Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    Williams was lambasted in the changing room after ducking a tackle (probably goes on in all changing rooms) and Wiredu was packed off to Colchester after kissing his teeth when Bowyer said something to him (both incidents are hardly News of the world and the sort of thing that probably happens at most clubs every week    
  • Options
    I think Solly would say that when Bowyer came out publicly and said he, Taylor and Davis had decided they would not play that wasn't a fair statement of his position.
    Just re read this after my above post....thought it initially said "was a fair statement of his position".  However if there is more to it rather than just refusal to play because risking injury a'la Taylor then fair enough and unfair to come to my initial view if there is more to it.
  • Options
    I think Solly would say that when Bowyer came out publicly and said he, Taylor and Davis had decided they would not play that wasn't a fair statement of his position.
    yes, but what was his position and why doesn't he come out and say it ? i reckon Bowyer had a heart to heart chat with all the players in a behind closed doors type of atmosphere and then thrown these 3 under the bus publicly - i could be wrong 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    fuck him

Interesting viewpoint that you only want one side of the story !

If someone tells me your an arse hole do I believe it or do I make my own mind up when I hear you speak or tell your story.

Swear at me too mate, because you will get some LOL.

Its also worth pointing out that Dave has had the misfortune of knowing me since our school days

So any swearing / insults between us should be taken with a pinch of salt

FA, I  meant Dave saying Fuck him regarding Chris Solly.

What guys on here say to each other in jest or for real doesn't bother me either way.

Chris Solly career was plagued by knee issues as we all know. 7 years ago in Spain Chris could only do stationary bike exercises when everyone else was trying to put down a marker in the pre season friendlies in the Mijas hills. Big Bob Peeters was the new boss. 
    I'd like to know both sides of the story. Chris didn't have a 400% pay rise in the pipeline when he disappeared !
  • Options
    fuck him

If someone tells me your an arse hole do I believe it or do I make my own mind up when I hear you speak or tell your story.

Its also worth pointing out that Dave has had the misfortune of knowing me since our school days

What guys on here say to each other in jest or for real doesn't bother me either way.

Chris Solly career was plagued by knee issues as we all know. 7 years ago in Spain Chris could only do stationary bike exercises when everyone else was trying to put down a marker in the pre season friendlies in the Mijas hills. Big Bob Peeters was the new boss. 
    I'd like to know both sides of the story. Chris didn't have a 400% pay rise in the pipeline when he disappeared !
    So what did you mean by get some?
  • Options
    He could have come out and put the record straight no? 

If he cared about fan opinion of him he'd have been in the papers the next day. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Chris Solly is a club legend, end of discussion.
    2 POTYs, 1 young POTY, 1 league one title, 1 league one play off trophy, over 300 appearances most of which with a dodgy knee and shit owners, academy product.

All the above is not forgotten because he left when he was a second choice right back.
    He chose not to make himself available when we had the chance to save ourselves from relegation. 

Second choice or not, he refused to play for us. 

Taylor is vilified, and rightly so, but at least he had the guts to come and front it out by saying why he made his decision. 
    Taylor’s decision clearly cost us relegation.

Solly’s didn’t. 

Taylor was looking to get away from us because he wanted more money.

Solly, was looking at getting a contract for himself before he was released anyway.

Its not a positive thing from Solly, but it absolutely no way eradicates all he’s done for our club.
    They made the same decision. 

Just because Taylor is a better player than Solly (at the time), it doesn't mean Taylor's decision was worse than Solly's one. 
    It does mean exactly that.  

Taylor was our talisman, Solly our reserve right back.  Solly NOT leaving wouldn’t of changed a thing, so I for one don’t care (as much).
    What they did is exactly the same (If Solly did refuse to play), just because you don't care about one as much as the other doesn't mean it isn't.

Part of being second choice in any position is being ready if and when you're called upon to help your team mates, Solly wasn't prepared to do that. (Again, If Solly did refuse to play)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Maybe, just maybe, that’s not Chris Solly’s personality. 

Some people don’t want to be involved in gossip and scandal. Doesn’t automatically mean they’ve done something wrong and that they don’t have a valid reasoning for something that’s happened. 

Not every player / person thinks and acts the same.

You can’t tell me that Chris Solly didn’t care about the club or fanbase having spent about two decades of his life around it.
    I feel like any person that feels like they've been unfairly slandered would want to correct the record no? 

If he's chosen to go to the PFA, take a bit of money and sign an NDA it shows where his focus was placed. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Some people don’t want to be involved in gossip and scandal. Doesn’t automatically mean they’ve done something wrong and that they don’t have a valid reasoning for something that’s happened. 

You can’t tell me that Chris Solly didn’t care about the club or fanbase having spent about two decades of his life around it.
    In which case all the whispers and unreleased interviews are made up bollox? so either some people on here are lying OR he has got involved gossip and scandal 

if Chris could have passed a medical elsewhere he would have been on his toes years ago 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    cafctom said:

I feel like any person that feels like they've been unfairly slandered would want to correct the record no? 

If he's chosen to go to the PFA, take a bit of money and sign an NDA it shows where his focus was placed. 
    I've got a direct boss that is so effing good at acting and lying and twisting things in front of her bosses that I was struggling to decide whether I should go to the people higher up when I had been treated unfairly for a year. Like I said in my earlier post, this sort of things are not easy. That's why I can more or less relate to the players potentially bullied by the manager. 

By the way I'm not saying Bowyer is like my direct boss😂 I really liked him when he was our manager until the end. I still hope he can do well at Birmingham. I give my example just to show that "to correct the record" publicly is not necessary always the best or the easiest choice. How to do it requires serious consideration. Maybe Solly thinks it would just be too much trouble and not worth it. 
  • Options
    4Real said:
    Where is he playing now ?
    Centre back at sixth tier Gravesend and Northfleet. Was sent off last Saturday 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    cafctom said:

It was well known to the media at the time that Solly was unhappy with Bowyer's announcement. That said, there is nothing to report unless he goes on the record and he didn't. I don't think anyone is suggesting Bowyer entirely invented Solly's position either, but I don't think it was a done deal that he wouldn't play and his position was pre-empted, which was the problem.
  • Options
    Belv said:
    2 POTYs, 1 young POTY, 1 league one title, 1 league one play off trophy, over 300 appearances most of which with a dodgy knee and shit owners, academy product.

All the above is not forgotten because he left when he was a second choice right back.
    He chose not to make himself available when we had the chance to save ourselves from relegation. 

Taylor is vilified, and rightly so, but at least he had the guts to come and front it out by saying why he made his decision. 

Solly’s didn’t. 

Solly, was looking at getting a contract for himself before he was released anyway.

Its not a positive thing from Solly, but it absolutely no way eradicates all he’s done for our club.

Just because Taylor is a better player than Solly (at the time), it doesn't mean Taylor's decision was worse than Solly's one. 

Taylor was our talisman, Solly our reserve right back.  Solly NOT leaving wouldn’t of changed a thing, so I for one don’t care (as much).
    What they did is exactly the same (If Solly did refuse to play), just because you don't care about one as much as the other doesn't mean it isn't.

Part of being second choice in any position is being ready if and when you're called upon to help your team mates, Solly wasn't prepared to do that. (Again, If Solly did refuse to play)
    Why would anyone care as much.  Solly was gonna have as much impact as a ball boy in those final games, Taylor would of kept us up.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    fuck him

I edited it to "get more LOL" which translate to Get more Laugh out Loud.
    from * "get some LOL" as your paranoid is causing you to read something that isn't there. Your Mate FA can explain it to you.

It's so boring when the chuckle brother routine starts.

*"From me to you"

* No violence was intended by any posts by Soapbox Sam over the last 7 years of his tenure on Charlton Life.

• Options
    Belv said:

Solly’s didn’t. 

Why would anyone care as much.  Solly was gonna have as much impact as a ball boy in those final games, Taylor would of kept us up.
    Yes he would! Totally agree!

1 more goal in 7 games would have kept us up. Taylor has proved since his move to big school that he is a 1-7 striker 😂
  • Options
    fuck him

I edited it to "get more LOL" which translate to Get more Laugh out Loud.
    from * "get some LOL" as your paranoid is causing you to read something that isn't there. Your Mate FA can explain it to you.

It's so boring when the chuckle brother routine starts.

*"From me to go"

* No violence was intended by any posts by Soapbox Sam over the last 7 years of his tenure on Charlton Life.

fuck off mate, I haven't gone back to check if you edited your post, despite what you believe,  you aren't that important.

your original post didn't make sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Belv said:

Solly’s didn’t. 

No-one cares as much but that's irrelevant.

My best mate could get punched in the mouth on the same day Piers Morgan gets punched in the mouth. I care more about my best mate but both incidents are as wrong as each other. (Yes, I know punching Piers Morgan may not seem wrong).
  • Options
    Belv said:
    Belv said:

Solly’s didn’t. 

No-one cares as much but that's irrelevant.

My best mate could get punched in the mouth on the same day Piers Morgan gets punched in the mouth. I care more about my best mate but both incidents are as wrong as each other. (Yes, I know punching Piers Morgan may not seem wrong).
    That analogy is only relevant if you think there’s charlton fans who rate Solly more than Taylor in 2020, highly unlikely.

The issue is principle for those who are pissed off with Solly, and I get it, we all have levels of it, but levels that are so high you’re happy to forget 2011/12 and 2012/13 where he beat players such as Yann, BWP, Stephens, Morrison, Wiggins etc to POTY, twice, plus all the rest of his performances and achievements, that is just odd.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Lot of fighting talk on this thread !

Only ever spoke to Chris Solly about Golf and Arsenal, but was it 18 years CS spent at Cafc ?  Chris would only have been picked at LB by LB in the 9 match mini League. which seemed to be a thing that started about 5 years ago with trying the right footed defender on the left side, and continues to this day with the curse of the injured Left backs over the last 20 years even in our premier days. Page shades Wiggins in games missed ?

Taylor was only at Cafc for two years and was just a striker for hire as he had been at Wimbledon which was his first success in football after 10 years.  
    Lyle won't be the first person or the last to struggle at big school.
    At Forest he just can't see the wood for the trees.

• Options
    cafctom said:

It was well known to the media at the time that Solly was unhappy with Bowyer's announcement. That said, there is nothing to report unless he goes on the record and he didn't. I don't think anyone is suggesting Bowyer entirely invented Solly's position either, but I don't think it was a done deal that he wouldn't play and his position was pre-empted, which was the problem.
    For Bowyer to come out and say it there must have been some discussion had and Solly wasn't willing to commit to playing for the club. 

As much wriggle room as people want to give him, those are the facts. 

If he was unhappy about being a second choice right back, cared about his baby at the time, worried about getting injured etc. etc. we don't know and probably won't ever know at this point. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    yes, but what was his position and why doesn't he come out and say it ? i reckon Bowyer had a heart to heart chat with all the players in a behind closed doors type of atmosphere and then thrown these 3 under the bus publicly - i could be wrong 
    You are never wrong.
  • Options
    I was gutted when he left, but the fact he's only played for Ebbsfleet since then says a lot about where his career was heading
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Chris Solly couldn't pass a medical in the top four tiers of the EFL. Below that many players get paid if they play and are not even on contracts as the club's can't afford to pay people who are out injured as you go down the steps of the pyramid.

After our League 1 record breaking season, Solly nearly went to West Ham before fate played a part and Solly knees decided his future. Cracking player over many seasons for Charlton before the wear and tear took its toll on his performances.