Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Biggin Hill Airshow

Anyone been. Any tips? Going tomorrow.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    The traffic queues from Keston onwards are bad, so I'd aim to get there well early.
  • Options
    All tickets sold for cars.
    Only tickets available on the day are for people on foot
  • Options
    I haven't been for years and I can't see a time when I would go.
    There ain't no Vulcan, EE Lightnings, Phantoms, Hunters, etc.
  • Options
    Nowhere near as good as it used to be but will still be a decent day out.

As others have said, traffic is a nightmare.
  • Options
    Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed, by so many, to so few.
  • Options
    Yep, suspected traffic/parking could be an issue. May look at a bus which I think is quite easy for us.
  • Options

Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed, by so many, to so few.

Bit over the top mate, it's just an air show.
  • Options

Thanks

I went in 1974.
    Traffic was queued up for miles.

• Options
    I went to the Eastbourne Airshow yesterday, fantastic day and free if you want to sit on the beach.
  • Options
    Considering the size of the show they have a fantastic line up this year. Czech Gripen and Hind, along with Belgian F16 and RAF Typhoon, plenty of heavy metal in the air!

Think Pat de France as well as the Arrows are flying tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Bit over the top mate, it's just an air show.
    That quote is NEVER over the top moosh!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    The Red Arrows have just gone over us here in Brabourne, must be on their way home from Eastbourne. Biggin Hill.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Battle of Britain flight still grounded? Always the highlight.
  • Options

Battle of Britain flight still grounded? Always the highlight.

The Merlin engines are, the others aren't.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Was going to go to our local one in Herne Bay today but we'd told my daughter she needed to be good to be able to go.

She' been a terror all week so we carried out the threat and said we weren't going - cue most of the planes flying low directly over our garden, and we could see the Red Arrowsmpke display so she got to see them anyway!

Red Arrows looked brilliant as always.
  • Options
    Skies above Biggin Hill , and my view tomorrow..
  • Options
    Cool. Can I park on your drive..:-)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Thanks

I went in 1974.
    Traffic was queued up for miles.

And youve just got home?, it must have been bad!
  • Options

I attended the air show on Saturday afternoon. The Red Arrows' display was ended abruptly when one of their number was subject to a 'bird strike'. The stricken Hawk landed with a black bird embedded into its 'nose'. Yuk. (So sorry, bird). RAF Typhoon 'Eurofighter', Czech Air Force Saab Gripen, and helicopters, Belgian Air Force F-16, Spitfires, Hurricane, B-17 Flying Fortress ('Sally B') bomber, RAF Chinook, numerous aerobatic stunt planes, and bi-planes and tri-planes from WW1. I cycled there and back, with no queues either way.
    Edit: Typhoon 'Eurofighter', The Red Arrows and La Patrouille de France on Sunday afternoon.

Would that be classed as 'air kill?'
  • Options
    Pretty sure the typhoon just went over my house, something sure as fudge made everything shudder....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDL said:

Considering the size of the show they have a fantastic line up this year. Czech Gripen and Hind, along with Belgian F16 and RAF Typhoon, plenty of heavy metal in the air!

Think Pat de France as well as the Arrows are flying tomorrow.

The French flew in about an hour ago, just like their football team coming out for the second half, all over the place.
  • Options
    If you want to get really nerdy Biggin Hill frequencies:

Approach

Tower

• Options
    I can't believe I've never been to this before, for whatever reason, any lifers veterans who have been Year in year out, welcome to hear any tips, i.e. What time to get there, how long does it go on, is it the same kinda stuff happening on Saturday/ Sunday?
  • Options
    I used to go for years until I moved away, the Grand Stand is more than worth the extra price for the views you get! It's a shame it doesn't pull in the same displays that it used to years ago (well, doesn't help that aircraft like the Harrier are no longer around, it used to be amazing to watch!) but it's still well worth it just to see the Red Arrows to be honest.
  • Options

I used to go for years until I moved away, the Grand Stand is more than worth the extra price for the views you get! It's a shame it doesn't pull in the same displays that it used to years ago (well, doesn't help that aircraft like the Harrier are no longer around, it used to be amazing to watch!) but it's still well worth it just to see the Red Arrows to be honest.

The Hariers used to out on a fantastic show but the WW2 planes have always done it for me.

I'm at the Goodwood Revival next month and they always have a decent turn out of Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs and others. It used to be a fighter airfield (Westhampnett) during the Battle of Britain.

Went on the Sally B, B17 a few years ago when it was there as part of the static display.
  • Options
    I'm at Dunsfold Wings & Wheels next weekend, quite gutted the Battle of Britain Memorial flights have been grounded so won't get to see their Lancaster/Spit/Hurricane! If you ever get the chance, go to Duxford Air Museum!
  • Options
    Why have the Memorial Flights been grounded?
  • Options

Why have the Memorial Flights been grounded?

They've found an issue with one of the Merlin engines in a Hurricane that's lead them to ground all aircraft with the same engines, they're still flying some Spits and Chipmunks though. Thankfully the aircraft are all looked after by RAF engineers so they're in the best hands and hopefully will be back very soon
  • Options

I'm at Dunsfold Wings & Wheels next weekend, quite gutted the Battle of Britain Memorial flights have been grounded so won't get to see their Lancaster/Spit/Hurricane! If you ever get the chance, go to Duxford Air Museum!

Just had a look at this, seems like a good day. Might pop along to this myself. Pity I didn't see it earlier, I'd have booked my car in for the display.

Duxford is a great day out. Not sure if they still do it but we went up in the De Havilland Rapide. Booked it on the day, think it was £25 for a 10-15 minute flight.