Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dubai

Welcome some advice please

Thinking of going to Dubai for my 40th next April (Easter Holidays) with my wife and kids

My kids will be 11, 9, and 3

Is it a good pace to take kids?
Where is the best area to stay?
Best hotel to stay?
Best airline to go on?
Ok to go in April?

We have a budget for 4/5 star but the main thing is keeping the kids amused so waterparks etc.

I've never been so welcome any advice, cheers

Comments

• Emirates only way to fly
  • Beware of the heat with ur kids but april should be fine
  • Ditch the tin lids and take out a loan.
    There are 30,000 prostitutes in Dubai.
    Trouble is, a mate told me, they cost £500 an hour.

Best of luck - have a great trip!
  • Most expensive place on the planet
  • The most soulless and expensive place on the planet, unfortunately a good friend lives there so I've been over quite a lot and I think somewhere in the US would be a better place to take the kids for amusement parks etc.
  • Huskaris said:

A bunch of goat herders turned nouveau riche wanksters, the castles made on sand will soon fall again.

Just don't stray out of the international quarters in case you come across one of the poor foreign workers who have had their passports taken off them, or the women treated as property.

If it was a state in America it would be condemned.

Have a great time.

Actually about the only enlightening thing you can do in Dubai is to go down to the part of the old city where the workers live and have some great Afghan food.
  • Ditch the tin lids and take out a loan.

What's that for 2.5 mins?
  • Sponsored links:

• All the comments so far back up my personal judgment

I went to Doha for England v Brazil in 2009 and it was a very strange few days but I thought Dubai was different , maybe not
  • Worked there on numerous occasions but not my favourite place, rather soulless. Built on the fact they have the biggest of everything.

Having said that, the hotels are superb, there are dozens of great restaurants, the Harbour/Creek area is not a bad place to go in the evening, and its bloody hot during the day.

Not convinced it's s great place for kids.

If you do go, travel by Emirates ... and if you can get a deal, go business class.
  • stonemuse said:

Worked there on numerous occasions but not my favourite place, rather soulless. Built on the fact they have the biggest of everything.

Having said that, the hotels are superb, there are dozens of great restaurants, the Harbour/Creek area is not a bad place to go in the evening, and its bloody hot during the day.

Not convinced it's s great place for kids.

If you do go, travel by Emirates ... and if you can get a deal, go business class.

Just to add, my favourite hotel is Emirates Towers. You can get a suite of rooms at a reasonable cost if you find the right deal.
  • edited August 2017
    Went there in March . Stayed at the Atlantis which had the facilities you require.It is expensive but interesting. The Burge Khalif is worth visiting
  • Stayed at Atlantis and Juneirah Beach amongst others both have water parks attached
    Both nice enough.but limited with adjoining rooms so ended up in family suites sometimes .
    Fly emirates definitely
    Should be ok weather wise April
    Last time I went May a few years back was roasting

The workers (some not all) situation does my head in , yes they are sending money back to families but they are treated like shit and we've decided not to go back there .

Sooner you book the better prices a joke . I reckon they've doubled since we first went there 15 years ago .
  • edited August 2017

Stayed at Atlantis and Juneirah Beach amongst others both have water parks attached
    Both nice enough.but limited with adjoining rooms so ended up in family suites sometimes .
    Fly emirates definitely

The workers (some not all) situation does my head in , yes they are sending money back to families but they are treated like shit and we've decided not to go back there .

Sooner you book the better prices a joke . I reckon they've doubled since we first went there 15 years ago .

Totally this, they treat workers from the Indian sub-continent like shit.
  • I've been banned from going to Dubai
    I moan about beer prices over here, the wife's going with her mum instead.
  • Not worth bothering with....nor Abu Dhabi, nor Qatar, nor Kuwait.....
  • Welcome some advice please

Thinking of going to Dubai for my 40th next April (Easter Holidays) with my wife and kids

My kids will be 11, 9, and 3

Is it a good pace to take kids?
    Where is the best area to stay?
    Best hotel to stay?
    Best airline to go on?
    Ok to go in April?

We have a budget for 4/5 star but the main thing is keeping the kids amused so waterparks etc.

I've never been so welcome any advice, cheers

April will start to get warm, mid to high 90,s
    Loads for kids especially water parks, img, dubailand.

Depends on budget, but emirates airlines do some good deal with flights.

My personal choice for airline is royal Brunei.
  • All the comments so far back up my personal judgment

I went to Doha for England v Brazil in 2009 and it was a very strange few days but I thought Dubai was different , maybe not

When in doubt do nowt.

There are plenty of all-inclusives worldwide that may be better suited.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have flown both Virgin and Emirates, Emirates the best.
    For the family the Atlantis is excellent and will provide a holiday of a lifetime, is expensive but you can get deals. Look for the packages that include food as food and drink are very expensive Weather in April will hot but nice.
  • More and more places now doing all inclusive packages there are some good deals and well worth looking at. We went to the Grand Prix and stayed at a place called Jabeel Ali outside Dubai. Excellent resort and good value for money. You would then need to travel to entertain the kids beyond the usual swimming pool/beach type stuff but that is one thing that is cheap. Car hire is reasonable and as you would guess petrol very cheap.
  • Must be better options as a family
  • The kids can make great sandcastles and you can learn how to mistreat 'staff'.

About 274th on my places to visit and if you asked your kids it would probably even lower on their list.
  • stonemuse said:

Stayed at Atlantis and Juneirah Beach amongst others both have water parks attached
    Fly emirates definitely

Totally this, they treat workers from the Indian sub-continent like shit.
    Many of the ex-pats who live there seem to have adopted this habit, seen some shocking things when over their with friends who live there.
  • Oman would be OK to take kids....never been to Dubai so can't really comment on it, our friends went out there (who have friends who live out there) and said they wouldn't go back in a hurry.
  • CAFCsayer said:

Ditch the tin lids and take out a loan.

Can you pay by the minute?
    Do you only last that long?
  • I hope you all have a really great time anyway @Southendaddick :smiley:
  • Personally would give it a miss. Better places in the world for you to take the kids. I fly a lot but would say Emirates are now on a downhill slide service wise. I now avoid them. Nice airport though