Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Waggott appointed chief executive of Blackburn

124»

Comments

• Options
    DRAddick said:
    The ST article .. for my part I have always regarded Paul Elliott (like his namesake) as somewhat disreputable .. dodgy dealings with Richard Rufus, suspicion of having a laugh at Cole's expense, repeated efforts to get a gig within the 'race relations' industry and at one time a candidate for the chairmanship of CAFC, absolutely laughable if is wasn't just a real w t f situation
    And Waggott is now the chairman of Blackburn (unless there is another Waggott S within the 'industry'). Football is awash with cash and where there's brass there's muck, to reverse an old northern adage
    I thought Rufus was the dodgy one?

I am in touch with Paul Elliott (former player) and what I do know is he is absolute passionate about all things Charlton, is very articulate and comes across as a complete gent in person and in emails.

Most con men do.
    But so do genuine people
  • Options
    Waggotts time at the club was before I took much notice of these things. What was his role here? How was he thought of? When and how did he leave? What has he done since?
  • Options
    He was CEO.

I get the impression that @Airman Brown in particular, whom I believe worked with him for a while, did not rate him terribly highly.
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    Do we know for certain that this is the same Steve Waggott?
    Defo the same Steve Waggott 
  • Options
    I am very surprised that Andy Cole didn't have an agent back then, he had already played for Arsenal and was playing for the England Under-21s as well.

Bristol City signed him from Arsenal for $500,000 - a LOT of money for a second tier side back then - so it's very surprising that he was without representation.

You can bet your balls there are thousands of stories even worse than this and The Times would have had to fact-check that story with Waggott because that is highly libelous if it's not true.
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    Do we know for certain that this is the same Steve Waggott?
    I heard the story about Cole’s transfer, when Waggott was at Charlton. So I would say yes.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Waggotts time at the club was before I took much notice of these things. What was his role here? How was he thought of? When and how did he leave? What has he done since?
    Watched him do a Q&A at Bromley Addicks alongside Derek Chappell, the bloke had nothing of any substance to say.

I was at that Q&A session and remember asking Waggott a straightforward question on his relationships with other CEOs in the league which he totally dismissed as irrelevant. He stumbled through that meeting like a rabbit in the headlights.

Came away from that meeting really concerned about the future stewardship of the Club after the previous Q&As with Murray and Varney which always filled you with confidence on the direction of the Club.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    The ST article .. for my part I have always regarded Paul Elliott (like his namesake) as somewhat disreputable .. dodgy dealings with Richard Rufus, suspicion of having a laugh at Cole's expense, repeated efforts to get a gig within the 'race relations' industry and at one time a candidate for the chairmanship of CAFC, absolutely laughable if is wasn't just a real w t f situation
    And Waggott is now the chairman of Blackburn (unless there is another Waggott S within the 'industry'). Football is awash with cash and where there's brass there's muck, to reverse an old northern adage
    I thought Rufus was the dodgy one?

I am in touch with Paul Elliott (former player) and what I do know is he is absolute passionate about all things Charlton, is very articulate and comes across as a complete gent in person and in emails.

Most con men do.
    But so do genuine people
    I'll get all biblical on ya .. 'heed not their words but their actions' ... Lincs Ch1 v 1 .. ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Addickted said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Watched him do a Q&A at Bromley Addicks alongside Derek Chappell, the bloke had nothing of any substance to say.

I was at that Q&A session and remember asking Waggott a straightforward question on his relationships with other CEOs in the league which he totally dismissed as irrelevant. He stumbled through that meeting like a rabbit in the headlights.

Came away from that meeting really concerned about the future stewardship of the Club after the previous Q&As with Murray and Varney which always filled you with confidence on the direction of the Club.
    All the more staggering when you consider the rumours of his salary . I heard 200k, although I cannot recall the source, I think it was a solid one, since otherwise I would not have believed it then. And this was, how many years ago? This is how Southall justified his 400k/pa. The "going rate for a Championship CEO". In football it is "the going rate for the job". It does not apparently matter if you are actually any good at the job. It does not matter that it isn't even a "CEO" role in any normal business sense. That is the insanity of football and why it draws in so many useless people like Waggott as well as downright wrong'uns.
    Waggott’s remuneration was disclosed in the accounts, alongside other executive directors and Kavanagh's subsequently, as Meire’s should have been. I believe he cost the club around £500k over two years’ employment, allowing for pension, employers’ NI and severance.

He was my boss. I had very little contact with him then. Well prior to joining CACT he used to do the Millwall reports for The Mercury on a casual basis. I probably had more dealings with him then, to be honest. Then he became an agent for a while. Wasn’t any personal bad feeling, it was just obvious to me he didn’t do the job and eventually the board came to the same realisation.
  • Options
    What took them so long?
  • Options
    I think Jon Dahl Thomasson basically threw him under the bus at the weekend for screwing up the paperwork on one of their deadline day signings. 
  • Options
    What took them so long?
    not a fan?
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I think Jon Dahl Thomasson basically threw him under the bus at the weekend for screwing up the paperwork on one of their deadline day signings. 
    https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2024/february/08/club-statement---duncan-mcguire/
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2024/february/08/club-statement---duncan-mcguire/

This was completely inevitable. Absolute amateur hour from Blackburn when they'd already re-negotiated the deal from a Permanent with McGuire on the plane from the States. 
  • Options
    Looks like Waggott is going to survive with club secretary Silvester being sacrificed.