Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

Rolands only escape plan was redeveloping the Valley for housing while CAFC play at a smaller ground elsewhere.
    When I raised this suspicion a few years back, folk on here said it was nonsense and that Greenwich would never allow it. Truth is, if CAFC were still playing elsewhere in the borough - LBG would be all for it.

Bexley just announced plans to build 30,000 new homes in their borough, and LBG are under huge pressure to provide more homes.

If we ever get the chance to buy the actual pitch (in small portions) like Chelsea fans did, then we should jump at the chance. Sadly, this is unlikely to happen and the Valley will always be at risk - even though we once bought shares in CAFC to keep it safe.

I believe it is still nonsense. No one is talking about redeveloping The Valley for housing.
    @Covered End

If Roland puts the rent up to an unrealistic figure, we won't be able to afford to play there - so we will play somewhere else, and so the sequence begins until we are left with just a smile and a Vegimite sandwich.
  • Options

Rolands only escape plan was redeveloping the Valley for housing while CAFC play at a smaller ground elsewhere.
    When I raised this suspicion a few years back, folk on here said it was nonsense and that Greenwich would never allow it. Truth is, if CAFC were still playing elsewhere in the borough - LBG would be all for it.

Bexley just announced plans to build 30,000 new homes in their borough, and LBG are under huge pressure to provide more homes.

If we ever get the chance to buy the actual pitch (in small portions) like Chelsea fans did, then we should jump at the chance. Sadly, this is unlikely to happen and the Valley will always be at risk - even though we once bought shares in CAFC to keep it safe.

I believe it is still nonsense. No one is talking about redeveloping The Valley for housing.
    @Covered End

If Roland puts the rent up to an unrealistic figure, we won't be able to afford to play there - so we will play somewhere else, and so the sequence begins until we are left with just a smile and a Vegimite sandwich.
    I understand what you're saying and until we know any detail, I'm 50/50, whether this could be good or bad.

However, the co head of the consortium is CEO of Balfour Beatty, so is unlikely to sign a lease that would allow RD to put the rent up to an unrealistic figure.

The most likely scenario for Valley redevelopment, would be if a new owner went into administration and then we could be forced out of The Valley if we couldn't pay the rent.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    bobmunro said:

vff said:

@Covered End

I understand what you're saying and until we know any detail, I'm 50/50, whether this could be good or bad.

However, the co head of the consortium is CEO of Balfour Beatty, so is unlikely to sign a lease that would allow RD to put the rent up to an unrealistic figure.

The most likely scenario for Valley redevelopment, would be if a new owner went into administration and then we could be forced out of The Valley if we couldn't pay the rent.
    Isn't the Balfour Beatty guy's involvement as a non executive director ? Duchatelet is going to set the terms and see what chumps agree for him to keep hold of the stadium. In effect it is a change of management team only. Duchatlet remains in control of the key asset & will look to extract value and his money back from the club.
    Pure speculation - not least wildly speculating about the total and utter incompetence of the major players (chumps!) in the AFC consortium and their corporate lawyers (not likely to be from the Meire school of law I hasten to add) in being sucked in to signing a dodgy lease. If it doesn't work then they won't do it.

If the deal was a secure long term lease at a reasonable fixed rental (or linked with inflation) with no profit share from the operation, with an option to buy the freehold at a point in the future (e.g. on promotion to the prem) at a fixed price agreed up front, then it frees up working capital to finance the promotion (two) push. Funds would then be more readily available to us as a premier league club to fund the freehold purchase. If that was the sort of deal then I have no problem with it at all.
    My thoughts exactly @bobmunro
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of speculation here but, if the plan to lease back the ground turns out to be true, it would confirm Roland's main interest all along: the redevelopment of The Valley in some, way, shape or form (and despite all the planning restrictions and problems of space/access).

I can't say I'm over the moon about this Australian rumour - even if it did mean seeing the back of Meire & TK - but Roland can't remain pulling the strings either
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The difference between a buy-out with/without the Valley can be no more than £10m. RD paid £12m in the league above, sold assets, so cannot expect to get £30m+ despite his spending. Any buyer will have to budget for £20m+ losses over next three years so any deal like this will have no legs. Only a Jiminez like chancer would procced on that basis.
  • Options

The difference between a buy-out with/without the Valley can be no more than £10m. RD paid £12m in the league above, sold assets, so cannot expect to get £30m+ despite his spending. Any buyer will have to budget for £20m+ losses over next three years so any deal like this will have no legs. Only a Jiminez like chancer would procced on that basis.

He bought club, ground and training ground for c£12m which is part of what club owes him. He has now possibly sold the club and sparrows for £20m and do effectively got £8m profit and the ground for free? Just the matter of how he will get his loans back. Always his plan? Is it why he rejects other possible suitors who want the ground too?
  • Options
    My fear is we could be going from an owner who clearly has no affinity with us but has a strange outlook on life, community, politics, dancing and unhealthy obsession with football clubs to another mob who have no affinity to us or any other English club, not interested in our community and just want to buy into the league pyramid system to nurture Aussie talent.
    We might become a short lived franchise.
    I wonder if we can have a former director on the next board to be the voice back to fans and give advice to the new owners. It worked out so well last time
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The fact of the matter is, Duchatelet will only get a return on his investment if we get to the Premier League. In League one he will lose around £1m a month. So surely a deal which involves the buyback of the Valley at a set price within 5 years and a very low rent would represent his best chance of getting any money back. That means he stops losing money and gets some of his investment back and a chance of getting more.

I think it is the buyer that holds the best hand here. And if you can get a deal like that in terms of the ground, the other advantage is that there is less haggling over the price. I agree that letting Duchatelet have the Valley on his terms would not be clever, but I think we have to assume the Aussies are far from stupid. The way wealth is distributed in the game, you can afford to be a bit generous in the event of success and it mitigates the risks if it doesn't work.
  • Options
    My take on it is that the Aussies are not being forced into any deal. They could just as easy walk away if the terms are not to their liking and feel that they cannot make it work just as Roland can do the same if he feels it's not a good deal for him!
  • Options
    I think selling the club for £1 would financially be good for Roland - He is losing money at a ridiculous rate and Lookman is gone. The team needs a major overhaul and Konsa and Aribo are not even close to Lookman in terms of what you could get for them!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The former Directors (Murray etc) still have a first charge on The Valley, so would have a say on any change of club ownership or lease being granted on The Valley. Unless of course they were paid off.
  • Options
    When RD bought, it was said to be 16m + 4m if we stayed up. The last few days I've heard 16m, 14m and now 12m! Which is it? Just wondering.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

vff said:

@Covered End

Isn't the Balfour Beatty guy's involvement as a non executive director ? Duchatelet is going to set the terms and see what chumps agree for him to keep hold of the stadium. In effect it is a change of management team only. Duchatlet remains in control of the key asset & will look to extract value and his money back from the club.
    Pure speculation - not least wildly speculating about the total and utter incompetence of the major players (chumps!) in the AFC consortium and their corporate lawyers (not likely to be from the Meire school of law I hasten to add) in being sucked in to signing a dodgy lease. If it doesn't work then they won't do it.

If the deal was a secure long term lease at a reasonable fixed rental (or linked with inflation) with no profit share from the operation, with an option to buy the freehold at a point in the future (e.g. on promotion to the prem) at a fixed price agreed up front, then it frees up working capital to finance the promotion (two) push. Funds would then be more readily available to us as a premier league club to fund the freehold purchase. If that was the sort of deal then I have no problem with it at all.
    & do you really think that is likely with RD involved ? He's going to screw us !
  • Options
    Unfortunately, it's not up to us. Duchatelet is looking for somebody stupid enough to allow him to recoup his losses. By not wanting to buying the Valley, the Australians would seem happy to oblige him.

Is Richard Murray and his charge on the club's property the only thing that can be used to stop this deal?
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Unfortunately, it's not up to us. Duchatelet is looking for somebody stupid enough to allow him to recoup his losses. By not wanting to buying the Valley, the Australians would seem happy to oblige him.

Is Richard Murray and his charge on the club's property the only thing that can be used to stop this deal?

We have no idea what the consortium from Australia want or intend to do or even if they are buying.

Can't we just wait until we know more before getting depressed about things that might not ever happen.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Missed It said:

It's not just RM, he's owed £2m. There are five other former directors each owed £1m each with a charge (debenture), so RD needs to buy them off for £7m in total.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Missed It said:

It's nit just RM, he's owed £2m. There are five other former directors each owed £1m each with a charge (debenture).

Do these directors effectively have veto power on any deal then?
  • Options

Missed It said:

We have no idea what the consortium from Australia want or intend to do or even if they are buying.

Can't we just wait until we know more before getting depressed about things that might not ever happen.

Yes, I know. I've just feared for a long time that Duchatelet would flog the club and hold on to the Valley to keep leeching money of us for evermore.

I've got to stop reading this site! The whole situation is doing my head in!!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Inevitable on a fans forum that people will be concerned about leasing the ground but until we know the full details I am not going to damage my health worrying about it.

My best advice is to chill and be patient until we know the full facts. Even then I'm not sure what we can do if the consortium allow themselves to be screwed over which I really can't see them allowing to happen.

If I'm not mistaken, the late Ron Noades managed to keep selhurst park whilst a few people bought the club only.

The Belgians have to be rid of totally on the sale.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!