Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tom Petty - RIP

13»

Comments

• Options

The ultimate supergroup

The funny thing about the Wilburys was they were never meant to be a supergroup or even serious, just a bunch of mates getting together to jam a bit.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

The ultimate supergroup

The funny thing about the Wilburys was they were never meant to be a supergroup or even serious, just a bunch of mates getting together to jam a bit.

That is their story, but there is a view, actually backed by comments from Petty that there was a bit more planning on Harrison's part. He put it that despite having success as a solo artist, he preferred to be part of a group..... and if you were part of the Beatles, you had to ensure that group was the business.
  • Options
    Totally gutted I love Tom Petty's music as it is so quintessentially American. First got into Tom when "Damn the torpedo's" came out and have been a fan ever since. Great loss to music RIP Tom and thanks for some truly great music
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

The ultimate supergroup

That is their story, but there is a view, actually backed by comments from Petty that there was a bit more planning on Harrison's part. He put it that despite having success as a solo artist, he preferred to be part of a group..... and if you were part of the Beatles, you had to ensure that group was the business.
    Not heard that story before, Muttley but plausible; maybe that was part of the way things subsequently unfolded?

Nevertheless, doesn't the story go that the others were meeting up round someone's place but George Harrison had left his guitar at Tom Petty's house - when he went round there to get it, he told Petty about the session, saying did he fancy coming along too and joining in for a jam?

Sounds more spontaneous and romantic though!

• Options
    I absolutely love the first album, but very few people talk about it. Please tell me I'm not alone. It's up there with some of my favourite records!
  • Options

I absolutely love the first album, but very few people talk about it. Please tell me I'm not alone. It's up there with some of my favourite records!

'I need to know' is one of my favourite late 70s songs.
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:

'I need to know' is one of my favourite late 70s songs.
    Great track. Was from the second album though along with another of my favourite Petty songs 'Baby's a rock 'n' roller'.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

The ultimate supergroup

Not heard that story before, Muttley but plausible; maybe that was part of the way things subsequently unfolded?

Nevertheless, doesn't the story go that the others were meeting up round someone's place but George Harrison had left his guitar at Tom Petty's house - when he went round there to get it, he told Petty about the session, saying did he fancy coming along too and joining in for a jam?

Sounds more spontaneous and romantic though!

That is definitely the story the press were given by Harrison. Like I said, Petty later suggested there might have been a bit more to it. But ultimately, it was mates getting together doing what they enjoyed rather than some big executive decision.