Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    There's a park run just started 2 mins from my house and on the route where I already train.. happy days. Be nice to not run on my own all the time !. 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Can anyone recommend an affordable running watch. Not sure if they exist, but one with GPS and an MP3 player, ideally.

Cheers
    Garmin Forerunner 245 music does the job for me - it tracks your runs and plays podcasts, music, etc. Available around £200 so not that affordable, but I don’t think you’ll get anything with those features for less. 
    I have the 245 standard version and kicking myself a bit for not paying more to get the music one. Great watch for my pretty simple needs. Garmin seem to be doing the music one for £240 at the moment but may get it cheaper elsewhere 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Can anyone recommend an affordable running watch. Not sure if they exist, but one with GPS and an MP3 player, ideally.

Cheers
    Garmin Forerunner 245 music does the job for me - it tracks your runs and plays podcasts, music, etc. Available around £200 so not that affordable, but I don’t think you’ll get anything with those features for less. 
    Thanks for your advice everyone. Definitely want to leave my phone at home. Main phone is Apple, but been thinking of going full time Android anyway. 

I might go for the Garmin here, I think. Thanks Brighton.

I used to live in Brighton, by the way. Got a bit bored of running on the front and didn't have the legs to tackle the hills. 
    I used to live in Brighton as well :-).  Moved a few miles down the road to Shoreham-by-Sea when the children arrived to get more space.  Said first child is now 9 and 'enjoying' his first season ticket at the Valley - time really flies! Excellent running around here with the flat sea front and then only 2 miles into the beautiful South Downs.  

I use the Runcasts app to sync up podcasts to the Forerunner 245 - I've not found better with that watch.  Your music you can sync up through iTunes.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

Cheers
    I have the 245 standard version and kicking myself a bit for not paying more to get the music one. Great watch for my pretty simple needs. Garmin seem to be doing the music one for £240 at the moment but may get it cheaper elsewhere 
    exactly how I feel owning the 645
  • Options
    @Cloudworm wiggle has a sale on....garmin music/running watch here...cheaper than the 245... https://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-645-music-running-gps-watch

• Options
    no music @Rothko ?
  • Options
    Yeah it does @Charlton_Charlie, just checked with my brother to confirm
  • Options
    @Cloudworm wiggle has a sale on....garmin music/running watch here...cheaper than the 245... https://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-645-music-running-gps-watch

Thanks Charlie. Think it’s sold out now though.
  • Options
    just checked...I can still buy @Cloudworm (I'm thinking of getting one for myself..)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I'd recommend the Fenix 5 over the 645. (Rothko's link) although those are reconditioned.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2021
    Debuted at Avery Hill/Greenwich ParkRun this morning. Saw a couple of Charlton shirts dotted about.

My new ‘home’ run after moving - managed to keep under 25mins despite my first run in about 7 weeks.

Was #29 out of 179.
  • Options
    First park run after a fair few weeks, and I was on the fags and ciders last night. Not ideal prep but managed a shade over 29 mins which I'd have taken
  • Options
    I was rubbish again but apparently least rubbish of this year, which really means since March 2020
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Yeah it does @Charlton_Charlie, just checked with my brother to confirm
    are you sure? I thought the fenix 5 doesn't have music, it's the fenix 5 plus which does
  • Options
    Marshalled at the Boat House at Danson Park again this weekend...love it...also made sure I kept an eye out for the 7 'same age group' runners who regularly finish in front of me..  had set my sights on catching at least one...now know that that isn't going to happen any time soon...for 'gentlemen of a certain age' (50-54) they are fast... I have finished top 50 of all runners in my last two parkruns (I try to do one week volunteering, one week running)...I reckon these 7 are finishing top 25...
  • Options
    Hex said:
    Mrs Hex was a timekeeper at Swanley Park today.  Both of us are still recovering (very slowly) from colds and jabs so couldn’t run although we both did last Sunday’s test event.  The course is split into 3 loops which you run twice but each loop starts and finishes at a potential pinch point.  Not sure how 150+ runners navigated it today.
    I got over to Swanley yesterday - it’s a bizarre course but seemed to work well with 80-ish people doing it. Never been to that park before, nice place. Lovely volunteers, got a very warm welcome in my Charlton top.

Volunteered at Hilly Fields juniors this morning and there were more kids in Charlton tops than any other team. 
  • Options
    Hex said:
    Mrs Hex was a timekeeper at Swanley Park today.  Both of us are still recovering (very slowly) from colds and jabs so couldn’t run although we both did last Sunday’s test event.  The course is split into 3 loops which you run twice but each loop starts and finishes at a potential pinch point.  Not sure how 150+ runners navigated it today.
    I got over to Swanley yesterday - it’s a bizarre course but seemed to work well with 80-ish people doing it. Never been to that park before, nice place. Lovely volunteers, got a very warm welcome in my Charlton top.

Volunteered at Hilly Fields juniors this morning and there were more kids in Charlton tops than any other team. 
    I’ll tell Mrs Hex you think she’s “lovely” !
  • Options
    Hex said:

I was at Swanley Parkrun as well yesterday, lovely volunteers especially the run director.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hex said:
    Hex said:

I’ll tell Mrs Hex you think she’s “lovely” !
    Ha! I think we had a chat... someone came up right at the end to show me his Charlton facemask, as you do. All good fun.
  • Options
    Got myself a Garmin Forerunner245 music and the thing id driving me mental. Firstly, I just want it to play music. Managed to do it last week, when I first got it. Linked it to a PC and used Windows Media Player to put a few albums on it, connected it to my bluetooth earphones and it was playing fine. Now I've got it home and tried again, it won't go to the same menu and keeps going on about Spotify. I don't waant to use Spotify. I just want it to play the music that I loaded onto it!

Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Does this help at all https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner245/EN-US/GUID-8702C05F-0915-455A-AABA-079D8374FCD8.html

I think if you click on the "Listening to music" link it might help you 
  • Options
    I want to run the equivalent distance between my house and my uncles house in Ireland, through a mixture of street and treadmill running. Is there an app where I can calculate the route and add the distances run so I can see where I am on the map?
  • Options
    I want to run the equivalent distance between my house and my uncles house in Ireland, through a mixture of street and treadmill running. Is there an app where I can calculate the route and add the distances run so I can see where I am on the map?
    there's loads. just 1 option https://www.mapometer.com/ you can plan and save the route and it will have mile/km markers all along for you. there may be better out there for exactly what you want
  • Options
    Does this help at all https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner245/EN-US/GUID-8702C05F-0915-455A-AABA-079D8374FCD8.html

That did RCT. Thanks. I keep getting to things once and having no idea how I did it. So infuriating! Having no homepage is a real problem. Also, can’t seem to play concurrent albums by the same artist. Just loops the first one you pick. Grrrrr....
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

That did RCT. Thanks. I keep getting to things once and having no idea how I did it. So infuriating! Having no homepage is a real problem. Also, can’t seem to play concurrent albums by the same artist. Just loops the first one you pick. Grrrrr....

You have probably inadvertently set that song to loop... i think if you deselect the "repeat mode" it may unloop it...

Forerunner 245/245 Music - Music Playback Controls (garmin.com)
  • Options
    It’s an album actually mate. I’m pretty sure to get 2 albums to play consecutively I would need to create a playlist. If I play by artist, it plays songs from both albums alphabetically and if I play by album, it loops the album. I guess when I get used to it, I’ll play whatever I want when I’m in the middle of a run. Thanks.
  • Options
    New year, fresh start. 

Anyone else participating this morning? What one you doing / done?

Im off to Avery Hill in a bit. Absolutely shattered and zero enthusiasm, but got to be done.

Good luck