Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weight Loss Routine in the Gym

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2019
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Stopped eating sweet, crisps and drinking coke 2 weeks ago and have lost a stone already, literally without changing anything else. About to sign up to a kickboxing class to get the next lot moved and to hopefully work on depression/anxiety issues without keeping on taking the meds that were turning me into a bit of a zombie !

Did the same re sweets etc, also white bread,pasta,rice etc. Back in the gym, started back jogging, ive lost 2 stone in 8 weeks 👊
    Smashing it 👌, yeah any rice or pasta is now brown too... plus limited my coffee to 1 a day has cut out more sugar too. 
    I cut out all that crap quite a while ago, but still drink 4/5 cups of coffee a day, I just have it black without sugar, coffee really helps with intermittent fasting, as it's a hunger suppressant.

For anyone looking to get serious in the gym and lose body fat and add muscle, two amazing YouTube channels are Athlean-X and Gravity Transformation, they've both literally changed my life!
    Were I still working in fitness Jeff Cavalier of AthleanX would be my absolute idol.

Love the guy. 

EveryDamnDayFitness is a great channel for highlighting channels you should avoid but here's a couple:

V-Shredz
    Thomas Delauer
    Jason Blaha

So, so much bullshite advice from these channels.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    If you're eating in a calorie deficit (Eating fewer calories than you burn a day) then you will lose weight. 

Eating 8 slices of bread a day may not make you fat (yet) but it isn't exactly good from a nutrition point of view.

8 slices realistically could be part of a balanced diet if the protein, carbs and fats are balanced throughout your entire day.

I'd recommend making sure you're having a multivitamin daily and you're hitting your micronutrients too.
  • Options
    We have a dilemma between aerobic exercise and anaerobic exercise. What is best for you is dependent on your body shape before embarking on a programme and the time you are prepared to commit to exercise. It is likely that both might be applicable during various phases.

Personally I'd go slow and steady every time, interspersed with fast and furious.

• Options
    Calorie deficit
    Work out
    Keep your protein up
    My fitness pal is a great app
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Calorie deficit
    Work out
    Keep your protein up
    This is the simplest way of putting it.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    We have a dilemma between aerobic exercise and anaerobic exercise. What is best for you is dependent on your body shape before embarking on a programme and the time you are prepared to commit to exercise. It is likely that both might be applicable during various phases.

Personally I'd go slow and steady every time, interspersed with fast and furious.

What's the dilemma?

They offer different benefits, therefore the best plan will include both types of exercises. 

Explosive work such as bodyweight HITT with some more aerobic LISS, combined with a decent full body weights workout and a clean increased protein eating plan whilst in a calorie deficit will make the fat melt away and reduce muscular catobolism.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Calorie deficit
    Work out
    Keep your protein up
    This is the simplest way of putting it.
    Would add good sleep in and sufficient rest periods particularly for the more vintage of us.

I found eating first meal of day at 12pm or 1pm made a huge difference to me as (in a crude high level summary) you burn your fat stores rather than glycogen which is depleted by then.

Ultimately consistency is the key and diet is 80 to 90% of it particularly as you get older.

Cut out all processed food, all refined sugar (evil stuff) and eat lots of veg in a (sensible) calorie deficit and you'll lose fat.

Don't focus on the scales as if you're building muscle you won't necessarily see a huge shift in numbers. Focus on the mirror and your jeans becoming looser. Take a picture once a week and you'll note progress but don't obsess or stress about it. Stress can cause spikes in cortisol and impede fat loss.

Drink loads of water too and walk each day. 

Apologies for the unstructured post and bro science tone.  Will look for a link to a decent go to source later as so much misinformation and confusing stuff out there trying to make money out of people with clever marketing insisting the only way to lose weight is drinking crappy protein shakes and eating every 45 minutes whilst following the latest bullshit workout routine in men's health magazine another such smut.
  • Options
    Intermittent fasting is what you've described and I have to say was one way I found it easier to reduce my calorie intake.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Intermittent fasting is what you've described and I have to say was one way I found it easier to reduce my calorie intake.
    Definitely mate. The "fast" being between dinner at 8/9pm and pre gym snack at 12.30pm next day.

Takes getting used to at first and goes completely against the whole "breakfast most important meal" mantra but has really helped me. 

I do eat something however before if going for a run longer than 5k in the morning and should eat before gym if you work out in morning (I opt for 4 eggs and broccoli) but other than that don't eat til 12ish.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    How did you find your energy levels when fasting? Do you work in an office or do manual work?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Takes getting used to at first and goes completely against the whole "breakfast most important meal" mantra but has really helped me. 

Given that that phrase was coined by John Harvey Kellog, the man who invented breakfast cereal, I think we can probably ignore it!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    How did you find your energy levels when fasting? Do you work in an office or do manual work?
    Your body deals with it. My brother is a builder  doing manual work all day and trains Thai boxing/ ju jitsu and weights.

He doesn't eat until 2 or 4pm most days.

Our bodies are designed to operate and use energy based on how we fuel. The modern western diet and lifestyle is not how were designed to live.

Takes a week or two to transition and get used to it but once you do it's easy and personally I find more energy 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Given that that phrase was coined by John Harvey Kellog, the man who invented breakfast cereal, I think we can probably ignore it!

Never knew that!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Your body deals with it. My brother is a builder  doing manual work all day and trains Thai boxing/ ju jitsu and weights.

Our bodies are designed to operate and use every based on how we fuel. The modern western diet and lifestyle is not how were designed to live.

Takes a week or two to transition and get used to it but once you do it's easy and personally I find more energy 
    Thanks.
    If I go without breakfast I feel like shite by 9. Will give it a go though.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Our bodies are designed to operate and use every based on how we fuel. The modern western diet and lifestyle is not how were designed to live.

Thanks.
    Snap, though a bit longer. Get all light headed and weak later in morning. Had a black out / fit on train to work 20 odd years ago having not had breakfast so always eat something in morning. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Dazzler21 said:

Thanks.
    It's a bit disorienting at first and takes a bit of getting used to but within a short space of time becomes normal. I actually struggle to eat before midday now.

I wouldn't not eat before doing strenuous  exercise like weights or long distance run particularly when starting out on the eating later. But walking is fine. And if you do manual work you'll be used to the level of work so should be fine holding out until eating later.

In fact if you're able to go for a walk in the morning on an empty stomach you'll reap extra benefits.

Say you have last mouthful at food at 9pm I try to go 16 hours until first bit of food next day. But maybe start gradually if it helps ie. Start with a 13 hour gap building up to 16 hours in a couple of weeks if it is easier.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Thanks.
    It's a bit disorienting at first and takes a bit of getting used to but within a short space of time becomes normal. I actually struggle to eat before midday now.

I wouldn't not eat before doing strenuous  exercise like weights or long distance run particularly when starting out on the eating later. But walking is fine. And if you do manual work you'll be used to the level of work so should be fine holding out until eating later.

In fact if you're able to go for a walk in the morning on an empty stomach you'll reap extra benefits.

Say you have last mouthful at food at 9pm I try to go 16 hours until first bit of food next day. But maybe start gradually if it helps ie. Start with a 13 hour gap building up to 16 hours in a couple of weeks if it is easier.

Cheers. I'll look into it.
    My work pattern is a bit unusual. Start at 5 with a lot of walking (12,000 steps by 10) so I really need something early.
  • Options
    I also do intermittent fasting and unlike Rodders train whilst fasted (there are a lot of benefits) I find a glass of apple cider vinegar first thing in the morning helps with the energy levels.

It's hard at first but your body can and will adust, I then break my fast around 12:30 and start again around 6/6:30.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I hadn't been to the gym for a year up until about 6 weeks ago. (Had a baby). Eventually put on a lot of weight and HAD to go back. 

Before I was doing the Starting Strength program (Stronglifts variant) but didn't see much progress other than the weights getting heavier. Discovered Grey Skull LP  and results have been excellent. Torched a lot of fat and seeing muscle growth. I recommend for anyone new to lifting. 

Working out on a cut at the moment since there is fat to burn. Keeping protein high. Also doing fasted cardio, HIIT and functional training throughout the week, as well as 5 sets of push-ups a day in growing increments. 

One of the most annoying things is that the two colleagues I'm working with at the moment assume that because I'm currently overweight that I know nothing about getting fit. I'm bombarded all day with all kinds of condescending, basic advice. I know how to get fit, I just let myself get fat. It happens. Shut up.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes, drop an oblique comment that another may be on the way. They won't call a pregnant lady fat.
  • Options
    @Chunes thats exactly what happened to me, my lad is 7 months old, I managed to pile on almost 15kg in 8 months, quitting vaping probably didn't help with the weight!

Well back under control now though although I'll check out Grey Skull.

I just bought a 1.5kg skipping rope, it's proper brutal.
  • Options
    @Stu_of_Kunming Congratulations mate! 

Sympathy weight is real. Happened with both the babies so far...

It's a good program. Its big twist is that your last set, you do as many reps as possible. It's great for stamina and when you're squatting heavy it will leave you blowing out your arse. Also if you do have to drop down in weight, you can still set a personal best in reps, so there's always progression. 

What do you do?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    @harveys_gardener I'm a man, it was my wife that had the baby!Sorry Chines! Comfort eating?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ATM I do weight training 3 or 4 times a week with a decent HIIT work out at the end of each session.

I try to do 2 weeks of high reps (12~14) with a lower weight, 2 weeks of mid (6~8 reps) and 2 weeks of low reps (2~3)  making sure I'm using weights that mean I'm failing on every set within my desired rep range.

The 2 to 3 rep sets are a proper killer but its fun to lift big weights and apparently it's good to keep your muscles 'guessing'

I also do an AthleanX abs workout every morning to strengthen my core.

It's all going well so far although I'm finding squats difficult, so I tend use Lower weights and focus on my form, then pile em on for the leg press.
  • Options
    Isn’t reps to exhaustion a fast track to injury / joint pressure? I don’t really know anything on this stuff. I’m managing arthritis so wary of pushing my body too hard. I regularly exercise yet done a boot sale a couple of weeks ago and just from lugging bags out the car I was in bad hip and back pain for 4 days after
  • Options
    You don't have to fail every set, however failure on sets is pushing the muscle to its limit. Something that really helps with hypertrophy or muscle growth.

Not something all people in a gym will be striving for.

If you're toning or defining it's certainly not a must, if you're building it can be quite beneficial.

Stu has a good plan there, it'll stop the body guessing what's coming next which means it can't stop adjusting to the differing stresses it's being hit with.

Variations will help anyone at any sport or exercise.
  • Options
    Isn’t reps to exhaustion a fast track to injury / joint pressure? I don’t really know anything on this stuff. I’m managing arthritis so wary of pushing my body too hard. I regularly exercise yet done a boot sale a couple of weeks ago and just from lugging bags out the car I was in bad hip and back pain for 4 days after
    Not if you're lifting properly, no! Form is very, very important, which is why I spent a while lifting tiny weights to get that right.

If you don't 'destroy' your muscles then they won't really grow and by lifting to failure I mean lifting to where you can't lift anymore, so you wait 40sec/min, depending on weight and you're good to go again!
  • Options
    Personally I’d go till exhaustion as much as possible and rarely count reps for that reason.  I see it the same as cardio you wouldn’t really go for a run and not want to be exhausted at the finish line to get the maximum out the workout.  I even have a spotter to get the extra rep in, you’ll get soreness for the next 48 hours but worth it IMO.