Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congrats Phil Parkinson

Apologies if it's mentioned elsewhere but our ex-manager achieved his third promotion yesterday, this time with Bolton. Never bad-mouthed us, always seems genuine.

Comments

• Fully agreed, always liked him.
  • Yes, well done to him.
  • Never warmed to him personally.
    But 3 promotions very impressive
    Well done
  • Liked the man, always wished him well. Congratulations Parky
  • Seemed far more "Charlton" than his predecessor. Well done Parky.
  • In the days when you could watch the team train from the footpath in Avery Hill Park, Parky would always come over and have a chat. Proper gent so will always have my respect
    Well done

And a League Cup final too! Reaching the 4th round is a major achievement for us...
  • Well done to the man in the V neck.

Unenviable no win job succeeding the Big nosed twat at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

Well done

And a League Cup final too! Reaching the 4th round is a major achievement for us...
    2nd round next year will be a major achievement for us
  • Glad he's finally earned that second promotion into the Championship as he deserved to do it with both Charlton and Bradford!!

Now lets see what he can do in the Championship with his own squad!!... Be the first time he's been able to do this seeing he left Colchester the moment he got them up last time!!
  • League 1 Jumper Award but has he got the clobber to do the same at a higher level?
  • Some on here should hang their head in shame. Took a lot of stick but the usual know nothings. Good manager, we should have kept him.
  • masicat said:

Some on here should hang their head in shame. Took a lot of stick but the usual know nothings. Good manager, we should have kept him.

I mean 'from', edit not working.
  • Good bloke no doubt but he was part of the management team for the whole of that disastrous relegation from the Championship and thereafter he done a decent enough job in League One but without his removal the beautiful SCP reign would never have happened .

Parky should count his blessings he got away from our club , he didn't have to work under the current twat ownership of ours
  • Sponsored links:

• People were spoiled by seven years of Premier League football prior to Parkinson, they thought we could still attract big name managers who would definitely get more out of the likes of Kelly Youga, Therry Racon and Matt Spring.

Things being as they are now really puts his managerial qualities into perspective.
  • People were spoiled by seven years of Premier League football prior to Parkinson, they thought we could still attract big name managers who would definitely get more out of the likes of Kelly Youga, Therry Racon and Matt Spring.

Things being as they are now really puts his managerial qualities into perspective.

Parky was in the frame for the job to succeed Curbs before eventually Dowie got it.

One cannot help but think 'what if.'
  • Nice bloke, spoke well & very genuine. Heard him a few times at Bromley supporters meetings & always came across well. His tactics were a bit iffy at times & I know Large always remembers our game away at Swansea in the Championship when he defended a 1-1 scoreline & didn't go for the 3 points, which might have kept us up. However, I would have preferred him to our previous 5 managers.
  • The first season in league one we were just sliding off the pace and could have missed out on the play offs and Parky got very lucky with an injury to Elliot during the Gillingham game which forced him to play the better keeper Randolph who went on to have a storming end of the season to ensure our strong finish .
    He ended up refusing to make Randy no.1 which ended with our better keeper eventually leaving .
    He also didn't play Jonjo as much as he should near the end of his time with us even though Liverpool were happy for him to be playing (source a different uncle to the one who was on here)

he also had a worse record than pardew points per game in that relegation season with players he already knew cos he'd been working with pardew for nearly a year by then

He done decent enough for us in the circumstances but I think some of his achievements elsewhere have trumped his Charlton period

• edited May 2017

Good bloke no doubt but he was part of the management team for the whole of that disastrous relegation from the Championship and thereafter he done a decent enough job in League One but without his removal the beautiful SCP reign would never have happened .

Parky should count his blessings he got away from our club , he didn't have to work under the current twat ownership of ours

Parky has to take some responsiblity for the relegation fiasco, but with a bit more investment, we could quite easily have gone up under Parky. Imagine the Parky squad, but with BWP up front instead of the likes of loanees David Mooney and Akpo Sodje

His hands were massively tied by the financial problems of the ailing Murray regime, selling Shelvey to Liverpool when we were still in the playoffs summed up how bad things were. Given a similar budget and clean sheet that Powell got for his wonderful promotion season, his track record suggests he would have done a similar job.
    Agree completely - and yet there were clowns on here calling a bloke who'd spent his whole life in football "tactically naive" and "utterly clueless" and who took great delight in hounding him out of the door.

That first season in L1 - when we lost to Swindon in the POs - was an incredible achievement, we had ONE striker for most of the season [an ageing Deon Burton] and still finished within two points of automatic promotion.

If BWP had come in rather than cut price Akpo Sodje, David Mooney and Nicky Forster then we may well have gone up automatically.
    I know there are seasons when you look back at results and think, what had that gone differently etc. but that first season with Parky just look at the Norwich results (2-2 | 0-1) had we got four points from those two matches that we well deserved (i.e. We were leading in injury time @ Carrow Road and had it not been for Fraser Forster we'd have got a point at the Valley) that would have been enough for promotion.

I've never forgotten this but I remember keeping an eye on the BBC text service on the final day of the League One season, when we started beating Oldham we briefly went into second... One person commented saying that we would be the most undeserving team (out of Leeds and Millwall) to get that second spot but we were in the top two for half the whole season!!
  • Met Parky a few times and thought he was a class act. Did well with very limited resources in L1 and knew how to rock a v-neck.
  • Good bloke and a decent manager IMO what I really like about him is that despite being shown the door unceremoniously he acted with dignity and that says a lot about anyone. Lets be honest he was on a hiding to nothing when he took over from Pardew but gave it his best shot on very limited resources and I have to say the team he had that reached the playoffs would have beaten the current team easily. Pleased for him and wish him well.
  • Well done Parky. He did a superb job at Bolton last season against a backcloth of severe financial problems and uncertainty. He made zero player purchases and lost his best forward in the transfer window. He certainly knows how to organise a team and get the best out of limited resources and I think he will need all those qualities next season - plus some money to spend - if he's going to keep Bolton in the Championship. You can't have Gary Madine running around as your centre forward in that league.

He obviously suffered a little at Charlton through a perceived 'guilt by association' with Pardew, although, as human beings, the two could hardly be more different. He did very well to get us into the play-offs in his first full season and, following the break up of that team, it's easy to forget that he had something like 12 players at the start of pre-season training. Notwithstanding that and the financially distressed state of the club, he still managed to get us well up the table with a side that was starting to run on empty. Events (notably, the takeover) conspired against him but he certainly went on to enhance his reputation with a stand up job at Bradford.

Good luck to him and his team next year.
  • Well done Phil. Glad that you got out on time.
  • Glad he's finally earned that second promotion into the Championship as he deserved to do it with both Charlton and Bradford!!

Now lets see what he can do in the Championship with his own squad!!... Be the first time he's been able to do this seeing he left Colchester the moment he got them up last time!!

Heard on the radio that Bolton still have financial trouble....they may struggle next year but well done to PP.