Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jimmy Seed's Missing Cap (& other memorabilia)

I mentioned on Twitter recently that I had tracked down one of Jimmy's missing England caps to the National Football Museum, where it's not on display, but in storage.

I've written to them to ask if I could buy it back, and received this response:

My name is Alexander Jackson and I am a Collections Officer at the NFM. I will take your request to our next Collections Meeting for discussion with the team. This will be on Thursday and we will replay as soon as possible afterwards.

Today is Thursday, so I wait with bated breath!

The cap was for the 1923 match v. Belgium, England's very first match against a foreign team (i.e. Non 'home nation'.) I'd forgotten we didn't have that one until I did the recent talk to the Bromley Addicks.

Jimmy played five times for England. He also skippered a Tour to South Africa (no caps awarded), and played in a few 'trial' matches, for which he did receive a cap.

He was a generous chap, and gave away all but three of his medals, and some of his caps.
We still have his 1921 FA Cup winners medal (only the 11 who played in the final got the medal. No subs!)
We also have one of his his league winners medals (he earned two as captain of Sheffield Wednesday), and a 'long service' medal given to him by the Football League).

Also my mum told me an alarming tale. Apparently my dad, also a generous chap, was contacted out of the blue (in the 1980's I think) by a Dutton who my dad invited to the house. He turned out not to be a relative, but my dad nonetheless gave him an England cap.
I'm wondering if it wasn't this Belgium one. I've asked the museum where they obtained it, so I may find out later today.

I've also have a chat with Anthony Hawken, the sculptor who made the Sam Bartram statue. He says that at the time he sculpted Sam he thought I'd be an idea to have one of Jimmy too, as they were so closely tied up in Charlton's history.
I'd love that to happen one day. A pair of statues outside the entrance would look fantastic.

The problem is the cost of the statue alone would be £100,000, rather more than I had anticipated!

Even with crowdfunding, and some backing from local business, I'm not sure we could get anywhere near that figure.

Or even permission from the club to have the statue in the first place.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    We have an owner where that sort of money would be small change, but he does not do history :-).
  • Options
    Tbf I doubt the club would object, they may even think it'd help to heal the rift with fans, but after the JS Stand business there may be one or two in the club who would be cautious, or even against. That's just guesswork of course.
    But it's also quite possible that we'd have new owners once funds were potentially raised. Although 100k seems out of reach to me.
    The wonderful museum chaps will know much more about this sort of project than I do.
  • Options
    What we need is someone high up in a firm of bookies to give us 100/1 odds on us being Gillingham. We stick £1000 on and sorted.

I think there are other ways to do it other than free standing statues. Freezes, wall mounted statues, tiles and there is a stand after all.

When the dugs out are done the next stage will be to rebuild the Jimmy Seed stand and at that point something could be included in the build.

• Options

A JS statue would indeed be a highly worthy project. Perhaps if it were somehow linked with or timed together with a change of ownership it would surf what will be an absolute tsunami of goodwill for all things CAFC>

And there's no problem about new statues at The Valley - I saw at least eleven of them on Tuesday night !!
  • Options
    The appeal to raise the £100k for the Bartram statue struggled and that was when we were in the premier league. In the end I think one donor paid 50% of the money so it would happen.

I don't think it was given a huge amount of publicity though and there was no Charlton Life (and far less social media activity full stop) then.

• Options
    So Sam was 100k too, all that time ago! That probably included the plinth etc. though, but even so.
    It's a really good likeness. Some bronze statues are less appealing, Anthony did a great job.
    My thoughts are that it would only be worth it if Hawken was the sculptor, as the matching pair would be a wonderful thing. Or two wonderful things.
  • Options

A JS statue would indeed be a highly worthy project. Perhaps if it were somehow linked with or timed together with a change of ownership it would surf what will be an absolute tsunami of goodwill for all things CAFC>

And there's no problem about new statues at The Valley - I saw at least eleven of them on Tuesday night !!

Very good!
  • Options
    We struggled to raise the money for the Bartram statue and that was in the Club's prime.
    Luckily the Club had a very generous fan on side who helped out massively to get the statue finished.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    maybe we could ask a big PR company to stump up some dosh ? or Eltham Plod? both seem to have got a big slice of business lately

if we had a wealthy owner who had say £700 mill im sure he would put his gand in his pocket for a triffling 100k ---if we had one that is
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

We struggled to raise the money for the Bartram statue and that was in the Club's prime.
    Luckily the Club had a very generous fan on side who helped out massively to get the statue finished.

Yup, a fan who stumped up £50k apparently.
    Perhaps any Seed statue would be best saved for the centenary of his joining the club (May 2033). Sounds a long way off, but I'd imagine we'd have new owners by then. And time flies...
  • Options

maybe we could ask a big PR company to stump up some dosh ? or Eltham Plod? both seem to have got a big slice of business lately

if we had a wealthy owner who had say £700 mill im sure he would put his gand in his pocket for a triffling 100k ---if we had one that is

I doubt he he has one.....in fact I don't know anyone who has a 'gand' nowadays, they seem to have gone out of fashion.......at least down my way.
  • Options
    Did you get the cap?
  • Options

Did you get the cap?

No email as yet. I keep checking every 10 mins of course.
  • Options
    I don't think £100k is unrealistic, we raised £4.5k to pay for a funeral in 24 hours.

I'll start you off by pledging 1% if it gets off the ground. No one buy a new iPhone on here and we'll be sorted by Christmas!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I don't think £100k is unrealistic, we raised £4.5k to pay for a funeral in 24 hours.

I'll start you off by pledging 1% if it gets off the ground. No one buy a new iPhone on here and we'll be sorted by Christmas!

I'll match that 1%
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

I'll match that 1%
    Good man @bobmunro , but lets be careful though - the club will now think we are the famous 2%!

@JamesSeed I'm sure you are more than capable/have an in-road but if you wanted to start pushing this happy to speak to the club to sound them out etc.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

I'll match that 1%
    Good man @bobmunro , but lets be careful though - the club will now think we are the famous 2%!

@JamesSeed I'm sure you are more than capable/have an in-road but if you wanted to start pushing this happy to speak to the club to sound them out etc.
    Well it is conditional on having any money left after Fishy has finished with taxing me!!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    If Goldfinger puts as much as a brass farthing into the project I'd be most surprised.
    If you asked him who Jimmy Seed was, I strongly suspect he wouldn't have the slightest idea.......and wouldn't think of putting up a statue of him if it meant the regime having to contribute towards it.
    If this is a goer and he does contribute, l'll be only too happy to say I was wrong.
    Having said that, it goes without saying all the very best in your quest for a successful outcome.
  • Options

If Goldfinger puts as much as a brass farthing into the project I'd be most surprised.
    If you asked him who Jimmy Seed was, I strongly suspect he wouldn't have the slightest idea.......and wouldn't think of putting up a statue of him if it meant the regime having to contribute towards it.
    If this is a goer and he does contribute, l'll be only too happy to say I was wrong.

I'm not sure I would want his money supporting this project. Some money is not worth having.

I would rather this be a fans initiative unless and until any new owner would be willing to contribute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

I'll match that 1%

Fantastic potential pledges both of you!
    I don't have any ins with the club any more, and after the Jimmy Seed Stand sign saga the current management may be wary about getting involved.
    But it would be a great way of celebrating a promotion or an anniversary perhaps.
    Early stages...
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I'm not sure I would want his money supporting this project. Some money is not worth having.

I would rather this be a fans initiative unless and until any new owner would be willing to contribute.
    I share your thoughts on that!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Rob7Lee said:

bobmunro said:

Rob7Lee said:

I'll match that 1%

Fantastic potential pledges both of you!
    I don't have any ins with the club any more, and after the Jimmy Seed Stand sign saga the current management may be wary about getting involved.
    But it would be a great way of celebrating a promotion or an anniversary perhaps.
    Early stages...
    Get organising!!!

I'll be happy to help where I can.
  • Options
    I also meant to say that we're lucky that the same sculptor is available. To have a matching pair would be special.
  • Options
    Maybe we should shop around for a sculpture for the statue, 100k seems a lot to me, in these times of austerity I bet plenty of sculptures would be prepared to negotiate.
  • Options
    I agree with bobmunroe, we don't want it tainted with his money. I am willing to chip in, even though it might only be a widow(ers) mite. Good luck with the idea.
  • Options

Maybe we should shop around for a sculpture for the statue, 100k seems a lot to me, in these times of austerity I bet plenty of sculptures would be prepared to negotiate.

A lot of the costs are fixed, and based on the cost from the foundry of the metals involved.

And do you remember when the confederate statues were pulled down they turned out to crumple up, because they were hollow and made on the cheap? So alternatives are available, but at a cost.
  • Options

I don't know the first thing about the cost of such a commission......but I know that the materials will be considerable.
    I would also imagine you get what you pay for in such a project .....and we know that this sculptor has done us proud in the past with Sam's and that would give us peace of mind.
    It would also be nice to have a matching pair.
  • Options
    I'm happy to speak to the club for promotion & the like and I guess permission to sight it. Can do so as a trust board member to make it semi official.

So do we set up a page for fund raising? What do people think? Ideally if we do a free one!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    There are crowdfunding sites. But normally have a short time to raise funds.