Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barry Manilow has come out?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

Yeah this is old news. On the original CL thread, a lot of humour was found in his husband being called Gary, though I can't imagine why

Neither can I - especially as I was saddled with the nickname at school of "Gay Gary" at school back in the 70s. This wasn't helped by the fact that my surname also happens to rhyme with "sailor".

I still haven't come out though and must have, therefore, been living a lie - one current wife and one former one plus a child from both marriages and not a single male encounter to date - or should that be " single male to date"?

• Options

Even though I know a couple of his songs, I'm not a big fan of his, or music in general, so I am neither surprised nor proud of being able to say I already knew/suspected.

However I'm sure that his success would have been build, at some point, by female fans that would have liked him in a way that they might not have had they known. I'm not suggesting that anyone would have a problem with his sexuality, but even though millions of women around the world had no chance of ever being his lover they could have fantasised about it in a way that they wouldn't have done had they know that he didn't go for women.

Imagine trying to get millions of young girls to buy One Direction Albums and go to their concerts if they know that none of them even liked girls.

On this basis it must be a bigger news story than if he hadn't made millions and millions by selling records to women. He says, I read, that he was worried that if he'd come out before he was 73 he might have 'disappointed' fans. I can't help thinking that what he really means is that they mightn't have bought so many of his records.

Will Young does alright.
  • Options

Even though I know a couple of his songs, I'm not a big fan of his, or music in general, so I am neither surprised nor proud of being able to say I already knew/suspected.

However I'm sure that his success would have been build, at some point, by female fans that would have liked him in a way that they might not have had they known. I'm not suggesting that anyone would have a problem with his sexuality, but even though millions of women around the world had no chance of ever being his lover they could have fantasised about it in a way that they wouldn't have done had they know that he didn't go for women.

Imagine trying to get millions of young girls to buy One Direction Albums and go to their concerts if they know that none of them even liked girls.

On this basis it must be a bigger news story than if he hadn't made millions and millions by selling records to women. He says, I read, that he was worried that if he'd come out before he was 73 he might have 'disappointed' fans. I can't help thinking that what he really means is that they mightn't have bought so many of his records.

Will Young does alright.
    George Michaels sales didn't drop either
  • Options

Will Young does alright.
    Bit his trousers did
  • Options

Will Young does alright.
    Bit his trousers did
    But his trousers did i meant to say.
  • Options

Will Young does alright.
    Bit his trousers did
    Only to go to the toilet though.
  • Options

Will Young does alright.
    In all fairness he also failed to mention his sexuality before he won Pop Idol. Also George Michael was a massive star when he 'came out' - virtually all the girls in my school fancied the pants off him and bought all his records and used to put his posters on their walls. George Michael, I believe, only came out when he was arrested for 'Cottaging' - whatever that is!

Like it or not, there are (or were back in the 70s and 80s) people that would have not wanted to buy their records if they'd know they were gay. I don't approve of it, and it wouldn't have made a difference to me, but I suspect that many people are advised to keep things to themselves to increase their popularity and their sexuality is one of them.

Irrespective as to our views, that fact alone makes it news worthy when a 'straight' sex symbol announces that he is gay.
  • Options

Will Young does alright.
    That's just not true. I know there were other factors involved but his record sales before he came out dwarfed those after - this is especially true if you don't factor in the sales since his passing.
  • Options
    There's a difference between the likes of Mercury, Michael, Elton John, mannilow compared to younger artists.

With the former, at the time they were becoming famous, being openly gay was extremely unusual and in many countries illegal.

Now, there is much more greater acceptance of people not being criticised for their sexual preferences.

But music acts, comedy acts and acting in general involves developing a character whwre the character is not what you would see if you met the person as a friend.

If you want or need to act straight for your character, or act gay, people should realise it's a performance rather than a lie.

That's what I think anyway.