Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    If 2 players make the same decision, to let down the club and the fans by refusing to see out the season, why would I think differently of one over the other? Indeed with Solly being the club stalwart, rather than the journeyman striker, I'd have higher expectations of him; even if he wasn't playing regularly, he should have been in the dressing room, helping the younger players in those final 9 games, with his experience. 

I've questioned some of Bowyers comments and his management before, but he wouldn't have come out and made his statement unless there was some degree of truth about it. Even if it was only partially true, the fact that Solly had presumably been umming and erring about continuing, isn't great really. And nowhere else in the media has picked up on this, accusing Bowyer of falsehoods.

I'd love for it to be different, and there be a genuine reason why he didn't play, but until I actually hear it properly (and not just "so and so said something to so and so" from 3rd parties) I have to accept what's on the record.
  • Options
    BDL said:
    Solly wanted to play on but also wanted a guarantee that if he got injured in that period his contract would be extended. For whatever reason Bowyer wouldn't do that. That's why he didnt play on.

That sounds very feasible knowing Chris Solly's issues for a great part of his pro career at Cafc.

I believe Lyle Taylor said something similar to Lee Bowyer can you guarantee me £15K a week for 3 years extension if I get a bad injury in the 9 match mini League which stops me getting a Championship deal on at least that money  :#
  • Options
    Couldn't we have insured him? I know it wouldn't have been cheap, but relegation isn't cheap.
  • Options
    Couldn't we have insured him? I know it wouldn't have been cheap, but relegation isn't cheap.
    Why insure someone you have no intention of playing? Bowyer hadn't picked him since December despite us being on a horrendous run of 9 defeats in 15 games so why spend a lot of money doing that? It suited the narrative to lump Solly and Davis in with Taylor as losing three players sounds a lot worse than losing one when you're looking for excuses. That season we won 6 of our final 35 matches.
  • Options
     so Solly DID refuse to make himself available for the matches he was contracted for?

• Options
    Why insure someone you have no intention of playing? Bowyer hadn't picked him since December despite us being on a horrendous run of 9 defeats in 15 games so why spend a lot of money doing that? It suited the narrative to lump Solly and Davis in with Taylor as losing three players sounds a lot worse than losing one when you're looking for excuses. That season we won 6 of our final 35 matches.
    I meant Taylor.
  • Options
    I meant Taylor.
    Apologies
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     so Solly DID refuse to make himself available for the matches he was contracted for?

For ones that he wasn't needed for and wouldn't have been picked anyway - we didn't let a goal in those three games. He was being used to suit the narrative that three players had refused to play. Solly wasn't trusted by Bowyer, Davis was a dud and should never have been signed. Taylor was the one that mattered.
  • Options

For ones that he wasn't needed for and wouldn't have been picked anyway - we didn't let a goal in those three games. He was being used to suit the narrative that three players had refused to play. Solly wasn't trusted by Bowyer, Davis was a dud and should never have been signed. Taylor was the one that mattered.
    still refused to be available despite being contracted, we were also told that wasn't the case and it would all come to light that it was bowyers fault 
    Solly was contracted to play football. Bowyer refused to pick him
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Have a team ever agreed to a deal like that with a player? 

I think Solly didn't fancy it and wanted a free contract extension when he knew we were letting him go. 

Doesn't put him in a good light and after his football wages for 10+ years he was still trying to milk every penny. 
  • Options
    I'm more philosophical, you know whatever will be will be.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

I think Solly didn't fancy it and wanted a free contract extension when he knew we were letting him go. 

Doesn't put him in a good light and after his football wages for 10+ years he was still trying to milk every penny. 
    Football has never been in that position before asking players to play on beyond thrre allotted contracts.

Can anyone honestly say Sollys request was unreasonable  was he asking the club to double his wage or even add to it- no

He just wanted assurances for him and his young family that if he played on and got an injury that rules him out for an extended period so he couldn't get another club immediately that he still had a wage coming in.

I personally have no issue with that
    I.e. He didn't want to honour his contract until he had a stipulation put in completely unrelated to covid. 

It was a reach and nothing that any other player would have asked for. 

How would you feel if right now Pearce refused to play again unless there was something put into his contract where if he got injured, there was a guarenteed contract extension? Would be ludicrous. 
  • Options

Football has never been in that position before asking players to play on beyond thrre allotted contracts.

Can anyone honestly say Sollys request was unreasonable  was he asking the club to double his wage or even add to it- no

He just wanted assurances for him and his young family that if he played on and got an injury that rules him out for an extended period so he couldn't get another club immediately that he still had a wage coming in.

I.e. He didn't want to honour his contract until he had a stipulation put in completely unrelated to covid. 

You know for a fact not one other player asked for it do you?

Maybe they did and bowyer was happy to give it to them as he was happy to keep them the following season but didn't want Solly as people have mentioned he wasn't playing.

What about other clubs, how do you know other players didnt get the same type of deals.

Its called protecting your family, not sure why you are finding it hard to see that Solly was worried about having no income for 9-10 months if he did an ACL how would u cope?

• Options

You know for a fact not one other player asked for it do you?

Maybe they did and bowyer was happy to give it to them as he was happy to keep them the following season but didn't want Solly as people have mentioned he wasn't playing.

What about other clubs, how do you know other players didnt get the same type of deals.

Its called protecting your family, not sure why you are finding it hard to see that Solly was worried about having no income for 9-10 months if he did an ACL how would u cope?

Wasn't this during the period when we were in the midst of the fallout from Southall's departure and Nimer's supposed sale of the club to the next bunch of spivs? Possibly some unrealistic expectations at play here despite his concerns?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah I'm gonna say if that was Solly's demands, when he wasn't in the managers plans at the time anyway, then it's pretty foolhardy on his part. 

No club is going to agree to continue to pay you beyond your contract if you get injured, that's just part and parcel of the game. In fact, all clubs will give you all the support you need to get back up and running in terms of use of physios, treatments and facilities, but to ask for wages on top of that, when the club is struggling financially due to both the pandemic and the shitweasels running it, I'm not surprised he was told to poke it
  • Options
    Yeah he let us down in our hour of need, to lose his legendary status with us, certainly in my eyes. Right at the start I said I was told he massively fell out with Bowyer over this, and clearly financially the club's hands were tied. Bowyer had no option but to say that, like Taylor, Solly had bailed out. 

So where now is the evidence regularly purported by @paulie8290 on here that very soon we would get a PFA statement fully exonerating him? 

Another mercenary scuttling off to Ebbsfleet,  rather than toughening it out. I will never accept them back.
    How can someone be a mercenary ending somewhere on a lot less money? - At least I cant imagine him being on more with Ebbsfleet than what he was on with us.

Or do you simply not like the fact that he's earning any type of wage now - When he's clearly going to need to with a family. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    He clearly wasn't getting a new contract with us, so yeah he's gone for the money. If he refused pay after refusing to play then fair do's. I understand he was paid in full.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    All sorts of things we could have done, but you have to remember who was signing the cheques. I would imagine we were already wringing every last drop we could out of the measly budget that had been allocated for the season.
  • Options

He was paid for months to sit around and do nothing during covid.
    Like a large percentage of the population. Should he have told the club not to pay him?

He was asked to come back and put in the work that he missed (and was paid for) during that time. Even offered an extension to his contract to play until the end of the season. 
    "Asked to ...put in the work he missed?" What does that even mean? 

Solly has weaselled out of it because he wanted a contract extension written in if he came back (if he gets injured). 
    I'd have done the same - contracts aren't one way - they are a negotiation.

He knew it was his last big payday and tried to get as much out of it as possible. 
    He knew he wouldn't be offered a new contract, why wouldn't he optimise his contract. 

No but when footballers are given the chance to finish the season they were paid for, they should have been willing to do it. 

Clubs were struggling financially and Solly chose to try and hold Charlton up for ransom instead of helping a club out that he's played for since the age of 18. 

He's no better than Taylor. And who isn't to say Solly fakes an injury towards the end of the season to make sure he gets a contract extension on more money than he'd ever hope to have gotten this season.