Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• My conclusion is simply that our potential buyers whether they be UK, Aussie or AN Other aren’t prepared to do the deal unless we are promoted and don’t fancy the gamble of funding a League 1 club. Even if RD improves the deal /price maybe our suitors just don’t like the odds of securing promotion.

Maybe but if that is the case why were LDT and Jim White so confident that a deal was close this month?

Nothing makes sense because the owner is dishonest and irrational.

As ever he pushes all blame onto others and never accepts that it might be his price, his conditions and his mismanagement that have created this impasse.

In any case, running a promotion campaign in the championship will be a lot more expensive than in league 1.

• My conclusion is simply that our potential buyers whether they be UK, Aussie or AN Other aren’t prepared to do the deal unless we are promoted and don’t fancy the gamble of funding a League 1 club. Even if RD improves the deal /price maybe our suitors just don’t like the odds of securing promotion.

Maybe but if that is the case why were LDT and Jim White so confident that a deal was close this month?

As ever he pushes all blame onto others and never accepts that it might be his price, his conditions and his mismanagement that have created this impasse.

In any case, running a promotion campaign in the championship will be a lot more expensive than in league 1.

Maybe some of the investors (if it’s a consortium) still need persuading and promotion to the championship is what they need to believe is realistic. Reaching the play offs last year but not progressing may have caused some to waver and some may have cold feet now even if the financial package is broadly agreed.

Agree a promotion push is more expensive in the Championship but the likelihood of operating losses is greater in League 1 and an overall less attractive prospect if investors are taking a punt.
  • I’m feeling pretty negative about this sale happening any time soon. We need RD to lose an enormous amount of money in a very short space of time so that he actually needs to sell the club.
  • edited January 2019

My conclusion is simply that our potential buyers whether they be UK, Aussie or AN Other aren’t prepared to do the deal unless we are promoted and don’t fancy the gamble of funding a League 1 club. Even if RD improves the deal /price maybe our suitors just don’t like the odds of securing promotion.

Maybe some of the investors (if it’s a consortium) still need persuading and promotion to the championship is what they need to believe is realistic. Reaching the play offs last year but not progressing may have caused some to waver and some may have cold feet now even if the financial package is broadly agreed.

Agree a promotion push is more expensive in the Championship but the likelihood of operating losses is greater in League 1 and an overall less attractive prospect if investors are taking a punt.
    Still doesn't explain why the deal was thought to be so close in January and we were 4th or 5th. No certainty on promotion there.
    I'm still convinced it was BS to try and hustle along other bidders, I've not seen anything to persuade me otherwise.
    There are things which happened behind the scenes - such as detailed involvement in player recruitment - that would have no bearing on that.

Can’t understand the logic here. Charlton Athletic are a league one club. The Aussie Consortium knew that when they started their courtship and if they are / were wavering because of last years playoff failure and the fear of a repeat this year then I suggest they start looking at Championship clubs to buy and not a league one club.

• edited January 2019

My conclusion is simply that our potential buyers whether they be UK, Aussie or AN Other aren’t prepared to do the deal unless we are promoted and don’t fancy the gamble of funding a League 1 club. Even if RD improves the deal /price maybe our suitors just don’t like the odds of securing promotion.

Can’t understand the logic here. Charlton Athletic are a league one club. The Aussie Consortium knew that when they started their courtship and if they are / were wavering because of last years playoff failure and the fear of a repeat this year then I suggest they start looking at Championship clubs to buy and not a league one club.

They weren’t worried about not getting promotion last year, way before the playoffs.

So it’s not that folks.

Still doesn't explain why the deal was thought to be so close in January and we were 4th or 5th. No certainty on promotion there.
    I'm still convinced it was BS to try and hustle along other bidders, I've not seen anything to persuade me otherwise.
    There are things which happened behind the scenes - such as detailed involvement in player recruitment - that would have no bearing on that.
    I've seen nothing to suggest anything of the sort has happened, in the same way I've seen no proof (which you said you have) about potential buyers being jerked around with super inflated asking prices.

If what you say is true, why did the deal, once again, fall through?
  • Sponsored links:

I've seen nothing to suggest anything of the sort has happened, in the same way I've seen no proof (which you said you have) about potential buyers being jerked around with super inflated asking prices.

Has it fallen through?

I think it is stuck at the same blockage as it always has been - the price.

They are now and have been previously numerous potential buyers. IMHO it is more likely that the problem is with the seller than that every single buyer doesn't have the money.

You’ve seen no evidence of anything, including anything the club has said, except perhaps the Aussies sitting in the directors box, so stating you don’t believe this or that on that basis is selective.

I am aware from three different sources that the would-be buyers discussed, both with Bowyer and others, details of the club’s January transfer activity.

A meeting was cancelled in December because De Turck advised on the day that it was now pointless unless the new interested party was willing to pay more than £70m because they had that deal.

Of course you can choose to believe or disbelieve that as you wish, but I am satisfied those things are true.

Has it fallen through?

They are now and have been previously numerous potential buyers. IMHO it is more likely that the problem is with the seller than that every single buyer doesn't have the money.
    Surely the price has not been kept a secret if it was such a huge blockage, why would people get involved in the first place?

You’ve seen no evidence of anything, including anything the club has said, except perhaps the Aussies sitting in the directors box, so stating you don’t believe this or that on that basis is selective.

I am aware from three different sources that the would-be buyers discussed, both with Bowyer and others, details of the club’s January transfer activity.

A meeting was cancelled in December because De Turck advised on the day that it was now pointless unless the new interested party was willing to pay more than £70m because they had that deal.

Of course you can choose to believe or disbelieve that as you wish, but I am satisfied those things are true.
    Your sources have been wrong before though, haven't they?
  • No-one would pay £70 million for a league one club. That doesn't makevsense...
  • Charlton Athletic supporters aren't spiritual people so they invented "the sale of Charlton" thread to give them some idea of eternity.

Has it fallen through?

Surely the price has not been kept a secret if it was such a huge blockage, why would people get involved in the first place?

They get involved because they want to buy the club. Some have walked away when they have heard the price.

Others have tried to move the price.

Even LDT said the price is different for different groups.

But no one has paid it.

So I say again, either all the buyers have no money/some other issue or the problem is with the seller.

But because something or someone isn't 100% accurate that doesn't mean the whole story is smoke and mirrors.

I can quite believe that hthe club leak news to chivy up other parties but to do that there has to be at least one party.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rudders22 said:

No-one would pay £70 million for a league one club. That doesn't makevsense...

Does Roland make sense?

• unless the new interested party was willing to pay more than £70m because they had that deal.

Absolutely trust what you say AB but surely someone is pulling Roland's plonker :smile:
  • Rudders22 said:

No-one would pay £70 million for a league one club. That doesn't makevsense...

Quite - but it stil happened.
  • edited January 2019

Different people, but in any event these are two things that have happened, rather than reports about what is about happen. The future can always change, which is why for example stories about ongoing transfer activity are unreliable.

I once ran a story on the back of the Mercury saying that Charlton were signing two players - Barness and Kinsella - subject to agreeing personal terms. The source was Alan Curbishley. By the time the paper came out the Kinsella deal had collapsed, not through personal terms but because the clubs had fallen out. The source was unimpeachable and the story confirmed by Curbs in good faith but it was wrong because it had been overtaken by events.

The point is that cannot occur where things being reported have already happened. Describing the future is much more hazardous.

See also multiple transfer predictions by Richard Murray as chairman over many years - we’ll do our business early, five players coming in, etc. Ditto the club being sold in February 2018.
    The bottom line is people post what they are told, and you can’t expect either that they are going to reveal their sources for obvious reason (yes I messed that one up!), or that everything will turn out to be 100% correct.

But it is posted in good faith.

I’m grateful that they do it, whoever they are.
  • If 70 million is the asking price allowing for inflation we will be worth 70 million in about 50 years time.
    I'm going for February 2068 when Shitweasel sells up.

Of course you can choose to believe or disbelieve that as you wish, but I am satisfied those things are true
    Begs the question, why hasn't it be done
  • I feel 100% it is not going to happen... However could they be waiting for the transfer window to close (so Bow gets his players in first and not at inflated prices) and then its done??
  • Rudders22 said:

I feel 100% it is not going to happen... However could they be waiting for the transfer window to close (so Bow gets his players in first and not at inflated prices) and then its done??

Think this is a valid point along with waiting to announce that we've just got £1.5m - £2m for Grant. I guess it's possible that the club could have actually been sold and isn't being announced for this reason.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!