Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    Muir is obviously sending some sort of message by attending!  Has to still be interested or why be there?!  Maybe because of all the issues with investors pulling out he is thinking of going solo. 🤞
    If I had to guess, he’s wanting to show fans he’s still about and getting them to ramp up the pressure on his behalf by protesting.
    Seems he was there to meet another interested party. Muir has previously been willing to join up with other potential buyers, so that makes sense.
    But why would Jeff Bezos need Muir to join him when he alone has £112bn? 😀
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Curb_It said:
    Yes @Raith_C_Chattonell I realised my error yesterday... but ahem honestly last night I was referring to singular, a bottle opener!  

Really sorry everyone that picture has come out a lot bigger than I expected or meant.  
    It's difficult to gauge the actual size of those @Curb_It.......

You should line up @Tavern 's goolies alongside so we can properly assess  ;)
    I'm now wondering how you know how big Tavern's are to be able to make a comparison?

Fair point. Scrub my comment.  :)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Muir is obviously sending some sort of message by attending!  Has to still be interested or why be there?!  Maybe because of all the issues with investors pulling out he is thinking of going solo. 🤞
    If I had to guess, he’s wanting to show fans he’s still about and getting them to ramp up the pressure on his behalf by protesting.
    Seems he was there to meet another interested party. Muir has previously been willing to join up with other potential buyers, so that makes sense.
    Bez is buying us?

• Options
    Can we add "4th Nov - Muir turned up at a Charlton game....not sure why." to the bite size thread please?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Lost £30bn in his divorce recently. Gotta save the pennies.
  • Options
    Mal said:
    T_C_E said:
    Airman, what is so great about our club, that a potential buyer spends near on a couple of years hanging around trying to buy it, when his bids are continually rejected, I can understand it if we had shareholders like the Arsenals of the football world, but it just seems so daft to me, why not move on and try another club, Henry seemed to hint last nite that something was about to break, have you wind of anything about it being good news for us and the club?.
    I don’t think it’s as simple as that. My understanding is that Muir wants to buy a stake in the club; he hasn’t wanted to buy all of it. So he has been part of a shifting coalition of others and the fault has not always been with RD.

The problem is that whenever any entity gets close to buying the club they have been unable to reach a conclusion, whether because they don’t, when it comes to it, have all the money, the price changes or the club is unwilling or unable to satisfy the requirements of the buyer in terms of disclosure. All or any of these might be true at any one time.

I’m not aware Andrew Muir’s position has ever changed, but of course I only have a fraction of the picture. I guess his tenacity is linked to his frustration, but who knows?

Why is he so keen to buy a stake in Charlton though? So much so that he's been sniffing around for 2 years. There must be other clubs he can go and buy a stake in?
  • Options
    Our potential also being in London.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Look away people look away - I fear some of the key ingredients of the ultimately disappointing regurgitation loop are mobilising 
    Please don’t say this, I have lashed out on a bottle of real ale in anticipation of having a wild celebration.
  • Options
    Good news. @nth london addick and @Redhenry are silent. So no new news.
  • Options
    I'm keeping stumm too 😉
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Good news. @nth london addick and @Redhenry are silent. So no new news.

Probably as bored as the rest of us at it
  • Options

This is the start of the usual excitement of a potential takeover in the lead up to the Jan window opening.

We all get to the frenzied point where we really don't care that Roland has sold all the players and bought no-one as there will be a takeover before the window closes.... and then it closes.

• Options
    Scoham said:

This is the start of the usual excitement of a potential takeover in the lead up to the Jan window opening.

We all get to the frenzied point where we really don't care that Roland has sold all the players and bought no-one as there will be a takeover before the window closes.... and then it closes.

And there we have the first “fire sale” prediction ahead of the next transfer window.
    I would love to know where this annual tradition started.  Its never actually happened has it? 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

And there we have the first “fire sale” prediction ahead of the next transfer window.
    I would love to know where this annual tradition started.  Its never actually happened has it? 
    Takeover hasn't but rumours have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Repeated pattern under Roly. Summer transfer business alright given constraints and lack of investment. Usually leaves us 1 or 2 short of where we really need to be. Opportunity to build in January but always at least 1 high profile sale. We are yet to end a January transfer window stronger than we started it under Roland. Will this be the year?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Repeated pattern under Roly. Summer transfer business alright given constraints and lack of investment. Usually leaves us 1 or 2 short of where we really need to be. Opportunity to build in January but always at least 1 high profile sale. We are yet to end a January transfer window stronger than we started it under Roland. Will this be the year?
    Overall though we finished January 2019 stronger than we started. Losing Karlan was obviously a massive blow, but bringing in a left back (Purrington) was crucial while Williams was a stroke of genius

No coincidence that we were stronger in the second half of the season than the first.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Roland always sells players yes but the only window that might be considered a fire sale would be summer 2016 after relegation from the Championship. Even then we still put a squad together.

The fire sale predictions have always been about Roland leaving us with a squad mainly made up of u23s.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Selling "a high profile player" and a fire sale are 2 totally different things. Every time the clocks change a fire sale rumour starts, it's never happened.  Has it? 
  • Options
    2028: George Lapslie captains England to a 3-1 win over Germany in the final at the 2028 Euros.
    All well and good but has Brexit happened yet?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Roland always sells players yes but the only window that might be considered a fire sale would be summer 2016 after relegation from the Championship. Even then we still put a squad together.

The fire sale predictions have always been about Roland leaving us with a squad mainly made up of u23s.
    Which has never happened

Indeed this summer, when Roland more than ever is disinterested in the club, we've managed to put together a decent squad. Yes, more money would be nice, but the fact that the likes of Lapslie, Morgan, Sarpong and Stevenson have barely featured this season or been loaned out, shows how unreliant we are on the kids.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Selling "a high profile player" and a fire sale are 2 totally different things. Every time the clocks change a fire sale rumour starts, it's never happened.  Has it? 
    Sorry didnt word it very well. I was agreeing there was never a fire sale but it does seem to me like there is a pattern. I am not getting my hopes up for this jan window for instance. I expect to lose Taylor and one other and to replace with frees or loans.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Sorry didnt word it very well. I was agreeing there was never a fire sale but it does seem to me like there is a pattern. I am not getting my hopes up for this jan window for instance. I expect to lose Taylor and one other and to replace with frees or loans.
    There is a pattern, Roland is more concerned with not having to put any money in, than taking any out.  If Taylor goes in January, I agree its quite likely, it will be because he wants to go and we can't keep him.  As we won't make a lose this year I expect Bowyer to get most of the money. 

If you go through all the transfer outs since Roland took over and look at them honestly, how many of them leaving were just because "Roland sold them" or "Roland wouldn't pay them enough"? 

We could have got a lot more money for a few of them, that is not in doubt, but that's a different story.  He could have kept 2 outstanding players, for much longer than he did, but the rest would have left one way or another.

Remember how people moaned about how much we were paying Teixeria?  We would have to offer Taylor 2 or 3 times that to stay. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

There is a pattern, Roland is more concerned with not having to put any money in, than taking any out.  If Taylor goes in January, I agree its quite likely, it will be because he wants to go and we can't keep him.  As we won't make a lose this year I expect Bowyer to get most of the money. 

If you go through all the transfer outs since Roland took over and look at them honestly, how many of them leaving were just because "Roland sold them" or "Roland wouldn't pay them enough"? 

We could have got a lot more money for a few of them, that is not in doubt, but that's a different story.  He could have kept 2 outstanding players, for much longer than he did, but the rest would have left one way or another.

Remember how people moaned about how much we were paying Teixeria?  We would have to offer Taylor 2 or 3 times that to stay. 
    Really don’t think that’s true, although of course it depends who else wanted him.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!