Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dubai

2»

Comments

• Options
    Been many times for work. As others have said, it's expensive, hot and not that exciting. There is really no history and not much local culture to experience. There are lots of malls, some good hotels and some good restaurants. Many better places to go - many nearer and probably cheaper. If you did want to visit the Middle East Oman and Jordan are nicer. If you do go, Emirates are good but all flights now seem to be crowded.
  • Options

Ditch the tin lids and take out a loan.
    There are 30,000 prostitutes in Dubai.
    Trouble is, a mate told me, they cost £500 an hour.

Best of luck - have a great trip!

This is true.......so I am told.
  • Options
    bbob said:

What's that for 2.5 mins?
    You gonna go twice then Bob?
  • Options
    Don't listen to this bunch of grumpy old men SA, there are tons of things in Dubai for kids. Couple of water parks, adventure hq, a full sized theme park (IMG), a smaller one in the Dubai mall which also has an aquarium and an ice rink. You can go up the Burj Khalifa from this mall (you'll want to pre-book) and then you've got the "dancing" fountains (6 or 7pm these are switched on) just outside which they'll enjoy. You've got an indoor ski slope in another mall. I'm fairly certain another theme park is now open which has a Legoland inside.

Temperature wise you'll be looking at mid 30s.
  • Options

bbob said:

What's that for 2.5 mins?
    You gonna go twice then Bob?
    Maybe he wants foreplay and a cigarette after?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

stonemuse said:

Stayed at Atlantis and Juneirah Beach amongst others both have water parks attached
    Both nice enough.but limited with adjoining rooms so ended up in family suites sometimes .
    Fly emirates definitely
    Should be ok weather wise April
    Last time I went May a few years back was roasting

The workers (some not all) situation does my head in , yes they are sending money back to families but they are treated like shit and we've decided not to go back there .

Sooner you book the better prices a joke . I reckon they've doubled since we first went there 15 years ago .

Totally this, they treat workers from the Indian sub-continent like shit.
    Many of the ex-pats who live there seem to have adopted this habit, seen some shocking things when over their with friends who live there.
    Yes, I was visiting a friend for the second time (so he had lived there for a while) and I noticed the way he spoke to the waiter. Made me cringe.

There will be lots for the kids to do. My friends have taken their kids to Wild Wadi which is a massive waterpark.

• Options
    Thanks for the comments very helpful
  • Options
    Be careful of any deals offered when you get to whichever hotel you go for. Girl who works with me went a couple of weeks ago with her husband. The guy looking after them upgraded their room to a much higher floor and offered them free meals in a supposedly, exclusive lounge.

When they checked out, after 5 nights, the hotel had added nearly £750 to her bill. She stood her ground and argued that if the guy didn't have the authority to offer the upgrade, that was their issue and not hers. She refused to pay any of it and after nearly an hour, the manager turned up and agreed and apologised.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Dubai is a great places to bring kids on a holiday, it does get a lot of negative press, but once you live here and visit on holiday you will get a totally different opinion.

It can be expensive in Dubai, but it also can be done on the cheap as well, but it is knowing where to go and what to do. Places I can recommend to stay for good value and location would be the following:
    Movenpick Hotel in JBR, very well priced, great location as JBR is the most popular place in Dubai, they also over an all inclusive package
    Rixos on Palm offer a very good all inclusive package - downside, the palm is a bit of pain to get around.
    Jebal Ali - likely to be the cheapest hotel and all inclusive resort you can find, it will be quiet and about 20 minutes outside of Dubai.
    Within 50 minute radios of Dubai, you have 4 theme parks, which 2 of them have only been open around 9 months and 3 water parks, you can normally get tickets on Group-On or you can buy an app called Entertainer which offers you lots of buy 1 get one free offers, it will cost around 40 quid, but you will certainly save around 300 quid in the time you are here. It will give you vouchers for nearly anywhere across the region to eat and entertainment.
    You will also find nearly every evening you will find most bars will do happy hours from around 4 - 8 where the drinks will either be buy 1 get 1 free or will be around 3.50 a pint.. I can recommend loads!!
    Also when you are in Dubai, I would strongly suggest 3 things doing a Friday Brunch, all you can eat and drink for 4 hours for around 60 quid, head down to the old town to the gold and spice souks, and go to watch the water fountaining's in Dubai Mall...
    There are negatives like there is anywhere, and people are correct, the works are not treated the best, but neither are they in there on country, they are actually making a better life for family while they are here in Dubai.
    The only way to judge a place, is to try it yourself...
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

You can go up the Burj Khalifa from this mall

Is that £500 as well?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

Dubai is a great places to bring kids on a holiday, it does get a lot of negative press, but once you live here and visit on holiday you will get a totally different opinion.

It can be expensive in Dubai, but it also can be done on the cheap as well, but it is knowing where to go and what to do. Places I can recommend to stay for good value and location would be the following:
    Movenpick Hotel in JBR, very well priced, great location as JBR is the most popular place in Dubai, they also over an all inclusive package
    Rixos on Palm offer a very good all inclusive package - downside, the palm is a bit of pain to get around.
    Jebal Ali - likely to be the cheapest hotel and all inclusive resort you can find, it will be quiet and about 20 minutes outside of Dubai.
    Within 50 minute radios of Dubai, you have 4 theme parks, which 2 of them have only been open around 9 months and 3 water parks, you can normally get tickets on Group-On or you can buy an app called Entertainer which offers you lots of buy 1 get one free offers, it will cost around 40 quid, but you will certainly save around 300 quid in the time you are here. It will give you vouchers for nearly anywhere across the region to eat and entertainment.
    You will also find nearly every evening you will find most bars will do happy hours from around 4 - 8 where the drinks will either be buy 1 get 1 free or will be around 3.50 a pint.. I can recommend loads!!
    Also when you are in Dubai, I would strongly suggest 3 things doing a Friday Brunch, all you can eat and drink for 4 hours for around 60 quid, head down to the old town to the gold and spice souks, and go to watch the water fountaining's in Dubai Mall...
    There are negatives like there is anywhere, and people are correct, the works are not treated the best, but neither are they in there on country, they are actually making a better life for family while they are here in Dubai.

I've lived in Dubai for 3 years now and i can back up a lot of this. However if your budget stretches to it, then i'd stay at Atlantis, expensive but your kids will love it.

Plenty of things for kids to do here, here's a link to give you some ideas.

https://www.visitdubai.com/en/articles/things-to-do-dubai-kids
  • Options

DubaiCAFC said:

I've lived in Dubai for 3 years now and i can back up a lot of this. However if your budget stretches to it, then i'd stay at Atlantis, expensive but your kids will love it.

Plenty of things for kids to do here, here's a link to give you some ideas.

https://www.visitdubai.com/en/articles/things-to-do-dubai-kids
    I thought you lived in Sidcup.
  • Options
    From experience, and reading the comments, most of the people that have been seem to think there's a bit to do for kids. My experience of it (on business) is that it one big attraction so there is a lot of 'manufactured' things to do, but no real culture, so it depends what your kids are into. For me it's as much one of those places that should be experienced as vegas is, man made and vulgar but a bit of a monument to where we are as a human race.

It's totally different to Doha, neither being my choice in holiday destination but each to their own.