Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

If I buy a house for £18k, spend another £37k doing it up (so £55k in total) and then sell it for £20k have I made A. a £2k profit or B. a £35k loss.

If you say A then I have some magic beans I'd like to sell you.

You are right re the additional capital expenditure and any losses he's covered through financing - that is clearly an expense he will want to recover. The additional accrual of debt through 3% interest compounding can and likely will be wiped out to get a sale through though as it's unlikely anyone will pay the total figure. I expect Roland will keep the holding company that owns the debt and carry this forward as a loss to offset against his taxes elsewhere.

So that figure of £55m is probably inflated slightly - I don't know how much of the debt on the club comes from acquisition, expenditure and accrual of interest to guess the likely sale price net of interest accrural. Someone else might though!
  • Options
    So it's beans now ? Not poetry?

Maybe we can guess the next theme...i am going for unwanted Xmas gifts ...just given my collection of 8 unused scarves to the cancer research shop
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    lolwray said:

Maybe we can guess the next theme...i am going for unwanted Xmas gifts ...just given my collection of 8 unused scarves to the cancer research shop

It certainly won't be black and white just yet mate :wink:
  • Options
    For people arguing the club will still owe Staprix (some of) the debt on acquisition, that may be true. But remember that the debt in 2014 was also (mostly) to a holding company owned in the BVI and that was transferred to Staprix. That is, the debt to the spivs and their mates was transferred to RD by the sale.
  • Options

ozaddick said:

ozaddick said:

Relax people! I land back at Heathrow Monday morning with news from Australia.

Will you be at the Blackburn game next Saturday ?
    I will indeed FF! Are you going? It’ll be lovely to see you again.
    Indeed !

We're on the 10.30 out of Euston but may not be early enough for a drink before the match.

However, we don't leave Blackburn until 19.32 so maybe we could meet up for one or three after the game ...
    I'm on the same return train FF. I'll pm you.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

lolwray said:

It certainly won't be black and white just yet mate :wink:
    It could be magic protest beans.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

dickplumb said:

DOUCHER said:

If the price he paid for the club was simply to take on the 18m debt then he only needs a bid more than the difference between the current debt and the 18m to make a profit?

Dear me, I hope you are not an accountant.

In his defence (what am I doing defending DOUCHER?) I think he is saying that if the current debt is around £53m and the starting debt was around £18m then a bid of more than £35m would turn a profit for RD.

Which I think is correct, but I can't see how the club is worth more than the £35m while it is in League 1 making a loss.
    Precisely - if he paid nothing for the club but simply took on the debt then what I said is correct - if he paid money on top of taking the debt then its not correct but that is why it had a question mark at the end - Should have expected the silly comments from know it all dimwits I guess.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

dickplumb said:

DOUCHER said:

If the price he paid for the club was simply to take on the 18m debt then he only needs a bid more than the difference between the current debt and the 18m to make a profit?

Dear me, I hope you are not an accountant.

In his defence (what am I doing defending DOUCHER?) I think he is saying that if the current debt is around £53m and the starting debt was around £18m then a bid of more than £35m would turn a profit for RD.

Which I think is correct, but I can't see how the club is worth more than the £35m while it is in League 1 making a loss.
    Precisely - if he paid nothing for the club but simply took on the debt then what I said is correct - if he paid money on top of taking the debt then its not correct but that is why it had a question mark at the end - Should have expected the silly comments from know it all dimwits I guess.
    But the debt was owed to the previous owners wasn’t it. So it was an ‘asset’ for the previous owners. By taking over the debt I assume he essentially bought the debt at par from the previous owners meaning he had to give them the £18M of whatever it was but instead of extinguish the clubs debt completely he essentially mirrored the amount and made it owed to Starprix. Or Are you saying the previous owners literally wrote off their entire indebtedness and took a huge loss on their sale. In which case a Championship club was essentially given away and now RD wants to sell a LeagueOne club for millions? Seems odd to me.
  • Options
    I'm just saying that if the £18m debt remains and is passed on to the new owners, he would only need an offer of circa £35m to break even so anything higher would be a profit. Not that he will get that of course.
  • Options
    Do explain Henry...
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

He would also need to get back whatever he paid initially for the club, less any cash he might have taken out, as well and no one is going to pay anywhere near that amount. The man has destroyed value and clearly doesn't have a clue what he is doing.
  • Options
    Am I missing something? Roland takes on £18M debt. Ramps it up to £55M through stupidity. Then gets £37M for the club and therefore makes a profit because the new owner gives him £37M and takes on the debt of £18M? Surely then the new owner would have paid £55M?

Whatever, hope he's gone very soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even if your figures are correct Doucher - i.e. 53-35=18, It's not the same as you are including the £18m debt as an asset. It, clearly, is not as most football clubs never repay their debts.

If we use your example then if he walks away and leaves £100m, in the bank for the new owners, and extends the debt/loan to £153m he is also breaking even. Is that right?
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

Do explain Henry...

Oh no. That’s a mistake ;0)

I'm hoping he won't - the board doesn't need another tediostomy performed on it
  • Options
    He will of course arranged matters in such a manner that he gets tax relief on his losses - if the tax charge on his main company is anything to go by. But his investment in Charlton will have been a big failure on his part by any normal financial standards - which I am sure will hurt his ego if nothing else; hence the bitterness aimed at Charlton supporters.
  • Options
    If anyone wants to understand what is RD's real loss they need to follow the cash he has paid out less (on investments and loans) less any cash he is likely to receive from the sale. Believe me it will be a negative figure - otherwise we will have a gullible idiot as our new owner.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

Do explain Henry...

Oh no. That’s a mistake ;0)

I'm hoping he won't - the board doesn't need another tediostomy performed on it
    Is that like a colonoscopy, Douchie ?

Wouldn't wish that on my worst enema....

...except maybe Daisy & Roly.
  • Options
    I think the point that was being made (maybe I misunderstood) is that the debt is repayable at a future point in time (if we get to premier league) therefore no cash is required at purchase stage just consent to leave it on the balance sheet.

The consideration the new owners would be the cash payment

As I understood it on purchase RD acquired the existing debt and funds operating costs at £1m per month say for 36 months. (Crudely ignoring the loan backs and intra company lending)

So if he could get new owners to pay him 36m (to recoup cash spent) and also take on the debt he inherited (and any further created since) then he would recoup any outlay as the initial debt never gets paid for but just passes through ownerships until the premier league is reached....on the gamble that the rewards would be worth that liability.

Having read further it doesn't seem that is necessarily the case.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!