Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Artificial grass fitting

Anyone done it?

How hard can it be?Joining it looks a bit tricky.

I've had a couple of quotes that out to nearly £80 sq m supplied & fitted!

Comments

• I laid it in our front garden and it was pretty easy. It was only a small area though, how big an area are you laying?
  • We used Mayplace Carpets in Barnehurst. We had just over 40 sqm done and all in (groundwork, supply & fitting) it came to about £2000. We went for a mid price 'grass' so that can have a bearing on cost
  • I do it but it's not cheap
  • I laid it in our front garden and it was pretty easy. It was only a small area though, how big an area are you laying?

I reckon about 40m2

Would it be worth me doing all the prep and getting someone to fit the turf?

Would it be worth me doing all the prep and getting someone to fit the turf?
    No
    No disrespect but you will probably not do the prep right.
    As for the artificial turf it's a bit like buying carpets the price varies upon the quality you want
  • #thinkoftheworms
  • edited May 2017
    I've got more real grass growing in my artificial turf than there would be if it was just lawn.
  • #thinkoftheworms

This, I'm no greenie but I do think we are tarmacking/paving/covering up too much of the green stuff. If you block pave your drive & have artificial grass in your back garden how is the water going to drain through & keep our reservoirs' topped up ?
  • #thinkoftheworms

This, I'm no greenie but I do think we are tarmacking/paving/covering up too much of the green stuff. If you block pave your drive & have artificial grass in your back garden how is the water going to drain through & keep our reservoirs' topped up ?
    Artificial turf is porous
  • Sponsored links:

• I sell artificial grass at work, it looks horrible.

Lay composite decking.
  • Brings back memories of the legendary @razil lawn thread!
  • We had a quite for artificial grass from a company called easigrass. Lovely product but 55 sq metres came in at around 5k but there was a lot of levelling out needed first. Couldn't justify the cost over re-turfing although with two dogs we were sorely tempted. Once our garden has been landscaped I can see us having it done in a couple of years.
  • Has anyone ever had a breakdown of the floor preparation and grass sheet costing per sq metre, seems excessive to me.
  • No mistaking my lawn.
  • My mother had artificial grass put down about 6 years ago due to her inability to cut and look after the real stuff. It was certainly a good thing for her and still looks good today but I'm not a big fan of it. I enjoy my lawn, growing and cutting trying to get the ultimate blades of grass and failing.
  • mickc said:

Has anyone ever had a breakdown of the floor preparation and grass sheet costing per sq metre, seems excessive to me.

Easigrass would supply ours at around £38 plus VAT per square metre but then you'd also have to buy the aggregate etc for underneath and the weed proof membrane etc. It is expensive hence we decided to have the landscaper level out the garden, top soil it and lay turf. If after a couple of years we realise we have made a mistake at least half the work would have been done.
  • Grass and trees absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen. We need oxygen to live and reduced carbon dioxide reduces green house gasses and global warming.

I get that people have their particular reasons for clearing trees or having artificial lawns but this basic fact of life seems to be often forgotten.

We are going out of our way to keep the trees in our garden when it's redone, it would be far easier to get rid, but enough of the country is being concreted over as it is.
  • Grass and trees absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen. We need oxygen to live and reduced carbon dioxide reduces green house gasses and global warming.

I get that people have their particular reasons for clearing trees or having artificial lawns but this basic fact of life seems to be often forgotten.

We are going out of our way to keep the trees in our garden when it's redone, it would be far easier to get rid, but enough of the country is being concreted over as it is.
    I know its a bit off topic but I took a real estate valuation elective at uni, and I will always remember the lecturer telling us that just 2.27% of the UK is land mass is "built on" which includes roads, railways etc.

The article below describes this and also shows that even in urban areas in England, "78.6% is designated as natural rather than built."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096

• Sponsored links:

• mickc said:

Has anyone ever had a breakdown of the floor preparation and grass sheet costing per sq metre, seems excessive to me.

Easigrass would supply ours at around £38 plus VAT per square metre but then you'd also have to buy the aggregate etc for underneath and the weed proof membrane etc. It is expensive hence we decided to have the landscaper level out the garden, top soil it and lay turf. If after a couple of years we realise we have made a mistake at least half the work would have been done.
    This is still excessive, I've been in the floorcovering business for many years and have access to all these products so I can see this is a corner of the market that is being exploited.
  • I believe that @cabbles knows plenty on this subject
  • mickc said:

mickc said:

This is still excessive, I've been in the floorcovering business for many years and have access to all these products so I can see this is a corner of the market that is being exploited.
    That's what I thought. My quote included a decent lawn at about £27 pm. I know there's a bit of prep involved, but at £50 pm it seems excessive.
    Think the gardening boys are having a bit of a pants pulling moment.
  • Had mine 5 years, hoovered it this morning and it looks the fuckin nuts.
  • mickc said:

Judging by SL about 15 million over 3 phases spread over ten years. ;)
  • What to do with the off cuts.
  • We had a quite for artificial grass from a company called easigrass. Lovely product but 55 sq metres came in at around 5k but there was a lot of levelling out needed first. Couldn't justify the cost over re-turfing although with two dogs we were sorely tempted. Once our garden has been landscaped I can see us having it done in a couple of years.

well, after having the garden done in early September and having it re-turfed it is now looking absolutely dreadful. Looks increasingly likely that we will have to bite the bullet and have the artificial grass after all. With two dogs it looks as though turf isn't the way to go. Artificial grass is very expensive but in the long run it's going to more cost effective.

I do it but it's not cheap

when you say you do it, is that professionally?
  • Go to Carpet Sale Centre, Strood, ask for Paul.
  • Go to Carpet Sale Centre, Strood, ask for Paul.

thanks, will bear them in mind.