Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Umerah joins Wycombe on loan

Comments

• Options
    Scored his second goal for Wycombe today.
  • Options
    Went to Woking to watch RCC but was generally disapointed. Good on the ball and quick, scored the winner but without the ball was just strolling around as no 10. Rarely closed down a defender but only time he did was lucky to stay on for an awful challenge. Good pace to nick interceptions though and quality goal. Also on show was Josh Staunton who was superb against a superior Daggers side.
  • Options

Lisbie played mainly in the Prem up top on his own. Was never going to be prolific. Given he was barely 6ft did a good job.

Lisbie was a really good footballer - quick and had good touch. Sadly his finishing was invariably dire
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Lisbie played mainly in the Prem up top on his own. Was never going to be prolific. Given he was barely 6ft did a good job.

Lisbie was a really good footballer - quick and had good touch. Sadly his finishing was invariably dire
    Unless playing against us.
  • Options
    Know its a lower level yet Hanlan and Umerah scoring more goals than Dodoo says it all
  • Options

Know its a lower level yet Hanlan and Umerah scoring more goals than Dodoo says it all

From what I've seen from Dodoo and I admit it's not a lot but I would rather have Hanlan or Umerah as back up to Josh until we bring in someone better.
  • Options

From what I've seen from Dodoo and I admit it's not a lot but I would rather have Hanlan or Umerah as back up to Josh until we bring in someone better.
    Apparently its us not Bury in control of Ajose's loan... If thats the case bring him bloody back over Dodoo
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Apparently its us not Bury in control of Ajose's loan... If thats the case bring him bloody back over Dodoo
    Dodoo's had, what, 90 minutes total (94 minutes according to TransferMarkt, make of that what you will)? I agree he's not looked great in that, but he has the same number of goals as Ajose in far less time (228 for Ajose).

Also, the longer he's gone, the better people think Ajose was. He was absolutely useless outside the 18 yard box. He's had two good goalscoring seasons and the rest of the time he's about 1/4. His touch is poor, his workrate is awful. He's a lower half of the table League One striker who has had a falling out at Bury and can't even get in the 18.

As for Hanlan and Umerah, I think it's worth reassesing in January. But neither of them looked ready to be a part of a promotion push coming in to this season. In his last U23 game before leaving (Sheff Wed I think it was), Umerah looked like he'd never seen a football before. He didn't have a pre-season and I think sticking around as fourth or fifth choice center forward would have been harsh on him--loaning him out was the right move I believe. As for Hanlan, also had an injury in pre-season and I think it's the same for him.

Both have shown they can score at U23 level over the last two years, and both had stretches in and around the first team but never really looked like cementing a place. I think dropping down a division to play regularly was the best thing for both of them in their development. Think of what a successful loan spell might have done for Karlan in the last couple years, or what it could do for him in the second half of the season this year.

Both of their loans run until January I believe. At that point I could see one of them coming back, and one of them staying/going out on loan again.
    I agree. Doodoo isn't the solution but think he has a bit more all round to his game that Ajose just doesn't have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

KR said he wanted two strikers in Jan. Umerah and Hanlan come back and blam, "it's like two new signings. We aren't going to go out and spend stupid money on strikers when we have two of the best prospects outside the premier league on our books".

That would be shitty to say the least.

I've said it before I have mixed feelings about our striker situation. We let Ajose and Novak go because they didn't want to be here. We let Watt go because he wasn't wanted here and potentially didn't want to be here. Vetokele was never going to come back with us in League One. I think we wanted to add another proven striker, I just don't think there was one available for an even somewhat reasonable price, and I don't think Grigg or Matty Taylor were available full stop. Some of that has to fall on Robinson and the fact that we only want players currently in Britain. Some of that is a situation where he inherited a lot of deadwood/players who didn't want to be here on big wages and it was hard to shift them.

I think canters has a very good point that Dodoo has more to his all around game than Ajose does. Dodoo might not be the answer, but it's still early days for him. Robinson seems to want pretty high fitness levels for his players, which Dodoo clearly didn't have coming in. He's not going to unseat Big Josh but now is the time when I'd expect him to be fitter and sharper and if he's able to come on in the last 15-20 minutes and get goals on a couple of occasions, that could end up being crucial to our season.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

KR said he wanted two strikers in Jan. Umerah and Hanlan come back and blam, "it's like two new signings. We aren't going to go out and spend stupid money on strikers when we have two of the best prospects outside the premier league on our books".

I've said it before I have mixed feelings about our striker situation. We let Ajose and Novak go because they didn't want to be here. We let Watt go because he wasn't wanted here and potentially didn't want to be here. Vetokele was never going to come back with us in League One. I think we wanted to add another proven striker, I just don't think there was one available for an even somewhat reasonable price, and I don't think Grigg or Matty Taylor were available full stop. Some of that has to fall on Robinson and the fact that we only want players currently in Britain. Some of that is a situation where he inherited a lot of deadwood/players who didn't want to be here on big wages and it was hard to shift them.

I think canters has a very good point that Dodoo has more to his all around game than Ajose does. Dodoo might not be the answer, but it's still early days for him. Robinson seems to want pretty high fitness levels for his players, which Dodoo clearly didn't have coming in. He's not going to unseat Big Josh but now is the time when I'd expect him to be fitter and sharper and if he's able to come on in the last 15-20 minutes and get goals on a couple of occasions, that could end up being crucial to our season.
    He's got to be played in the right position though when he comes on, he's a striker not a winger.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

SDAddick said:

He's got to be played in the right position though when he comes on, he's a striker not a winger.
    Who? Hanlan or Umerah?
  • Options

I'm not having a pop at either Hanlon or Umerah but are they really two of the best prospects outside the premier league ? I seriously doubt that.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    SDAddick said:

Kap10 said:

SDAddick said:

Who? Hanlan or Umerah?
    Dodoo

I'm not having a pop at either Hanlon or Umerah but are they really two of the best prospects outside the premier league ? I seriously doubt that.

Aribo isn't like Vieira or even Dele Alli but KR still said it. I'm sure they're not but a few more goals and KR will be hyping them up come January.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

Kap10 said:

SDAddick said:

Who? Hanlan or Umerah?
    Dodoo

Aribo isn't like Vieira or even Dele Alli but KR still said it. I'm sure they're not but a few more goals and KR will be hyping them up come January.
    Dodoo has played most of his career on the wing.

And on the Vieira thing he said that Aribo had traits like Vieira not that he was the next Vieira.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

Kap10 said:

SDAddick said:

Who? Hanlan or Umerah?
    Dodoo

Dodoo has played most of his career on the wing.

And on the Vieira thing he said that Aribo had traits like Vieira not that he was the next Vieira.
    Dodoo probably has, was just saying that's who Kap was talking about.

On Aribo the point was KR was hyping him up, just as he most likely will if Hanlan and/or Umerah come back in January. If Aribo was a future Prem player he probably wouldn't be on our bench at the age of 21.
  • Options

I don't think that in any way, they have potential but it is a classic out for managers under this regime (especially KR). That we are a club that gives youngsters a chance and doesn't pay "over the odds" for players" - therefore we should be happy that we don't sign any senior strikers to replace departing ones.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

The Wycombe manager is always at the U23 games.

Gareth Ainsworth is someone I'd like to see as Charlton Manager one day - Does a very good job @ Wycombe on a very tight budget it seems
    "Tight budget? Hello is that Wycombe Town? Wanderers, sorry. Yes, my names Roland....."
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

wasn't KM quoted as saying we only wanted players good enough for the Championship? I am fairly sure that is why we missed out on targets...they went to Championship clubs as they were good enough...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017

SDAddick said:

wasn't KM quoted as saying we only wanted players good enough for the Championship? I am fairly sure that is why we missed out on targets...they went to Championship clubs as they were good enough...
    I don't remember that, but our alleged interest in Godden and Akinde would bely that.

To be fair, I think there's an argument to be made that the rest of our signings since KR has come in have all either played in the Championship or look to be of Championship quality (with maybe the exception of Page).
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Shitty but absolutely true to form.
    Plus we'll be lumbered again with Nicky Ajose cos Bury will toss him back. By roly's metrics that means FSG will have the extra body he needs - ergo no need for signings & expenditure. FSG may only get a different striker if roly accepts an offer for JM and shoves him out.
    FSG still in post at the end of January will be surprising enough, given roly's twitchy trigger finger.

• Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I don't remember that, but our alleged interest in Godden and Akinde would bely that.

To be fair, I think there's an argument to be made that the rest of our signings since KR has come in have all either played in the Championship or look to be of Championship quality (with maybe the exception of Page).
    Most of Powell's signings were clearly of people expected to make the step up too
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Most of Powell's signings were clearly of people expected to make the step up too
    NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT POWELL OR THE 2011-12 SEASON!!!!

But yes, good point ;). If you look at that team you had Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Wiggins, Stephens, Jackson, and Yann who all looked like they wouldn't be out of place in the championship.

In this team you have Amos, Konsa, Bauer, Sarr (going on one performance though), DaSilva, JFC, Kashi, Holmes, Reeves, Fosu, Magennis, and Clarke who all have either played in the Championship or look like they could make the step up.
  • Options
    ^12 Championship players but we are 6/7th and 9 behind Shrewsbury.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Plus we'll be lumbered again with Nicky Ajose cos Bury will toss him back. By roly's metrics that means FSG will have the extra body he needs - ergo no need for signings & expenditure. FSG may only get a different striker if roly accepts an offer for JM and shoves him out.
    FSG still in post at the end of January will be surprising enough, given roly's twitchy trigger finger.

FSG?
  • Options
    drewman said:

SDAddick said:

FSG?
    Friendly Scouse Gaffer
  • Options

We're 6th with a game in hand on those above us.

We're 10 games into the season. We've had some good results and some poor ones. I don't really know what to say other than I'm sorry Gobinson is still our manager.
  • Options

Compare with Sheff Utd at this same stage last season.

They'd already lost 3 games and had just snatched a last-gasp 95th minute equaliser at Fleetwood.
    Position 4th, 18 points - 6 points behind the leaders.

Without that equaliser, they would have been 6th.
    And they didn't have a game in hand.

At one stage that October, League leaders Scunthorpe were 5 points clear, but eventually struggled to make the play-offs after an alarming drop in form.

All to play for.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Compare with Sheff Utd at this same stage last season.

They'd already lost 3 games and had just snatched a last-gasp 95th minute equaliser at Fleetwood.
    Position 4th, 18 points - 6 points behind the leaders.

Without that equaliser, they would have been 6th.
    And they didn't have a game in hand.

At one stage that October, League leaders Scunthorpe were 5 points clear, but eventually struggled to make the play-offs after an alarming drop in form.

All to play for.
    On the 1st October Scunthorpe led the table, we were 18th and Millwall 19th...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37458937http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37458937