Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wine thread

Comments

• Options
    Patrick Piuze is my favorite Bourgogne Tonnerre producer. 

Talking of birthday’s I got a bottle of La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 2009 for my week before last. 
    Is that the 904? Amazing wine, so much to it. I have had a few 2005s and 2001s usually to go along Christmas dinner.  

I  imagine it's drinking really well now but could do with another couple of years to reach its full potential (if you have the discipline!).  
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Jints said:
    Chunes said:
    Jints said:
    Chunes said:
    Had a 2002 William Fevre Montee de Tonnerre the other night. Lovely. I really enjoy dry, mineral-y whites. Think I will explore Tonnerre some more.

Anyone tried the Clos Apalta? Had a glass a few weeks ago and it was stunning. Can see why it's a superstar. 

My usual go-to weeknight drinks are a rioja like the Vina Tondonia (classic) or Vina Ardanza, or for whites, I also love the Jordan Barrel-Fermented Chardonnay.
    We have similar tastes - William Fevre and Rioja Alta are among my favourite producers. You must have a bit more money to spend on wine than me though - an Ardanza (had a 2010 last week and was superb) or a Fevre is a once a week treats for me.
    The Fevre was at my birthday dinner so was definitely a treat. 

I meant Alberdi, not Ardanza! I do love an Ardanza but I'm definitely not cracking one open on a Tuesday night. 

Good to know we have similar tastes. What other producers are you into?
    Off the top of my head, Jossmeyer and Trimbach for Alsatian Riesling and Gewurz, Te Mata for Kiwi PN and SB, Muga for a more traditional style of Rioja (I also get CUNE and Villa Real sometimes but haven't really tried much Lopez de Hereida). Gaillard in Rhone is a regular buy en primeur. Burgundy and Bordeeaux are just stupid expensive these days but I do usually get a few half cases of Beaumont, Angludet and a few others in good years. About 90% of my wine buying is through the Wine Society - so I kinda restrict myself a bit.
    I have yet to venture into Riesling from that part of the world so those will be good starting points, cheers. I haven't tried Te Mata, either, I will. For SVs it's usually a Cloudy Bay or I have been enjoying some Chileans, the Montes Alpha, Lapostelle and the Outer Limits are really drinkable. 

@Chunes @Jints

The 2002 Fevre Tonnerre must have been a treat. I drink a fair bit of the 2015 and 2016 which is excellent. 

Viña Ardanza 2017 is superb. Have you guys tried any white Rioja’s? I’ve just come across them and my current go to is the La Bastid. 
    It was a memorable bottle, had a lot of structure for a chablis. Was an excellent recommendation by the sommelier. 

I haven't tried a white rioja yet but I've been tempted a few times. You might have just edged me into it. And thanks for the Piuze recommendation. Looks like I've got some wine to buy!

Are you into any US wines? Another region I haven't really explored yet.
  • Options
    Vina Ardanza's 2010 atm, and is a Seleccion Especial vintage.  The last I remember was 2001.  Well worth stocking up on as it'll keep for decades even in slightly sub-optimal condition:  I don't store it anywhere more special than under the stairs and have a 95 through to 2005 and any I've opened have drunk excellently and had plenty of life left in them:

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/vina-ardanza-seleccion-especial-reserva-2010-rioja

I don't have a wide experience with white Rioja, but rarely have drunk a bad one from the main Bodegas.  My go to has always been the Muga, but this current vintage seems a little lighter of body.  In recent years the Muga's just gone over a £10, but still worth it.  Of the more famous white Rioja Vina Tondonia's the one to try.  Like all their best wines they seem to last a long time.  It used to have been very reasonably priced but recently seems to have dramatically gone up in price.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Patrick Piuze is my favorite Bourgogne Tonnerre producer. 

Talking of birthday’s I got a bottle of La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 2009 for my week before last. 
    Is that the 904? Amazing wine, so much to it. I have had a few 2005s and 2001s usually to go along Christmas dinner.  

I  imagine it's drinking really well now but could do with another couple of years to reach its full potential (if you have the discipline!).  
    Yes the 904. It’s a really good price. The 16 is supposed to be awesome. Lovely drop. 
  • Options
    @Chunes. Yes, I am into US wines, mostly red blends. There’s some excellent choices. I’ve been fortunate to spend a fair bit of time in Napa. Has to be a bucket list holiday for a wine lover. 
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Vina Ardanza's 2010 atm, and is a Seleccion Especial vintage.  The last I remember was 2001.  Well worth stocking up on as it'll keep for decades even in slightly sub-optimal condition:  I don't store it anywhere more special than under the stairs and have a 95 through to 2005 and any I've opened have drunk excellently and had plenty of life left in them:

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/vina-ardanza-seleccion-especial-reserva-2010-rioja

I don't have a wide experience with white Rioja, but rarely have drunk a bad one from the main Bodegas.  My go to has always been the Muga, but this current vintage seems a little lighter of body.  In recent years the Muga's just gone over a £10, but still worth it.  Of the more famous white Rioja Vina Tondonia's the one to try.  Like all their best wines they seem to last a long time.  It used to have been very reasonably priced but recently seems to have dramatically gone up in price.
    The Muga’s are very good. I really like the Oliver Rivere’s but for a special occasion the Marquis de Caceres Gaudium is stunning. 
  • Options
    I wish to report a crushing disappointment. The 1999 Bolly. I opened it last night, of course. But it was well past its best. Lacked the bite and, actually, fizz, you expect from champagne. It was drinkable, and that is exactly what we did, but it was not the epic I had hoped for; and I know what it can be like as Cellar Tracker reminds me I bought two bottles and I drank the first in 2009, and raved about it.

So the lessons are:

1. If Cellar Tracker suggests to  you extravegant drinking windows (in this case 2011-2035) treat with suspicion.

2. Listen to @ColinTat. No more than 10 years even for vintage shampoo, he told us.

This means that I now have two bottles in my cellar urgently looking for a champagne Event. My wife hardly drinks more than a glass, she doesnt react well to it. So I guess the Event will be football related.... 
  • Options
    Shared a bottle of red last night, Hangin’ Snakes, a Barossa from Oz ... very good, will look out for it again. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Oh no!  Sorry to hear that Prague.  Thanks for the mention @PragueAddick, but I think it was @cafcfan who was more presient in his assessment.

I think @cafcfan's guidance was an excellent general rule on champers.  I'm a bit more blase about it and would have thought your '99 would have still been good, especially as it's a top level cuvee that lasts way better than other houses' top level.  I've got a 2007, which I must remember not to leave for too much longer.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Oh no!  Sorry to hear that Prague.  Thanks for the mention @PragueAddick, but I think it was @cafcfan who was more presient in his assessment.

I think @cafcfan's guidance was an excellent general rule on champers.  I'm a bit more blase about it and would have thought your '99 would have still been good, especially as it's a top level cuvee that lasts way better than other houses' top level.  I've got a 2007, which I must remember not to leave for too much longer.
    Goodness, you are right, shows how my memory is going, especially as I am a long time @cafcfan fan :-) Sorry, bud. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh, I am sorry about that @PragueAddick.  So disappointing.  Frankly I am a little surprised it was as degraded as you describe.  Such a shame.

As an aside, I think I have had more problems with more wine in the last year than I can ever remember. One corked; another still wine that was slightly sparkling (unintentional secondary fermentation?);  and a couple of bottles from a well-known and usually reliable vintners that were just disgusting.  I took a refund for them all.  I wonder whether some of this is Covid-related?  I know the said Vintner has most of its staff working from home and I wonder if there is a disconnect between them and the warehouse.
  • Options
    A friend introduced me and my partner to Albariño a while ago, and we’ve now tried a few when we see it on restaurant menus. I know a fair bit about beer, but less about wine; are there any recommendations for specific Albariños?

Also as a complete aside; any recommendations for UK vineyards with their own accommodation? 
  • Options
    A friend introduced me and my partner to Albariño a while ago, and we’ve now tried a few when we see it on restaurant menus. I know a fair bit about beer, but less about wine; are there any recommendations for specific Albariños?

Also as a complete aside; any recommendations for UK vineyards with their own accommodation? 
    Laithwaites have a number of Albarinos with good customer reviews.  (I have not tried them personally.)

Again I have not tasted the product but the Tinwood Estate in Sussex has some nice looking lodges.
  • Options
    I like Albarino but I've never picked up on a particular fave. A few suggestions here...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/may/24/all-about-albarino-spains-great-white-wine

In case you didn't already know, the Portugese also make good ones but call it Alvarino. You might also like Godello, also from Galicia - it has similar flavours but perhaps a bit less acidity. Gaba do Xil Godello  from the wine society is a favourite in our house. You might also try the dry Riesling which has a lot of similarities with Albarino in my view (and is probably my favourite white wine)
  • Options
    Jints said:
    I like Albarino but I've never picked up on a particular fave. A few suggestions here...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/may/24/all-about-albarino-spains-great-white-wine

In case you didn't already know, the Portugese also make good ones but call it Alvarino. You might also like Godello, also from Galicia - it has similar flavours but perhaps a bit less acidity. Gaba do Xil Godello  from the wine society is a favourite in our house. You might also try the dry Riesling which has a lot of similarities with Albarino in my view (and is probably my favourite white wine)
    Thanks, Jints. I might try that in my next WS order, though these are few and far between.
    I have a friend who travelled to Madrid a lot for work in her last job, and came back enthusing about Albarinho, but despite trying all kinds here, couldnt seem to find one that matched up to what she'd had in Spain. I've tried a fair few too, and though pleasant I dont find them particularly special.
    Agree with you on a decent dry Riesling though - can be lovely.

• Options
    Yep, thanks for this; will look for dry Rieslings too.
  • Options
    Chateau Talbot from St Julien is my favourite - stunning wine.

I tasted it on a wine tasting evening at Vinthec Compass in Greenwich.  It's the driving range up by Blackwall Tunnel entrance and the guys there are extremely knowledgeable.  If anyone fancies a taster session up there once the world is a little more back-to-normal it could be a good chance to taste some great stuff  but also learn a bit more about the good stuff.  I've done it a couple of times and it's a really really good evening and a good way to spend £25
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Chateau Talbot from St Julien is my favourite - stunning wine.

I tasted it on a wine tasting evening at Vinthec Compass in Greenwich.  It's the driving range up by Blackwall Tunnel entrance and the guys there are extremely knowledgeable.  If anyone fancies a taster session up there once the world is a little more back-to-normal it could be a good chance to taste some great stuff  but also learn a bit more about the good stuff.  I've done it a couple of times and it's a really really good evening and a good way to spend £25
    sounds good ... will have to remember that one
  • Options
    Those are all in bottle problems @cafacfan, not the vintner's fault unless they're year after year problems.  As long as they refund smoothly, something The Wine Society is excellent at:  Something you have to be wary of with fine wine merchants. 
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Those are all in bottle problems @cafacfan, not the vintner's fault unless they're year after year problems.  As long as they refund smoothly, something The Wine Society is excellent at:  Something you have to be wary of with fine wine merchants. 
    I had a couple of bottles of red this year that were slightly fizzy ... both were drinkable but tasted a little strange. Rest of the case was fine, but I received a refund on the lot, even though I told them it was not a problem.

Excellent service. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, one of the reasons why 80% of my wine buying if from the Wine Soc. Never any issues with refunds
  • Options

Very much recommend this one, especially when they do their occasional 25% off six deal

• Options
    Ohhhh I love an affordable Italian white.  Thanks IdleHans I'll give it a go.
  • Options
    Vineyards in Napa are burning up from wildfires Chateau Boswell has already gone with Reverie,Viader and David estates next in line of fire.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Ohhhh I love an affordable Italian white.  Thanks IdleHans I'll give it a go.
    Not to be confused with the Aldi version. It's like comparing apples and, well, shit apples.
  • Options
    @Killarahales

My favourite Albarino is Paco y Lola of you can find it.

http://pacolola.com/en/productos/
  • Options
    @Killarahales

My favourite Albarino is Paco y Lola of you can find it.

http://pacolola.com/en/productos/
    Thanks CA. Can get it in Sainsbury’s!!
  • Options
    I got to drink a Bolly and a champagne by Agrapart & Fils on Saturday (as you do, well we were celebrating), and I much preferred the Agrapart. Anyone tried it? 
  • Options
    I have a bottle of Bereche et fils champagne from 2008, a Lee Cooper branded bottle to celebrate their centenary, given to me when I worked there. Is it likely to be any good, and should I drink it very soon?
    It's a brut réserve. Although it was given to me in 2008, I'm pretty sure it's not vintage.
  • Options

Question – What’s the most you've ever paid for a bottle of red wine?£5- £10- £15 -£20 or maybe more. Ever wondered if anyone would ever pay £20,000. yes twenty thousand pounds!!

There I was last year on holiday passing one of the 52 wine shops in the small village of Saint Emilion France when I noticed a price list showing wine prices by unit.

The prices varied from a few hundred to 6000 euros / unit. Curious to find exactly what quantity of wine a unit was I entered the shop and was greeted by a nice, helpful, chap. “I’m interested to find how much wine is a unit” I asked.“1 unit is one bottle” he said smiling. “But one bottle is 6000 euros?” I said in amazement. He gestured to a glass case and pointing to a bottle said “that one is 20,000 euros!!” “20,000 euro’s that's nearly £20,000 pounds” I said in disbelief. “Yes its a rare bottle, difficult to find” he said. I thanked him and left his wine empire, making sure I did not knock over any of his expensive collection on my way out.

My wife calculated that equated to over £3000 per glass, enough to dive anyone to become teetotal.