Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackpool | Sat 23 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Blackpool
Saturday 23rd December 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: John Busby

Introduction

Tomorrow will mark the beginning of the Festive Fixture List and will mark the end to 2017 for Charlton at the Valley… Four games are due to be played between now and New Year’s Day with the first of those coming against Blackpool. The second of a double header versus Lancashire teams and after a 2-0 defeat in the first one against Blackburn Rovers, we’ll be looking to get back to winning ways and sharpish!!

The Opposition
Name: Blackpool | Manager: Gary Bowyer
Ground: Bloomfield Road

When Coventry City were relegated last season there must have been a sigh of relief from our own ownership. With the Sky Blues no longer in our Division it meant there couldn’t be a joint fan protest, yet as always the Play-Offs throw up plenty drama and whilst there are no joint protests today, it won’t mean there won’t be any when the Addicks travel up to Blackpool.

The drama of the Play-Offs came at Kenilworth Road; Luton the favourites for promotion had lost 3-2 in Lancashire, yet were winning by the same score come the second leg – As the match entered injury time it looked as though extra time was guaranteed yet a 94th minute goal from Blackpool would see the latter going to Wembley and ultimately win promotion themselves… Drama indeed!!

Charlton Team News
Pretty soon the fans themselves will be asked to bring their boots to matches… Squad depth is an important factor over the course of the season but it’s crucial at this time of the season. With European Leagues taking a break for the winter it’s impossible for foreign owners to predict how difficult and challenging a time it is here in England yet it’s one of those factors that makes the game here so special.

Billy Clarke returned from injury last weekend yet has now departed for the season with an ACL injury that will now keep him out for the year whilst Jake Forster-Caskey will serve his one match ban, overall there are a number of key players likely to be missing this Saturday which’ll give the feel of a Football League Trophy tie with many U23 players surely being called up to help out.

Amos
Dijksteel | Konsa | Sarr | Dasilva
Aribo | Jackson
Magennis | Reeves | Marshall
Best

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Cummings | Lapslie | Ahearne-Grant | Dodoo | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
With so many key players out it’s difficult to predict how the game could go… Players are out of form and there are rumours that it’s taken longer to teach our Strikers which net the ball goes into – Regardless though it is only Blackpool (rather than one of the stronger teams) and would be surprised if there is a point picked up or better… It’s just going to be harder to obtain than it should be

Comments

• Options
    4 - 3 cracker for Christmas

Best, Magennis (2) and Reeco

Att 9,106
  • Options

Best, Magennis and Reeco

Att 9,106

So who are gonna be the Charlton scorers? ;)

Best, Magennis and Reeco

Att 9,106

So who are gonna be the Charlton scorers? ;)
    I don't care just score 4 goals been doing this bet since September
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Need a win this place will go into meltdown if we dont.
    A new thread will start can we avoid relegation.
  • Options
    Quite looked forward to going to games earlier in the season. Now it is starting to feel a lot like previous seasons and I am questioning my sanity when I drive towards Charlton.

We've been poor recently and we have most of the 1st team out injured - even though Blackpool are poor I can't see us taking advantage of this, so 0-0 bore draw.
  • Options

Quite looked forward to going to games earlier in the season. Now it is starting to feel a lot like previous seasons and I am questioning my sanity when I drive towards Charlton.

We've been poor recently and we have most of the 1st team out injured - even though Blackpool are poor I can't see us taking advantage of this, so 0-0 bore draw.

No, i'm going for Henrys Christmas cracker and all those that got dragged round bluewater will be gutted.
  • Options
    The makeshift XI is going to shine. 2-1 Addicks. Big Mag to break his drought with a header from a Marshall cross, who is going to start to find same form in this game, and KAG to get the winner latching onto a through ball from Reeves, who will build on a promising second half display last week by stepping up to make sure Clarke is not missed as much as we feared.
  • Options
    Did Robinson reveal the result of Pearce's scan?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Despite all the changes I fancy a win, Marshall is due and big Josh, 2-1 addicks.
  • Options
    Can I just ask where this information that Solly is out of tomorrow’s game has come from and been announced officially?
  • Options
    Don't think Jake is banned as I believe that the 5 match ban expires on 30 Nov
  • Options
    KAG to start and score, 2-1 Charlton
  • Options
    It seems FA you have confirmed the rumours that Solly is also out injured, although I have read nothing officially. It is almost an under 23 squad, sorry JJ, let us hope Marshall and Reeves finally start producing, we need them now. Unfortunately, I got the score right last week so let us hope it does not happen again, 2-2
  • Options
    Another miserable December game at home. 0-2 defeat with us lucky to get 0.
  • Options

Don't think Jake is banned as I believe that the 5 match ban expires on 30 Nov

Yes, he's injured instead!

A strange game to predict as it's 2 struggling teams. We still do have some talent out there, but Robinson needs to be flexible to find a formation to suit who's available, rather than his ideal formation.
  • Options

Team for Saturday.

Covered End: As an Ex Banker, he knows how to save.
    Seb Lewis: Never misses a game. Plus has skill to park the Bus.
    RedChaser: Deceptively slow,But reads the game well,Charles Buchan monthly.
    Henry Irving: Captain and a good organizer. Legs may have gone.
    Viewfinder: I wandered lonely as a cloud.
    Peter Garland: Will beef up the midfield, and plays like three men.
    3blokes: Sounds like three men.
    Cabbles: Deep thinking midfielder, has a comedic touch.
    Nicholas: Young player who speaks his mind. On 20 Yellow cards.
    James Seed: the Best DNA at the club.
    Airman Brown: Left winger who refuses to go over to the right. LEGEND.

Sub The first Lady of CAFC, Fanny Fanackapan, can multi task like no one Else. Can Play in every position and has the Legs.

This team is just too good. You'll all be transferred in January.

And FA your comment about fans being asked to bring their own boots was classic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Form book goes out of the window................................

2-0 ............ to Blackpool
  • Options
    ross1 said:

It seems FA you have confirmed the rumours that Solly is also out injured, although I have read nothing officially. It is almost an under 23 squad, sorry JJ, let us hope Marshall and Reeves finally start producing, we need them now. Unfortunately, I got the score right last week so let us hope it does not happen again, 2-2

People were saying there was an unnamed Charlton player out injured and reckon that could be Solly so is nothing more than a guess from me.

On the other hand I expect someone to surprise us and appear in the squad and reckon that could be Solly (I thought he'd be missing last week only to play with Holmes being the injury).

In short I just dont know
  • Options
    0-0, KR delighted we've turned the corner, bigging up the three Academy graduates to play really well, who will either not be seen again this season, or be sold in January.

Of course I might be being overly positive.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Injuries all over the place. Tiny squad has meant unfit players have been forced to play. Stupid planning yet again by our stupid owner. Best chance of a result has gone so best we can hope for is a draw. 1-1 and not a good point at all.
  • Options
    Is Dijksteel injured ? If not, I'd play him ahead of Jacko
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Is Dijksteel injured ? If not, I'd play him ahead of Jacko

I've put him in at Right-Back...

Having Aribo and Dijksteel protecting the Defence worries me with their inexperience and can see Jackson coming in with his Leadership ability just to help the Midfield settle
  • Options

Injuries all over the place. Tiny squad has meant unfit players have been forced to play. Stupid planning yet again by our stupid owner. Best chance of a result has gone so best we can hope for is a draw. 1-1 and not a good point at all.

What tiny squad?

The fact we can get a team out with so many out with injury proves we have a good squad. The striker situation is the moan we have all had since the summer transfer window closed.
  • Options
    2-1 Best, Best and Best

Magennis in a back three.

Dijksteel to be targeted by Man City after MotM performance.
  • Options

Reeves, who will build on a promising second half display last week by stepping up to make sure Clarke is not missed as much as we feared.

Joking aside EA, I think it is pretty crucial that he does step up to the plate now
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!