Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Seed's Missing Cap (& other memorabilia)

Comments

• Options
    A fund raising page sounds good to me. Will be happy to chip in after my next statement is done later this week.
  • Options
    This is all some way off as I think setting up a campaign takes time. At the moment I'm just trying to gauge how much support there may be.

If we do go ahead we could use a site like crowdfunder.co.uk

The average campaign is apparently 5 to 6 weeks, with the maximum being 8 weeks, so you can see everything need to be set in place well in advance.
    You create your own page with a short video, and you can either just ask for donations, or you can offer rewards dependent on the size of the donation. For example, you could offer a 'free' Jimmy Seed t-shirt for a £50 donation, or your name on the plinth for a £1000 donation.

This is an area where it would be useful to have the club involved. For example, a £500 donation might earn you a behind the scenes tour of the Valley.
  • Options
    Re Jimmy's lost cap.

The National Football Museum's meeting was cancelled last Thursday but they will be having one this coming Wednesday.

• Options

The owner is clearly receptive to the idea of the cap being on public display, and given the item is still at the museum three years after the exhibition, not in a rush to get it back. In the event they are not willing to sell to you or the price is too high, perhaps they would consider either loaning the cap to Charlton Athletic Museum or even selling to the Museum at a lower rate than they would sell to a private buyer.

Good luck.
  • Options

The owner is clearly receptive to the idea of the cap being on public display, and given the item is still at the museum three years after the exhibition, not in a rush to get it back. In the event they are not willing to sell to you or the price is too high, perhaps they would consider either loaning the cap to Charlton Athletic Museum or even selling to the Museum at a lower rate than they would sell to a private buyer.

Good luck.

Worth considering if he says no. But I hope he'll say yes as I've explained I want to show the caps at talks about JS. I'll also loan to the National (or Charlton) Museum for special exhibition.
  • Options
    Latest from the Nat Footy Museum:

'When I have a moment I will send you some material relating to a WWI and Football Exhibition we did in 2014. We featured Jimmy’s cap and his story alongside that of his old Sunderland teammate Tom Wilson and that of Sam Wadsworth of Blackburn and Huddersfield Town. We focused on them for a section exploring how players who were rejected by their clubs after the war then went onto big and better things elsewhere.'

• Options
    Send the chap at the Nat Footy Museum a little nudge, and it seems he hasn't contacted the owner of the cap yet, in fact he hasn't even dug out the person's details yet. Frustrating, but he's probably very busy and all that.
    He's asked me for a DVD of Ha'way the Lads for the researchers at the museum as they didn't know about it.
  • Options
    If we are lucky enough to get the cap back it'll just leave one full cap missing: his cap for the match v. Scotland on 8th April 1922 (Purple).

Age 26
    1 21 May 1921 - Belgium 0 England 2, Stade du Daring Club de Bruxelles, Bruxelles Fr AW
    Age 27
    2 21 October 1922 - England 2 Ireland 0, The Hawthorns, West Bromwich BC HW
    3 5 March 1923 - Wales 2 England 2, Ninian Park, Cardiff AD Start
    4 19 March 1923 - England 6 Belgium 1, Arsenal Stadium, Highbury Fr HW goal 60th min
    Age 30
    5 4 April 1925 - Scotland 2 England 0, Hampden Park, Glasgow BC AL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Splendid news, Jimmy's cap is coming home!

There's a very interesting tale as to how the chap came to have the cap. Jimmy gave the cap, and a copy of his autobiography, to a close personal friend called Molly, a lady who appears in some family photo albums. She apparently turned up at Jimmy's funeral, much to the consternation of my grandmother.

One or two of you on the forum may already know about Molly. The chap who owned the cap was Molly's great nephew, and he said he'd be delighted for it to return home.

Good news, nice one
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Splendid news, Jimmy's cap is coming home!

There's a very interesting tale as to how the chap came to have the cap. Jimmy gave the cap, and a copy of his autobiography, to a close personal friend called Molly, a lady who appears in some family photo albums. She apparently turned up at Jimmy's funeral, much to the consternation of my grandmother.

One or two of you on the forum may already know about Molly. The chap who owned the cap was Molly's great nephew, and he said he'd be delighted for it to return home.

Great news! Well done.
  • Options

Great news

Just realised someone I know's grandfather lined up in an international game against your grandfather, small world!
  • Options

Great news

Just realised someone I know's grandfather lined up in an international game against your grandfather, small world!

Blenkinsop?
  • Options
    Roy Race?
  • Options
    Charles "Charlie" Charles?
  • Options
    Wilf 'Adapted for Speed' Finney?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Great news

Blenkinsop?
    I'm in touch with Blenkinsop's grandson, so he's my guess, Sheffield Red @SheffieldRed ?
  • Options

The 'wee blue devil' Alan Morton, one of the Wembley wizards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm heading up to Newcastle on Thursday to collect Jimmy's missing cap awarded for:
    19 March 1923 - England 6 Belgium 1, Arsenal Stadium, Highbury (JS scored a goal in the 60th min)
    Photo of cap shown earlier in the thread.

But there's one other missing cap and it's the one awarded for:
    4 April 1925 - Scotland 2 England 0, Hampden Park, Glasgow

Caps awarded for matches against Scotland were purple, as in the photo. Jimmy’s was earned for playing in the 1925, 2-0 away defeat.

It's a long shot, but if you see one on auction with '1925' on it, please let me know!

imageimage
  • Options
    I’m on the train to Newcastle with David Putnam to receive the cap.
    Slightly nervous.
    ‘There’s many a slip twixt cup and lip.’

Newsflash: Putnam just got off at Northallerton.
  • Options
    Newsflash latest: No he didn’t. He was in the loo.
    Like Sky, ‘never wrong for long’.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Slightly nervous.

Didn't he want to receive the cap then?
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Slightly nervous.

Didn't he want to receive the cap then?
    See update. Clearly he does then.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I hope he washed his hands!
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Can’t have done. Tap wasn’t working.
  • Options
    Great stuff and glad to hear there are still good people around.
  • Options
    By coincidence the Museum was offered another 1920s England cap this week.

Had to fork out £20 for new display heads.