Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Exeter vs Charlton League Cup 1st Round: Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Pretty poor defending for their goal - nobody took responsibility for it.
  • Options

Hadn't realised that the Clarke goal was a soft shot which got deflected in!
    Spongefoot 2.0
  • Options

I think the final touch came off Charles-Cook, was a huge deflection from terrible first shot.
  • Options
    Agree. Clarke was very lucky to score with that poor shot.
  • Options
    They all count.
  • Options
    Both the first goals to make it 1-1 were bloody awful
  • Options
    That Crofts tackle was definitely tired legs - as an ageing player, he was never going be quick enough to make up the ground and slid from too great a distance from the opponent.

From what I can make out replaying the incident in slo-mo, even if the Exeter player is playing for the foul, he does collect the ball a split second before Crofts clatters him from behind. Definitely a foul but dangerous play? IMO a lot of refs would have given only a yellow.

• Options
    HarryLime said:

anyone but Palace or Millwall.

Really don't need the distraction of a derby.

2 years ago, after a couple of wins in the league and sitting 3rd in the table, everybody having a feeling of "hmm things maybe a bit better this season" only to get drawn away to Palarse in the League Cup. From that moment of that draw, everything went pear shaped.
    A derby, No Thanks
    HarryLime said:

anyone but Palace or Millwall.

Really don't need the distraction of a derby.

2 years ago, after a couple of wins in the league and sitting 3rd in the table, everybody having a feeling of "hmm things maybe a bit better this season" only to get drawn away to Palarse in the League Cup. From that moment of that draw, everything went pear shaped.
    A derby, No Thanks
    We didn't have Fosu then. Time for revenge, bring on Palace or Millwall !
  • Options

Phillips fumbles another free kick... vs Sponge foot 2.0
  • Options

to be honest that was a pathetic 'effort'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I will be one of the 40,000 at wembley in march claiming i went to Exeter.

I thought Ed Sheeran was playing there in June though.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Except he doesn't fumble it. Maybe you didn't see Amos on Saturday, now they were fumbles.
  • Options

funny that as in may there was 40,000 there that had supported "wall" all there lifes and loves nufink more than pie mash and lickkerrrr
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Except he doesn't fumble it. Maybe you didn't see Amos on Saturday, now they were fumbles.
    You're right he got nowhere near a free kick that was floated over the attacking players and was at waist height as it went past him.

He made some fantastic blocks and saves too, from both what I have read and seen in highlights BUT It was another goal conceded where he was between the sticks from a free kick. He is young and will hopefully learn from them, but you've got to stop trying to wrap up these youth players in cotton.

I am certain he'll be pissed at himself...
  • Options

Games played week commencing 21st August, so Novak will be available to terrorise the opposition defences

and see if he can beat his 6 minute record
    This season's Lewis Page...
    Feel sorry for Page. Not much fun sitting in the wings injured before you've even made your mark at a club.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

You're right he got nowhere near a free kick that was floated over the attacking players and was at waist height as it went past him.

He made some fantastic blocks and saves too, from both what I have read and seen in highlights BUT It was another goal conceded where he was between the sticks from a free kick. He is young and will hopefully learn from them, but you've got to stop trying to wrap up these youth players in cotton.

And that is all it needs for you to dig him out. Every goal the team has conceded while he's playing has, according to you, been his fault when it clearly it isn't.

The free kick comes through a group of outfield players, none of whom attack it properly, leaving the keeper unsighted. The wall is meant to stop balls at "waist" height.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

And that is all it needs for you to dig him out. Every goal the team has conceded while he's playing has, according to you, been his fault when it clearly it isn't.

The free kick comes through a group of outfield players, none of whom attack it properly, leaving the keeper unsighted. The wall is meant to stop balls at "waist" height.
    Wasn't waist height until it got to Phillips, and I'm sorry but his positioning is all wrong if he's unsighted for that free kick, or he needs contact lenses
  • Options
    Not sure where to put this information, but after the talk of Euell going to Exeter, I heard someone from Southend on Talksport saying that their under 23 team are playing a Charlton team at Sparrows Lane this afternoon. Most under 23 players were at Exeter, so wondering what players are taking part
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Wasn't waist height until it got to Phillips, and I'm sorry but his positioning is all wrong if he's unsighted for that free kick, or he needs contact lenses
    You see those kind of goals occasionally, in all leagues. It's not normally deemed to be the goalie's fault, more like a freak goal. You'd expect someone to get on a head on it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

sam3110 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

You see those kind of goals occasionally, in all leagues. It's not normally deemed to be the goalie's fault, more like a freak goal. You'd expect someone to get on a head on it.
    exactly
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

I thought Ed Sheeran was playing there in June though.
    Pretty sure that dragon got him in Game of Thrones mate
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

The ball was played through the air, floated over the wall... It wasn't coming at him with any real pace and a good old fashioned fist would have dealt with it.

I am criticising him where I see he has made mistakes. I stood up for him when he pushed the ball out of goal, but into a strikers feet in one of the PSFs but if you want to believe that I think he's shite because of it you're very wrong.

I see his confidence is shot and he is making wrong decisions (IMO), but he's the pro, not me or you and I believe a few cup games with a clean sheet or two will sort him out.

Either that or he needs to copy something I read Ronaldo does...

You take the lessons of the mistakes you make that day no longer and the next morning you ignore all the bad parts of each game that you were involved in and remember all the good parts. How can you ever be lacking confidence when every game, even a loss can be a good personal performance in your mind...

(though Ron isn't a GK and his mistakes are rarely costly!)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I've been sad enough to find a website which says which teams are seeded and not. We are not so i believe our possible opponents are the following...
    Southampton

AFC Bournemouth

West Bromwich Albion

West Ham United

Leicester City

Stoke City

Crystal Palace

Swansea City

Burnley

Watford
    Hull City

Middlesbrough

Newcastle

Brighton

Reading

Sheffield Wednesday
    Huddersfield Town

Fulham

Norwich City

Brentford

Cardiff City

Aston Villa (if they beat Colchester)
    Leeds United (if they beat Port Vale)

Sunderland (if they beat Bury)

Derby County/Grimsby Town
  • Options
    Leicester, Derby or the massives away will all suit me nicely if that's the case
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

The ball was played through the air, floated over the wall... It wasn't coming at him with any real pace and a good old fashioned fist would have dealt with it.

I am criticising him where I see he has made mistakes. I stood up for him when he pushed the ball out of goal, but into a strikers feet in one of the PSFs but if you want to believe that I think he's shite because of it you're very wrong.

I see his confidence is shot and he is making wrong decisions (IMO), but he's the pro, not me or you and I believe a few cup games with a clean sheet or two will sort him out.

You take the lessons of the mistakes you make that day no longer and the next morning you ignore all the bad parts of each game that you were involved in and remember all the good parts. How can you ever be lacking confidence when every game, even a loss can be a good personal performance in your mind...

I remember it being a good old fashioned save
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Is this about Phillips? I though he had rave reviews for the games yesterday? Hardly anyone's mentioned the goal we conceded, so I'd expect his confidence to be ok compared to Amos who looked pretty wobbly on Saturday I thought.
  • Options
    Away to Wet Spam, I reckon we look better when viewed from 300 yards away