Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barry Manilow has come out?

I am truly shocked at this. I thought he was an openly gay celebrity for the last 40 years!

Comments

• Options
    This is old news
  • Options
    Only just popped up as breaking news on my CNN feed.
  • Options
    This came out a couple of years ago after he married his manager.

Shame he felt he had to keep it a secret.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I was about to say so what, then saw that you thought he'd been openly out the last 40 years.

Yeah no change really, not bothered either way!

Congratulations to him for finding the courage to come out though I have never understood people's need to say they're straight or gay or whatever.

It's got to be a really tough step to take regardless.
    Maybe it was made a lot tougher for him to if he felt he was firmly in the closet and undetected.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Yeah this is old news. On the original CL thread, a lot of humour was found in his husband being called Gary, though I can't imagine why
  • Options
    I love a bit of Barry, one of my guilty pleasures.
  • Options
    Ok. I missed the original thread. The breaking news apparently is that today is the first time he has discussed his sexuality publicly.
  • Options
    I didn't realize he'd even been in
  • Options
    O.M.G.
  • Options

So do I, but the cover he did of Del Trotter's "One Voice" dropped him down in my estimation. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Only just popped up as breaking news on my CNN feed.

He's been married to a bloke for 2 years so would be a pretty big surprise if he wasn't gay really.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Erasure are probably my biggest guilty pleasure. That and ancient aliens.

Not at the same time of course. I won't have Tsoukalos and Von Daniken talking over oh l'amour
  • Options
    Well i'll go to the bottom of my stairs, big butch Bazzer, gay?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Not at the same time of course. I won't have Tsoukalos and Von Daniken talking over oh l'amour
    Watch out, you'll be besieged by Scientologists, eager to expand your, ahem, guilty pleasures...

And then you'll be demanding to see Battlefield Earth on the away coaches.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Coming out is good I guess.

Beats what I thought about him.... that he was dead all this time.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Watch out, you'll be besieged by Scientologists, eager to expand your, ahem, guilty pleasures...

And then you'll be demanding to see Battlefield Earth on the away coaches.
    Or listen to Pop, the first 20 hits by erasure
  • Options

I love a bit of Barry,

Euphemism?
  • Options

Good thread

Were you Garry Manilow before Garry Manilow was Mr Barry Manilow?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love Bazza

Swayed to my lighter flame as he sung One Voice at Wembley 30 years ago with my Mum.
  • Options

Love Bazza

Swayed to my lighter flame as he sung One Voice at Wembley 30 years ago with my Mum.

Didn't realise we were soul sisters as well as drinking pals, A !
  • Options

Good thread

Were you Garry Manilow before Garry Manilow was Mr Barry Manilow?
    I was. I think I might be a wizard predicting this actually, my name's not even Garry.
  • Options

You'll be telling us George Cole has passed away next.

We would have heard if he had, someone would have put it up on here.
  • Options
    This has got me thinking...........I wonder if Louis Spence is the same way inclined............
  • Options
    Oh
  • Options
    Even though I know a couple of his songs, I'm not a big fan of his, or music in general, so I am neither surprised nor proud of being able to say I already knew/suspected.

However I'm sure that his success would have been build, at some point, by female fans that would have liked him in a way that they might not have had they known. I'm not suggesting that anyone would have a problem with his sexuality, but even though millions of women around the world had no chance of ever being his lover they could have fantasised about it in a way that they wouldn't have done had they know that he didn't go for women.

Imagine trying to get millions of young girls to buy One Direction Albums and go to their concerts if they know that none of them even liked girls.

On this basis it must be a bigger news story than if he hadn't made millions and millions by selling records to women. He says, I read, that he was worried that if he'd come out before he was 73 he might have 'disappointed' fans. I can't help thinking that what he really means is that they mightn't have bought so many of his records.