Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 25th May 1998. Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 - YOUR ACCOUNTS

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: mad83[/cite]This was my 1st full season with season ticket and odd away game, after my dad took me to my first game the previous season and I caught the Charlton Addicktion.

I never expect a season as good as that one having finished 15th the season before, and the way that 97/98 season ended was a fitting for one which was so great.

That team and that game will always have a place in my heart and the memories it left me with will never be forgotten.

Steve Brown's Challenge to set up the forth goal.

Rufus's 1st goal.

The teams fighting spirit and togetherness that made you feel even at 3-2 Sunderland it wasn't over (I will admit I was starting to doubt at 4-3 but I'm glad I was wrong).

Mendonca's hat trick.

Choking my brother as he was in the row in front every time we scored and him pleading with me to try not to do it for every penalty.

Ilic's penalty save and everything going mad and hugging people I'd never met and would probably never meet again.

And that's just to recall a few just wish I'd been a bit older so I could have celebrated it after like I would have done now.

A great day.

brilliant post mate, sums it up, what a day
  • The silence walking down Wembley Way after the game.

Everyone was so drained
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]However if I can choose one memory to stay with me forever it would be the humble feeling I had when we waiting to get on our coach home, having a few beers in the Car Park at Wembley, all of us chatting excitedly, hugging each other etc and were approached by a bunch of drained and tear filled eyed Mackems, who had the grace to come over to us and shake all of our hands and wish us the best of luck.....I was gob smacked (those who know me will know that doesn't happen often) and mumbled a few "Cheers Mate"s.

I'm not too sure I'd have been able or willing to do the same had I just been through the mill and lost like they had.

I'm with you on that one - they were superb. Went away with my wife and kids for a few days the following day and met loads of Sunderland at one of the service stations. They were still coming over and shaking our hands and congratulating us - that's class and, like Dan, I'm not convinced I could do the same.
  • Oh and one other thing I just remembered that made me smile.

Being in a pub up Bexleyheath after the coach had dropped us off and my brother saying to me we should sign Neil Redfern he would do a job for us next season.

My brother and his strange ideas.
  • First Time a Cried at a Football Match
  • Spurs fan on here JohnboyUK come with us, and nearly had to be carried out as he was close to have a anxiety attack with all the tension !
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]The silence walking down Wembley Way after the game.

Everyone was so drained

thats what sticks in my head we were all finished...
  • I was doing a deal with a tout (yes he was scouse) in the loos underneath Wembley Way with Brian Little having a slash behind me about 10 mins before kick-off.I've no idea if he was Little by name and Little by nature though.
  • I didn't celebrate the 4th Charlton goal, just didn't have anything left in the tank, and hardly remember the penalties. The game and the day is a blur.
  • edited May 2008
    I had recently moved to Norfolk and was working 18 hour days seven days a week to get my new retail business running right. The game being on a bank holiday and an vital selling day, it was difficult to organise the time but in the end I was able to come down and stay with my Dad and Mum in the Bromley area after we closed for business on Sunday.

I went with my Dad, my Wife, amd my Dads best mate, who we picked up on the way to Orpington Station. Caught a train to Charing Cross (with a few other Addicks). Then got the Jubilee Line to Wembley. The driver of the train, who was clearly a Palarse fan gave us some good natured stick over the tannoy and we arrived by about 12.30pm.

I remember the friendly atmosphere as we mingled with the Mackems and eventually decided to take our seats and watch all the pre-match stuff.

I was feeling Ok but not unduly nervous as the game kicked off. That changed when Sir Clive scored the first. That "we're most dangerous when we're winning feeling" settled into my brain and the pit of my stomach. I don't remember saying much at half-time, just feeling uneasy.

I knew somehow that we would concede fairly quickly after the break, (although not that quickly) as Quinn equalises. Then Philips goal - I was expecting it. Typical Charlton. Hope came with Sir Clives second but then I didn't expect us to keep them out. Quinn again! The games over I thought. I really had given it up when, almost in slow motion, Rooofus, rises and the ball seems to take ages before nestling in the net. Five minutes of normal time. Dare I believe?

Extra time starts and then the inevitable happens thanks to Mr Summerbee. 4-3 bloody hell. We've got to a Wembley final, scored 3 and we're still on the losing side. Then the unbelievable goal that was Sir Clives 3rd. That goal seemed to sum up our season. A great challenge by Brownie, the ball goes to Jones and his cross, like much of his shooting that season was slightly off course. he pulls it back behind Sir Clive. Suddenly he somehow controls it, swivels and the balls in the net. I'm out of my seat hugging friends family and strangers alike. This wasn't in my pessimistic script, This was not at all what I imagined would be the outcome.

The rest of extra time was spent in unfamiliar territory, I stared to believe we might win this. Newtons powerful run and shot into the side netting had me out of my seat again, rubbing my eyes and cleaning my glasses. The final whistle went - Penalties

I watched the first 12 taken. Sasa nearly saved the one from Makin, other than that they all seemed unsaveable. Up steps Newts. I could see he was nervous, I just had to look away. The roar around me told me all I needed to know. Michael Gray. I daren't look - a thought, flashed up in my brain, it's 7-6 ,how significant is that scoreline to all Addicks? I did look, Sasa saves it. Cue screaming, cue dancing, cue hugging, cue kissing, cue crying!! A grown man, not easily stirred to emotion crying like a baby. The noise of the crowd around me was awesome. The players lying in a huge heap on top of one Keeper.

Then Kins lifts the trophy, the fireworks explode, the music plays. Finally the celebration is over and we troop out. As we leave the perimeter of the stadium there is an eerie silence. As if we'd witnessed something shocking. It was shocking. The brutality of the penalty shoot out, the agony of the losers, the thought that it could have been us walking down Wembley way with our hearts on the floor. As Charlton Dan has said, I remember the sportmanship of Mackem fans, they clapped us from their coaches as they passed us. They were magnificent in defeat.

We continued to walk in virual silence towards the underground station keeping our thoughts private as to what we had wtinessed

And so onwards back to my Dads. We watched the highlights on ITV just in case it was all a dream, then headed north for Norwich. It had been a surreal, unbelieveable, but totally unforgetable day. I can still feel the emotion now and the tears start to well. Thank you Curbs, thank you Richard, that you Addicks. My life changed on that day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just had a great day and night,and took the next day off and went on it in Charlton pubs
  • I queued nearly five hours for my ticket so plenty of time to chat to those around me, none of whom I knew. One guy had left his 9 month pregnant wife (the baby was born between ticket sales day and the match) and by the time we got served it made sense so we all sat together high above the far corner flag (opposite the main stand).

What I remember most was trying to kill time for a few hours in the morning, the day just dragged so I called my friend and we decided to go early, met at Orpington station train to Charing Cross, a couple of beers in Covent Garden in All Bar One then on the tube to Wembley. On the way we got talking to some Sunderland fans, nice people and we walked up Wembley Way together. At the top we shook hands, wished each other luck and I warned them about the Sunderland supporting Mendonca...
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I had recently moved to Norfolk and was working 18 hour days seven days a week to get my new retail business running right. The game being on a bank holiday and an vital selling day, it was difficult to organise the time but in the end I was able to come down and stay with my Dad and Mum in the Bromley area after we closed for business on Sunday.

I went with my Dad, my Wife, amd my Dads best mate, who we picked up on the way to Orpington Station. Caught a train to Charing Cross (with a few other Addicks). Then got the Jubilee Line to Wembley. The driver of the train, who was clearly a Palarse fan gave us some good natured stick over the tannoy and we arrived by about 12.30pm.

I remember the friendly atmosphere as we mingled with the Mackems and eventually decided to take our seats and watch all the pre-match stuff.

I was feeling Ok but not unduly nervous as the game kicked off. That changed when Sir Clive scored the first. That "we're most dangerous when we're winning feeling" settled into my brain and the pit of my stomach. I don't remember saying much at half-time, just feeling uneasy.

I knew somehow that we would concede fairly quickly after the break, (although not that quickly) as Quinn equalises. Then Philips goal - I was expecting it. Typical Charlton. Hope came with Sir Clives second but then I didn't expect us to keep them out. Quinn again! The games over I thought. I really had given it up when, almost in slow motion, Rooofus, rises and the ball seems to take ages before nestling in the net. Five minutes of normal time. Dare I believe?

Extra time starts and then the inevitable happens thanks to Mr Summerbee. 4-3 bloody hell. We've got to a Wembley final, scored 3 and we're still on the losing side. Then the unbelievable goal that was Sir Clives 3rd. That goal seemed to sum up our season. A great challenge by Brownie, the ball goes to Jones and his cross, like much of his shooting that season was slightly off course. he pulls it back behind Sir Clive. Suddenly he somehow controls it, swivels and the balls in the net. I'm out of my seat hugging friends family and strangers alike. This wasn't in my pessimistic script, This was not at all what I imagined would be the outcome.

The rest of extra time was spent in unfamiliar territory, I stared to believe we might win this. Newtons powerful run and shot into the side netting had me out of my seat again, rubbing my eyes and cleaning my glasses. The final whistle went - Penalties

I watched the first 12 taken. Sacha nearly saved the one from Machin, other than that they all seemed unsaveable. Up steps Newts. I could see he was nervous, I just had to look away. The roar around me told me all I needed to know. Michael Gray. I daren't look - a thought, flashed up in my brain, it's 7-6 ,how significant is that scoreline to all Addicks? I did look, Sacha saves it. Cue screaming, cue dancing, cue hugging, cue kissing, cue crying!! A grown man, not easily stirred to emotion crying like a baby. The noise of the crowd around me was awesome. The players lying in a huge heap on top of one Keeper.

Then Kins lifts the trophy, the fireworks explode, the music plays. Finally the celebration is over and we troop out. As we leave the perimeter of the stadium there is an eerie silence. As if we'd witnessed something shocking. It was shocking. The brutality of the penalty shoot out, the agony of the losers, the thought that it could have been us walking down Wembley way with our hearts on the floor. As Charlton Dan has said, I remember the sportmanship of Mackem fans, they clapped us from their coaches as they passed us. They were magnificent in defeat.

We continued to walk in virual silence towards the underground station keeping our thoughts private as to what we had wtinessed

And so onwards back to my Dads. We watched the highlights on ITV just in case it was all a dream, then headed north for Norwich. It had been a surreal, unbelieveable, but totally unforgetable day. I can still feel the emotion now and the tears start to well. Thank you Curbs, thank you Richard, that you Addicks. My life changed on that day.

bing, thats a fantastic post, that gave me goosebumps dood
  • Went to the game with my parents and sister, her Gooner boyfriend, a couple of his Charlton supporting mates, and a random friend of hers from university, who was roped in a couple of days before when someone else dropped out. Due to a slight cock up in organisation over buying tickets we were split into two groups of 4 about 6 rows apart behind the goal, with Gooner and one friend sat with my parents, and me sat with my sister and the other two. Had several conversations with Sunderland fans before the game, and the general consensus was that it'd probably be a tight match, and just the one goal would probably settle it, as both our defences had been playing out of their skins recently. How wrong can you be?

Can't really remember much about the first 90 minutes at all, apart from the combination of utter relief and elation when the equaliser went in to make it 3-3, and trying to work out who the hell had scored as it was down the far end. Was gutted when Sunderland got their 4th, as wasn't sure that we could come back yet again. And then that crunching tackle came in from Steve Brown (you could practically hear it from where we were), Steve Jones crossed, and Mendonca somehow turned and thumped the ball in the back of the net. I jumped up so quickly at that point I actually felt a bit dizzy.

At the end of extra time it was decided that my sister's boyfriend would come and sit with us, as every time something exciting happened she'd grab hold of my arm and squeeze it half to death, and I didn't think I'd survive the penalties in one piece. The penalties were taken down the other end, so it was a bit surreal as there was always a slight delay between the ball going in and the cheers reaching us. Ilic got a hand to one of their penalties (Makin?) but then the cheer from the Mackems meant we knew it had gone in. It was too much to hope for that Rae would miss his, so then we were down to sudden death.

If I'd known that Robbo had never scored from a competitive penalty before, and had only taken about 3 or 4 ever in his career, I think I'd have been more worried, but with Shaun Newton I felt physically ill. There was something about the way he walked / jogged up to the area, combined with the short run up, that just screamed "he's gonna miss this". And then Gray scuffed his penalty, Sasha held on to it, and I completely missed the bundle of players on the pitch as I was too busy jumping up and down and hugging my sister, her boyfriend and her random mate.

As others have said, after all that we were knackered, and it was a very quiet journey home. In fact one of our neighbours assumed we must've lost from the way we looked when we got back. Then having got our second wind, and it being a lovely evening, we took a few bottles, cans and nibbles and had a mini celebration on the heath outside the Princess of Wales. The pub was absolutely chock full of Charlton fans, and I think they were showing the game on the screen again, and every now and then a car would go past with a red flag or scarf fluttering from the window, and a cheer would go up from those gathered outside. It was a great night, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
  • edited May 2007
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Spurs fan on here JohnboyUK come with us, and nearly had to be carried out as he was close to have a anxiety attack with all the tension ![/quote]

Yep, I passed out seconds after Rufus equalised (was it 3-3 at the end of ET?) when we were jumping up and down celebrating the goal. After several people standing near us tipped their bottles of water over me, I came around again, only to be told the game was going into ET. Anxiety wasnt the word for it. The highs and lows of that first 90mins was probably the most exhausting 90mins of watching football I've ever watched.

Absolutely fantastic game to watch and was amazing to share the atmosphere. Will never forget the Mackems on the coaches crying their eyes out but still clapping every Charlton fan that they passed. Puts sport into perspective.

Ranks up their with one of the best games I've ever seen at Wembley, alongside our FA Cup Semi-Final win against the Ars*nal in 1991.

The best memory though will be when we got back to the Camden in Bexleyheath with AFKA when Rich (our Palace fan friend) paid up a rather large bet that Charlton wouldnt win the game.
  • [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK

The best memory though will be when we got back to the Camden in Bexleyheath with AFKA when Rich (our Palace fan friend) paid up a rather large bet that Charlton wouldnt win the game.

If i remember, we were going to go straight home we were all so knackered, but we got off the train at Bexleyheath, walked to the top and saw all the singing coming from both bars, and said we would 'pop in for one' !

LOL, turned into another 10 !!
  • I went with my 3 daughters. It was the first game for the youngest one who accompanies me now. Her second game was Sittingbourne away the following pre season, the sublime to the ridiculous!

Others have described the emotion of the day as well if not better than me. My brother and his wife were with us and I remember hugging my family members and complete strangers who were behind and in front of us. It was a surreal experience as was the eerie silence, shock whateever you want to call it as we finally left.

I just want to salute the Supporters Club, Wendy Perfect in particular, for coordinating things and Kevin Banks for his efforts in making the coach trip from Gas Hill Rochester an enjoyable one.

There have been well documented political differences over the years regarding the supporters club, branches, independent this, independent that, blah, blah BUT this was a day the whole Charlton Community pulled together, a reward after the tribulations of the previous decade and more.

I don't think we will ever surpass that day in terms of supporter unity but it sounds like AFKA and his team had a damned good shot at it on Tuesday.
  • Along with the two Afka has mentioned in another thread and my first ever game at the Valley and now last Tuesday, the pinnacle of my Charlton experiences.

I was operating the VFR Fanzine at the time and was juggling with the prospect of selling an edition on the day or just leaving it and concentrating on the match. I decided on the former and prepared a 'Lottery Style' front cover, with the caption, 'It could be us'. Printed a few thousand and my tiny band of sellers, plus the whole family headed to Wembley, so I passed on the pre match drinkies.

For some reason early on, it seemed like Wembley Way was full of only Mackems, so sales were sluggish and by the time the armies of Addicks started to filter through, I thought sod this I want to get into the stadium and soak up the atmosphere, so I just started giving them away right outside the ground. Was met by a few of Wembley Security's finest, who said I wasn't allowed to hand stuff out without permission, so I just dropped them all on the floor and invited fans to take them. The perplexed look on their faces was a picture and by the time they radio'd in for advise, they'd all gone, and so was I.

I didn't wear colours, the last time I'd been to Wembley to watch the Addicks, I was festooned in Red and White and we lost, so superstition took over and I went plain. The rest of my family and friends, 12 of us in all, more than made up for my retisence.

No point in recollecting the game as many have done so far more eloquently than me, I just remember thinking, shit me if Rufus can score, then anything is possible today. But the level of nervousness I had been feeling all day was higher than I had ever felt at any time in my life before and when we went into extra time and then penalties, I wasn't sure how I could cope with any more, let alone the players.

My most vivid memory, was looking at my kids just as the penalties began. Now as a parent you're not sure if your kids come along to Charlton because they want to, or because you want them to. But as we anxiously awaited the start of the spot kicks I glanced to my left and saw that the occasion had got to them already and they were crying their eyes out. I can't begin to tell you how proud that made me feel!

The celebrations that erupted when Sasa made that save were quite phenomenal and I just kept screaming, 'we've done it, we've f**king done it'. I knocked some guys glasses in front of me whilst hugging him and they flew about twenty rows away, don't know if he ever got them back.

Like so many, I felt I'd been emotionally raped and was so drained I just stayed around the stadium steps when we finally left our seats, for what seemed like an eternity, we'd planned to go to Charlton or Bexleyheath to celebrate in the evening, but I just couldn't, I was just too knackered, so we went home and I flaked out with a beer.

I too ran into some friendly gracious Mackems afterwards, only one barbed a comment to me, saying that we would back down next season, to which I replied, maybe, but you'd swap places right about now eh? He succumbed, agreed and we shook hands and wished each other good luck as he left the train.
  • [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]
    My most vivid memory, was looking at my kids just as the penalties began. Now as a parent you're not sure if your kids come along to Charlton because they want to, or because you want them to. But as we anxiously awaited the start of the spot kicks I glanced to my left and saw that the occasion had got to them already and they were crying their eyes out. I can't begin to tell you how proud that made me feel!

that's grand.
  • I must confess i have very few specific memories of that game (far too many brain cells died) but of course the pen's will stay in my mind forever as will the fact that i cried uncontrollably for about twenty minutes after the final whistle, still get the piss taken for that.

Went up on a coach from Joydens Wood organised by a mate i seem to remember, and the rest as they say is a blur.

Can't really believe that it is now 9 effing years ago Christ I feel old BUT have we considered what a great p*ss up may be had this time next year not only promotion at the new Wembley but ten years almost to the day since the last time? I would give good money to bet that it won't be such a superb match though.
  • Sponsored links:

• taken from another thread i commented on:

i didnt watch our players taking the penalties, only the sunderland ones. i don't know why but ive done that ever since for other Charlton games and England games.

When Sasa saved that the tears rolled down my cheeks, face paint started running me, my mum and my dad were hugging loads and all crying together. i remember my mum whispering in my ear saying that my granddad who recently had passed away had be willing us on for the rafters. Amazing moment.

it was such an emotional moment and quite possibly the closest i have ever felt to my parents (thats pretty sad i know). It really does make me well up even just thinking about that day.
  • I know i only went to a few games before this game with my family but this was a proper family day out, dad, grandad, cousins, aunts, uncles. my cousins had season tickets with my gdad and uncle, and were well up for it with their faces painted with cafc on, my grandad had a red curly wig on and we all had flags.

i remember standing at the bottom of the stairs outside the ground for ages, my cousins were sucking in helium and talking with high pitched voices, till one of them fainted and everyone rallied round him. i also remember my dad and uncle asking me to take their pic with some 'woman off the telly' turned out to be helen chaimberlain.

i don't remember much about the game, other than being worried my grandad was going to do himself an injury if he kept on jumping around with the wig on for much longer.

have got absolutely no memory of travelling home or anything, just that everytime i hear "let me entertain you" i think of the players coming out of the tunnel with curbs in that creme suit, and when i hear "we are the champions" i get the shivers thinking of that day.

like someone else, i wish i had been a couple of years older to experience it as it probably would have meant more now than then, having said that, listening to the commentry and reading other people's stories has me with shivers and tears welling up!

cant wait to go up again, just for that feeling again! as champions tho of course!
  • edited May 2007
    Some fantastic memories guys!

All with one common denominator! We all seemed to feel the same way!

A mixture of a sense of "Is this really happening to little old us after all we've been through?" and a true sense of community and belonging!

I know maybe I am just a smidge biased but would it have been the same for any other club? Well it might well have been, but even if I am being a touch ignorant I don't care.... I just don't think it would have been. This is my club and love it!

Now, before I have to run to the loo with something in my eye, what money us at Wembley next year for the 10 year anniversary?
  • Was on a stag do in Dublin. Fortunately my mate was a travel agent and was able to change my afternoon flight to a 7 am one. Was supposed to meet my brother and friends in the Griffin but they weren't there but met some old school friends I hadn't seen in years. Eventually found my brother in the Princess of Wales(?). Threw up outside. Decided to get there early to soak up the atmosphere. Fantastic game, fantastic goals. As said else where you won't see a better hat trick. For me Rufus' tackle on Phillips which forced him off injured was crucial as Sunderland were 2-1 up and starting to boss the game a bit with Phillips/Quinn looking sharp. None of the CAFC pens were along the ground - I think the management had done their homework on the Sunderland keeper. Remember the silence down Wembley Way afterwards. Then back to the Polo Bar for the end of the Stag Do.
  • Nobody ever mentions the most important moment in this game, IMHO. We were 2-1 down and struggling when one of our players (I can't actually remember who it was!!) took out Kevin Phillips way off the ball. He was a good player at the peak of his career & his partnership with Quinn was prolific. He never recovered & had to be substituted. As he limped off I remember thinking very clearly "We can win this now!!".

My favourite Charlton goal of all time was Roof's header. Mrs Red_Pete got so over excited that she had a panic attack as that goal went in and had to go and sit in the Ladies for a few minutes to calm down.

One of the best days of my life.
  • The previous Wednesday I got a strange phone call from someone at the League, telling me I'd been volunteered to go on the pitch before the game and say a few words of encouragement to the fans.

It really cocked up our travel arrangements as I had to be at the ground by 11am, in the end we had to drive to Wembley. I took my dad and my wife.

We got there at about 10.45 and found ourselves surrounded by a see of Mackems. Not a SINGLE Addick in sight.

Loads of funny comments and the like. We all met up at 11 in the old conference centre. Lots of local kids were practising their dance routines for the pre match "entertainment". I remember my opposite number from the Stadium of Light and how over confident he was.

We had their two mascots with us (No Floyd and Harvey at this stage - they weren't even a twinkle in Steve Dixon's eyes) Two cats, cannot remember their names. Then Helen Chamberlain waltzed in to the room. She told me that we had no chance and it would be a Sunderland Massacre. I confidently predicted that she would be eating her words.

Eventually we made it into the stadium to meet up with the Wembley announcer. I was a tad "irked" that he spent all his time chatting to the Mackem. Eventually I managed to get up to him and hand over the music - Red Red Robin etc. I'd spent most of the previous night in the studios at Millennium FM recording all the music on to DAT tapes. I was told that their machine was broken and would probably chew our tape! "You should have brought it on Mini Disc" I was told. Well sorry but poor old Millennium FM didn't have a mini disc recorder at this time. So it was fingers crossed.

I remember waiting by the benches, watching the school from Bexleyheath win the pre match game. Speaking to Mark Bright as he strolled around the pitch. I picked out Mark Mansfield and Paddy Powell up in the Media Boxes. Peter Reid walked past swearing like a trooper, no wonder he's called the blue monkey.

We had three slots each, Sunderland having the best slots surprise surprise. First time I was given the mike and out I wandered onto the hallowed turf. It really was like walking on a shagpile carpet, it's the only description I can find to describe the Wembley pitch. I know I muttered an amount of inane and inaudible words, to be truthful I was bricking myself. Luckily I could see some familiar faces behand the goal, Mark Garvey and Mick Gebbitt - both of them pointing at me and saying "what the Feck are you doing there??"

Second slot we played some music, yes the tape worked. I went back to discover my opposite number talking about what music would be played when they won - Oh play this, this is what we always play....... To me it was so obvious that no one gave us a chance.

So my last turn came and out I wandered again. Mike in hand I called on the Valley Faithful to make some noise, wave their flags and this was going to be our day. In unison 38000 mackems started to heckle me. Feckin Great. Yes we are here and no we're not here to make up the numbers.

It was 2.45 by this time and I was told that I could not go round the track to take my seat, opposite the benches. So I legged it round the outside, still thousands of them milling around and managed to get to my seat just as the teams walked out.

As for the match, well other people have put their own perspective. It's right about hugging people, I was sat next to Rick and Wendy. We ended up hugging at the end. Yes we did Rick!!! Leisa has the photo's.

Outside we bumped into Bob Bolder. Two idiots hugging and dancing around. What a day.
  • edited May 2007
    The most amazing day- Lived in Stanmore at the time and at 10am or so, decided that i'd take my eldest, well only at the time, for a cooked breafast in the sainsbury at kenton. Walked in there in my Charlton top (very rare that i wear colours), to see every seat taken by Makems who had used it as a car park to take the tube to Wembley, and didn't they looked really nervous as they so expected to win.

Decided that it wasn't the best place for a quiet father/daughter moment and went elsewhere.

My (then) wife and i got to Wembley about 1.15- went into the ground- what a lovely day, amazing match- Rufus's first goal, Mendonca, tears of joy et al- that's all been done.

The silence as we walked out of Wembley, the memory of the goodwill between us and the Sunderland fans, us consoling them and them congratulaing us still makes me go dewy eyed.

When we got home, baring in mind this isn't Charlton, three sets of neighbours ( who weren't even really that friendly) came out and congratulated us as we pulled in to our driveway. Later on,I decided to go for a walk to calm down, even then, had cars tooting me, still in my colours, and giving me the thumbs up.

Truely amazing day-and i can't believe it's 9 years ago- if only i had my dvd of the match- i'd be watching it now.
  • Am now a mess after reading through all of those posts. Unbelievable day, I was totally exhausted when I came out of the ground. There was about 12 of us and not a word was spoken until we got back to a pub near Leicester Square.

On the way up Wembley way we were engulfed by Sunderland fans, and it was a mighty relief to get in the stadium and be amongst our own although we sat in the very last row and the view was pretty appalling.

Also how all 7 players scored their pens is a modern day miracle, as someone said I would have bet my right leg Newts missing his. I wore my Charlton top in bed and under my work shirt the next day as I was so proud I couldn't bear to take it off.

9 years ago.... wow.
  • A mate of mine said that it was on pay TV here in Australia. At that time I didn't have pay so he invited me to his house. At the time for the match we got...The French Open Tennis....Jumped in the car and headed home, turned on the PC and waited for updates every 2 minutes or so. I don't think there was any commentary available on the internet at that time, or I couldn't find it. Went through the best part of a bottle of scotch sitting in front of the computer. Sometime around 3am I went to bed, probably happy, certainly drunk but the hangover didn't matter the next day.
  • fantastic stories guys, keep em coming...