Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Using a mobile while driving

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Drivers have to stop doing this. Period. There are so many hands free devices available now that there is absolutely no excuse. I get the feeling that with some it's considered a macho thing to do. This is intolerable and the penalties need to reflect that.

No not a macho thing, women driving land rover turning left whilst holding phone in her palm and talking.

Still too lenient, 6 points and up to £5,000 .. more media campaigns .. so not just punishment but educational as well.
    The problem with ever increasing fines is they disproportionately punish the poor. £5000 to a premiership football is lose change, £5000 to me is a life ruining amount to have to pay out.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Drivers have to stop doing this. Period. There are so many hands free devices available now that there is absolutely no excuse. I get the feeling that with some it's considered a macho thing to do. This is intolerable and the penalties need to reflect that.

No not a macho thing, women driving land rover turning left whilst holding phone in her palm and talking.

Still too lenient, 6 points and up to £5,000 .. more media campaigns .. so not just punishment but educational as well.
    The problem with ever increasing fines is they disproportionately punish the poor. £5000 to a premiership football is lose change, £5000 to me is a life ruining amount to have to pay out.
    Well, it isn't really the problem and they don't. The publicised fines are always the maximums. Under the current tariff, If you take the fixed penalty, it's six points plus a mere £200. Only if the defendant goes to court to dispute the case (or the police thinks the matter deserves a trial, if there are other considerations) will the fine be higher. And then the magistrate or judge would take account of all sorts of factors when considering the fine, including the defendant's ability to pay. The new maximums are £1000 or £2,500 if the defendant was driving a bus or goods vehicle.

Of course, the real penalty is likely to come by way of your insurance premium renewal when you inform your insurer of your new points and how you got them.

Personally, I would never classify someone with a car and a mobile phone as "poor". My view is that if you can't afford such a fine, then it is unlikely that you can afford to maintain your vehicle in a roadworthy condition and you should be taken off the road until such time as you can demonstrate that you should be allowed back.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Income related proportional fines.
  • Options
    Personally think you should get instantly banned for life, it should be tough, easy mistake not to make so no excuses in my opinion. Anyone that does it is a complete fucker, that goes for smokers too, luckily they often have their window open to let the smoke out so I get an opportunity to shout cunt through their window.

Bottom line is driving is the greatest risk most people take every single day, and it should be treated as such.
  • Options
    Blue tooth, hands free for me.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Also, I would have thought that a copper would have enough to do without nicking people for using their phones.

You mean like trying to protect people from being potentially injured or killed by others breaking the law?
  • Options

Phone manufacturers need to also play their part.

I use google maps on my android handset and it keeps the screen clear of notifications but I've used my work iPhone before and when you get notifications on it, they don't clear and block your route.

Adjust your notification settings.
  • Options

I use google maps on my android handset and it keeps the screen clear of notifications but I've used my work iPhone before and when you get notifications on it, they don't clear and block your route.

If Android can do it automatically, iOS should do too
  • Options
    edited March 2017

If Android can do it automatically, iOS should do too
    Use your android.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Personally think you should get instantly banned for life, it should be tough, easy mistake not to make so no excuses in my opinion. Anyone that does it is a complete fucker, that goes for smokers too, luckily they often have their window open to let the smoke out so I get an opportunity to shout cunt through their window.

Bottom line is driving is the greatest risk most people take every single day, and it should be treated as such.

Can I suggest you'd be better off concentrating on your own driving and what's happening on the road rather than shouting abuse at other drivers through your side window?
    Let him without sin cast the first stone and all that....
  • Options
    If you have an android phone try the android auto app.
  • Options

Show me a device where I can play candy crush hands free whilst I'm driving?
  • Options

Show me a device where I can play candy crush hands free whilst I'm driving?
    Here you go:

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Kap10 said:

And for those with no income, hanging?
  • Options
    A punch from a stranger
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    She also has no seatbelt... double cunt.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:
    Filmed about 15 years ago in some eastern block country
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would have thought that experienced drivers be punished more than inexperienced.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Greenie said:

Also, I would have thought that a copper would have enough to do without nicking people for using their phones.

You mean like trying to protect people from being potentially injured or killed by others breaking the law?
    Yes that's what I mean. That will be the reality!
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Kap10 said:

And for those with no income, hanging?
    Only if they live in kent
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:
    See, here's the thing. There's one thing that winds me up even more than someone using a phone while they're driving. It's someone using a phone while they're driving, whilst having their seatbelt securely fastened. After all, they wouldn't want to hurt themselves in an accident, would they?

The best encouragement for those people who have been caught using a phone while driving should be to remove their seatbelts completely. And, instead of having an air bag, they should have a stilleto knife fixed to the centre of their steering wheel, pointing straight at their face. One slight bump and it's shish kebab time for the driver's brains.

I am pretty sure that people driving in those circumstances would tend, on the whole, to drive with considerable care and attention. And well within the speed limit.
  • Options
    You have a more optimistic view of the general sense of people than I do.....

Under those circumstances I think a decent proportion of people would learn how to trim their finger nails with the knife while taking a selfie of themselves doing so with the other hand.
  • Options

for example i use my iphone in a holder as my sat nav, is that classed as using a mobile?, if i touch the screen to clear a text message?.

Probably, yes. You should be able to set up to not do take calls or messages whilst driving.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Carter said:

I do a lot of driving and at present my van doesn't have a Bluetooth hands free, so the phone doesn't get answered. The sat nav is in my periphery and the dash cam is tucked in the corner. If I was on commission for the amount of people using mobile phones whilst driving I could retire

I've witnessed first hand at least three accidents where I've seen people on the phone in one guise or another and I've seen the consequences of more than I care to think about. I think it's brilliant the police are finally taking this seriously. For years enforcing speed limits has been seen as the way to ensure road safety when it just isn't the case. Unsafe driving is the cause of danger and death be that ignorance of traffic law such as lane hogging/not driving on the left, speeding, driving whilst on the phone (talking on the phone is one thing, scrolling through it is abhorrent and lethal, drink driving, I could go on)

It's accepted now that drink driving is socially and legally unacceptable and the punishments reflect that in the main, using a mobile phone should be equally as socially unacceptable.

The Bluetooth built on my car means I don't have to take my hands off the wheel. Not that I'm so popular I get a raft of calls but it means I'm not losing concentration.

I'm the first one to question the feds when they do daft things or announce new initiatives but this is spot on and hopefully heralds a new era of traffic police and police in general beating sense and awareness into the more ignorant and dangerous drivers we have on these shores

All very well, and not having a go at you personally, but the Bluetooth built on your car means that whilst you don't have to take your hands off the wheel, you do have to take your mind off the road.
  • Options

Excellent move, it's as dangerous as drink driving. Speaking as a motorcyclist, People texting while driving should be banned then have the phone shoved up their arse.

@WasCharleyOne, as a motorcyclist myself, I'll hold them down, you can do the shoving.