Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th May 1998. Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 - YOUR ACCOUNTS

Comments

• Options
    13 years!!! So much happened to CAFC since then.
  • Options

will that day ever be bettered .....

maybe a league or fa cup victory for some would better that but not for me

that was the start of our upturn and world class players playing for and against charlton , not a run to the final against a load of stiffs

the cup appeal isn't what it used to be when we were kids unfortunately it's all about the prem

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Only being in a Play Off Final, in a match as dramatic as that was, to get back in to the Premiership against Palace or Millwall will have a chance of beating that.
  • Options
    Was at work.
  • Options

I rarely post on here but after spending most of my morning reading all this thread in small doses (having a break for emotional moments) I feel compelled to share my day.

What I do remember is Mendonca stamping the ball down on his way through to slot home. 

Watching the ball float over and for some reason just knowing 100% that Rufus would score.  I watched him from that point onwards as he rose up and nodded it in which to me seemed to take about a hour in slow motion.  I am pretty sure I didn't but I convinced myself I was already celebrating way before it went in!

Just shouting "PREMIER LEAGUE" as loud as I could when Sasa saved that penalty with just a complete sense of awe and fulfuilment.

Laughing at half time because one old(ish) fella walked backed to his seat in the row in front with a trail of loo roll stuck to his shoe.

Can remember walking past a bunch of Sunderland fans after leaving the pub at baker st (no idea which one it was).  One fella was absolutely slaughtered and starting singing and chanting towards me (all in friendly banter) but he being so pissed staggered and fell against a wall and had to be propped up by his mates and helped back towards the pub.  Walked away thinking he'll never make the game only to watch the highlights the day after and low and behold the cameras panned into the crowd and showed a close up of the exact same fella!  I can still see his face now and always wondered what he remembers from the game and how he felt.

Last memory was getting off the quietest train journey home to Bexley and going straight to Trax in the village to see who was about.  Opened my mouth to talk and absolutely nothing came out, not even a croak that was partially understandable.  Took about 2 days before I could speak again.  Had one drink and had to go home, the exhaustion of the day just can't be described to those that weren't there.

I am quite shameful to say that a lot of the moments of the day seem to have been consigned to a part of my brain that will only be discovered when/if it goes senile.  The memories of the day will then just come out to the latest generation in gibberish whilst sitting in a corner being largely ignored by all with a roll of the eyes and a small child asking who Mendonca was followed by a long silence.

• Options

Arriving at wembley tube station with my Charlton flag only to find 4 charlton supporters and masses of machems , the first charlton goal going in and my mate screaming out. his false teeth ending up two rows down in someones pocket  , the penaltys, turning my back because i couldnt bring myself to watch them , the silence ! walking to the tube station, i think at that time everyone had given their all . Getting back home to Kidbrooke and finding people on the roofs of the tower blocks with Charlton flags celebrating .

Must dig my photos out , took quite a few that day , also of the open top bus parade through woolwich .  

• Options
    edited May 2011
    On a dark day, if you ever question why you became a Charlton fan you can tell yourself it was for a day like that. I was so proud of the lads and our fans that day. I remeber getting a Kentucky with my brother at Baker Street before the match and it was full of Sunderland fans. I rememebr some starnge stilt like creatures parading around the pitch before the game. I remember they played the song of each club - Sunderland's was cheer up s j and I think we had the awful squeeze one (although my mind could be playing tricks) Sunderland definitely won the song contest.

To the game - I wasn't overly optimistic  I rated Sunderland with Quinn and Phillips but we started well and got a deserved lead through superclive. I started to believe. Then we let Sunderland get back in it but when you thought this was it, we were gone we got ourselves back in it. 3-2 down with not many minutes to go I was in resignation mode thinking of what might have been - We got a corner, Rufus rose and Perez in the Sunderland gaol had gone recklessly of his line. When that bloody Charlton hero scored his first goal for us I knew we  were going to win it. I can still feel the relief of that goal and see it going in the net in slow motion.

The game was ours! but extra time saw Sunderland take the lead again - but strangely I still thought we were going to win - I remember that feeling well. Then Browns crunching tackle and Mendonca's beauty 4-4. The game was ours - Sasa Illic would surely outdo Perez on the pens but for some reason he didn't seem to be the unbeatable Sasa he had been prior ti us getting to the final. My emotions went through the mill I remember. Sasa got a hand to one but it went in, a few fans behind me thought he had saved it - I knew he hadn't. We were no longer individuals we were one and the same wishing our team to glory. The other memory of the penalties was a tired Jonah walking up to take it with I'm going to miss written all over his body language - but he scored. When it got to Gray I really felt it was going to happen and when it did the pure joy - I can't rememebr ever feeling as much so quickly. Then celebrating with the players, they may not have been the best players to represent Charlton but they were special -sometimes you don't realise quite how much until years after - Robbo, Newts, Jonah, Brownie, Kinsella and not forgetting the legendary Rufus and Superclive. I had a flag which I waved as hard as I could with a tear of joy in my eyes. The fireworks, the only way is up being played -strangers hugging each other - the joy of Curbs and the players.

I had parked my car at my brothers girlfriend's flat near the city - We were both so drained that we didn't say anything and went a couple of stops past our destiantion on the tube. I remember at Old Street cars tooting us and people shouting well done. I remmber putting the flag through the car window and it being torn to shreds on the Motorway.

Man Utd fans wont ever feel the joy we felt that day. Something has to be rare to really make it special. I accept a perfect day like that may never happen again but nobody can take it away from any of us. And if there is ever a better game at Wembley, I want to see it.
  • Options

Was lucky to get four tickets in Olympic Row.Unlucky to be seated next to the only cocky Sunderland fan in our section.Wasn't cocky after the Rufus goal..........Thank you God for demonstrating how much pure joy a human body can intake.

• Options
    Seem to remember that neither goalkeeper made a decent save during the game (maybe they did?) and even Illic's penalty save was a bit low key. The finishing from both teams (including the penalty shoot-out) was superb but both keepers were slightly dodgy. Phillips going off was a key moment and just gave me the feeling that it was going to be Charlton's day (plus we were a very good team at the time and weren't at all easy to beat).
  • Options
    Iilic was immense leading up to thegame though - a major reason for our surge to Wembley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who wore 14 in the match Steve Brown or Steve Jones ?
  • Options
    Mendonca's masterpiece. Pretty much a perfect end to the perfect season for Super Clive and the rest of a super team. The best 'team' I have ever seen turn out for Charlton. Few stars, lots of dedicated and tough, griity fighters with a lot of effort and no little skill. I do not think we will ever see such a perfect group of players and management (yes, including Les Reed) again. 
  • Options

Was a norwegian student in Darlington. Spammed the Charlton mailing lists trying to get a ticket. My school was closed at the weekend so I returned monday to fint out I could have been at Wembley.

Still, saw the game at a pub in Darlo. Dressed up a couple av friends in Charlton shirts and scarves, and we stood out in a pub full of Sunderland shirts. After the game, we were all crying and hugging each other. It was just a great day for football. The best!

• Options
    Several people have mentioned feeling drained after the game.  Our coach home passed one full of Sunderland fans who urged us to smile!
  • Options
    Several people have mentioned feeling drained after the game.  Our coach home passed one full of Sunderland fans who urged us to smile!

That was how I felt, I wandered into central London and sad though it sounds I had no appetite for drinking or celebrating. I caught the train home.
  • Options
    I remember every goal, every cheer, gasp and tear. The most emotional rollercoaster of a game I have ever experienced or ever likely to. Classic! 
  • Options

I had to hold the tears back just watching the Charlton coaches rolling into the Wembley car park.

Didn't have Sky then and, back home, the family 'watched' the penalty shoot-out on Teletext!

After over 60 years supporting Charlton, this was to be my Dad's last ever match. What a way to bow out!

• Options
    brilliant match, brilliant day. Only regret i have is neither i or any of my mates or family knew anything about the parade the next day. Don't know how we didn't know - how was it communicated?
  • Options
    Anybody got a working link to the Mark Mansfield commentary... "ilic has saved it, and we're in the premier leaguuuueee!!!"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those were the days...

Younger, thinner, everything seemed possible!  Ho Hum!
  • Options

best day out of football ever.

my brother wanted to walk out when they went 4-3 up he was so distraught made him sit down. he drove me mad during the penalty shoot out didn't watch one of our penalties.

hving great banter with the mackems in the pub after.

ended up so pissed wife found me asleep in the porch at 6am next morning couldn't go a work had to call in sick

don't care what anyone says that is the best hattrick ever

• Options
    I remember us being one up until my sister accidently kicked over my upright program and i punched her in the arm when we went two one down as it was her fault lol.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In the build up to the final, not being Season Ticket holders or anything as we were a family with young children and therefore went to only a few games, I remember my Dad telling me he was struggling to get 3 tickets to the game for me, him and my brother. Then one day he returned from work, and came into the lounge and reveled in his hand one play off final ticket. He held it for a few seconds before folding out the two other tickets which were lined up behind the front ticket. We were going!!!

I was 9 years old at the time and had spent the Bank Holiday weekend at Cub Camp in Farnham in Surrey. I remember waiting nervously sitting outside my tent on the Monday morning, watching the other kids larking around in the field but not wanting to join in. I was wearing my Euro 96 tracksuit trousers with my Green and Purple 3rd strip shirt on. My Mum and Dad came to pick me  and my elder brother up early on the Monday morning from the camp site, and I remember being slightly disappointed that I was missing the last afternoon of the camp. My Mum dropped the 3 of us at Farnham Station before driving to my grandparents in The New Forest where we would join her that evening. 

The only other part of the journey I can remember is the tube ride, I can still picture a man in a leather jacket chatting with another Charlton fan about how Clive Mendonca was going to win us the game. As we didn't go as often then, I don't think I was sure who he was then, but his surname sounded like mine.

When we left Wembley Park Station and were at the top of the stairs, I looked out onto a sea and of and white stripes on Wembley Way. I work for a company that has a building at Wembley Park and can remember that every time I go through that concourse. There wasn't another Charlton fan to be seen. A Mackem came up to us and wished us good luck and went out to shake my hand but I was shy and hid behind my Dad. He told him that "He'll shake your hand after the game!".

We had a burger from a van outside the ground and I don't think I could finish most of it as I was completely caught up in the tension in the air. 

I can't remember much of the action from the game. I know that I was in the toilets with my brother just after half time when a loud roar went up. Someone had scored, and we asked a Policeman in the concourse who scored but he wasn't sure! We found out it was Quinn equalising when we got back to our seats. 

At some point during the second half it became too much for me and I was in floods of tears. There was a group of blokes sat near us who we chatting to during the game were looking back on it, very drunk, but were in good spirits and tried to cheer me up but the emotions were too much. I remember one of them landing on me after on the equalisers and it set me off again and I wanted to go home. My Dad took me into the concourse and I recall him telling me that "I know its hard and you want to go home but this is Charlton's big day and we cannot leave" or words to that effect. I can remember one of Sunderland's goals, which was just after we has scored, and people saying "It's that bloody Quinn again"

I can remember, as others have mentioned, people, including my dad saying as Michael Gray stepped up that he was going to miss. After the save, I was jumping around, hoarsely screaming "We've done it, we've done it!". We couldn't see the presentation of the trophy well from where we were sat (Near the back, in the corner). 

I can't recall much of the celebrations but can remember on the journey back, we were getting a train to the South Coast rather than South London so at one of the tube stations we were walking the opposite directions to a load of Charlton fans singing "We are Premier League!!"

There were two Charlton fans on our train to Brockenhurst who we gave a smile to but I think we were all to drained to drum up much of a conversation. I think they got off at Woking. Being nine, when we got into Basingstoke, I thought that was where we were going and went to get off. Then was told we still had another hour or so on the train!

Myself and my three brothers then would have spent the week at our Grandparents (Grandad is a Palace fan but I'm sure he congratulated us.) I can still see the front page of a newspaper that was in the Tesco in Lymington the next day that had a little sub heading in red that said "Charlton are up!! See back page" and turning it over to see that photo of Sasa star-jumping in front of the celebrating players behind the advertising hoarding. Then, that day at a sort of woodland adventure park still in the New Forest, seeing a family walking past wearing those white T shirts that thad the massive Charlton badge with the words Play Off Final 1998 on them. It felt like that day, the whole country was taking notice of Charlton for the first time in my life. 

To still hear that game referred to all these years later (mentioned on the 5live commentary of Swansea vs Reading and on the FLS highlights, on the Wembley Greatest Events Vote etc) still makes me proud. My friends still call me Louis Mendonca when I score at 5-a-side. Best football moment I will ever experience, but I do wish i was a few years older at the time to appreciate it more. 

I got back from Cub Camp yesterday (I help out every year now) and I always listen to the play off final in the car on the way home, and it often brings back all those wonderful memories. 
  • Options
    I travelled to the game with my younger brother (R.I.P) from gravesend. Rather than doing the train/tube thing, I drove round the north circular To the top of the (jubilee?) line, to go a couple of stops to wembley. We Found a school that was allowing you to park in their playground for the price of a Sunderland mortgage, to find it jammed packed with coaches............all full of mackems. We then took the short tube ride to Wembley, and it seemed to go on for an eternity. Every carriage was full to the rafters with stripes with my brother and I stuck in the middle, with banter being hurled at us from every direction.

I won't go into the match itself as it's all been said here by others much better than i could ever do. All I will say is I KNEW Gray was going to miss. Don't know why but i would have put my mortgage on it there and then. But on the flip side, i was also sure that Newton would miss too.

Upon leaving the stadium, it now dawned on us that we had to endure the tube full of Very unhappy mackems to get back to the car............................unless.............."TAXI".................Managed to get back to the car park before the majority of them to rescue my Charlton flag/sticker covered car from being set upon.
  • Options

That day was the only occasion i have ever painted my face. Doubt i'll ever do it again, but it was a worthy event. My friend Keith, who has now deserted us and moved to the USA, decided driving up to Wembley was a great idea. Stupid man. Drive we did though, with Charlton flag flying proud from the sunroof. By the time we got home, the flag looked like a dog had been attached to one end of it.

I remember standing on a grass bank with a Sunderland fan before the kick off, arm in arm trying to out-sing each other. I still have photos of this. He was singing Super Kev, me Super Clive. I think this early version of X Factor ended in a stalemate. It was however all so good natured, the Mackem giving me one of his beers was a nice gesture, he must have felt i won.

I had been lucky enough to attend both semi finals against Ipswich, and for sheer delight, i didn't think the feeling i had leaving The Valley after the second leg could be topped, how wrong could i have been. The build up to the final was such a good time though. Buying the Squeeze cd, queing for Wembley tickets, then watching the vets play a youth side from the East stand that same day. Good, happy times.

Seeing Mick Gebbett in the loos and the two of us moaning about how a handful of Sunderland fans had managed to get tickets in our end is an odd thing to stick in the mind, but it does. Sorry Mick for the jokes about meeting you in the loos that are bound to follow.Obviously, the game was a rollercoaster of emotions, but with each Charlton goal i seemed to find someone new to hug. Sang my heart out to the point of losing my voice in the process as well. When we left the stadium, everything seemed so quiet. I think we were all so drained that no-one had anything left in them to break the silence. The Sunderland supporters on coaches clapping us as they drove past were just awesome and duly applauded back. I felt like we had really made friends that day, a footballing bond between two sides that would last for years to come.

There is still a group photo of the side celebrating with the trophy framed on my bedside cabinet. Much to the amusement of my wife!

• Options
    edited June 2011
    My lasting memory of that day was after the match when we went to a pub that was about the size of a postage stamp
     ... It was like they had just opened someone's front room to the public ?!?!?

Think they still managed to cram about a 15 - 20 people in there !!!!

A lot of people have mentioned the Sunderland Fans but they were immense and so sporting afterwards
    ... A credit to their club