Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Using a mobile while driving

Comments

• Its a difficult one but phones seem to be a big problem. There are still plenty of people smoking in vehicles i.e. one hand on the wheel not two, changing CD's, eating, turning round to tell the kids off etc. If you set up your sat nav before setting off you really do not need to touch it, I don't.

• Its a difficult one but phones seem to be a big problem. There are still plenty of people smoking in vehicles i.e. one hand on the wheel not two, changing CD's, eating, turning round to tell the kids off etc. If you set up your sat nav before setting off you really do not need to touch it, I don't.

And you don't really need to look at it either.
  • edited March 2017

Chizz said:

for example i use my iphone in a holder as my sat nav, is that classed as using a mobile?, if i touch the screen to clear a text message?.

What possible reason could you have for needing to "clear a text message" while you are driving?
    so i can carry on looking at the sat nav?? thought that was quite self explanatory

thought it was a pretty normal question would have read better if i would of said notification of any sort be it text message, racing post notification, tweet notification.
    If you're looking at a Sat Nav you are not concentrating on the road and that could be classed as driving without due care and attention.
    Yes, but if you know where you are going, it could be argued you can use more of your senses on the road. Compared to looking for street signs or even a map etc... if you are lost! Phone calls are different - there is no positive advantage to them whilst driving.
  • If I could be so bold for one minute - In relation to the majority of minorish traffic offence, most fines are generally affordable to be paid in one lump by most drivers. If they really wanted to stamp these things out, they'd hand out on the spot bans (from 1 month for speeding etc. to life for drink driving etc.), with stiffer sentences for chavs who break their bans.

Could be described as another stealth tax, that does very well to get most people behind it. imo

On the spot bans? How would that ever work? It's asking for massive problems, giving individual coppers the ability to in a moment ruins somebody's life, potentially permanently (if you need to drive for work then a 1 month ban could end your employment and ruin chances of future employment as well). So an overzealous copper does you for 32 in a 30 and you lose your job and potentially your home. It would almost certainly be illegal in this country to levy and on the spot ban without any due process involved, as well as breaking various laws on punishment needing to be proportionate to the crime.
    What other evidence is being used to implement these new changes then, apart from cameras here and there?
  • Chizz said:

for example i use my iphone in a holder as my sat nav, is that classed as using a mobile?, if i touch the screen to clear a text message?.

What possible reason could you have for needing to "clear a text message" while you are driving?
    so i can carry on looking at the sat nav?? thought that was quite self explanatory

thought it was a pretty normal question would have read better if i would of said notification of any sort be it text message, racing post notification, tweet notification.
    If your sat nav requires you to clear messages from it manually while driving, you need to get a better sat nav.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

If your sat nav requires you to clear messages from it manually while driving, you need to get a better sat nav.
    Or he just needs greater clarity on the answer to the question he posed.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

OK. Don't use a sat nav that requires you to keep touching it while you drive.
  • edited March 2017
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Are there any formal advice/guidelines out there around these types of sat nav?
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Yes. As it's a phone, there are clear guidelines.

If you’re the driver, you can only use your phone in a vehicle if you:

- need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop, or

- are safely parked
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

- need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop, or

- are safely parked
    Does that apply to cab drivers that use the automated fare acceptance gadgets that require a tap or two on the screen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

- are safely parked
    You can use your phone as a sat nav. However, you are not allowed to touch it whilst driving, @palarsehater
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

- are safely parked
    Does that apply to cab drivers that use the automated fare acceptance gadgets that require a tap or two on the screen?
    I'm not a cab driver, so I wouldn't know. But I'd guess that, if the gadget isn't a mobile phone, then it doesn't apply.
  • Rizzo said:

Sat in a queue at the traffic lights at the crossroads in Blackfen last week. Some cnut behind me decided he didn't fancy that so he drove up onto the pavement, used that to avoid the crossroads completely and drove off down Blackfen Road, all whilst his mobile was glued to his ear.

One guess what make of car he was driving...

An audi?
  • ads said:

Rizzo said:

Sat in a queue at the traffic lights at the crossroads in Blackfen last week. Some cnut behind me decided he didn't fancy that so he drove up onto the pavement, used that to avoid the crossroads completely and drove off down Blackfen Road, all whilst his mobile was glued to his ear.

One guess what make of car he was driving...

An audi?
    Got it in one!
  • I drive for a living, luckily have Bluetooth in the van.
    See mobile phone use, day in, day out, and IMO, as someone who circumnavigates the M25 and surrounding towns daily, it's a generational thing.
    Not entirely, but the majority I see are youngsters, and 20 somethings.
    This generation has grown up with mobile phones as a pretty standard piece of kit, with the growth of social media and wanting to tell everybody about their life via FB, twitter, instagram, Snapchat, etc, its become the norm, look at school kids walking or too or from school, always with a phone in their hands. I don't believe they see the danger, or make the connection.
    The older generation had 8 track, cassette tapes and cd's to distract them, changing any of those over must have been very distracting.
    Personally I would double the fine, but if caught again, automatic 3 month ban.

• Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

my satnav is inoperable whilst the vehicle is in motion .. it's a garmin
  • DA9 said:

I drive for a living, luckily have Bluetooth in the van.
    See mobile phone use, day in, day out, and IMO, as someone who circumnavigates the M25 and surrounding towns daily, it's a generational thing.
    Not entirely, but the majority I see are youngsters, and 20 somethings.
    This generation has grown up with mobile phones as a pretty standard piece of kit, with the growth of social media and wanting to tell everybody about their life via FB, twitter, instagram, Snapchat, etc, its become the norm, look at school kids walking or too or from school, always with a phone in their hands. I don't believe they see the danger, or make the connection.
    The older generation had 8 track, cassette tapes and cd's to distract them, changing any of those over must have been very distracting.
    Personally I would double the fine, but if caught again, automatic 3 month ban.

I kind of agree regarding the generational thing. What I will say though is the 35-55 bracket talk on them more and have them against their ear where the younger generation tend to be doing what I think is worse in scrolling through them and looking at them. This is purely anecdotal mind you
  • Any punishment needs the police to enforce the law, which is part of the problem. But much harsher penalties are needed to prevent something that unnecessarily causes accidents and costs lives. If we were discussing anything else which caused even one or two deaths each year there would be an outcry and a demand for action.
  • Sponsored links:

• The thread title should be preceded with the words "You're an idiot..."
  • PWR

People will still do it, whatever the punishment - so, don't police it but prevent it. It is very easy to stop people using a phone in a car - simply install (a statutory obligation) a piece of kit that disables all mobile signals within the car. It wouldn't affect sat nav as these are on different frequencies.

Anyone found tampering or disabling said equipment would face a very heavy punishment.
  • bobmunro said:

PWR

People will still do it, whatever the punishment - so, don't police it but prevent it. It is very easy to stop people using a phone in a car - simply install (a statutory obligation) a piece of kit that disables all mobile signals within the car. It wouldn't affect sat nav as these are on different frequencies.

Anyone found tampering or disabling said equipment would face a very heavy punishment.

Except phone based sat-nav doesn't use different frequencies in any way shape or form, and how would this app work? Would it disable all mobile devices (sorry kids, no games or internet for you on our long boring drive today), or would only the driver need to activate the app, in which case how do you enforce it, unless drivers must have the app installed, even if they're a passenger in the vehicle. There are just too many flaws with this idea. Enforcement is the only way, trying to find some technical solution, just like with speed camera, won't improve safety, it'll just cause it's own alternate issue whilst not addressing the core issue it was designed to deal with.
  • It would probably help if half the police cars I see on the roads weren't being driven by coppers who are on their effing mobiles!

It would also help if the coppers who aren't on their mobiles actually bothered to nick drivers who are.
  • bobmunro said:

PWR

It's cars that are the problem, just ban them altogether.
  • "Use your mobile phone & drive as of today and you'll end up with more points on your licence than Charlton Athletic got throughout February....six"
  • bobmunro said:

PWR

Except phone based sat-nav doesn't use different frequencies in any way shape or form, and how would this app work? Would it disable all mobile devices (sorry kids, no games or internet for you on our long boring drive today), or would only the driver need to activate the app, in which case how do you enforce it, unless drivers must have the app installed, even if they're a passenger in the vehicle. There are just too many flaws with this idea. Enforcement is the only way, trying to find some technical solution, just like with speed camera, won't improve safety, it'll just cause it's own alternate issue whilst not addressing the core issue it was designed to deal with.
    I never said I'd thought it through!
  • Drivers have to stop doing this. Period. There are so many hands free devices available now that there is absolutely no excuse. I get the feeling that with some it's considered a macho thing to do. This is intolerable and the penalties need to reflect that.

No not a macho thing, women driving land rover turning left whilst holding phone in her palm and talking.

Still too lenient, 6 points and up to £5,000 .. more media campaigns .. so not just punishment but educational as well.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

I do its called my wife .. chance would be a fine thing