Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Can’t imagine any official announcement now until Monday. It’s past 16:00 and not a lot of paperwork gets done after four on a Friday afternoon. 
    That all depends if they've got a public sector or private sector approach to work 

;)
    Quite - I'm still working and it's gone 5.30!
    Me an all. All be it parked at suppliers waiting for some bits. Hour drive home, then sort stuff out for the morning. 

All while the rest of France goes on strike, apparently
    Well, when I say working, Rob, what I really mean is having a cup of tea, checking Charlton Life, and waiting for the traffic outside to die down. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Can’t imagine any official announcement now until Monday. It’s past 16:00 and not a lot of paperwork gets done after four on a Friday afternoon. 
    That all depends if they've got a public sector or private sector approach to work 

;)
    So am I.

Which part of the Civil Service do you work in?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I was hoping it would be settled by this weekend as I am off to Goa early Monday and I am not sure if I will get any news out there
    PM me your mobile number and I'll text you.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    bobmunro said:

;)
    So am I.

Which part of the Civil Service do you work in?
    DCMS.

Well they certainly take up far more of my time than is reasonable!
  • Options
    Let's face it. If it takes the EFL as long to sort out their sheikhs from their excellency's as it did us, then this is going to be a long wait!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ross1 said:
    I was hoping it would be settled by this weekend as I am off to Goa early Monday and I am not sure if I will get any news out there
    PM me your mobile number and I'll text you.
    Thank you, but I would not expect anyone to pay charges to there, I do not arrive until midnight Monday but will spend Tuesday trying to find a link. Once again, thank you. Just read the hotel details and free wi-fi
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Goa is fantastic. 
    Enjoy 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

;)
    Me an all. All be it parked at suppliers waiting for some bits. Hour drive home, then sort stuff out for the morning. 

All while the rest of France goes on strike, apparently
    Buying wine in bulk and deciding which bottles you're going to drink tomorrow doesn't count...

😉
  • Options
    Let's face it. If it takes the EFL as long to sort out their sheikhs from their excellency's as it did us, then this is going to be a long wait!
    Ahem... just you and a few laggards Carly. Me and Grapevine had no such issues
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Lee Amis is on here, and he is a current visitor. 

I met him once, I think around the the time the Spivs took over. Deffo a Charlton fan. 

He said one thing to me that I didn't like the sound of "Every bid will be a property play".

Having said that he is (or was) a property guy himself. And every property guy I have ever met seems to have the attitude that monetising property is more important even than procreation.

But then again, if these guys are the real deal ( by which I mean competitive funding at Championship level for the next 2 years) and Lee brought them to the table, then we all owe him a pint. 
    Ive always believed that it would always be a possibility that any takeover would be subject to moving away from the Valley....we know the spivs wanted to, I think Duchatelet thought he could pull it off or if not redevelop the Valley as per St Trudien so Ive no reason to think the new mob being Investors would be thinking anything different. It was interesting watching Nimer being interviewed as most of what he said was about "green" investing and I took that to be agricultrally based, so how that fits with a SE London football club I dont know.

If these people have big plans for the club, the Valley being hemmed in on all sides will be problematic if they are thinking of what Arsenal and Spurs have done in recent years ( I wont lower the tone by mentioning what happened across the Thames). Im as emotionally attached as any true red blooded Charlton Fan to our home, the Valley.

However putting aside all emotion (and that is difficult in itself), the position of the Valley isnt great if you think of transport and infrastructure and going forwards relocating to somewhere with better transport links, adequate parking etc would make a lot of sense for a seriously wealthy and ambitious owner. It can be pain in the arse to park at Charlton, I think most of us have had a few break ins with cars etc and the rail service is pretty inadequate.

Its  our home and we fought hard to get it back, you being one of the leading lights in that fight, but maybe a new stadium would make sense......on a much smaller scale I was mega impressed with the location and facilities at Doncaster...yeah for sure the stadium itself was a bit souless, but you couldnt really fault the surrounds and links to motorways, parking, food etc.

Anyway, Im not advocating a move away, just playing devils advocate...I think we all need to realise that in todays modern progressive world it could be a possibility.
    Transport links poor.....???  The ground is less than 5 mins from the bloody railway station that takes you into the centre of London in 10 mins ffs.!!  Try going on Saturday to Middlesborough & see how close their stadium is to transport links & the city centre. Or Swansea/Derby/Leicester. All new grounds built away from the city centre & main transport links. NO thanks. Prefer our ground just where it is. May be a bugger to park but its historic. 
    @Golfaddick You should take a few seconds and read the post in context.  

Currently we are getting around 13,000 home fans on average? Add 2000 as an average aways.

So currently lets just say for arguement's sake we are getting 15,000...16,000.

In the context of my post I was saying clearly that if the new owners had ambition and wished to increase the Valley Capacity to the maximum which I think was muted as being around 40,000 then you still think Charlton station can cope? I dont think so and thats without talking about parking.......there are only so many trains you can run on the Charlton to London line and they aren't going to cope with another 20,000 + fans.

Its a long time since we were regularly getting 27,000 and even then getting a train was a pain in the proverbial, add in another 13,000 and.......we have the issues Brighton have at their local station.....

Yep I love the Valley, been going since 1964 myself, but Charlton and London has changed dramatically during that time and the place is hemmed in on all sides.

• Options
    TEL said:
    TEL said:

I met him once, I think around the the time the Spivs took over. Deffo a Charlton fan. 

He said one thing to me that I didn't like the sound of "Every bid will be a property play".

Having said that he is (or was) a property guy himself. And every property guy I have ever met seems to have the attitude that monetising property is more important even than procreation.

But then again, if these guys are the real deal ( by which I mean competitive funding at Championship level for the next 2 years) and Lee brought them to the table, then we all owe him a pint. 
    Ive always believed that it would always be a possibility that any takeover would be subject to moving away from the Valley....we know the spivs wanted to, I think Duchatelet thought he could pull it off or if not redevelop the Valley as per St Trudien so Ive no reason to think the new mob being Investors would be thinking anything different. It was interesting watching Nimer being interviewed as most of what he said was about "green" investing and I took that to be agricultrally based, so how that fits with a SE London football club I dont know.

If these people have big plans for the club, the Valley being hemmed in on all sides will be problematic if they are thinking of what Arsenal and Spurs have done in recent years ( I wont lower the tone by mentioning what happened across the Thames). Im as emotionally attached as any true red blooded Charlton Fan to our home, the Valley.

However putting aside all emotion (and that is difficult in itself), the position of the Valley isnt great if you think of transport and infrastructure and going forwards relocating to somewhere with better transport links, adequate parking etc would make a lot of sense for a seriously wealthy and ambitious owner. It can be pain in the arse to park at Charlton, I think most of us have had a few break ins with cars etc and the rail service is pretty inadequate.

Its  our home and we fought hard to get it back, you being one of the leading lights in that fight, but maybe a new stadium would make sense......on a much smaller scale I was mega impressed with the location and facilities at Doncaster...yeah for sure the stadium itself was a bit souless, but you couldnt really fault the surrounds and links to motorways, parking, food etc.

Anyway, Im not advocating a move away, just playing devils advocate...I think we all need to realise that in todays modern progressive world it could be a possibility.
    Transport links poor.....???  The ground is less than 5 mins from the bloody railway station that takes you into the centre of London in 10 mins ffs.!!  Try going on Saturday to Middlesborough & see how close their stadium is to transport links & the city centre. Or Swansea/Derby/Leicester. All new grounds built away from the city centre & main transport links. NO thanks. Prefer our ground just where it is. May be a bugger to park but its historic. 

Currently we are getting around 13,000 home fans on average? Add 2000 as an average aways.

In the context of my post I was saying clearly that if the new owners had ambition and wished to increase the Valley Capacity to the maximum which I think was muted as being around 40,000 then you still think Charlton station can cope? I dont think so and thats without talking about parking.......there are only so many trains you can run on the Charlton to London line and they aren't going to cope with another 20,000 + fans.

Its a long time since we were regularly getting 27,000 and even then getting a train was a pain in the proverbial, add in another 13,000 and.......we have the issues Brighton have at their local station.....

Yep I love the Valley, been going since 1964 myself, but Charlton and London has changed dramatically during that time and the place is hemmed in on all sides.

A good post.

I think a board would get away with moving us many fans nowadays probably were not going pre '85 and would not have the same thinking as older fans.

I'd still want to stay at The Valley regardless.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    I know it's likely to go through but I'm personally still not quite 100% convinced until it actually does all go through with official certainty.

Still a tad worried but it's pretty much just because I don't trust Roland at all and he always causes a dramatic awful suprise.

I know I'm wrong but can't wait for this to all officially go through.

99% certain that it will. Please hurry up.
    Del Boy had his doubts but then Rodney reminded him that it was the Greenwich Maratine Museum and Southey's they were dealing with.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    TEL said:

Tel: the reason why it’s a pain getting the train (it rhymes!) after the match is because there is no platform management as fans congregate by the entrance and not all spread out especially towards the front of the train. I must admit it doesn’t help when the number of carriages are reduce to 4 and then the need to run back down the platform but normally you get a seat at the front. 
  • Options
    7.3m
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Bored now.  Mum, are we nearly there yet?
  • Options
    TEL said:
    TEL said:

But then any stadium of a certain capacity will struggle to cope with people leaving. I'm struggling to think of a location that would have significantly better transport access, a location by the M25 might be easier for drivers from Kent and Sussex but a massive inconvenience for those relying on public transport from SE London

What we actually need is a more staggered exit after the match, so that more people stay at the ground or in the local area, but sadly the area around the ground is starting to become a bit of a pub desert.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have run a marathon, our legs are like jelly, we went down some cul de sacs, our eyes are blurry, we can see the finishing line, we stink of Fish, no more detours, new owners are within touching distance But a big Marshall with an EFL Viz jacket  is still in the way...

When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Nature comes to me (Athiest's version)
    Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
    And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me
    Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
  • Options
    But I’m right in saying Matt is not owner ?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Correct. David White meet the new owner. The one that bought Charlton from East Street Investments. 

Exciting times. 
    Eh? Confused.com
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Correct. David White meet the new owner. The one that bought Charlton from East Street Investments. 

Exciting times. 
    Eh? Confused.com
    David White met our chairman (hopefully). He isn’t our owner so White just got it slightly wrong. 
  • Options
    Correct he will be Chairman but we all know what White meant surely? 
  • Options
    Do we think Matt has a financial interest or is his role purely executive?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!