Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Walsall - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Nicholas said:

Shit game shit performance. Their number 10 looked good. That's about it.

Not sure if he would pass the CL height test.
  • Options
    Imagine if two years ago someone had said we'd be greeting a 1-1 home draw with Walsall in League 1 as a decent result which should mean we stay up ...

Thanks Roland. Thanks Daisy.
  • Options
    Oh well, on the plus side, I was able to watch England destroy Scotland at rugby in the Oak.
  • Options

All the hard work Powell done in league 1 has come to this. Today was the first time ever I wasn't glued to my phone refreshing Twitter feed or the match thread and listening to Charlton player to see what was going on.

Today was the first time I felt no emotion at all with Charlton. I'm feeling something I've never felt before and it feels awful. Just a complete loss of emotion.

It's all because @AdTheAddick that you are now collateral damage in the Meire/Duchatelet vision for Charlton Athletic. Your emotional attachment to the club is not wanted.

To be a new, model customer (fan) you must not hold onto tradition but must embrace the social benefits of attending matches with friends, preferably buying a meal and or hospitality package at the ground and be willing to dance after the game irrespective of the result. Given that the soul has been stripped out of the Club it is hardly surprising you feel as you do.

I 'watched' the game via the Final Score service on BBC but only tuned in on occasion and with no real
    sense of involvement after 55 years of watching and following. When Walsall scored I felt little but more worryingly, no great sense of joy went Watt scored.

You are not alone! What awaits and what is already happening at The Valley is described graphically by one fan who was at STVV v Eupen last week:

There is no passion from fans, completely lifeless. Behind the goal is where their more noisy fans sit. I reckon there were 4-500 of them at most and this number would have been swelled by 40/50 Charlton fans who joined them.

It really was so different from a UK football experience and one that I hope they will never replicate in the UK with us.

Worst bit? Just after half time in the concourse bar under the north stand at STVV. There were a couple of hundred of their fans still in the bar as the second half kicked off, no one rushing to go back out for the game, dance music still playing. STVV scored within a minute or so to go 2-0 up and not one of them cheered, nothing! They just carried on drinking and chatting while the music played. Roland's vision in all it's chilling, soulless glory! This will be our future if we don't fight tooth and nail to rid our club of Duchatelet.

It's amazing when someone like Roland who really couldn't give two Sh*ts about Charlton, is causing this much damage amongst fans, for me Charlton plays a big part of my life. So to have that emotion ripped away from me by people who really couldn't give a sh*t really is heartbreaking and is making me physically sick.

Just how bad will things get? Can I possibly feel any worse in years to come?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Completely forgot they had a player bearing down on Rudd, just about to shoot, and the ref blew up for half time. Can't think of another time a ref has done that and not allowed the shot before blowing up.

• Options
    Official attendance 9900 just 812 more than Tuesdays match.
  • Options

Completely forgot they had a player bearing down on Rudd, just about to shoot, and the ref blew up for half time. Can't think of another time a ref has done that and not allowed the shot before blowing up.

Barcelona V psg the other night something like that happened. Carvani for psg had just brought the ball down and was in on goal. Ref blew for full time making sure Barcas great comeback wouldn't be ruined.
  • Options
    Briston. Page's game improved after he was subbed off? He must have been really crap.
  • Options
    Thought Page did ok this time! Been ropey at times but sacrificed for a better formation rather than his own deficiencies. (I didn't see if he played Jackson onside for the goal though.)
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Ulvestad was the best CB we've had in 2 seasons today . Clever footballer who doesn't just hoof it like Tex. class

Be happier with Pearce back at CB, thought Konsa looks better at CM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe I've read this wrong but, listening to the game, I thought bringing Watt off near the end was a mistake and stopped any momentum we had. It seemed at that point we were pushing for the winner and Watt was a big part of that. Seeing as there were only a few minutes left I would have kept him on. Bringing KAG on seemed to make no impact whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    It is defensive, fatalistic, and suicidal to play only one striker at home.

Walsall swept wide, skinned our last defenders and could have been 3-0 up in the first 15 minutes.

We are improving, incrementally. Two months ago we shuffled sideways along the half-way line, terrified of our opponents. At an away game, Fanny nailed our midfield perfectly: “We jockey, standing five yards off...”

It's vital that Holmes sprints, rushes, blocks – scampers and snaps at heels. Good old Churchy knew that. They should admire Paul Williams – his intelligence, anticipation, acceleration – I saw Willo beat Man United under Ferguson, 2-0 at Sellout-Park.

Karl Robinson has urged Crofts and the rest to get stuck in – it's about bloody time. We were sprightly in the first half against Scunthorpe, yet collapsed after an hour. In the entire second half we didn't have a single shot on goal until the last-minute pen.

Tony Watt is a maverick: his oblique shot today was good. Unassuming: then a flash of fire. He needs a partner: coached like Kermorgant and Bradley Wright-Phillips. Or intuitive, like Killer and Flanagan.

We got in to great positions today, man with the ball on the wing: Covered End screaming: “Skin him!” Ball fired in to box. No-one there...

Yet that lumbering guy from Walsall missed an absolute sitter, and in the last minute, fizzing across our six-yard box, it needed only a toe.

It is defensive, fatal, and suicidal to play only one striker.

• Options
    We will never do anything with Gobinson as manager, Lazy Daisy as CEO and Rolly as owner.

There is no real teamwork in the club everybody for themselves and they are all bloody useless anyway.

No season tickets for my family next season, unless of course they go, sad but getting zero enjoyment watching this shit.

What is the point of running a sporting club but have zero sporting ambition, weird!
  • Options

Barcelona V psg the other night something like that happened. Carvani for psg had just brought the ball down and was in on goal. Ref blew for full time making sure Barcas great comeback wouldn't be ruined.
    PSG kicked off and lumped it forward, then he blew. Cavani was nowhere near goal
  • Options
    Also happened for Whitehawk in the FA Cup 1st Round this season... one of their players shot and as the ball was travelling the referee blew full time, the ball went into the net to make it 2-1 yet didnt count because the whistle had gone.

Whitehawk then went and lost the replay
  • Options
    Again in my opinion the result was down to the idiot who picks the eleven. From what I've seen under Robinson he has been a car crash bar last Tuesday.

4-4-2 on Tuesday got us a deserved 3 points so why go back to a 4-2-3-1. They should have been 3 up at half time. Common sense prevailed after 55 mins and it worked within 5 minutes.

4 wins in 18 League games now and 1 in the last ten.
  • Options
    I remember referee Clive Thomas blowing his whistle whilst the ball was in the air from a corner, a split second before it was in the back of the net - and this was during the World Cup finals. No goal given. Crass decision then, crass decision yesterday. But weren't we glad he did blow his whistle. Well done ref.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Someone said yesterday that the match was a bit meh. I was going to post a witty remark about changing Katriens name to Katrien Meh in honour of all she has achieved at the club.
    However, since then, the POTY has been cancelled due to Ms Meh and her petty spitefullness. I won't post my alternative name for the charmless Ms Meh to save the mods the bother of deleting it, but suffice to say calling that woman Meh is a terrible disrespect to all the average dull things that go on on a saturday afternoon,
  • Options

Ex pro I know who was there today (not a Charlton fan) said Watt is the laziest player he's ever seen

Was it that Paul Nuttals of the UKIPs? :lol:
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

cafc4life said:

Ulvestad was the best CB we've had in 2 seasons today . Clever footballer who doesn't just hoof it like Tex. class

Just hoofs it like the 4 cross field passes Tex pinged in todays match alone?

Talking out your arse springs to mind....
    Totally agree . . Tex was excellent yesterday - enjoy watching him while you can 'cos he's off in the summer no doubt. Anyway the first thing I want from a centre back is to be able to defend and clear his lines. Tex does that and more. Ulvestad did a good stand-in job but wouldn't be happy seeing him playing there permanently, but of course with our injuries he may well find himself starting there on Tuesday.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

After the "performance" in the first 45mins we were lucky to only be 1-0 down at HT.

WTF Robinson changed the formation is anyone's guess. Nearly back-fired spectacularly.

Created very few clear cut chances, yet another injury and another sub 7k crowd.

Pluses - goal for Watt, Chicksen and Ulvestad at CB. Not much else to say.

This, pretty much sums it all up for me.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Official attendance 9900 just 812 more than Tuesdays match.

9,000 my arse!!!
  • Options
    Rob said:

Maybe I've read this wrong but, listening to the game, I thought bringing Watt off near the end was a mistake and stopped any momentum we had. It seemed at that point we were pushing for the winner and Watt was a big part of that. Seeing as there were only a few minutes left I would have kept him on. Bringing KAG on seemed to make no impact whatsoever.

I disagree with most of KR's decisions. Watt looked like our only potential goal threat & he took him off.

Perhaps, to save him/save him getting injured as we have a game Tuesday.
  • Options

Rob said:

I disagree with most of KR's decisions. Watt looked like our only potential goal threat & he took him off.

Perhaps, to save him/save him getting injured as we have a game Tuesday.
    Or to give him the chance to get a standing ovation for actually scoring a goal in open play?

• Options
    addick05 said:

sam3110 said:

cafc4life said:

Just hoofs it like the 4 cross field passes Tex pinged in todays match alone?

Talking out your arse springs to mind....
    Totally agree . . Tex was excellent yesterday - enjoy watching him while you can 'cos he's off in the summer no doubt. Anyway the first thing I want from a centre back is to be able to defend and clear his lines. Tex does that and more. Ulvestad did a good stand-in job but wouldn't be happy seeing him playing there permanently, but of course with our injuries he may well find himself starting there on Tuesday.

I would, if he always played like that. He excelled there, but he's fairly mediocre in midfield unfortunately. I think he lacks the turn of speed you need, especially at a higher level.
    Agree Tex had a good game yesterday.
  • Options
    What is the point of visiting the valley when the addicks play a lone striker? Shame the idiots who venture forth can't be notified in advance thus giving you the option of doing something more productive on a Saturday afternoon like grass cutting or food shopping.
    Little doubt there'll be more of the same this Tuesday when the bantams roll up. Robbo desperate for another point thus defend against an outfit with 20+ more points.
  • Options
    Nathan Etheridge, how many corners did he collect? Reminded me of a former Wolves goalie, Mick Stowell who was the king of collecting corners. One of our corners went to about level with the penalty spot and Stowell still collected it. If we had put the corner towards our own goal line Stowell would have even attempted to collect that if the rules had allowed him and then thrown it in to score for Wolves.
  • Options
    As dullness eclipses life at The Valley , mid table obscurity is within our grasp

35% 7th-12th ......... 65%. 13th-20th