Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    At this stage I really fancy a bowl at the Goulds. Let's arrange a friendly.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Absolutely f*cking not!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Hope you have a decent ball supplier that will do you a good deal.
  • Options

Leuth said:

And just to illustrate the point, Byron Gould hit over a thousand runs last season - in 4s and 6s alone!
  • Options

Leuth said:

And just to illustrate the point, Byron Gould hit over a thousand runs last season - in 4s and 6s alone!
    Last year he nearly hit more 6's than 4's (100/102), top score of 361 and an average of 73. I see he went for a 0 in one game - the bowler must be still areoplaning around the outfield.

• Options
    The fact that they're arrogant, rude wankers does nothing to stop the ill-feeling towards them.
  • Options
    Did this fella come close to playing County cricket ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I believe that he was a Kent scholar in the same year group as Adam Ball.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Just done a quick Google, and found this scorecard from 2014. He was playing Div 1 cricket for Whitstable - and was their captain that day!

158 runs, 134 in boundaries (17 4s and 11 6s)... Yeah, seems like a decent knock. Gave himself 7 overs, too.

https://littlebourne.play-cricket.com/website/results/2391473

---------------------------------

I understand the whole moving back to Littlebourne to play with his mates, but... wow. Bloody hell, c'mon.
  • Options
    I love this thread.
    Just sayin'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    11th June:
    seth plum said:

Keep it up guys, this thread is a great read.

9th July:
    seth plum said:

I love this thread.
    Just sayin'.

Do you plan on saying this every month? :wink:
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

MrOneLung said:

Just done a quick Google, and found this scorecard from 2014. He was playing Div 1 cricket for Whitstable - and was their captain that day!

158 runs, 134 in boundaries (17 4s and 11 6s)... Yeah, seems like a decent knock. Gave himself 7 overs, too.

I understand the whole moving back to Littlebourne to play with his mates, but... wow. Bloody hell, c'mon.
    PaddyP17 said:

MrOneLung said:

Not just his mates though is it? It's his dad and two brothers too. They will probably be in the KCL next season and I have no argument with any of that and prefer that to the likes of Roebucks for example. However, I don't see that there is any sound argument for him playing in the 6th tier of the Kent Village League.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

MrOneLung said:

PaddyP17 said:

MrOneLung said:

Not just his mates though is it? It's his dad and two brothers too. They will probably be in the KCL next season and I have no argument with any of that and prefer that to the likes of Roebucks for example. However, I don't see that there is any sound argument for him playing in the 6th tier of the Kent Village League.
    Exactly.

The drop in level on saturday is bad enough, but doing that on a Sunday is quite frankly taking the piss.

Seriously, why? Surely he finds it cringy. Although, having met him, he probably doesn't.

Shallow runs that must make him feel really good about himself.

Absolute twat.
  • Options
    I'd imagine there are a few people thinking I'm just jealous.

To those people I say.... you're absolutely bang on. :-)
  • Options
    Up until last Saturday, under the new Law 42 laws, only one player had been reported by the umpires in the top six Divisions of the KCL.

On Saturday, four players were reported by one umpire from one match.

Any guesses which match that might have been?

A clue is that the team were deducted 2 points for a slow over rate, then had three LBWs given against them.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Up until last Saturday, under the new Law 42 laws, only one player had been reported by the umpires in the top six Divisions of the KCL.

A clue is that the team were deducted 2 points for a slow over rate, then had three LBWs given against them.

I see it was the Tonbridge v High Halstow game with the latter the recipient of the penalty points. Mind you I've heard that the umpire is a comedian although I was of the belief that Dave Allen had passed away.
  • Options
    what About the other players playing with this Byron Gould mob , they clearly get limited batting and bowling opportunities , so surely they’d be as fucked off as the oppo
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

I see it was the Tonbridge v High Halstow game with the latter the recipient of the penalty points. Mind you I've heard that the umpire is a comedian although I was of the belief that Dave Allen had passed away.
    I umpired with Dave for OCs a few weeks back when our 4s had a bye week.

Some interesting umpiring decisions were made and I shall leave it at that.
  • Options
    I should be clear that I don't actually know the umpire Dave Allen - the reference is to the former TV comedian of the same name. But, presumably, the League felt that they had to act upon his or the other umpire's report (assuming there was another unnamed one).

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I should be clear that I don't actually know the umpire Dave Allen - the reference is to the former TV comedian of the same name. But, presumably, the League felt that they had to act upon his or the other umpire's report (assuming there was another unnamed one).

He was the only standing umpire in that game.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

He was the only standing umpire in that game.
    Which in itself makes the job a lot harder. I assume that he is the dad of one of the Tonbridge players by the same name which will have put him even more under the microscope.

I had to do both ends the other week because we didn't have anyone else qualified to do the job and the opposition didn't have anyone either. The all time low of doing the job was to have to give Seb run out at the bowler's end - which was followed by the bowler kicking the stumps over in celebration, so much so that the stumps wouldn't go back into the ground again properly. To say I wasn't amused by Seb or the bowler was an understatement!

And that is why I and I suspect a lot of other people hate to umpire - especially if you have someone close to you involved in the game itself.
  • Options
    It is hard when you're on your own, and that makes Mr Allen very brave doing what he did.

If someone kicks over the stumps (especially after running Seb out) then they should be reported!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

It is hard when you're on your own, and that makes Mr Allen very brave doing what he did.

If someone kicks over the stumps (especially after running Seb out) then they should be reported!

Well there is an amusing side to the story but sums up the situation of the match and the difference between games where there are appointed umpires.

Immediately after the "lad" kicked the stumps over, a senior player from the opposition came over and apologised profusely and said that he was "only young". Now the player in question was probably about 5' 5'' and had a baby face but the opposition had not provided me with a card so I couldn't be certain of his age but assumed that he was 14/15. I called the captain over and told him that it was only because he was "only young" that I wasn't taking further action. The player then apologised to me.

Anyway, following the bowler's 6th over, I called over to the skipper that he couldn't bowl any more overs in this spell. His reply was "that's not right - he's 20!" to which my response was that if I had known that at the time I would have taken further action.

Two lessons:

(1) Never go into a game without a card from both teams

(2) Never judge a book by its cover!
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

Well there is an amusing side to the story but sums up the situation of the match and the difference between games where there are appointed umpires.

Immediately after the "lad" kicked the stumps over, a senior player from the opposition came over and apologised profusely and said that he was "only young". Now the player in question was probably about 5' 5'' and had a baby face but the opposition had not provided me with a card so I couldn't be certain of his age but assumed that he was 14/15. I called the captain over and told him that it was only because he was "only young" that I wasn't taking further action. The player then apologised to me.

Anyway, following the bowler's 6th over, I called over to the skipper that he couldn't bowl any more overs in this spell. His reply was "that's not right - he's 20!" to which my response was that if I had known that at the time I would have taken further action.

Two lessons:

(1) Never go into a game without a card from both teams

(2) Never judge a book by its cover!
    Indeed. I refuse to umpire any game where I don't have a team sheet (signed!), as it nullifies my insurance if I do not. League rules state they should be completed, so why doesn't everyone? As a captain, you should do it automatically!

I'm all for letting the game flow, and keeping banter in check. Actions though are tougher to manage, and many players do hit/kick/or shout out in frustration. I haven't had to deal with a celebration though like yours (other than send offs, which are few and far between these days)!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The spoils go to @lolwray and his mob. OCCC lose by 60 runs, with an excellent 80-odd from Ansar Mahmood the foundation in a total of 218-6.

We started poorly in reply, slumping to 16-2 very slowly, before a mini-revival to 99-5. Some lusty tail wagging dragged us to 158 all out off exactly 40 overs.

I opened the batting and bowling. Before any lambastingre captain's prerogative, it's because I'd never played with half my side before, and our other opening bowler was late!

We genuinely had three number elevens, and really were basically two bats short. But I've unearthed a solid leg spinner who doubles up as an excellent jazz drummer. When worlds collide!

Oh well, onwards and upwards to OD CUACO next week.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

The spoils go to @lolwray and his mob. OCCC lose by 60 runs, with an excellent 80-odd from Ansar Mahmood the foundation in a total of 218-6.

We started poorly in reply, slumping to 16-2 very slowly, before a mini-revival to 99-5. Some lusty tail wagging dragged us to 158 all out off exactly 40 overs.

I opened the batting and bowling. Before any lambastingre captain's prerogative, it's because I'd never played with half my side before, and our other opening bowler was late!

We genuinely had three number elevens, and really were basically two bats short. But I've unearthed a solid leg spinner who doubles up as an excellent jazz drummer. When worlds collide!

Paddy I thought I d come on here before looking at play cricket...assume 4cs won the toss ..ha ansah got 80 ...he must have been totally verschmuttered after that ...running is normally an indignity to him

I would have thought our bowling was weak though

Well hard luck that's cricket and all that I am sorry I didn't get the chance to play against you ..all the best for next week
  • Options
    lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

Paddy I thought I d come on here before looking at play cricket...assume 4cs won the toss ..ha ansah got 80 ...he must have been totally verschmuttered after that ...running is normally an indignity to him

I would have thought our bowling was weak though

Well hard luck that's cricket and all that I am sorry I didn't get the chance to play against you ..all the best for next week
    Goes down in the book as Neil winning it but I'd have fielded first anyway!

It was one or four to be fair, mainly fours - your outfield was LIGHTNING.

As for the bowling, Rob and Dean wisely took pace off the ball, and as our batting was no great shakes, nullified us well. Not too fussed about the result - a good game and a good time had by all! Hope to cross paths soon, ideally when we're both promoted next season!
  • Options
    The openers played well but we didn't half hand them some chances. Meanwhile I got excited by the excess turn and bowled probably my worst spell of the season. Still got 3-31! The big haul is definitely, definitely coming soon...although I seem to have a new spin twin to carve it up with. Ali and Rashid, eat your heart out...