Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky Holmes

Comments

• Options

Bid accepted for Ricky Holmes from Sheffield United. Friend of a friend at the BBC. Here we go again.

Not surprised
  • Options

Bid accepted for Ricky Holmes from Sheffield United. Friend of a friend at the BBC. Here we go again.

If you (or your "friend" is a WUM then I'm taking you down myself........

NOT FUNNY
    Definitely not a WUM. I never hear anything or post rumours like that. He genuinely works at the BBC. Just passing it on.
  • Options
    Hopefully will be wrapped up early doors so we don't have this hanging over all summer
  • Options

Why have the BBC not published? I used to work with the BBC on a day to day basis and while their sports reporter's are very nice, they are normally the last to learn anything.

The Holmes to Sheffield United rumour has been doing the rounds for a month now. Let's just see what happens...
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Why have the BBC not published? I used to work with the BBC on a day to day basis and while their sports reporter's are very nice, they are normally the last to learn anything.

The Holmes to Sheffield United rumour has been doing the rounds for a month now. Let's just see what happens...
    No idea. As I said, just thought I'd share. Hopefully it's wrong.
  • Options

With Ceballos returning do we need Ricky Holmes?

That's corners covered then.
  • Options
    Please stay Ricky!!
  • Options
    Decent player but if much rather we kept Holmes... or both...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How much will Sheffield U pay for Holmes? I can't see them offering enough for us to bite. Age and lack of Champ experience is against him.
  • Options
    Putting the crosses in for Ched Evans? Hoped he'd have more class than that.
  • Options

Can't see why Holmes would want to stay? Short of a massive increase in wages why would he want to be here?

he is fairly local in Southend so might prefer now at his age to be back near family, with a wage increase can see him staying.
    I would have thought he'd fancy moving.........
  • Options
    Would make sense with Robinson liking Carruthers. In fact Robinson likes anything he is familiar with..
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    It sounds as if, as others have said, the Sheffield United rumour is partly an agent trying to get a better deal for his player. Although I suspect Wilder does want him.
    My gut instinct is Holmes would like to stay. He seems happy. Does he have kids? Are they settled in the area? But he also wants to be paid the same as the top earner at Charlton. So that means, as player of the year quite fairly imo, renegotiating his contract. And we know who does the renegotiating don't we...
    Expect to see him holding up a SUFC scarfy on the Bramall Lane pitch soon then.
  • Options
    he did not exactly come across as thrilled with Charlton in his acceptance video for the POTY that I watched. Something about joining us expecting promotion. Would hardly surprise if he has very keen on the move. As above his age and lack of Champ experience will affect his sell on but with a year left on his contract and a player farming profit to be made I would be surprised if RD tried too hard to keep him.
  • Options
    Homes has to be looking at the best financial deal he can get. Having spent his career in the lower leagues he would want to try and make the most of what is left of his time - He is 30 in June so say three years, so the length of any deal will be important to him.

I would think that SU would only be interested if they can get Homes cheaply from us. i.e. less than £250k.

If we want to keep him I think the ball is very much in our court. I am not sure he would be a regular at SU and may not get the freedom to play his game. Those thoughts must be in his mind as he has just had the best season of his career with us. I think he will be open to a reasonable offer.

We need some stability and keeping our best players sends out the right signals. Not just to us as supporters, but to potential signings.

If he leaves, it will be because we did not want him enough IMO.
  • Options
    Heard that the Blades are also interested in Da Silva.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we will see the usual RD/KM balls up over Holmes.

The correct route is to offer him an improved 3 year deal to take him to age 33, and be the basis on which we build a promotion side.

The Belgians will accept £1m for him and then spend it on crap replacement(s) / loanees.
  • Options
    Crap loaners, they want be that good.
  • Options
    Well, if it's going to happen, at least it looks like it'll be done quickly and we can start planning our Saturdays for next season.
  • Options
    Do the regime comprehend that in order to have any kind of season ticket sales improvement, they need to look like they are serious about putting a squad together for promotion. Selling a standout fan favourite player, who can be the basis of a promotion challenging team is totally moronic, and would be a detriment to ticket sales. Have they not learned anything from the Kermo sale?

Weapons. Grade. Facepalm.
  • Options
    When it's on the OS, until then, nobody knows anything.

Copyright: H.I.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Do the regime comprehend that in order to have any kind of season ticket sales improvement, they need to look like they are serious about putting a squad together for promotion. Selling a standout fan favourite player, who can be the basis of a promotion challenging team is totally moronic, and would be a detriment to ticket sales. Have they not learned anything from the Kermo sale?

Do they look capable of learning anything from their copious mistakes?
  • Options
    cfgs said:

CAFCTrev said:

Do they look capable of learning anything from their copious mistakes?
    The only time I would accept Holmes being sold, is the scenario that RD try's to recuperate some of his losses and then sells the club
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Learned lol funny guy.

Does stig still do his post of the week ?
  • Options
    In these situations, a lot depends on what the player wants. If a player wants to go, then it's really hard to make them stay.

Holmes, for example, wanted to leave Northampton for us, and asked for a transfer. And as we finished 3 places higher than them, it was clearly the right decision....