Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    The amount of people who say they were there, my uncle included.
  • Options

I was there, so there
  • Options
    My Dad really only talked about 3 Charlton games. Beating Arsenal 5-3 at Highbury, losing 3-4 in a promotion decider at home to Blackburn, and ‘the 7-6 game’. And he was one of the few who didn’t walk out at 1-5.
  • Options
    SX_Addick said:

My Dad really only talked about 3 Charlton games. Beating Arsenal 5-3 at Highbury, losing 3-4 in a promotion decider at home to Blackburn, and ‘the 7-6 game’. And he was one of the few who didn’t walk out at 1-5.

From my memory, I don't think many walked out at 1-5, the 3-4 Blackburn game when we only needed a draw to go up, was a very sad day for me, it took years for us to get back to the old 1st division
  • Options

I was there, so there
    I was ‘almost’ there......does that count in any way?
  • Options
    edited December 2017

I was there, so there
    I was ‘almost’ there......does that count in any way?
    Twinkle, twinkle little star ............. :wink:

Wasn't there but was taken to the 3-4 Blackburn game.
  • Options
    Be nice to get 12000 on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Crazy thing was mate we only needed a draw for that immediate return to the top flight and scoring 3 at home and losing made it all the more sole destroying...................only at Charlton! :disappointed:
  • Options

It would be fascinating, in a horrific sort of way, to know more about the Blackburn game. A crowd of 56K - how the emotions must have changed from 1-0 up to 4-1 down, then pulling back to 3-4. What happened at the end of the match - pitch invasion? players cheered or booed? Many Blackburn fans at the game? It must have been an amazing match. Any more thoughts - sorry, post-match views? (Bit late, I know.)
  • Options
    edited December 2017

It would be fascinating, in a horrific sort of way, to know more about the Blackburn game. A crowd of 56K - how the emotions must have changed from 1-0 up to 4-1 down, then pulling back to 3-4. What happened at the end of the match - pitch invasion? players cheered or booed? Many Blackburn fans at the game? It must have been an amazing match. Any more thoughts - sorry, post-match views? (Bit late, I know.)

Sorry GHF I was in short pants and my only recollections were, the opposition's very destinctive blue and white halved shirts, the size of the crowd, me worrying about falling off the wall at the back corner of the East Terrace to the side of the Covered End and my Dad being very p*ssed off after the game! As for away support there was of course no segregation and would have been intermixed throughout.
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited December 2017
    Great game, I was there, really enjoyed it, 60 years ago, the time flies, seems like yesterday that I was born in '78.
  • Options
    CHG said:

Great game, I was there, really enjoyed it, 60 years ago, the time flies, doesn't't seem like yesterday that I was born in '78.

78?
  • Options
    Charlton 3 Blackburn 4 was the last game of the season played on 26 April 1958. 60 years later, our last home game this season will be played on 28 April - against Blackburn.
  • Options
    My dad and grandad were there, no really, my old man reckoned it was the best football match he ever saw, but then again he never went to Daggers away in Chris Powells first year as manager!
  • Options

CHG said:

Great game, I was there, really enjoyed it, 60 years ago, the time flies, doesn't't seem like yesterday that I was born in '78.

78?
    Damn, rumbled!

• Options
    SX_Addick said:

Charlton 3 Blackburn 4 was the last game of the season played on 26 April 1958. 60 years later, our last home game this season will be played on 28 April - against Blackburn.

And I'm sure Blackburn will score at least 4 again !
  • Options
    SX_Addick said:

Didn't auger well when the fixture list came out probably academic now given the injury crisis :disappointed:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

Sorry GHF I was in short pants and my only recollections were, the opposition's very destinctive blue and white halved shirts, the size of the crowd, me worrying about falling off the wall at the back corner of the East Terrace to the side of the Covered End and my Dad being very p*ssed off after the game! As for away support there was of course no segregation and would have been intermixed throughout.
    The Rovers fans must have been ecstatic - must have been fun at the station. Colin Cameron points out that with 3 points for a win the final table would have been WHU 80 pts CAFC 79 pts BR 78 pts. Charlton managed to draw at Ewood Park and Upton Park, but lost both home games. Perhaps Airman can persuade Derek Ufton to bring back some memories.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

The Rovers fans must have been ecstatic - must have been fun at the station. Colin Cameron points out that with 3 points for a win the final table would have been WHU 80 pts CAFC 79 pts BR 78 pts. Charlton managed to draw at Ewood Park and Upton Park, but lost both home games. Perhaps Airman can persuade Derek Ufton to bring back some memories.
    Not that many Blackburn fans there actually.....in those days not that many fans used to travel long distances and those that did would invariably travel by coach.
    There was rarely any crowd trouble anywhere in the country other than at The Den.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Really @SoundAsa£ The Den? Well I never :wink:
  • Options

Yes there were not many Blackburn fans there, they were on the east terrace, I would have thought about a coach full, we were 1-0 up when the great Stuart Leary missed a great chance, we looked well on top then.
    The Saturday before, I saw my first Charlton game outside of London, we beat Ipswich 4-1 and it looked for promotion, but was not to be
  • Options

Some more facts, then ....

WHU spent 26 straight years in Div 2 from 1932 to 1958, and stayed in Div 1 until 1978
    Rovers lasted in Div 1 only until 1966, not returning until 1992 in the Jack Walker era
    CAFC had to wait until 1986 to reach Div 1 again

CAFC's 6 matches in Apr 58
    4th Rotherham h 4-0
    5th WHU a 0-0 10 men from 70th min Crowd 30208 (big club - yeah, right)
    7th Rotherham a 5-1 3rd game in 4 days
    12th Notts County h 4-1
    19th Ipswich a 4-1
    26th Blackburn h 3-4
    One fewer goal in one of the four big wins, and one more against Rovers .... if only

It might be interesting to get more stories in time for the 60th anniversary, including Rovers fans'. I'm not sure what appeal the rest of 2017/18 currently holds in store, at least until RD ROT's op!!
  • Options
    I was there, my first game at The Valley. Unforgettable.
  • Options
    I know the youngsters will say we could not all have been there but I was and have stated before can still see Buck Ryan scoring with a diving header from a a cross on the left almost certain from Johnny Summers.
    Huddersfield field manager went on to manage Liverpool one the odd trophy
    with them.
  • Options
    My uncle was there, he said he lost his voice with all the shouting. He said the ground was rapidly emptying when the revival started, wonder how many kept walking and missed it.
  • Options
    The 7-6, I don;t think many left at 1-5, other than Derek Ufton on his way to hospital. My enduring memory is of the muddy pitch. It was a grey, damp day like today, and having 'climbed' over the metal fence (was it 2 ft high?) on the East terrace boundary wall, found it quite tricky to run across to the grandstand in ordinary shoes to join in the 'We want Summers' chant.
    The Blackburn game, just sheer disappointment rather than anger. We just filed out and shambled to Woolwich Road to catch the 177 back to Parsons Hill, as the ferry terminal bus stop was called, then the 161 back to Chislehurst.