Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the worst you have ever seen Charlton play?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I remember a game at the Valley when a little known Notts County forward scored a hat trick in no time. It was bloody depressing but I don't think it beats the defeat at Northwich where we were disgraceful. 

That was a poor week in the successful 100+ season under Powell.
    Freak 1st half when 4 shots on goal from county went in. Wagstaff came on and from memory scored twice and it finished 2-4.

We lost to Colchester at home that week as well 0-2 with Hamer being slow on the ball and the forward scored when Ben kicked the ball into him.

Few lows in that successful season.
  • Options
    Northwich Victoria in the cup was a very low point.
  • Options
    40 years ago today 7-0 defeat to Brighton, a day to remember I was celebrating my 18th Birthday....40 years later (more or less) we keep a clean sheet and Brighton concede 6.
    Happy birthday!
  • Options
    The 7-1 tonking at Luton hurt. I was there with a Luton mate in the home end, he was laughing at me so much the locals twigged I was Charlton and I thought my number was up. Instead they just joined in with my mate laughing.

Leeds 6-1 but I blame myself for that one, karma bit me on the arse big style. As the Leeds team coach pulled in, I got my wallet out and was offering them £20 notes as they were well and truly skint at the time.

And for pure embarrassment, Northwich. Worst I have felt leaving a match. 
  • Options
    Millwall 4 Charlton 0 about 2010. I was stuck with two Charlton mates in the Millwall crowd. Didn't even have a proper seat as they closed the doors to our seats about twenty seconds before we could get in. I sat on a wall and had to pretend to clap every time they scored. We could have been spanked for six that day. Oh and we got lost walking back to the station and had to get on a slow bus to get out of Bermondsey. 
  • Options
    Live for me is the Colchester away spanking with Miguel Llera and the Millwall 4-0. 
  • Options
    We’ve all seen some shockers - for some reason, a 3-0 defeat at Aldershot in 1974 always jumps to the front of my recollections. 
  • Options
    Is that because they had aldershots?
  • Options
    Millwall 4 Charlton 0 about 2010. I was stuck with two Charlton mates in the Millwall crowd. Didn't even have a proper seat as they closed the doors to our seats about twenty seconds before we could get in. I sat on a wall and had to pretend to clap every time they scored. We could have been spanked for six that day. Oh and we got lost walking back to the station and had to get on a slow bus to get out of Bermondsey. 
    That was a pretty crap day and we got held back for a good half hour after the game, the only positive was the Dog and Bell before the game.
  • Options
    0-1 to Wycombe under Uncle Les. Never seen a team put in less effort.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ingrained in my memory is a 2-0 loss away to Middlesbrough Dec 23rd the season we got relegated from the Prem. Got the Valley away coach up, freezing cold, number of Charlton fans must only have been in double figures. Mark Schwarzer in goal for them was kitted out in white head to toe and, for a muddy, wet pitch in December, his kit was pristine when the game finished. I genuinely don't remember us getting in their box all game. Pardew was appointed the next day to replace Les Reed. Merry chuffing Christmas!
  • Options
    Probably Northwich Victoria 
  • Options
    #1 for me it was the cup game at home Vs Wycombe Wanderers, which has been mentioned a fair few times! Les Reed at the end cheerily clapping the covered end.... then realised the dog's abuse he was getting and stuck his hands in pockets as he marched off down the tunnel. We were so awful.
    #2 Northwich Victoria away in the cup - utter embarrassment in front of the whole nation. Thanks Parky.
    #3 Colchester away & Fraye in the laundry bin. The only highlight was at half time when Tracy Leaburn introduced herself to us and also to the BFG (who was out with an injury)
    The 2-5 at home to Sheffield Wednesday has also been mooted a few times here. I'm sure we went 2-0 up and they had Kevin Phillips putting them away.
    Also the 1-6 at home to Leeds. With Alan Smith bizarrely putting his finger to his lips at the covered end when he scored - like we'd been barracking him.
    I'm sure there's others too drab to mention!
  • Options
    Considering Charlton were in the Premiership and the quality of the starting 11 the FA Cup home draw against Non League  Dagenham 2001 takes some beating .

Didn’t lay a glove on them until John Salako equalised for Charlton  with a few minutes left with a flukey deflected shot.
    Awful display but won the replay so forgotten by many.
    That replay was a shocker. One of the most boring games i've ever been to, i almost fell asleep standing up on that away terrace.
  • Options
    Tonight 😲
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Considering Charlton were in the Premiership and the quality of the starting 11 the FA Cup home draw against Non League  Dagenham 2001 takes some beating .

Didn’t lay a glove on them until John Salako equalised for Charlton  with a few minutes left with a flukey deflected shot.
    That replay was a shocker. One of the most boring games i've ever been to, i almost fell asleep standing up on that away terrace.
    I remember goalscorer Shaun Newton interview after the scrappy replay win. Premiership quality  shone through in the end. I had to laugh. The goal was in extra time.
  • Options
    This thread really could / should be the longest one running on Charlton Life, given the amount of 'tonkings' we've had down the years.
  • Options

That’s agood call but I didn’t attend that game so it’s the Dagenham league defeat 2-1 away Chris Powell manager 2011?
    That was the worst 90 minutes football I had ever seen.
  • Options
    Losing 1-0 away to Exeter about 10 years ago. Not one shot. Lost to a dodgy 90th minute penalty 
  • Options
    Watford 5 Charlton 0 
    January 2015 ranks pretty high for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Losing 1-0 away to Exeter about 10 years ago. Not one shot. Lost to a dodgy 90th minute penalty 

I agree its not the big 5,6 or 7 goal thrashings because at least the opposition has played well but the close games when we don't have a shot and we lose 1-0 and the opposition are there for the taking if we had turned up.

Blimey this could turn into a long thread 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    First half of that fleetwood home game the other week. Good god. 
  • Options
    MK dons last season was pretty bad, plenty more in the past too.
  • Options
    Probably Northwich Victoria 
  • Options
    0-5 home defeat to Leicester 1969. Eddie Firmani decided to play our winger Mike Kenning at left back to mark our former player, the brilliant Len Glover, four nil down at half time and Eddie was sacked the following Monday. 
  • Options
    The 1-0 defeat at home to Huddersfield in Bowyer’s championship season, absolutely horrific performance
  • Options
    Millwall 4 - 0 Charlton

Truly shocking, even against that lot.

First tme I'd ever left a game early (at 3-0), then the Old Bill kept us outside (joined by hundreds more when the 4th went in - Millwalll fans in raptures... that fucking Let 'em come song, and again at the end plus Quo!)

We weren't allowed to leave for the station for about 90 mins. 

Utter humiliation all round.
  • Options
    Brighton 7 Charlton 0 October 1983 takes some beating 
  • Options
    I've seen us tonked so many times over the last 50 years its hard to know where to start. I too were at the 7-0 Brighton game, (very near my birthday as well, good that I never have celebrate any of them), the Leeds 6-1, the Watford 5-0 an end of season Bolton promotion party 4-1, a northern non league club dumping us out of the cup, the list goes on. Out of the 50 years I think I can honestly say the we have been quite bad for most of it but all fans of all teams tend to feel a little short changed unless you are an Arsenal fan. They could win the world cup, (if that were possible for a club), lose the next game 2-0 and the world would be falling in for them.
    It might be better to have a more uplifting thread, "The best You've Seen Us Play" but that may be quite a short thread. The worst I have seen us play without any shadow of a doubt is now and for the last few seasons. We are awful, a third division side that would get thumped by most of the teams that lost in the past to the clubs mentioned above. But I still have a season ticket and still have that weird illogical belief that things will get better.