Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the worst you have ever seen Charlton play?

Comments

• Options
    RE: the Leeds 6-1, didnt Curbishley say in his book that both Rufus and Fish our CBs that day were both unwell hence why Leeds strolled through us?
    Viduka was a 'bit' of a handful that day.
  • Options
    40 years ago today 7-0 defeat to Brighton, a day to remember I was celebrating my 18th Birthday....40 years later (more or less) we keep a clean sheet and Brighton concede 6.
    40 years ago, my first away game outside London. 7 0 and it pissed down 
  • Options
    5-0 defeat at Swindon Town (and it was the main game on Match of the Day).
  • Options
    how long is a piece of string ?  :*
  • Options
    Wycombe at home in the Cup.

Might not be the worst performance but the  fact it was a Qtr final, Prem v League 2 and we never got close to winning it. 
  • Options
    The most disappointing display - it's a moot point as to whether it was the worst - there have been a few - for me was the Blades away in the cup.

My 14 year old son was in care and was living in Widnes. I had to work very hard and jump through big safeguarding hoops just to get agreement for him to come. The care staff had to assign someone to bring him to the area so we could meet up to go to the game. He was so excited as was I.

Thousands of us turned up, the Blades fans turned up - the ground was full. The Blades team turned up, the players coach turned up, but the players were no where to be seen. To have let down all of us sooooooo badly was was an utter disgrace.

There was clearly stuff going on with CP and RD but where was the pride in the shirt by the 22 legs of the Addicks that were on pitch?

The absolute pits! 
  • Options
    I may be part time now but when you have over a thousand games to collate its difficult to name one game.

When the opposition are really good then Luton, Hull, Watford away with 7-1, 6-0 and 5-0 respectively are not the game I would chose. We were poor obviously in all those games.

One of the worse 45 minutes in a league match at home in more recent times was the 0-2 against Cheltenham when we made them look like Barcelona. Would've been 4 but for some decent keeping by Craig Macgillivray!  2nd half Nigel Adkins brought on Leko and we played on the front foot and lost 1-2 but a game of two halves.

The sad thing is we have had too many poor performances to pick only 1 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Mk Dons away under Fraeye was a bad one. And I remember Colchester at home under Pardew being shocking.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Vs Millwall when we were playing at Upton Park - Charlton were utterly awful - Alex Rae ran rings round us that day - we lost 2-0  - Oct 1992
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    How long you got?

That's a Sagelong post.
  • Options
    That 5-0 tonking by Watford was pretty grim, just pre Luzon I think, only small highlight was pretending to score, said it all really.
  • Options
    The most disappointing display - it's a moot point as to whether it was the worst - there have been a few - for me was the Blades away in the cup.

My 14 year old son was in care and was living in Widnes. I had to work very hard and jump through big safeguarding hoops just to get agreement for him to come. The care staff had to assign someone to bring him to the area so we could meet up to go to the game. He was so excited as was I.

Thousands of us turned up, the Blades fans turned up - the ground was full. The Blades team turned up, the players coach turned up, but the players were no where to be seen. To have let down all of us sooooooo badly was was an utter disgrace.

There was clearly stuff going on with CP and RD but where was the pride in the shirt by the 22 legs of the Addicks that were on pitch?

The absolute pits! 

Stayed in a Chesterfield travel lodge with my son and was enjoying the weekend until the game started. Had chatted with Peter Varney before KO as Ebbsfleet had played the day before.
    Sheffield United were in League 1 and wanted it more with a young Centre back who ran with the ball and looked strong;
    Maguire was the name, I wonder what happened to him 🤔

The journey back from Chesterfield in the car after getting the train from Sheffield was flat and I remember the sun being an issue on the boring motorway.

Bizarrely we went on a good run after that Quarter final defeat and sure we had games in hand but we had 3 games a week to play catch up with a small squad. Sad end for Powell and Riga managed to get a tune out of the team.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I remember an awful away performance at Mancity when Wright-Phillips ran rings round us. Francis Jeffers played up front on his own and we barely touched the ball. We lost 4-0
  • Options
    I would say the worst I have seen us play is 2019-2023 
  • Options
    We got battered by Preston in one of Luzon’s last games .  Nobody tried 
  • Options
    Surely playing rubbish in the Premier or Championship doesn't compare to being beaten and playing poorly in the 3rd tier ?
  • Options
    I'm sure this will surprise many of you given our incredible cup pedigree, but the two games that immediately spring to mind as being absolutely woeful for me are:

Charlton 0 Wycombe 1 in the league cup quarter final.
    Northwich 1 Charlton 0 in the FA Cup
  • Options
    fairly recently ? .. THAT week in Yorkshire, hammered at Huddersfield. double hammered at Hull
  • Options
    Vs Millwall when we were playing at Upton Park - Charlton were utterly awful - Alex Rae ran rings round us that day - we lost 2-0  - Oct 1992
    And beamed live across the capital on LWT. One of many scars we are still carrying. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I may be part time now but when you have over a thousand games to collate its difficult to name one game.

When the opposition are really good then Luton, Hull, Watford away with 7-1, 6-0 and 5-0 respectively are not the game I would chose. We were poor obviously in all those games.

One of the worse 45 minutes in a league match at home in more recent times was the 0-2 against Cheltenham when we made them look like Barcelona. Would've been 4 but for some decent keeping by Craig Macgillivray!  2nd half Nigel Adkins brought on Leko and we played on the front foot and lost 1-2 but a game of two halves.

The sad thing is we have had too many poor performances to pick only 1 🤦🏻‍♂️
    That Cheltenham game is a contender. I had no idea what we were trying to do. It was an abomination 
  • Options
    I don't know if this has already been mentioned but one of the ones that annoyed me that most was the 0-0 against MK Dons in 2016. We were at home, we had to win and MK Dons were in total freefall. They got 3 more points from their next 10 games after that and somehow finished below us in the end, and we still couldn't do anything against them. It was a totally boring game where nothing happened until Sanogo got sent off for an off the ball elbow in injury time. 1 shot on target all game. We could have been out there against training dummies or medieval ghosts or something and it still would have ended 0-0. We might not have got tonked like in some of the other games listed here but we were really, really bad
  • Options
    Brighton 7-0 Luton away are obvious but painful ones - Bolton away I think was 1976 - lost 5-0 at old Burnden Park.Typical Manchester weather - pissed down all day I think that was squeezed in between drawing at QPR who were top of  the Old first division when we played them away in the league cup.Happy days
  • Options
    v Walsall in the cup at shithurst. I think it was freezing cold and we were shocking.
  • Options
    MK away a couple seasons ago, 2-1 loss.  
  • Options
    Pick from every away game 71/72. Cardiff away springs to mind. 
  • Options
    I'm sure this will surprise many of you given our incredible cup pedigree, but the two games that immediately spring to mind as being absolutely woeful for me are:

Charlton 0 Wycombe 1 in the league cup quarter final.
    Northwich 1 Charlton 0 in the FA Cup
    I'd forgotten about Northwich.

But seeing as they were at home & a cup "upset" is always on the cards then the Wycombe game still trumps it. 
  • Options
    Considering Charlton were in the Premiership and the quality of the starting 11 the FA Cup home draw against Non League  Dagenham 2001 takes some beating .

Didn’t lay a glove on them until John Salako equalised for Charlton  with a few minutes left with a flukey deflected shot.
    Awful display but won the replay so forgotten by many.
  • Options
    5 nil away at Watford 14-15, I left when they scored their 4th. 
  • Options
    I remember a game at the Valley when a little known Notts County forward scored a hat trick in no time. It was bloody depressing but I don't think it beats the defeat at Northwich where we were disgraceful.