Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    I did Osterley today, it was blooming lovely. 
    If it wasn’t for the constant hum of the M4 it might’ve been my favourite Parkrun…
  • Options
    Anyone done Footscray Meadows or Hoblingwell? I’ve seen only ever done Avery Hill and Danson which have 200-400 runners, while these only really get 40-80. What’s it like?
  • Options
    Anyone done Footscray Meadows or Hoblingwell? I’ve seen only ever done Avery Hill and Danson which have 200-400 runners, while these only really get 40-80. What’s it like?
    Hoblingwell is good and if you’re lucky Mr Gritt will be there (and beat you)
  • Options
    Hoblingwell is a great name for a park run
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Am running the Rob Burrow Leeds Marathon in memory of my dad on Sunday May 12th for the Motor Neurone Disease Association. He was a life long Addick and is the sole reason I am a Charlton fan because he brought me and my brothers along since we were old enough to stand.

My first ever marathon and I am getting quite nervous about it!

Here is the information for any lifers interested 👍

https://www.justgiving.com/page/ralph-corrish-1713898170343?utm_medium=fundraising&utm_content=page%2Fralph-corrish-1713898170343&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=pfp-share
    Successfully completed this beast on Sunday in a time of 4 hours 25 minutes in memory of my dad and fellow addick. It was my first marathon and it was very hot and very hilly. My left leg started really playing up after about 22 miles as well.

I am humbled to say we’ve so far raised really close to £4,000 for the Motor Neurone Disease Association as well, which is amazing. Thank you so much if there were any lifers who have donated. 

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    Hoblingwell has free parking, loos and cafe all by the start. It's deceptively tough, no big hills but loads of small ones. 

Foots Cray is probably back on the flat summer course by now. It's alright, the (free) car park and loos are a long way from the start so allow extra time. Both are all trails + grass and worth doing, though not ones I'd visit regularly.

I went to Highbury Fields today. 5 laps with over 500 people was chaotic but surprisingly fun. Next week is parkrun #100 for me - so many years wasted where I was running occasionally but had no idea about parkrun. 
    Agree with all of the above - Hoblingwell's a tough old one but worth doing. Nice people there too. Haven't been to Foots Cray for ages; it's great but plenty of ankle-twisters! Is the farm shop cafe still going?

(I did Highbury Fields just before the pandemic, on a morning when it was chucking it down with rain. Like you say, it's chaotic but fun.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 15
    So I did Mote Park in Maidstone a couple of weeks ago - really nice course, loved the lake. 

And on Saturday I got up early and went over to Crane Park. I wasn't expecting much - it's a bit of a nowhere place between Twickenham and Feltham - but's it's a brilliant course in an amazing little park. The end is by an old shot tower which you can wander up to see the view from the top (which is probably better in winter). It's a slightly fiddly trip by public transport but well worth it.

No parkrun for me on Saturday, I'll be in Hamburg and plan to spend Friday night watching football and having a drink.

But there'll be parkrun for me on Monday instead - it's the Whit Monday holiday in the Netherlands, their extra parkrun day, and I'll be doing Stadspark in Groningen.  And that'll be my 249th...
  • Options
    After running the 2 London marathons post covid I really lost motivation but am finally getting back out regularly. I've applied for 2025 with a time goal in mind, most importantly I'm really enjoying the time out running, just got in from a 7k run and it's getting slightly easier every run.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Hoblingwell has free parking, loos and cafe all by the start. It's deceptively tough, no big hills but loads of small ones. 

Foots Cray is probably back on the flat summer course by now. It's alright, the (free) car park and loos are a long way from the start so allow extra time. Both are all trails + grass and worth doing, though not ones I'd visit regularly.

I went to Highbury Fields today. 5 laps with over 500 people was chaotic but surprisingly fun. Next week is parkrun #100 for me - so many years wasted where I was running occasionally but had no idea about parkrun. 
    Agree with all of the above - Hoblingwell's a tough old one but worth doing. Nice people there too. Haven't been to Foots Cray for ages; it's great but plenty of ankle-twisters! Is the farm shop cafe still going?

(I did Highbury Fields just before the pandemic, on a morning when it was chucking it down with rain. Like you say, it's chaotic but fun.)
    The cafe has been taken over by a new company and much improved, got a 9/10 rating on parkrun breakfasts Facebook group 
  • Options
    Intended to do Irchester Country Park again today, where a dinosaur footprint was found earlier this week, but I ran at Brixworth Country Park instead, and if they had any running there, I Don'tthinktheysaurus! Don't Say a word! 

Oh, and "BINGO!" Stopwatch challenge completed at last 🙂
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Intended to do Irchester Country Park again today, where a dinosaur footprint was found earlier this week, but I ran at Brixworth Country Park instead, and if they had any running there, I Don'tthinktheysaurus! Don't Say a word! 

Oh, and "BINGO!" Stopwatch challenge completed at last 🙂
    Evidence of prehistoric Parkruns?

Walked one this morning in Omagh, as part of my hip replacement recovery (very, very slowly, I should probably volunteer to act as the last person marshall).
  • Options
    Stayed local today, nice weather for it
  • Options
    edited May 18
    Whole family doing Calgary Park Run this morning - there are a few in Canada, this one is on a big hill in the City - quite exposed to the weather and it’s bloody cold at the moment! 
  • Options
    Finally shaken off a chest infection and managed 29:30... Coming in at a respectable 500th place! Great to be back running,.but lungs properly hurt
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    Whole family doing Calgary Park Run this morning - there are a few in Canada, this one is on a big hill in the City - quite exposed to the weather and it’s bloody cold at the moment! 
    There's one in Whitby, as I learned to my cost a few years back assuming it was in North Yorkshire and didn't realize they didn't have one there then until I got there. Big mistake 🙄 I felt a bit of an Inuit that day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Market Bosworth Country Park for me. Got round. Nice day. End of.
  • Options
    edited May 25
    Wakehurst for me today, I had a heavy cold so very slow time 😰. Beautiful new parkrun though.
  • Options
    edited May 26
    Did my 249th in Groningen on Monday - an extra for the Dutch Whit Monday/Pinksterdag holiday - which was great. Only a handful of tourists (I wanted to avoid the mass parkrun tourist invasions you get on those days) and some very friendly locals. 

So that means (drumroll)... I did my 250th at Hilly Fields yesterday.

Really good to be back to where it all began for me back in October 2016 - and barely believable that I've not only done a Saturday 5k 250 times, but that I've managed to get up on time to do them... hopefully I'll be back there in 2029 for my 500th (and a few more times in between).
    Pleased for you, but a bit envious too. I started my Parkrun journey in 2016 too and should have got to 250 by now, but I dallied too long post covid in getting back into it. Seldom miss a week now but 20 short at the moment and 5 short of 50 different courses. Working to a plan to hit both targets later this year though. 

Well done and I admire your ambition going forward. I don't like the sound of "Hilly Fields" though! 😟