Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Did I read somewhere that the only words allowed on the back of the shirt are 'Keohane In'.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Did I read somewhere that the only words allowed on the back of the shirt are 'Keohane In'.
    I believe it’s Burger Boy 
  • Options
    Few words missing there "Keohane back in the burger van" or possibly "Keohane in the dole que"
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The point being that the shop is an independent organisation and wouldn’t wish to be seen as being confrontational to their landlord.....perfectly understandable.
    The staff and owners may not actually give a toss one way or the other about what’s on the shirt but who in their right mind would wish to start a shit storm where good will is obviously the order of the day.
    Yes, it’s just a shop manager or even someone staff member call, but it’s unlikely to have caused a “shit storm” either way. There is no one on the club staff who would care or take issue with it.
    Maybe not......but it passes on down the line from a shop worker not knowing if his manager would approve, to his manager not knowing if his boss would approve, to his boss not knowing if club officials would approve ......and ultimately(though I agree, pretty unlikely), that someone who has Duchatalet’s ear might even inform him.
    Weird things happen sometimes (you should know that better than anyone Rick), and can become a shit storm with social media picking up on things to stir it up and blow it up out of all proportion .......so, understandably, no one is going to rock the boat.
  • Options
    1921, Charlton begin their league history with a 1-0 win against Exeter City in front of 13,000 fans at The Valley. Tommy Dowling scores the goal.

I was there
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Webby said:
    I have actually given up worrying about a takeover. Not sure any interested parties will be chucking millions about to push us up to the premiership anytime soon. Better the devil you know, Roland has been wearing huge loses and seemingly continuing to do so whilst agreeing a contract with the likes of Bowyer, Williams etc.  Almost refreshing to have a club not throwing away money that they don't have in the hope of an unlikely/difficult promotion. At least with the current financial setup we are managing to secure the right type of players who want to prove themselves and is more about playing at the highest standard possible, rather than for who will pay the highest wages. I am hopeful that we can avoid relegation, have some great fixtures for the new season to attend in front of some decent crowds. So in a nutshell I am very excited about the upcoming seasons and hopeful we can secure some quality loan signings to make us competitive and give us a decent chance of winning, rather than a tonking. So I am trying my hardest to ignore the negativity and keeping that huge smile me and the family had on our faces back at Wembley in May :smiley:
    I think it's great to read a post that's so positive and a reminder that all we really want is to concentrate on all aspects of the club steadily improving, but with the playing side being by far the most important.  

I have to take issue with a couple of things, however.  You've said "at least with the current financial setup we are managing to secure the right type of players...".  Everything positive that's happened on the pitch since Lee Bowyer was given the gig is DESPITE the current financial set up, and not BECAUSE of it.  The owner is ruining our football club.  Whether that's deliberate or accidental; whether it's terminal or merely in serious danger; whether it's past the point of no return or it can still be brought back from the brink: we don't yet know.  But we can be certain that the longer the current owner retains control, the closer we are to complete oblivion.  The club will not exist in future unless the current owner sells.  He is part-way through a process that can only end with the full destruction of the club, unless he moves ownership on beforehand.  So, I totally agree that it's great we have signed some useful players.  But I can't agree that any credit should go to "the current financial setup", because that is precisely what is destroying the future of the club. 

And I can't agree with the phrase "better the devil you know".  We know the devil that owns the football club far better than we did when he calamitously bought the club.  My opinion: the current owner's continued tenure is not better than the alternative, where the alternative is the current owner not owning the club. He's the cancer, the death sentence, the malignancy, the malevolence, the venomous, vindictive, tawdry Grim Reaper who is hastening the end of our club.  

He. Has. To. Go. 

Everything else falls into place after that.  

I promise you the smile on the faces of your family and everyone else's will return, fuller, better and more often.  And it will be more permanent when the ageing fool is no longer casting his obnoxious shadow over the club.  When he and the infectious cadre of self-serving, dissembling hypocrites are gone, we can all smile the biggest smiles imaginable.  Because then, and only then, we'll have our Charlton back. 
    Brilliant post.
    Agree that it's a brilliant post BUT.

Imagine your neighbour from hell who has  the six kids that scream and shout 24/7 because their excluded from school most of the time, plus the two little ones who are always crying. 

Yes it's brilliant when they move But hold the celebrations untill you see who's going to take their place.

Is it  just a given that the next owners are going to be the Knights in shining armour ?

Ps. A different take on the house analogy.
  • Options
    1921, Charlton begin their league history with a 1-0 win against Exeter City in front of 13,000 fans at The Valley. Tommy Dowling scores the goal.
    @Redmidland is mascot and leads out the teams. 😜
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A while back there was talk of a two week gap before the Euro bidder was coming to London ... is that this week coming? 
    The flight was cancelled.
    Ah. Okay.
    Elfs is on a wind-up. My understanding was, end of this coming week.
    So Prague is saying the takeover will be done and dusted by 27 July 2019, locked on 100% FACT.  No ifs, no buts.

: - )
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Webby said:
    I have actually given up worrying about a takeover. Not sure any interested parties will be chucking millions about to push us up to the premiership anytime soon. Better the devil you know, Roland has been wearing huge loses and seemingly continuing to do so whilst agreeing a contract with the likes of Bowyer, Williams etc.  Almost refreshing to have a club not throwing away money that they don't have in the hope of an unlikely/difficult promotion. At least with the current financial setup we are managing to secure the right type of players who want to prove themselves and is more about playing at the highest standard possible, rather than for who will pay the highest wages. I am hopeful that we can avoid relegation, have some great fixtures for the new season to attend in front of some decent crowds. So in a nutshell I am very excited about the upcoming seasons and hopeful we can secure some quality loan signings to make us competitive and give us a decent chance of winning, rather than a tonking. So I am trying my hardest to ignore the negativity and keeping that huge smile me and the family had on our faces back at Wembley in May :smiley:
    I think it's great to read a post that's so positive and a reminder that all we really want is to concentrate on all aspects of the club steadily improving, but with the playing side being by far the most important.  

I have to take issue with a couple of things, however.  You've said "at least with the current financial setup we are managing to secure the right type of players...".  Everything positive that's happened on the pitch since Lee Bowyer was given the gig is DESPITE the current financial set up, and not BECAUSE of it.  The owner is ruining our football club.  Whether that's deliberate or accidental; whether it's terminal or merely in serious danger; whether it's past the point of no return or it can still be brought back from the brink: we don't yet know.  But we can be certain that the longer the current owner retains control, the closer we are to complete oblivion.  The club will not exist in future unless the current owner sells.  He is part-way through a process that can only end with the full destruction of the club, unless he moves ownership on beforehand.  So, I totally agree that it's great we have signed some useful players.  But I can't agree that any credit should go to "the current financial setup", because that is precisely what is destroying the future of the club. 

And I can't agree with the phrase "better the devil you know".  We know the devil that owns the football club far better than we did when he calamitously bought the club.  My opinion: the current owner's continued tenure is not better than the alternative, where the alternative is the current owner not owning the club. He's the cancer, the death sentence, the malignancy, the malevolence, the venomous, vindictive, tawdry Grim Reaper who is hastening the end of our club.  

He. Has. To. Go. 

Everything else falls into place after that.  

I promise you the smile on the faces of your family and everyone else's will return, fuller, better and more often.  And it will be more permanent when the ageing fool is no longer casting his obnoxious shadow over the club.  When he and the infectious cadre of self-serving, dissembling hypocrites are gone, we can all smile the biggest smiles imaginable.  Because then, and only then, we'll have our Charlton back. 
    Brilliant post.
    Agree that it's a brilliant post BUT.

Imagine your neighbour from hell who has  the six kids that scream and shout 24/7 because their excluded from school most of the time, plus the two little ones who are always crying. 

Yes it's brilliant when they move But hold the celebrations untill you see who's going to take their place.

Is it  just a given that the next owners are going to be the Knights in shining armour ?

Ps. A different take on the house analogy.
    All changes start with an end and end with a beginning. So in the case of the noisy neighbours and in the case of the Belgian Grim Reaper, their disappearance is to be celebrated as the status quo is intolerable.

If a doctor tells a patient she can cure him of cancer, that's a good thing. It's better for the patient to stay positive than to worry about Ebola.
  • Options
    #inPraguewetrust
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Buy the shirt only and get the lettering doe elsewhere.
    This.  All day.  

It's utterly ridiculous that you can't have the wording you want on the shirt you are buying for yourself.  So, please go ahead and buy it and get the letters put on by a company that knows how to treat its "customers". 
    It's not ridiculous.  The fella pays the wages of the people in the shop.
    It's ridiculous.  It's not Roland's shirt.  It's the shirt of whoever chooses to buy it and have those letters put on it.  

How can it possibly be regarded as anything other than ridiculous?  A ridiculous decision by a ridiculous man.  

Does he really think that banning that phrase from being bought, as a service, by customers will somehow sway their sentiment?  "Oh, I am not allowed to put "Roland out" on my shirt.  That makes sense. On reflection, I can see he's doing a great job".  

Does he really think that banning one fan from buying a shirt with those words will mean there won't be other fans sporting that phrase on their shirts?  

If "the fella" (by whom, I assume you mean the decrepit imbecile of an owner) pays the wages of the people in the shop out of the proceeds of the shop, then selling less stuff isn't going to help him to make those payments.  For a retailer to decide to sell less of the stuff their customers want can only be described as ridiculous. 
    Surely there must be guidelines on what the club shop are allowed to print on a shirt.

Would you concede that they are within their rights to not print swear words?
    Yes I would. But neither Roland nor Out are swear words. Yet.
    Shall we agree to differ?

If your position is that "Roland Out" is "swear words", then yes, let's differ. 
  • Options
    A while back there was talk of a two week gap before the Euro bidder was coming to London ... is that this week coming? 
    The flight was cancelled.
    Ah. Okay.
    Elfs is on a wind-up. My understanding was, end of this coming week.
    Any idea what stage are they’re at?
  • Options
    6.6m views

When we reached 6,666,666 views four buyers will appear riding four horses. Beware the pale rider.
    Clint Eastwood is buying us. 
    Fact.
    More likely to be Dirty Harry...
  • Options
    6.6m views

When we reached 6,666,666 views four buyers will appear riding four horses. Beware the pale rider.
    Clint Eastwood is buying us. 
    Fact.
    More likely to be Dirty Harry...
    Somebody had better warn Bowyer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    #inPraguewetrust
    In Douchatelet we trust to mess up.
  • Options

I was there
    Did they do the crossbar challenge at HT ?
  • Options

I was there

No we had a brass band at HT
  • Options

I was there

• Options
    It has gone very quiet, no one with any rumours, we can have a go at
  • Options
    It has gone very quiet, no one with any rumours, we can have a go at
    I’m holding my breathe waiting for Friday ... 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Just get them to print "Roland Gout" and then remove the G.
    Might get that anyway ! 
  • Options

I was there

You speak for yourself
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!