Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

Brexit voters knew what they were voting for.
    Brexit means brexit.
    Naysayers spout operation fear.
    The EU is undemocratic.
    Brexit means control of UK borders.
    Brexit means control of UK laws.
    Brexit means control of immigration.
    Brexit means making deals with places that are not the EU.
    Brexit is a money making opportunity for financial advisors like John Redwood and Jacob Rees Mogg.
    Brexit represents the end of dominance by experts, evidence and reason and ushers in the dominance of the much maligned quality of crass stupidity.
    Brexit means if you choose your moment you can fool enough of the people enough of the time.
    But mainly.
    Brexit means the triumph of the racists who hate foreigners.
    Brexit voters knew what they were voting for.

Crikey didn't think I would ever see you say something sensible. Keep it up. Havw you turned, seen the light.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Southbank said:

We’re nowhere near to being out yet and it’s perfectly clear that the EU will have far more detrimental effect on you and me regular citizens for far far longer after UK leaves than it ever had in the 45 years up to the day the fuckwits voted us out.

If by that you mean that the UK having the worlds largest and progressive trading block sitting on its doorstep competing with us on the world stage while we seek to do deals with countries that don’t really give a toss about us or can deal better with the EU anyway. I make you right.
    Aye, who would want to trade with the world's 6th largest economy.
    Yet there are Brexiters who tell us we have been held back by the EU while becoming the world's 6th largest economy? I expect they are going to tell us that without the EU we would have been bigger than China, the USA and Japan...
    You forgot the plucky Germans who've managed to free themselves from the shackles and control of the evil EU to be the world's 4th largest economy for decades now...
    The EU was set up so the Germans could lend money to other countries to buy their stuff, then bankrupt them when they cannot pay it back
    Which is exactly how it has turned out.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

We’re nowhere near to being out yet and it’s perfectly clear that the EU will have far more detrimental effect on you and me regular citizens for far far longer after UK leaves than it ever had in the 45 years up to the day the fuckwits voted us out.

If by that you mean that the UK having the worlds largest and progressive trading block sitting on its doorstep competing with us on the world stage while we seek to do deals with countries that don’t really give a toss about us or can deal better with the EU anyway. I make you right.
    Yet there are Brexiters who tell us we have been held back by the EU while becoming the world's 6th largest economy? I expect they are going to tell us that without the EU we would have been bigger than China, the USA and Japan...
    You forgot the plucky Germans who've managed to free themselves from the shackles and control of the evil EU to be the world's 4th largest economy for decades now...
    The EU was set up so the Germans could lend money to other countries to buy their stuff, then bankrupt them when they cannot pay it back
    Set up, like in 1956 you mean?
    Entirely? So Germany (it was West Germany then) shattered eleven years after the war, could lend money to France, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium and Holland so they would buy German products, and then Germany would bankrupt France, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium and Holland?
    Do you have a source for this, or any evidence at all that it happened?
    The EU was set up in 1992, Seth.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Set up, like in 1956 you mean?
    Entirely? So Germany (it was West Germany then) shattered eleven years after the war, could lend money to France, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium and Holland so they would buy German products, and then Germany would bankrupt France, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium and Holland?
    Do you have a source for this, or any evidence at all that it happened?
    The EU was set up in 1992, Seth.
    Ah. So something changed over 36 years?
    Is France bankrupt yet?
    And do you have evidence for your assertion about 1992? (I realise evidence is so 2015).
  • Options

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Apologies. I was overlooking Brexit Bollocks Conspiracy Theory No1. The EU and all its institutions are the culmination of decades of patient planning, clandestine meetings in hollowed out volcanos and stealthy implementation in order for Germany to finally get to finish the job of European domination.

Nobody in any of the other 27 states has noticed what is so evident to the average Brexiteer either hence those pesky kids have gotten away with it. Sir Nigel saw through it though...
    Ask the Greeks what they think, and the Italians under what looks like their new anti-Euro Government.
    Oh, and have a look at which countries owe money to which other countries.
    I could tell you, but then you would accuse me of making it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44148027

So we'll basically just stay in the Customs Union indefinitely if we can't find another solution?
  • Options
    Brexit voters are across everything. They knew full well what they voted for (how dare anybody suggest otherwise), and they have fully thought through plans for what to do with their victory.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    se9addick said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44148027

So we'll basically just stay in the Customs Union indefinitely if we can't find another solution?

"...Earlier, Irish PM Leo Varadkar said ensuring there was no hard border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland was "an absolute red line" for the Irish government.

"We need that [backstop] to be part of the withdrawal agreement, and if it's not, then there will be no withdrawal agreement and no transition period."

After meeting Mrs May at an EU summit in Bulgaria on Thursday, he said he expected the UK to table new proposals within weeks but warned: "Resolving the issue of avoiding a hard border requires more than customs."

Leo gets it..!

• Options
    Blimey - it comes to something when even GQ is noting what a car crash the whole sorry mess is...

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/brexit-serious-damage-to-britain
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018

Blimey - it comes to something when even GQ is noting what a car crash the whole sorry mess is...

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/brexit-serious-damage-to-britain

Good article, even if it only echos my own thoughts
  • Options
    Southbank said:

The new Italian government is another nail in the EU coffin. The sooner we escape the sinking ship the better.

Italy is great. It is a better country to visit as a vegetarian than France. Great that it is possible to go there without a visa and border checks which will come in because of the dolts who voted brexit.
    The EU is the lifeboat to the UK's brexit shipwreck, but too many in the UK failed to heed the advice about trying to cross the Atlantic on a pedalo, and refuse rescuing.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

The new Italian government is another nail in the EU coffin. The sooner we escape the sinking ship the better.

Have the Germans bankrupted the Italians yet ?

If they have they will soon start running out of customers to sell all those VW’s, Audi’s and Merc’s to.

• Options
    What will those Leavers who voted for Brexit fore think when we have to replace

And worse... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-charter-fundamental-rights-commons-uk-eu-defeat-a8068326.html

Do you think Brexiters believe they are going to be immune from this shit fest?

Yes. I genuinely do think that there's a huge, "I won't happen to me!" factor in Leavers thinking.

I pointed out many times pre-referendum the advantages we benefit from by being in the EU in terms of consumer rights, food safety/standards, product safety, employees rights, environmental protections, etc. Leavers just do not want to acknowledge these benefits and, if there was any response at all, it would be along the lines of "we can have our own laws around these things then!".

Which is true but ignored several important factors; EU law/regulation is in my experience far superior in its aims and effectiveness than the dogs dinners our domestic legislators seem to produce in these areas, our businesses will still have to comply with EU legislation if they want to tap into the world's biggest single market on our doorstep and that the lobbyists for business are going to have a field day buttering up the government to get the concessions they've wanted, leaving us as consumers, employees, etc in a far worse position than before.

All this was even before the disgrace of allowing individual ministers to make those decisions became policy, which I didn't think even this lot of snake oil salesmen would be able to sucker the public into accepting.
    Don't worry, it'll all be exactly like Foyle's War, after Brexit.
  • Options

Southbank said:

Can you give us some analysis on this?
    Plenty of it in the press. The Italians have lost faith in the EU. Remainers here still believe Leavers in the UK are a special case. Time for you guys to have a good look around Europe to see which way the wind is blowing.
  • Options

Southbank said:

If they have they will soon start running out of customers to sell all those VW’s, Audi’s and Merc’s to.

Italian debts cannot be repaid, which is why the new Government wants them written off.
  • Options

Southbank said:

I have just read their plans. You people really do live in cloud cuckoo land don't you? You believe anything any old twat tells you if it coincides with your idiotic prejudices. Why were people like you allowed to vote?
    By 'you people' do you mean the majority of British and Italian voters? But good that you once again confirm the anti democratic prejudice of Remainers.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Italian debts cannot be repaid, which is why the new Government wants them written off.
    First the Greeks and now the Italians. Where will the Germans be turning their gaze next I wonder ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!