Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

60 years ago today

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017

It would be fascinating, in a horrific sort of way, to know more about the Blackburn game. A crowd of 56K - how the emotions must have changed from 1-0 up to 4-1 down, then pulling back to 3-4. What happened at the end of the match - pitch invasion? players cheered or booed? Many Blackburn fans at the game? It must have been an amazing match. Any more thoughts - sorry, post-match views? (Bit late, I know.)

Yes there were not many Blackburn fans there, they were on the east terrace, I would have thought about a coach full, we were 1-0 up when the great Stuart Leary missed a great chance, we looked well on top then.
    The Saturday before, I saw my first Charlton game outside of London, we beat Ipswich 4-1 and it looked for promotion, but was not to be
    Was that an Easter game? @Johnnysummers5 because my Dad took me to that game by coach with a large group from Plumstead with Lewis coaches who had a booking office there IIRC.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

It would be fascinating, in a horrific sort of way, to know more about the Blackburn game. A crowd of 56K - how the emotions must have changed from 1-0 up to 4-1 down, then pulling back to 3-4. What happened at the end of the match - pitch invasion? players cheered or booed? Many Blackburn fans at the game? It must have been an amazing match. Any more thoughts - sorry, post-match views? (Bit late, I know.)

Yes there were not many Blackburn fans there, they were on the east terrace, I would have thought about a coach full, we were 1-0 up when the great Stuart Leary missed a great chance, we looked well on top then.
    The Saturday before, I saw my first Charlton game outside of London, we beat Ipswich 4-1 and it looked for promotion, but was not to be
    Was that an Easter game? @Johnnysummers5 because my Dad took me to that game by coach with a large group from Plumstead with Lewis coaches who had a booking office there IIRC.
    No we played West Ham away on the Easter Saturday drew 0-0, the Ipswich game was 2 weeks later there was a big Charlton support there
  • Options
    Great stories. I've actually met someone who was at the 7-6 but left early! Everyone else stayed until the glorious end of course haha! Huddersfield, the only team to score 6 in a league game and lose?
  • Options
    CHG said:

Great game, I was there, really enjoyed it, 60 years ago, the time flies, seems like yesterday that I was born in '78.

1878 ? How are you doing old timer ?
  • Options
    I was two months old but my dad was there.
  • Options
    I wasn't there (5 years before I started going) but I've met someone who was:
    Bob Carey from Catford now living in South Devon.
  • Options
    I have said it before and I am proud to say it again, "I WAS THERE"
  • Options
    I wasn't there. I was 5 months old at the time...
  • Options
    My Dad was there......I feel like I was there
  • Options
    60 years ago today Charlton were preparing for a promotion deciding game at The Valley against Blackburn. They needed to beat us to go up. We just needed the draw. A game that proved to be pivotal in Charlton’s history. Let’s hope for a better outcome this time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm haunted by the fear that history is about to repeat itself (a crowd of 56K I admit is unlikely). A dark moment, with Charlton left waiting 28 more years finally to reach the top tier again.

Victory on Saturday followed by a successful play-off campaign AND new owners soon - surely it's not too much to ask, is it?
  • Options
    SX_Addick said:

60 years ago today Charlton were preparing for a promotion deciding game at The Valley against Blackburn. They needed to beat us to go up. We just needed the draw. A game that proved to be pivotal in Charlton’s history. Let’s hope for a better outcome this time.

I nearly flagged you for that
  • Options
    I was there, to certain but I think John Hewie missed a penalty, Blackburn had B Douglas playing for them.
  • Options
    CHG said:

Great game, I was there, really enjoyed it, 60 years ago, the time flies, seems like yesterday that I was born in '78.

And didn't Harry Kane get all six Huddersfield goals?
  • Options
    SX_Addick said:

Remember it well.
    I ran into the Blackburn fans throwing wild punches left and right.

I was three years old.

I might have made some of this up.
  • Options
    Blackpool was 25
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Blackpool was 25

Bollox
  • Options

I'm haunted by the fear that history is about to repeat itself (a crowd of 56K I admit is unlikely). A dark moment, with Charlton left waiting 28 more years finally to reach the top tier again.

Victory on Saturday followed by a successful play-off campaign AND new owners soon - surely it's not too much to ask, is it?

Errrrrm, since you asked, yes it probably is.

• Options
    addick05 said:

Errrrrm, since you asked, yes it probably is.

I'll admit it IS a bit of a tall order. And when it comes to anniversaries I much prefer the 20th to the 60th, not to mention my own 63rd - 30 Apr 55 CAFC 0-4 PNE.

However, as bad luck is supposed to come in seven-year slices we are surely due a change of fortune. Since 2011 Jiminez & Slater and RD & KM have successively blighted our great old club, and now it is pay-back time.

Nothing the Bowyer regime has achieved in its eight-match reign to date can be put down to good luck - the team has fully deserved everything it has fought so hard for. So - it's our turn now.

There may still be a few shocks to come but this group of players has got the talent and now the belief that they can take this unpredictable campaign all the way. COYA!!
  • Options
    Is Johnny Summers still alive?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there for both, l'm sure we missed a penalty in the Blackburn game.?
  • Options

Johnny Summers died from cancer in June 1962, at the age of 34.
  • Options
    wrighty said:

I was there for both, l'm sure we missed a penalty in the Blackburn game.?

Not according to Colin Cameron, but Stuart Leary missed an easy chance in the first ten minutes to make the score 2-0.
  • Options

Johnny Summers died from cancer in June 1962, at the age of 34.
    Ah, thanks GHF.
  • Options
    Saw both games,used to go with my father,he would stand half way back on the South terrace,I being smaller would try to find a better view.I watched the Blackburn game from the top corner of the East terrace,near the Sam Bartram entrance.I will never forget the desolation of that walk home after we had lost.My dad assured me that we would easily win the league next year,but it took 30 years,and a lot of heartache for us to return to div 1.I believe Saturdays game, could be the springboard for our future.I bear no ill will to Blackburn supporters,I have visited Ewood many times and always felt welcome.But,I am fed up with teams coming to the Valley late in the season to celebrate their successes,it is now our turn.
  • Options
    Is there a video of this match anywhere? Would be amazing to see.
  • Options
    I was only 3 at the time and had to do a shift at the coal face so couldn’t make.