Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the Tories need to change?

Comments

• Saga Lout said:

I have to say the current crop of politicians in Parliament is the worst I've ever seen. It's a shambles and in the midst of this the Brexit process is stalling leaving the country in limbo.

The crop of candidates to replace Theresa should she go includes some corkers - BoJo, Moggy or Leadsom all seem useless and deluded enough to be in with a shout.

It does seem like the Tory party is intent on imploding.

Jackob Rees Mogg - why would anyone vote for him as their MP? I can't see a Tory party led by him winning a General Election - surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to choose him as their leader? He's about as far away from being a "Man of the people" as it is possible to get. You should check out his religious views, which he makes no secret of: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tory-leadership-hopeful-jacob-reesmogg-im-against-gay-marriage-and-abortion-in-any-circumstances-a3627911.html
    never underestimate the gullibility and stupidity of the British electorate
    2 examples:
    EU referendum
    2017 General Election
    just enough of your fellow Brits either subscribe to this tory repugnance or are stupid enough to fall for the brexit campaign and then miss the biggest open goal in political history
    Sorry SL clear-sighted morally balanced adults like you are in a minority.
    Figuratively keep your chin up, while physically keep your head down cos it's gonna get worse before it can get better.
  • cabbles said:

seth plum said:

Leaving aside everything about the man for the moment. The only thing Boris should be doing right now, 24/7, is to get Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe back to the UK. Nothing else.

That would be actual work Seth. The man doesn’t work. Just walks round trying to blag his way through life off the back of the image he’s created for himself

I dread to think what working in his department is like

Also, the other thing I find amazing is the amount of people in the Tory party saying ‘oh priti is so talented, it won’t be long before she’s back’

Good ethics and morals all round then. I don’t want the smug moo anywhere back near a central role in government ever again. She’s shown her true colours. It’s a bit like Allardyce. She’s a cheat, that puts her own interests above that of the station she’s responsible for.

Why the hell should she be given another crack in the future. Piss off and get back to representing your Witham constituents. If they keep you at the next election that’s up to them. Don’t want her anywhere near a National role. She should be subject to a ban like you would if you fall foul of the Charlton Life Moderators FCA or something as a director
    Corrected for you. :-)
  • I am just going to come right out and say it: I think Priti Patel is an absolute sort of the highest order.

The fact that she also seems to be a narcissistic, preening, nasty cow actually makes me find her even more attractive.

The good news for me is that she may now have more time for the sort of activities I have in mind for our relationship.

She looks at least 25% botox, with a rictus smile to match
  • I am just going to come right out and say it: I think Priti Patel is an absolute sort of the highest order.

The fact that she also seems to be a narcissistic, preening, nasty cow actually makes me find her even more attractive.

The good news for me is that she may now have more time for the sort of activities I have in mind for our relationship.

She looks at least 25% botox, with a rictus smile to match
    Talks 100% bollocks...
  • edited November 2017

I am absolutely astounded by the level of support Patel is getting from the Tory benches. This woman has tried to pull the wool over the eyes of the nation, the Prime Minister and her cabinet colleagues, the house and everyone not included above. We still have no idea to what ends. These Members of Parliament really are crawling in the gutter of self preservation and are beyond contempt.

She’s too much of a liar and cowboy to be part of the cabinet but don’t worry she’s still a good constituency MP so everything is alright. Give it a few years and she’ll come creeping back onto the front benches. They always need a few liars on there.

She has proved beyond doubt she’s not fit to sit and vote on the direction this country takes. She should be forced to resign her seat.

The prick Farage says she’s a good woman and strong brexiteer. That tells you all you need to know about that twunt.

I’m fuming.

Why be fuming? Chill!
    A lead Brexiteer has resigned and BoJo is surely on borrowed time. If Farage and Rees-Mogg supported Patel then what's the downside?! An Essex Tory has gone - perhaps she can spend some time reading up on the Palestinian perspective of the Middle East?

We appear to be in a pendulum situation where May swung to the hard right UKIP position last January.

She ran an election for a large majority on that ticket and failed. And this now leads to the impossible task of uniting the hard Brexit elements with those like Hammond and Soubry who wish to stay in the single market etc.

And the Patel replacement is a remain supporter - one more vote in the Cabinet for a single market / CU solution.

There are only three outcomes:
    A) Rees Mogg and co will deliver a coup - how many of them are there? And they would lose the next election.
    B ) May will deliver Brexit with a sensible (interim) deal or
    C) the government will collapse under the strain.

Let us see how this plays out in the December negotiations with the EU27. And the polls etc.

Perhaps the centre is now winning? Don't get me wrong as many prefer option C and an election before March 2019...

And let's not get into the Tory DUP deal which appears to mean Stormont is still closed and will remain that way.

Seems quite fond of a pearl necklace too.

• And the next one up is Penny 'The Splash' Mordaunt.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/penny-mordaunt-andrew-marr-uk-veto-tory-minister-accused-of-flat-out-lying-over-turkey-joining-the-a7041956.html

Article from last year accusing her of flat out lying, the barrel is being scraped now.
  • Rothko said:
    Politician who lied replaced by politician who lied - continues the story, cross-party, of the last 20 years!
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

stonemuse said:

Rothko said:
    Politician who lied replaced by politician who lied - continues the story, cross-party, of the last 20 years!
    Equate, dismiss. Tory playbook. Give it up
    wtf are you talking about?

I don't even vote Tory.
  • The latest polls are interesting;

Depending which one you take most heed of, Labour are as much as 4 points ahead to conservatives 2 points ahead. If you take an average of the 11 September polls it’s 40 v 41.5 to Labour. TBF though labour are ahead in all but 4 (2 are equal).

Of course that’s before all the latest revelations on both sides......

I still think there’s a relatively large section of the UK who will vote Tory almost regardless, certainly wouldn’t switch to Corbyn anyway.
  • Ultimately the choice is to vote for who you think is the least bad. The current Government has failed on just about everything and ultimately we'll end up with a 'no deal' Brexit not out of choice but instead because nobody has a clue what they're doing and they're too busy lying, being useless and stabbing each other in the back.

I'm not sure if the alternative will be any better given the mess we are in. We'll probably end up with Dianne Abbott heading up Brexit negotiations again and her 'mystery illness reappearing when her mind keeps going blank.

It all depends what type of uselessness you want? Maybe there are some decent politicians lurking somewhere?

Maybe the buffoons in UKIP will have a go?
  • Ultimately the choice is to vote for who you think is the least bad. The current Government has failed on just about everything and ultimately we'll end up with a 'no deal' Brexit not out of choice but instead because nobody has a clue what they're doing and they're too busy lying, being useless and stabbing each other in the back.

I'm not sure if the alternative will be any better given the mess we are in. We'll probably end up with Dianne Abbott heading up Brexit negotiations again and her 'mystery illness reappearing when her mind keeps going blank.

It all depends what type of uselessness you want? Maybe there are some decent politicians lurking somewhere?

Maybe the buffoons in UKIP will have a go?

Exactly where I was last election and nothings changed for me, it'd still be a decision on who would I think was least bad as I don't think any party is 'good' right now.
  • edited November 2017
    Where’s the Penny Mordaunt would ya?!?!
  • Anyway, about that nasty party...
  • edited November 2017
    Another screw up and demonstration of a lack of nous and tactical ability by May IMO. Patel should not have been given the opportunity of resigning but sacked while she was in mid-air and her replacement announced before she hit the tarmac.

As an aside, Patel's an Essex MP and they had another Essex MP, my MP, Vicky Ford on TV to talk about the situation. She's new and a replacement for the retired Simon Burns. It's the first time I've seen her in action, so to speak.

It was a very odd experience. She'd obviously done the course where they bang on about slowing down your speech because we all speak too quickly and that does't work well on video.

But she over-cooked it and spoke

very

very

slowly

indeed.

To

such

an
    extent
    that
    you had

to

wait

for
    ages

before

you
    got
    to
    find
    out what she had to

say.

And, by the time she'd finished you'd lost the will to live. A very peculiar woman. Made Diane Abbott at her worst seem like she was on speed.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

seth plum said:

Leaving aside everything about the man for the moment. The only thing Boris should be doing right now, 24/7, is to get Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe back to the UK. Nothing else.

Also, the other thing I find amazing is the amount of people in the Tory party saying ‘oh priti is so talented, it won’t be long before she’s back’
    Larry David disagrees.

He thinks she’s Priti, Priti, Priti, Priti, Priti shit!
    I have been resisting that reference for several days and was about to crack.
  • Some people are so lucky. Just resigned and now she walks straight into a new job. I guess they call that stickability....

• edited November 2017
    Our spineless media neglected to mention the Silent March until it had actually happened. More merdé for the Tories who ignored the Camberwell coroner's report in 2009 leading to needless deaths and are refusing to fund safety upgrades for tower blocks, hospitals and educational buildings.
  • edited December 2017
    I heard Jeremy Hunt on Peston this morning say that the extra £300 million (over three years and to eventually cover 25% of the country) put into children's mental health "should actually lead to less demand for NHS services".

Who would have thought that prevention would reduce the demand for more expensive services! I am flabbergasted that the Tories have been in power for seven years and Jeremy Hunt has been the Health minister for five years and that this has only just occurred to him/them.

Whilst the funds are a welcome and much needed step in the right direction, it is not enough and does of course only partially replace the equivalent funds cut early in the coalition government.

I would love the so called party of business to rediscover their One Nation roots and understand that sometimes you spend money to make/save money.

• edited December 2017
    Disability cuts

Cuts to Personal Independence Payments (PIP) have left hundreds of thousands of disabled people without vital financial support. Nearly 200,000 have lost £3,000 a year, while another 400,000 have lost £1,400 a year.

Disability charities have described the cuts as “devastating” – arguing that vulnerable individuals will no longer have access to aid and appliances that allow them to live independently.
  • I heard Jeremy Hunt on Peston this morning say that the extra £300 million (over three years and to eventually cover 25% of the country) put into children's mental health "should actually lead to less demand for NHS services".

Who would have thought that prevention would reduce more the demand for more expensive services! I am flabbergasted that the Tories have been in power for seven years and Jeremy Hunt has been the Health minister for five years and that this has only just occurred to him/them.

Whilst the funds are a welcome and much needed step in the right direction, it is not enough and does of course only partially replace the equivalent funds cut early in the coalition government.

I would love the so called party of business to rediscover their One Nation roots and understand that sometimes you spend money to make/save money.

It is worse than I thought https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/dec/03/300m-mental-health-support-for-schools-initiative-dismissed-as-inadequate-by-labour it will only actually cover up to 25% of the country by the end of the parliament in 2022.

Too little, too late.
  • Corbyn's doing a good job as PM but he really does need better politicians doing his bidding
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!