Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

I think the pattern will repeat itself and we will sell players in January. More alarmingly are the number out of contract at the end of the season and we will probably start next pre season with about eight first team players as we scramble to assemble some semblance of a squad.

There is no evidence that there will be a mass exodus in January. There was an offer on the table for BFG all summer, he didn't take it. That doesn't sound like asset stripping to me.

At present it costs about £500,000 a week to keep the club running. Revenue is way down due to boycotting, apathy and people spending the minimum, that's both bums on seats and any form of sponsorship.

Yet people complain that he isn't investing his own money, which has zero chance of getting back, while taking great pride in not spending any of their own money. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

In short we want him to make a "charitable donation" of circa £12 million a year and then moan its not enough and protest about it?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Oxford commentators on iFollow suggested Taylor wouldn’t be with us much longer......cheeky fuckers!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Croydon said:

Aussies can fuck off anyway, if they were serious they would have made it happen by now.

Could say if Roland is serious about selling he’d have sold by now. We’ve been up for sale for a long time now, why hasn’t anyone bought us?
    I would suggest that Roland isn't as desperate to sell as we all believed/hoped he was.
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

seth plum said:

I think the pattern will repeat itself and we will sell players in January. More alarmingly are the number out of contract at the end of the season and we will probably start next pre season with about eight first team players as we scramble to assemble some semblance of a squad.

There is no evidence that there will be a mass exodus in January. There was an offer on the table for BFG all summer, he didn't take it. That doesn't sound like asset stripping to me.

At present it costs about £500,000 a week to keep the club running. Revenue is way down due to boycotting, apathy and people spending the minimum, that's both bums on seats and any form of sponsorship.

Yet people complain that he isn't investing his own money, which has zero chance of getting back, while taking great pride in not spending any of their own money. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

In short we want him to make a "charitable donation" of circa £12 million a year and then moan its not enough and protest about it?
    You say in short we want him to make a charitable donation of £12 A year.

If he was to lower the asking price he could sell the club and save himself this amount.
    If he remains in charge for say another two years that would mean another £24 million.
    Why not just accept a lower price and go.
    Why does a sociopath do anything?
  • Options

Oxford commentators on iFollow suggested Taylor wouldn’t be with us much longer......cheeky fuckers!

The way he is playing then other clubs could be interested
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

seth plum said:

£500,000 a week? Operating loss of £26m a year?

If revenue is 0, yeah, but it's not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018

Cafc43v3r said:

seth plum said:

If revenue is 0, yeah, but it's not.
    Fair point but the club’s problem still isn’t revenue being withheld by protesting fans.

Remember too that on the club’s own figures he’s just spent £1.8m on facilities for Footscray Rugby Club and the community scheme which AFAIK for the most part still aren’t being used. They are not even part of the core business, or - except the CACT building - on land controlled by the club.
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

seth plum said:

Regardless, the effect of boycotts, etc, on revenue is not that significant and would be very hard to isolate from non-attendance due to L1 or people who have simply given up supporting Charlton. The club is not entitled to any of that revenue.

A further cause of reduced revenue is that the average season ticket price has fallen, which was a decision made by the club.

Even if 4,000 extra paying home fans attended every L1 home game buying match tickets the net revenue uplift is unlikely to reach £1.5m over the season. That is not a game changer.
    I said cost not loss.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

seth plum said:

Either run the club properly and your losses would be reduced, accept that having a club with a 27k capacity stadium in tier 3 (where he effectively put us) will loose money or just sell up and not at a ridiculous price
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

seth plum said:

He gets Taylor in on a free, and then sells in January for £400,000 that will offset some of his losses.
  • Options
    To many people to quote.

@Airman Brown the 1.5 million isn't a game changer in its self but doesn't increased attendance have a direct impact on potential advertising revenue? I also mentioned loss of corporate/sponsorship due to individuals and companies boycotting them. I know boycotting isn't the only reason for drop in attendance, I don't go as much due to apathy.

@JohnnyH2 I am not doubting it's his fault we are in league 1 and have been for 2 seasons already. But how would running the club properly increase revenue by £12 million a year?

@seth plum you seem convinced that there will be multiple player sales in January, what evidence do you base this on?

At the end of the day someone has to pay the piper. I would suggest that is the outrageous operations costs that are more of an issue than any asking price. We aren't in a situation were a rich fan, like RA could buy us, and have a whip round in the directors box to make up the wages.

Unless either RD or any new owner slashes the running costs any potential buy would be looking at £200-300 million pound investment to even hope of getting there money back. Even then its still unlikely.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

To many people to quote.

@Airman Brown the 1.5 million isn't a game changer in its self but doesn't increased attendance have a direct impact on potential advertising revenue? I also mentioned loss of corporate/sponsorship due to individuals and companies boycotting them. I know boycotting isn't the only reason for drop in attendance, I don't go as much due to apathy.

@JohnnyH2 I am not doubting it's his fault we are in league 1 and have been for 2 seasons already. But how would running the club properly increase revenue by £12 million a year?

@seth plum you seem convinced that there will be multiple player sales in January, what evidence do you base this on?

At the end of the day someone has to pay the piper. I would suggest that is the outrageous operations costs that are more of an issue than any asking price. We aren't in a situation were a rich fan, like RA could buy us, and have a whip round in the directors box to make up the wages.

Unless either RD or any new owner slashes the running costs any potential buy would be looking at £200-300 million pound investment to even hope of getting there money back. Even then its still unlikely.

Revenue would increase if he had/does run the club properly as many people would still go. This season alone he has come up with daft measures to restrict spending whilst we have no day to day leadership and only appointed Bow as Manager several games into the season.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Cafc43v3r said:

To many people to quote.

There’s no evidence of much fall-off in commercial income in recent seasons, which is only £1.4m in total. Charlton perform very poorly in this area relative to many other clubs although I think the reasons are largely geographical and beyond the club’s control. Millwall historically do even worse. And remember this is income, not profit. Club specific advertising - as opposed to central deals - is tiny. The commercial uplift from 4K extra home fans would be trivial next to ticket receipts.
  • Options
    Is it possible that the Aussie consortium is still trying to buy the club, but that the reason for the delays is Muir deciding not to get involved? After all we've been told they'd had issues with member of the consortium exiting it for whatever reason, but didn't think that he would be one of them.
  • Options
    Just as Roland was going to have to lower his price, Jimmy spills the beans!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bizarre but that is why it is always best to wait until it is on the official site.

Still, Living in a Truck told us only a few weeks ago that the Aussies, now with others, were still in so must be true.

And even if the Aussie consortium has collapsed then all the other parties can just close a deal very soon.

All through this saga the one common factor with all the parties looking and/or bidding but not closing a deal is Duchatelet. When he realises that it's him who's wrong over the price and not everyone else the club will be sold.

But as Roland lives in his own fantasy world and there is no one close to him to say "drop the price, it's too high" this is likely to drag on and on.

And that means little or no signings in January and possibly sales of any realisable assets followed by nearly all the squad being out of contract in the summer.

Depressing times.

It would be interesting to see Stu and Seth's comments on this.
  • Options
    It seems clear from @jamesseed's reply to a poster on his twitter account that he has not seen the article where Muir suggested that him being 'linked' to a bid for Charlton was 'erroneous':

"But was exactly did he say, and what was the context? I’ve just heard that he won’t say anything until the deal is done. If and when".

I'm deliberately not on twitter but it might be useful for someone who is to forward airman's tweet to him - as he might just be able to get some comment or clarification via Murphy?

• Options
    micks1950 said:

It seems clear from @jamesseed's reply to a poster on his twitter account that he has not seen the article where Muir suggested that him being 'linked' to a bid for Charlton was 'erroneous':

"But was exactly did he say, and what was the context? I’ve just heard that he won’t say anything until the deal is done. If and when".

I'm deliberately not on twitter but it might be useful for someone who is to forward airman's tweet to him - as he might just be able to get some comment or clarification via Murphy?

I think it is pretty clear he had seen the article and that was what that promoted his enquiry to his contact within the consortium.

We can all choose to believe or not believe what the contact is telling Jim but I don't doubt that this is what Jim was told.

WIOTOS
  • Options

micks1950 said:

I think it is pretty clear he had seen the article and that was what that promoted his enquiry to his contact within the consortium.

We can all choose to believe or not believe what the contact is telling Jim but I don't doubt that this is what Jim was told.

WIOTOS
    Why does he think that Muir said what he did then ?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

micks1950 said:

WIOTOS
    I don't know, am I my brother's keeper?

He's asked the question and he's published the response and that's it as far as I can see.

WIOTOS
  • Options
    *what
  • Options

micks1950 said:

WIOTOS
    I'm not convinced he has seen the article - or at least failed to read it properly.

He says in his first tweet:

"Just wanted to confirm that the Aussie consortium has not folded, and Andrew Muir still a part of it, in the background. Reason for lack of comms is still the NDA. Ignore the rumours.

and then in reply to the question:

"Just because you have an NDA doesn't force you to outright deny a claim, like he did in the papers. He could have just said no comment. It's not really a rumour when it's come out of his mouth"

@jamesseed says:

• Options
    *what
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!