valley I also remember everyone around me moaning about him ...but i was usually drunk and not paying attention to anything anyway. From late 2013 onwards, that has often been the case.

John Barnes is not so valid for the category but he was in my head due to a random Christmas chat about him.
    Just not so.

As you say you were drunk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Danny Murphy thinks he's in this list

Murphy was good for us. Better for Liverpool and Fulham but still good for charlton.
  • Options
    Not sure if the stats back it up but Andy Gray seemed to score more regularly for other clubs than when with us.
    Also, the ultimate Charltonisation, Ralph Milne.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Steve White
    Izale McLeod
    Marcus Bent
    Francis Jeffers
    Mark Hudson
  • Options
    Really pleased to see Pope do well at Burnley, but he was a complete mixed bag for us. Long range shots aimed low and hard at him was a huge weakness. Off the top of my head i remember major errors against Hull, Fulham and Huddersfield. Hardly solid?
  • Options
    Marvin Sordell
    Luke Varney
    Simon Church
  • Options

Dave2l said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Just not so.

As you say you were drunk
    Alright Mr sober, you know your stuff then.

Do you think nick pope was as good a goalkeeper when he played for charlton compared to now?

When watching nick pope play for charlton, did you ever once think something along the lines of;

"judging him on his current charlton performances, he has real potential and will be a premier league regular starter one day...actually, i think in just a few years"

?
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Steve White
    Izale McLeod
    Marcus Bent
    Francis Jeffers
    Mark Hudson

Disagree with Hudson
    think he was viewed as a decent defender by many Charton fans.

• Options
    Alan McCormack
  • Options
    I think the big think with Pope is he is playing behind a settled back 4 and has a good manager. Not to mention that when he joined Burnley, there 1st Choice was Heaton and 2nd Paul Robinson - he will have learned so much from those 2.

At Charlton, I doubt he played with the same back 4 for more than 2 consecutive games. We were also in free fall and he would naturally have been nervous.
  • Options
    How about Scott Sinclair?