Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France 2017

Comments

• Options
    That was an awesome stage today. Those descents are frigging terrifying yet they are still going hell for leather even after seeing their rivals wiped out. Brave, brave guys.
  • Options
    didnt watch it but assuming Froome still on yellow.?
  • Options

didnt watch it but assuming Froome still on yellow.?

Yep. With Porte crashing out today it's his to lose but still a long way to go.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to see how well Sky copes, having lost Thomas.

In the last few years the Sky domestiques have tended to fade out for a day or two (including Thomas), but each were able to be strong at important moments. It will be interesting to see how they cope in the mountain stages, because I'd feel their balance has been undermined.

Though, that said, a lot of teams look less strong than before.
  • Options
    Porte has broken collarbone and pelvis, could have been so much worse.
  • Options
    Just watching today's stage now. Much respect to Quintana, Porte and others for neutralising Aru's attack just as I was getting annoyed by it. You can't attack the yellow Jersey when they have a mechanical
  • Options
    Finally caught up. Wow. Uran's ride has to go down as one of the all time greats
  • Options
    rina said:

Just watching today's stage now. Much respect to Quintana, Porte and others for neutralising Aru's attack just as I was getting annoyed by it. You can't attack the yellow Jersey when they have a mechanical

Didn't see Froome easing up when Uran was having problems with changing gears. or doesn't that count when our riders take advantage?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

rina said:

Didn't see Froome easing up when Uran was having problems with changing gears. or doesn't that count when our riders take advantage?
    Nah you just dont attack the leader in that situation.

Its like Football, if the Goalkeeper is down receiving treatment the game stops until he's ready to continue, unlike any othet position on the pitch where the player goes off and continues to receive treatment whilst the game restarts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But its ok for the leader to attack when his rivals have a mechanical problem?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Actually they did slow down when he was having his problem. the gap to bardet went back up to about 32 secs from just over 20 showing they did not attack.

• Options
    iaitch said:

Yes else the Tour would never get anywhere

The question about Aru though is that he was directly behind Froome and the moment he saw his hand go up he timed his attack from the moment it happened.

Uran on the other hand was behind Froome so the latter wouldnt have known about the issue and secondly I dont actually remember Froome attacking at that moment because Uran very quickly rejoined the back of that group
  • Options
    rina said:

Finally caught up. Wow. Uran's ride has to go down as one of the all time greats

I'll second that, brave decision which turned out well.

I once had to ride home from work stuck in a small gear like that and it's f****g hard work.

• Options
    One thing that confused me yesterday surrounding Uran's was the colour of his Jersey.

Prior to the Tour, the organisers werent happy with Team SKY for wearing a white jersey because it was too similar to the actual White Jersey competition and so made it difficult to distinguish between a SKY rider and the leader of said competition.

Surely it should be the same case with Cannondale? - Countless times this Tour I've been confused thinking that the Green Jersey is in one position when in fact its just a Cannondale rider and I've been concentrating on the wrong bloke.
  • Options
    not sure if it's been mentioned on here yet but Stages, Lance Armstrong's podcast which is recorded after each stage is a good listen. regardless of what you think of him he knows the race inside out and gives some really good insight
  • Options
    Just been mentioned on todays coverage yet Happy Birthday to Charlton fan (?) and Le Tour commentator: Ned Boulting.

Isnt quite Phil Liggett but he's improving
  • Options
    Compare Froome/Sky's reaction to Aru to Tom D's during the Giro after he stopped for a dump.

It's a race, things happen in a race and other racers shouldn't be demonised for taking advantage of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The finish today looks like there is bound to be a crash. Two sharp bends so close to the end.

Hopefully nothing too dangerous.
  • Options

Don't really have a problem with the fact that the race should continue when the yellow jersey has a mechanical. What I think most people take issue with is the way Aru sprinted off the second Froome's hand went up. That's a prick move - and it wasn't just Porte who called him on it, Quintana did as well

Agree, my thoughts too.
  • Options
    Looking at the teams today, it's shocking that FDJ managed to lose 3 members of the team trying to pace Demare to the finish line in time to miss the cut.

I somehow wonder whether he will retain the no1 jersey for the team.

While FDJ did win a stage, now having only 5 riders left, with none of them within the top 40, they have to do something special to recover from what can only be considered a disastrous Tour.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Don't really have a problem with the fact that the race should continue when the yellow jersey has a mechanical. What I think most people take issue with is the way Aru sprinted off the second Froome's hand went up. That's a prick move - and it wasn't just Porte who called him on it, Quintana did as well

Agree, my thoughts too.
    David Millar called this on ITV, Aru should have got the other Astana riders to up the pace, but not massively attack and make it bleedingly obvious that you're chancing it like that.
  • Options

Looking at the teams today, it's shocking that FDJ managed to lose 3 members of the team trying to pace Demare to the finish line in time to miss the cut.

While FDJ did win a stage, now having only 5 riders left, with none of them within the top 40, they have to do something special to recover from what can only be considered a disastrous Tour.

Thing with FDJ is they didn't really have any choice other than to put all their eggs in the Demare basket. He's the French national champ, was in decent form, had already won a stage and was a legitimate (probably the only) challenger to Kittel for the green jersey after Sagan's DQ. Pinot is an absolute busted flush of a rider with only the odd stage victory to chase (he doesn't need a support team for that) and the rest of their team are also rans and domestiques.
  • Options

Thing with FDJ is they didn't really have any choice other than to put all their eggs in the Demare basket. He's the French national champ, was in decent form, had already won a stage and was a legitimate (probably the only) challenger to Kittel for the green jersey after Sagan's DQ. Pinot is an absolute busted flush of a rider with only the odd stage victory to chase (he doesn't need a support team for that) and the rest of their team are also rans and domestiques.
    Looks like the Tour was too much for Pinot after the Giro.
  • Options
    What a sprint by Kittel!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    stonemuse said:

What a sprint by Kittel!

Think we'll see this for a lot of the Sprints into Paris now

Good ride from Dan McLay to get 7th