Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Are We Being Suckered In?

Comments

• Options

SE7toSG3 said:

This is an awful dilemma and one where I don't feel justified in telling people what to do.

I stayed away last season and hated not going. I don't believe they have changed and am not in any way confident for the season ahead.

That said, my fingering is hovering above the 'buy' button for a ST as my lad is 12 and I do not want to lose another year of father/son football due to my intense dislike and mistrust of the the owners and current SMT.

I am more than likely going to go in spite of them and not because of them, I will continue to protest hard when its needed and party hard when they are gone.

Main reason why I go & why this season will be buying a season ticket. Being divorced & not living with my kids is hard enough but not having our "bonding sessions" on a sat afternoon would kill me. Yes, we could go elsewhere (welling or even W/ham) or do something completely different, but we both love football & as I posted earlier, I don't see why the regime should deprive me of my sat afternoon enjoyment & somewhere I have been going for over 40 years.
    Truth be told Golfie there are a lot of Dads that live with their kids but still 'need' football to have something that they can bond over.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Good post Stig.

Problem is, we love our Club. Whatever shit they want to dump on us, it's a new season coming on us. We're optimistic. It's what being a football fan is all about.

We're going up. At least we believe we can until the first ten games tell us otherwise.

I detest this regime. I've protested, both at Charlton and in Belgium (more than once). But no matter what shit they throw at me, Charlton are a massive part of my life. It's like a drug. I'm hooked. I tried cold turkey last season. No season ticket and only attending home games when I got a free ticket. But I went to eleven away games which the Club still got some of my money.

I need this drug as much as I've always needed it. It's not the quality of football - that's easy to ignore. It's the fact that I'm Charlton. Always have been. And that means a match day with my mates who are also Charlton. Whether I meet them every other week or know them by a nod of acknowledgement in a pub in Rochdale.

I'm so looking forward to the Pirates game. A team my Dad supported. A new season. A fresh start. Fresh hope.

And I will be buying tickets for the game for myself, my son and my stepson.

I'll continue to protest, as and when it's needed, whether here or in Belgium. I'm lucky, I can afford to, both in time and money.

But I need to be there on 5th August. Because I'm a Charlton fan. And we're going to get promoted this season.

Aren't we?

What fat boy said

UTA
  • Options
    I thoroughly dislike the current owners and their acolytes but I love Charlton Athletic. I still view the new season with excitement and the anticipation of success - no one and nothing can take that away from me, not RD or KM nor anyone else.

It is too early to criticise KR for his recruitment as it is still not complete and even under previous owners there have been highs and lows in purchases and sales of players and this summer is no different.

None of us know of RD's intentions for our club but if he does wish to be rid of us he will find it easier in the Championship than L1 so it is in his interest for the team to succeed this season and to learn from the mistakes over previous seasons.

So am I being suckered in - yes I am because I want Charlton to succeed and if the team get promoted there is a chance that RD might sell. I don't care that RD doesn't visit the Valley but I do care if the team win, draw or loose. I shall visit the Valley this season and I shall cheer the team, if there is a non violent protest I shall join it as I want my Charlton back.

But any Charlton is better than no Charlton.
  • Options

It is probably me that should grow up. But I cannot forgive KM who has insulted me and lied to me. She must go.

It's pretty certain she's not going. So she wins and you lose. Sorry.
  • Options
    I've always been of the mindset to criticise the things they do wrong, otherwise it just becomes a monotonous drone of moaning constantly. Initially this summer things did look up but now it seems we're back to the usual routine of empty promises. I was looking forward to seeing the new kit as I've always like Hummel but I know as long as he is still owner I won't be buying any of their products. I also won't go to home games and I still believe that all the protests mean absolutely nothing if people are still handing over their money to him.

All I've ever wanted was for them to do the right things on and off the pitch. They've shown time and time again they cannot or will not do that. I still love the club but at the same time I'm not sure I can fully support it being successful while he is still the owner. Success on the pitch means any form of protest will lose support from those outside the club.
  • Options
    Success on the pitch has always been their simple solution, but they do failure and calling us idiots instead. Can't see anything changing anytime soon.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

I have my Saturday's mapped out from August and it doesn't involve Charlton or Valley Pass. As soon as they're gone, I'll be back

This #notapennymore
  • Options

I agree, Stig. I'm staggered and frustrated at the numbers prepared to give their money, repeatedly, to this regime. My opinion is that we stand a better chance of ridding the club of this owner were people to decline to attend home matches, en masse.
    What's more important? Going to The Valley because you've 'Done that for years', or saying 'This is not the club that I knew. I'm withdrawing my support until such time as we realise a wholesale change'? Were enough people prepared to act and hold firm, the hiatus might not be long.
    As the old saying goes, 'If not you, who? If not now, when?

Agree 100%

However, I thought relegation would see a sale, I then thought not getting promoted last season would see a sale.

Both times I have been proved wrong, I am now of the opinion that the vermin could be around for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SE7toSG3 said:

This is an awful dilemma and one where I don't feel justified in telling people what to do.

I stayed away last season and hated not going. I don't believe they have changed and am not in any way confident for the season ahead.

That said, my fingering is hovering above the 'buy' button for a ST as my lad is 12 and I do not want to lose another year of father/son football due to my intense dislike and mistrust of the the owners and current SMT.

I am more than likely going to go in spite of them and not because of them, I will continue to protest hard when its needed and party hard when they are gone.

Main reason why I go & why this season will be buying a season ticket. Being divorced & not living with my kids is hard enough but not having our "bonding sessions" on a sat afternoon would kill me. Yes, we could go elsewhere (welling or even W/ham) or do something completely different, but we both love football & as I posted earlier, I don't see why the regime should deprive me of my sat afternoon enjoyment & somewhere I have been going for over 40 years.
    won't be the same without George Michael though.
    Should have got lol's for that one Mr Otto.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I am not putting money into the coffers of pricks who have f***** the fans over and destroyed the club, I will continue to non-league groundhop until the cancer is removed.

It has come down to a principle with me.

I like the idea of non league ground hopping. I did wonder if there was a coordinated effort to get lots of us to attend a different ground each week if we could use that as a way of protesting. If we all turned up en-masse to the same ground we'd get our football fix (though not our Charlton fix), meet our friends, have a chance to protest - and if we did it respectfully get some new allies in the football world, all without giving any money to Two Shats.

It might be a good way of protesting, and even if it turns out to be unsuccessful, at least we'd learn where all the non league grounds are in preparation for when this lot drag Charlton down to that level.
    Great idea Stig.
  • Options
    In answer to the original question: Are we being suckered in?

I can only speak for myself, and I am definitely not being suckered in.

And I never will be.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

I despise RD & KM and always will, but my love for Charlton far outweighs this.

My friends and I met at Liverpool away in @1988.

We have remained firm friends ever since, going through marriages, divorces, kids, jobs, illnesses, basically life.

We also go to the racing, darts, cricket, the Olympics, dogs, gigs etc etc.

There is not a cat in hell's chance that our temporary custodians, will deprive me of those friendships and being at the place I love with all my heart, The Valley.

I feel sorry for the supporters who no longer go, but seem so permanently angry and depressed.

We all have a choice and I choose happiness.
    There's enough misery in the world without choosing more.

The club has undoubtedly moved forwards competence wise in the last year, but whether they will have built a strong enough squad remains to be seen.

I could be ill or worse before RD sells and so I'll keep supporting my team, until death do us part.

I will also continue to protest if I feel it appropriate, but I think The Valley protests have possibly run their course.

Newcastle fans dislike Mike Ashley, but they still get 50,000 every home game.

Pompey fans hated their crooked owners, but they still supported their team in virtual sell out crowds.

What happened to support the team ?

If only life was that simple, that "black and white". My own personal view is that today's society is money driven (quality of life is often linked to financial stability). I therefore believe, but accept there are alternative views, that depriving RD of revenue is more likely to bring about change that the alternative of putting money into his coffers. In line with my thinking, I did not renew my season ticket last season (nor will I do so this season).

So please don't feel sorry for me; I am not permanently angry and/or depressed. I also choose happiness, but in alternative social ways to that of watching Charlton. I shall be back as soon as he goes, whenever that may be.
    Peter, I said I feel sorry for the supporters who no longer go, but seem so permanently angry and depressed.

You're happy doing other things, so why would I feel sorry for someone happy ? All the best to you.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

We have remained firm friends ever since, going through marriages, divorces, kids, jobs, illnesses, basically life.

There is not a cat in hell's chance that our temporary custodians, will deprive me of those friendships and being at the place I love with all my heart, The Valley.

I feel sorry for the supporters who no longer go, but seem so permanently angry and depressed.

The club has undoubtedly moved forwards competence wise in the last year, but whether they will have built a strong enough squad remains to be seen.

I could be ill or worse before RD sells and so I'll keep supporting my team, until death do us part.

I will also continue to protest if I feel it appropriate, but I think The Valley protests have possibly run their course.

Pompey fans hated their crooked owners, but they still supported their team in virtual sell out crowds.

If only life was that simple, that "black and white". My own personal view is that today's society is money driven (quality of life is often linked to financial stability). I therefore believe, but accept there are alternative views, that depriving RD of revenue is more likely to bring about change that the alternative of putting money into his coffers. In line with my thinking, I did not renew my season ticket last season (nor will I do so this season).

So please don't feel sorry for me; I am not permanently angry and/or depressed. I also choose happiness, but in alternative social ways to that of watching Charlton. I shall be back as soon as he goes, whenever that may be.
    Peter, I said I feel sorry for the supporters who no longer go, but seem so permanently angry and depressed.

You're happy doing other things, so why would I feel sorry for someone happy ? All the best to you.
    ...... and that is exactly what is so wrong with this regime.
    Far too many long standing and previously very loyal supporters are finding their happiness away from the Valley.

A fair chunk of our support has lost the loyalty to the team as we have been continuously dealt a squad with no smbition and heart. The season ahead looks no different IMHO.
  • Options
    I would have been celebrating my 50th year as a Charlton supporter this coming season but sadly it will have to put on hold until these owners have left the building.

#notapennymore
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PeterGage said:

Most people are quite happy when they stop hitting their head against the regime brick wall and face up to the fact that until the regime goes the pain would continue. I will not buy a season ticket until they have gone. I will go to the occasional away game because CAFC are and always have been my team. I will not support another team. However a 120 mile round trip to see a shadow of the former team and join with a shadow of the former support is something that is a pain akin to hitting my head against a brick wall.
    Like Fanny said in an earlier post, this pre season I haven't looked at fixtures; haven't got exited about signings; haven't even got angry with the Regime when they siphon off players to the network. Unlike her, my mind has told me to shut off the pain and not go to the Valley if the regime is the source of the problem. Grief hits you that way.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

It is probably me that should grow up. But I cannot forgive KM who has insulted me and lied to me. She must go.

So she wins, I accepted I was beaten when I attended SE9 for a chat. My love for the club was simmering on a very low heat and was rekindled when I saw the passion in the fans in Belgium but peters out again every time the same old lines are churned out. If she wants to chalk it up as a win that's fine by me, does it make me less of a fan? I believe it does, but I can do nothing about it. I could accept they've made mistakes statement, but I've never seen any proof they mean it.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    T.C.E said:

So she wins, I accepted I was beaten when I attended SE9 for a chat. My love for the club was simmering on a very low heat and was rekindled when I saw the passion in the fans in Belgium but peters out again every time the same old lines are churned out. If she wants to chalk it up as a win that's fine by me, does it make me less of a fan? I believe it does, but I can do nothing about it. I could accept they've made mistakes statement, but I've never seen any proof they mean it.
    My point about her winning is that she is still here and lifelong fans like yourself and rememberbillybonds have stopped attending, because RD & KM are still here. So you've sort of chosen to move away, which I fully understand and is very sad. Whilst I've chosen to stand my ground and not be driven away.

I will still attend every week as does Airman Brown and many other leading protesters. I have protested long and hard and more than many, but I'll still carry on attending The Valley, because that is what I love doing and only ill health would prevent that. I've even discharged myself from hospital to attend.

To be honest, it isn't just about the owner, because if RD was owner and we were top half in The Championship, many of the fans would return, so it's a combination of the owner and their abysmal performance and the dreadful football that has been offered up in the last few years.

Anyway, I criticise no one in this regard and never would, my 2 sons stopped attending last season, but I'm hopeful one or both will return when and if our form picks up.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I hope so too. All the best.
  • Options

T.C.E said:

My point about her winning is that she is still here and lifelong fans like yourself and rememberbillybonds have stopped attending, because RD & KM are still here. So you've sort of chosen to move away, which I fully understand and is very sad. Whilst I've chosen to stand my ground and not be driven away.

I will still attend every week as does Airman Brown and many other leading protesters. I have protested long and hard and more than many, but I'll still carry on attending The Valley, because that is what I love doing and only ill health would prevent that. I've even discharged myself from hospital to attend.

To be honest, it isn't just about the owner, because if RD was owner and we were top half in The Championship, many of the fans would return, so it's a combination of the owner and their abysmal performance and the dreadful football that has been offered up in the last few years.

Anyway, I criticise no one in this regard and never would, my 2 sons stopped attending last season, but I'm hopeful one or both will return when and if our form picks up.
    I can't and I won't try to speak for other people, but in my opinion if they did boycott totally I believe this owner would sell up. But by the same token, I totally defend supporters rights to continue to attend if that's what they choose to do.
    As far as the on field performance is concerned and trust me I still want those in Red shirts to win every game they play in, but I wouldn't return if we signed Ronaldo and we played Real Madrid in the champions league.
    My problem with this ownship is they came in and "did it their their way" and when that failed and they "wanted to put it right" but, they didn't go back to the people that could actually help them do and say "hey, sorry guys we got that so wrong" no, that they went to outside agencies or people that would nod in agreement when they said we are going to try this or that. They didn't bring in an English manager because you or I wanted it, they did so because their system was failing and the turnstiles were slowing down, they didn't bring in British players because you or I wanted it they brought them because their players weren't good enough (with one or two exceptions) and we were losing football matches. You can't say to fans :i.e. The VIP scheme, "We don't need your money" because he's a very wealthy man and then blame lack of expenditure on poor attendances. If was the owner for one day, I would invite those that know and love Charlton Athletic Football Club to the Valley irrespective of if I liked you or even fired you, but those that would say what was good for Cafc and not my sensitive disposition and say...... "work with me, I genuinely want this to work"
    But what do I know, I'm just a customer. ;)
  • Options
    The VIP scheme is a red herring, IMO. It is simply borrowing by the club against future income, so it's hardly surprising that RD wouldn't choose to borrow from supporters when he has the cash himself. It's not extra money. The value to the club was when it didn't have access to borrowing.
  • Options

The VIP scheme is a red herring, IMO. It is simply borrowing by the club against future income, so it's hardly surprising that RD wouldn't choose to borrow from supporters when he has the cash himself. It's not extra money. The value to the club was when it didn't have access to borrowing.

I can see that now, but was nieve enough to give him the benefit of any doubt at the start. ;)
  • Options

I don't see that him sticking to his principal makes him lose.
  • Options

I don't see that him sticking to his principal makes him lose.
    We've all lost, but perhaps we can become winners ?