Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    anyone do the first Swanley run today? 159 there which seems very decent.

Got my first sub-35 since the Before Times at Charlton today - 208 there.
    Mrs Hex was a timekeeper at Swanley Park today.  Both of us are still recovering (very slowly) from colds and jabs so couldn’t run although we both did last Sunday’s test event.  The course is split into 3 loops which you run twice but each loop starts and finishes at a potential pinch point.  Not sure how 150+ runners navigated it today.
  • Options
    I was the Boat House volunteer at Danson yesterday....15th time I've volunteered at that parkrun....think I enjoy it more than running :-)
  • Options
    The flood of new Parkrun’s really taking a hit on Avery Hill. Down to 162 yesterday compared to around 320 two months ago and regular 400+ pre Covid. 
  • Options
    The flood of new Parkrun’s really taking a hit on Avery Hill. Down to 162 yesterday compared to around 320 two months ago and regular 400+ pre Covid. 
    Danson was nearly 100 down on the previous week too; Foots Cray down to a cosy 42. I don't think there are any other new ones planned in this part of the world at present so will be interesting to see how the numbers settle down one people have taken a look at the new ones and once the new year rush is over. If more people have parkruns they can get to under their own steam rather than driving or getting the bus, that's got to be a good thing, though that'll hit places like Avery Hill whose catchment area has just been cut back somewhat. (Maybe they will now call it "Avery Hill" too :-))

Takes me 12 minutes to walk to the start line of the new Charlton parkrun, and *everyone* I saw on foot while walking up there yesterday was also heading to the parkrun. Quite amazing.

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Managed 17k yesterday av 6'59 per km and hanging out my arse with a cold. My previous best run was 15k av 7'29... so a nice progress in 10 days. 
    You're doing it the right way, keep the progression steady, rush it at your peril.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    shine166 said:
    Managed 17k yesterday av 6'59 per km and hanging out my arse with a cold. My previous best run was 15k av 7'29... so a nice progress in 10 days. 
    You're doing it the right way, keep the progression steady, rush it at your peril.
    Cheers mate, doing a half on Nov 7th and am gonna start from scratch after that. I'm aiming for a marathon next year, so will be chucking in some kettle bells once a week as I can barely walk for 2 days after a long run. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    shine166 said:
    Cheers mate, doing a half on Nov 7th and am gonna start from scratch after that. I'm aiming for a marathon next year, so will be chucking in some kettle bells once a week as I can barely walk for 2 days after a long run. 
    Make sure you run through stretches after running and on off days. You're putting in some proper distance now, it becomes vital to recovery. 
  • Options
    Anyone done any half marathons between December and March? 

I’ve lost all motivation since the London Marathon so looking to book something in around then but doesn’t seem much out there at this time of year (understandably maybe)
  • Options

I’ve lost all motivation since the London Marathon so looking to book something in around then but doesn’t seem much out there at this time of year (understandably maybe)
    I've booked the Lee Valley Velopark half on 29th Jan. Looks a bit samey as its laps of the same course but like yourself it's more to do an organised half than anything
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Depending on where you're based, Paddock Wood half is 13th March and is fairly flat I believe
  • Options
    January / February is a good time of year for a lot of events as a lot of people use races of various distances at that time of year to build up their race pace ahead of the usual London Marathon in April.

You've got the Dartford Half Marathon | Hastings Half Marathon in March

Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon in February

https://www.nice-work.org.uk/races/?location_id=&month=&year=&sector_id=19&keyword=&latitude=&longitude=&start=12
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I’ll take a look at all suggested
  • Options
    Just been offered and accepted a chance to run for Wizz kidz in the London marathon next year :)
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Just been offered and accepted a chance to run for Wizz kidz in the London marathon next year :)
    Nice one @shine166 . If I remember rightly they're one of the charities that are really good with their runners
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Nice one @shine166 . If I remember rightly they're one of the charities that are really good with their runners
    Ah amazing, that's great news. Glad I've been accepted so early, gives me 11 months to get in the best shape I can. 
  • Options

I've booked the Lee Valley Velopark half on 29th Jan. Looks a bit samey as its laps of the same course but like yourself it's more to do an organised half than anything
    The Velopark is somewhat soul destroying even at 5 or 10k, but especially for a half I can see its  being a great way to practice pacing, splits, timing yourself without overexerting- much easier to pace when your body knows what's coming next!
  • Options

Brighton half used to be February 
  • Options
    Volunteered at Hilly Fields juniors this morning in the wind and rain - 18 runners, 18 volunteers!

Despite the lousy weather, 177 at Charlton yesterday - a few very muddy spots, could be a squelchy winter there!
  • Options

The Velopark is somewhat soul destroying even at 5 or 10k, but especially for a half I can see its  being a great way to practice pacing, splits, timing yourself without overexerting- much easier to pace when your body knows what's coming next!
    They also usually do a 10-mile option there on the same day, which I've done a couple of times.

Agree that it can be hard going though doing 10 laps of the same course - and especially when you someone who started at the same time then laps you!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
  • Options
    Good work Shine! Take the afternoon off. 
  • Options
    Good work Shine! Take the afternoon off. 
    Cheers mate, home to toddler duty 😪 lol
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend an affordable running watch. Not sure if they exist, but one with GPS and an MP3 player, ideally.

Cheers
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Can anyone recommend an affordable running watch. Not sure if they exist, but one with GPS and an MP3 player, ideally.

Cheers
    My answer to this is based on what phone you have, if you have an iPhone then a Apple Watch SE, if you’re on Android, see if you can pick up a Garmin Fenix from previous editions 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

Cheers
    Garmin Forerunner 245 music does the job for me - it tracks your runs and plays podcasts, music, etc. Available around £200 so not that affordable, but I don’t think you’ll get anything with those features for less. 
  • Options
    I have the galaxy watch 4, doing great so far. 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

Cheers
    If you run with your phone on you, look at the Garmin FR45. If you're looking to leave your phone at home, then there's a number of music versions of garmin watches, though their memory is often small. 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

Cheers
    Garmin Forerunner 245 music does the job for me - it tracks your runs and plays podcasts, music, etc. Available around £200 so not that affordable, but I don’t think you’ll get anything with those features for less. 
    Thanks for your advice everyone. Definitely want to leave my phone at home. Main phone is Apple, but been thinking of going full time Android anyway. 

I might go for the Garmin here, I think. Thanks Brighton.

I used to live in Brighton, by the way. Got a bit bored of running on the front and didn't have the legs to tackle the hills.