Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Walsall - Post Match Views

1235»

Comments

• Options

Nathan Etheridge, how many corners did he collect? Reminded me of a former Wolves goalie, Mick Stowell who was the king of collecting corners. One of our corners went to about level with the penalty spot and Stowell still collected it. If we had put the corner towards our own goal line Stowell would have even attempted to collect that if the rules had allowed him and then thrown it in to score for Wolves.

Majority were straight down his throat holmes corner 1st half especially were woeful
  • Options
    Rudd unremarkable, no bad thing for a goalie
    Byrne a square peg in a round hole and a defensive liability as a result
    Teixeira takes at least 20 minutes to get into the game but he's ok when instinct and experience overcome his lethargy
    Konsa distribution is ropey and he was shown up significantly by his deputy
    Page nowhere nearly good enough, not even conference south standard, not fit to lace Chicksen's boots
    Crofts King Canute in the original formation decent after the enforced changes
    Ulvestad a revelation at centre half must be a shoo in for Tuesday night (with KR still in post I'm not holding my breath)
    Aribo game passed him by almost entirely without contribution bar the goalline clearance
    Chicksen patently the current first choice left back to all eyes other than the fat scouse gobshite's obviously
    Holmes put in another big shift but much quality lacking
    Watt fish out of water in KR's initial idiotic lineup, knackered by the time of the enforced changes but finished with aplomb
    Jackson lots of effort and useful organisation but always a yard or 2 short of where he needs to be, sadly
    Novak makes the most of his limited resources, his omission in light of Magennis's absence was the work of a deranged mind
    Robinson yet another in his litany of utterly fuckwitted failures - when a side is unrecognisably better after 2 injuries with more players moving into unfamiliar areas there can be no argument that the coach/manager/whatever is not fit for purpose.
  • Options

Watt fish out of water in KR's initial idiotic lineup, knackered by the time of the enforced changes but finished with aplomb
    Jackson lots of effort and useful organisation but always a yard or 2 short of where he needs to be, sadly
    Novak makes the most of his limited resources, his omission in light of Magennis's absence was the work of a deranged mind
    Robinson yet another in his litany of utterly fuckwitted failures - when a side is unrecognisably better after 2 injuries with more players moving into unfamiliar areas there can be no argument that the coach/manager/whatever is not fit for purpose.

It is with trepidation I point out that Novak didn't start because he finished the last game with double calf cramp.

(I think I got away with it??)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

It is with trepidation I point out that Novak didn't start because he finished the last game with double calf cramp.

(I think I got away with it??)
    Almost: )
  • Options

Nathan Etheridge, how many corners did he collect? Reminded me of a former Wolves goalie, Mick Stowell who was the king of collecting corners. One of our corners went to about level with the penalty spot and Stowell still collected it. If we had put the corner towards our own goal line Stowell would have even attempted to collect that if the rules had allowed him and then thrown it in to score for Wolves.

Neil Etheridge as in the keeper we had on loan for a few months in the Championship!
  • Options

Rudd unremarkable, no bad thing for a goalie
    Byrne a square peg in a round hole and a defensive liability as a result
    Teixeira takes at least 20 minutes to get into the game but he's ok when instinct and experience overcome his lethargy
    Konsa distribution is ropey and he was shown up significantly by his deputy
    Page nowhere nearly good enough, not even conference south standard, not fit to lace Chicksen's boots
    Crofts King Canute in the original formation decent after the enforced changes
    Ulvestad a revelation at centre half must be a shoo in for Tuesday night (with KR still in post I'm not holding my breath)
    Aribo game passed him by almost entirely without contribution bar the goalline clearance
    Chicksen patently the current first choice left back to all eyes other than the fat scouse gobshite's obviously
    Holmes put in another big shift but much quality lacking

Byrne was a right back for Swindon and wing back!
  • Options
    Incidentally, Franck Moussa was an unused sub for Walsall
  • Options
    I couldn't make it on Saturday but have just read the match report on the OS by the respected and experienced football journalist Tom Rubashow.

Overlooking the grammatical error in the headline, it's a fine objective piece, as can be judged from the opening summary:

"Tony Watt's equaliser secure a point for the Addicks at The Valley

Tom Rubashow reports from The Valley

Tony Watt made it two goals in as many games as Charlton came back from behind to draw 1-1 with Walsall.

After a sluggish start, Charlton had looked the more likely until Simeon Jackson gave the away side the lead just before the half-time whistle. After Watt’s goal, the Addicks took control but Neil Etheridge in the Walsall goal was able to keep the home side at bay."

I think you miserable lot must have been watching a different game...!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I wonder if KR will give Ulvestad another run out at CB, would be good to see him for 90 minutes in that position, looked good on Saturday, but accept it was only for part of the game.
  • Options

I wonder if KR will give Ulvestad another run out at CB, would be good to see him for 90 minutes in that position, looked good on Saturday, but accept it was only for part of the game.

Ulvestad's performance at CB was the only good thing from Saturday so KR will presumably never use him there again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After a long absence due to my own mini protest I attended Scunthorpe and Walsall games. In patches we played quite well and in Chicksen, Holmes, Ulvestaad, Byrne and Watt we have some good quality players. I am not sure about Crofts or Aribo. The latter seemingly letting the game go past him. I think he needs more coaching and a spell out of the first team. He is young and will improve. Crofts has played nearly every game but his reading of the game is poor as is his distribution. The rest just seem journeymen other than Jackson who sadly is coming to the end of his career but still Charlton through and through.
    The one thing that is evident though is that The Valley has lost its soul. There is no atmosphere and a resignation towards failure and decline. There does not appear to be the friendly banter we used to have every game.
    The attendances are definitely lower than those figures published and if things do not improve it will be difficult to get the fans back.
    My next game will probably be the last game of the season. Perhaps by then the rumours of the sale of the club will become a reality. If not a massive protest should be organised but I really cannot see the numbers being mustered to make an effective protest.
    In well over 40 years as a supporter and a long time season ticket holder this is the first time I can say that going to the Valley is not only depressing but difficult to justify the long journey I used to think nothing of doing home and away.
  • Options
    Aribo is at a stage where he needs a short rest. He has done very well and shown what he is capapble of, but he is young and it has been evident that he has been going a bit stale of late. That shouldn't be a problem, but he does need a rest!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Aribo is at a stage where he needs a short rest. He has done very well and shown what he is capapble of, but he is young and it has been evident that he has been going a bit stale of late. That shouldn't be a problem, but he does need a rest!

You are probably 100% correct, but very difficult to rest anyone right now. Quite aside from any perceived flaws in squad depth/balance, we do have a ridiculous injury list at the moment and I am genuinely struggling to remember the last game that we got through 90 mins without having to sub a player for injury. Playing players that need to rest is unlikely to ease the fitness issues, but, at the same time, KR is running out of options. We are in 'Arry bare-bones territory.

Perhaps the diamond might work again with Ironwilly at the base, Crofts & Jacko in the middle and Holmes at the point. It would be a way to at least let Aribo start from the bench, but it'd mean relying on a debutante to fill the holding role in front of a makeshift defence. Far from ideal, and probably a nonstarter if Novak isn't fit to start.