Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weight Loss Routine in the Gym

124»

Comments

• Options
    Isn’t reps to exhaustion a fast track to injury / joint pressure? I don’t really know anything on this stuff. I’m managing arthritis so wary of pushing my body too hard. I regularly exercise yet done a boot sale a couple of weeks ago and just from lugging bags out the car I was in bad hip and back pain for 4 days after
    Personally I’d go till exhaustion as much as possible and rarely count reps for that reason.  I see it the same as cardio you wouldn’t really go for a run and not want to be exhausted at the finish line to get the maximum out the workout.  I even have a spotter to get the extra rep in, you’ll get soreness for the next 48 hours but worth it IMO.
    Which is why proper gaps between workout and good quality sleep is incredibly important.

I've also found Apple Cider Vinegar to be amazing, I have a glass first thing in the morning, a glass before lunch and a glass before bed!
  • Options
    Isn’t reps to exhaustion a fast track to injury / joint pressure? I don’t really know anything on this stuff. I’m managing arthritis so wary of pushing my body too hard. I regularly exercise yet done a boot sale a couple of weeks ago and just from lugging bags out the car I was in bad hip and back pain for 4 days after
    Personally I’d go till exhaustion as much as possible and rarely count reps for that reason.  I see it the same as cardio you wouldn’t really go for a run and not want to be exhausted at the finish line to get the maximum out the workout.  I even have a spotter to get the extra rep in, you’ll get soreness for the next 48 hours but worth it IMO.
    Which is why proper gaps between workout and good quality sleep is incredibly important.

I've also found Apple Cider Vinegar to be amazing, I have a glass first thing in the morning, a glass before lunch and a glass before bed!
    Couldn’t agree more with weight training rest days are vital, 5 days a week is the max I’d ever do and even that is carefully planned.
  • Options
    Yep, I suck at planning and don't go into the gym knowing exactly what I'm going to do, so I stick to 3/4 works-outs a week.

Sadly my protein seems to have got stuck at customs, so I might run out before it arrives, that won't be great!
  • Options
    Beginners need a lot of reps (practice, basically) to get their form right for barbell exercises. Having a final set where you go as long as possible gives a lot of frequency which means you can improve more.

You don't go until you 'fail' really... You go until you feel like you either can't do the next rep, or until you feel your form would be really bad for the next one. And you just put the weight down. If you've set up the safety bars correctly and know how to use the equipment, should be no problems. 

I've yet to injure myself and injuries have been strictly limited to those standing nearby. 
  • Options
    This bloke's blog/ website is pretty good for older blokes like us mate.  Gives you techniques that are easier on the joints such as neutral grips for dumbells and lots of warm ups and tips etc. http://jasonferruggia.com/about-jason/

Technique and form is king.  If you can't maintain perfect, controlled form for each rep then you are lifting too heavy and inviting injury.  All about gradual and progressive progression and consistency.
  • Options

Now this is proper "bro science"/ coincidence but I started using this daily last year after having a respiratory infection for 2 months last summer which saw me on a steroid inhaler at the end.  Heard a few people call in on the radio swearing by it and although probably apocryphal not had a cold since (although that is more likely down to a consistent healthy diet and cutting out junk and sugar in the main).  

I normally put it on food but do you drink it neat and if so what volume per drink?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Roughly 1.5 teaspoons (although I gave up measuring after about a week, I just 'eye' it now)  in a glass, diluted with water and neck it as fast as possible, as it's gross!

There's a lot of science to back up the use of ACV and it's been used for thousands of years! On top of all the heath benefits it's also another appetite suppressant to really helps with the fasting, especially when I try and do a 24 hour fast.
  • Options
    My son was born last November and since then I've really slacked off with my normal exercise regime. It's a excuse that I can't find time because you can if you try hard enough. I've joined 'The Gym' most of them are open 24/7 which is really handy if you have a busy work/personal life.