Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford - Match Thread (post match from P15)

Comments

• Options

charlton fb group saying there was some sort of fight between pro rd and anti rd fans? any truth in this?.

Mate check out valleyman1973 comment above.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I looked over to KM when the Roland Out chant started, and she had her head buried in her hands, not sure she can take much more, seeing the protests are about to be ramped up again, especially as she is no longer able to vent her anger at the fans due to her mouth being sealed with duct tape. It cannot help when see looks across to the East Stand and there are fewer fans in there, than in the away end.

At last, she finally feels our pain. I hope the corporate vol-au-vents taste like ashes in her mouth.
  • Options
    cheers @robroy ive had it once at millwall when i was bitching about rd had a few so probably calling him a c**t or something to that effect a bloke went to me why dont you worry about the match now, dick.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

But I can't forgive Robinson for playing Holmes in the middle, and Mavididi on the wing, when it so obviously should have been the other way round. And what did Botaka do wrong at Rochdale? Nothing, so why drop him? He's not the type who needs a rest.
    And why has he lost faith in Aribo when we were all raving about him? He was surely ready to return yesterday.

Holmes looked all over the place to be fair... Mavididi on the wing was the only player out of our front three that stuck to his position, Holmes and Magennis were forever swapping positions between themselves.
    Sounds like a bloody mess.
    Massive test for KR on Saturday. He's had plenty of support from fans here and elsewhere, but if it's another disaster on Saturday, that support will dwindle away. He needs a performance from the team, even though it might not be 'his' team.
  • Options
    Oh yeah if Tony Watt had put half the effort into his football as he did chatting to McEleny (?spelling) before the second half and afterwards he might have had an impact from the bench. As it was he had none whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Dansk_Red said:

I looked over to KM when the Roland Out chant started, and she had her head buried in her hands, not sure she can take much more, seeing the protests are about to be ramped up again, especially as she is no longer able to vent her anger at the fans due to her mouth being sealed with duct tape. It cannot help when see looks across to the East Stand and there are fewer fans in there, than in the away end.

• Options

charlton fb group saying there was some sort of fight between pro rd and anti rd fans? any truth in this?.

How anybody other than perhaps the Perks can be pro Roland is beyond me, but then again you do get some arseholes at Charlton.
  • Options
    Watching the game last night it occurred to me what our problem is. Nearly everyone of our players has the attitude that they should be playing in the league above at the very least.

If you went to work every day thinking you are better than the environment you work in or should be at a bigger company, it would have an adverse effect on your day to day job!

The only players that are happy to be playing at this level are the youth players coming through (Philips, Aribo, Konsa) they then get tainted by success and want out (Gomez, Lookman etc).

We need a mass clear out and get in some decent league one players that are happy to play in this league.

All of our players just think they can turn up, spray a few passes around and automatically get a result as they are playing at a lower level!

I also heard KR say to the 4th official last night “see, I told you he would give us nothing”. This was in relation to the ref sending off Solly. WTF is KR doing saying that to the officials before a game? “Hello 4th official, that ref will give us nothing tonight” even if it is true, all it will do is get the refs back up before we even kick a ball!

Anyway, back again on Saturday for another fun day out!
  • Options

Come on everyone, no need to be negative.

OK, so they may have underestimated League One, but they accept that mistakes have been made, and have learned from them.

They will not underestimate League Two, and will have a top six budget with aspirations to bounce back at the first attempt.

This isn't a personal dig at you Rufus but I'm finding these sarky comments more depressing than the football at the moment.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is anyone on Charlton Life that is backing those running the club now so I'm not sure who these comments are aimed at.

What I do know is that they (and there are lots of people making them) feel like having someone crack at a terminally ill relative to get a laugh.

Sadly I think it's way beyond funny now!
    It was just a joke KHA, it wasn't aimed at anyone! Call it gallows humour if you like ;)

And yeah, I know it wasn't that funny, but personally I find it helps to relieve the misery when I read other posters' funny comments in these depressing times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Holmes was a problem last night as he continually gave the ball away in the middle of the park. Not faulting his effort and he made a fair go of playing right back later on but the lesson must be that he plays wide, or not at all.

The poor marks people are giving for the defence seem harsh to me. Oxford made sporadic chances but not bucket loads. Their goal was a superb clean strike in off the far post.

Solly wasn't good in the first half but was much better in the 2nd during our best spell (the sending off looked harsh to me but I accept that others may have had a better view and there doesn't appear to have been much complaint).

Page appears to have potential. Got up well for his headers, looks to be quick and provided one superb low cross for Magennis to steer over the bar (that was the best move of the game).

Forster-Caskey was a disappointment. Not much came off for him at all. And the same could be said for Magennis. That's the worst game I've seen him play (maybe the injury has really knocked him back).

Watt and Aribo injected a bit of movement and guile but the sending off changed the whole picture and killed any momentum we had.

Our biggest goal threat again seemed to be our centre backs from set pieces, although Mavididi does look capable of getting a few. He's got pace, a bit of power, has some good tricks and looks like he can turn with the ball. He reminded me of a young Robert Lee in that respect.
  • Options
    Made a quick tenner backing us to be down at half time. Real money was to be made in 2-2 with mcaleney to score first. I started to dream 10 mins in!

Shame the little glints of excitement from Charlton these days are winning pocket change betting against us on seeming sure things.
  • Options

Was in the nwq last night and saw the incident. There was a group of 6 who stood up when north upper sang stand up if you want them out. They continued to stand and were met with a volley of abuse from the back row by an older man telling them to either go over to north upper or sit down, by the way these 6 blokes and im sure they wouldnt mind me saying were the stereotypical charlton types that others mock, so when they didnt obey to the old one at the back a younger man, who was with the older one, then hurdled chairs to confront the 6 men. The younger man then shoved one of the 6 who flew backwards over the seats and could have seriously been hurt, these 6 looked like they have never seen violence before and didnt fight back, its at this time stewards, on leaving their duties of checking tickets, came to the rescue. Then not knowing what happened did nothing and allowed the perpetrator to leave at the end of the match while they questioned the guy who was pushed. How that man who was pushed didnt end up in a and e i dont know.

@PalaceHater Seems not but there was some pushing for standing up
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

How is it that an 18 year old on loan from Arsenal looks like (almost) our only player who really cares? And like he actually enjoys playing football.
    JS built his teams on team spirit. We don't seem to have any.

Because he has something to look forward to and that doesn't involve us.
    Katy was right about one thing though, we are seeing tomorrows premiership stars. Shame they may not even belong to Charlton.
  • Options

OK, so they may have underestimated League One, but they accept that mistakes have been made, and have learned from them.

They will not underestimate League Two, and will have a top six budget with aspirations to bounce back at the first attempt.

This isn't a personal dig at you Rufus but I'm finding these sarky comments more depressing than the football at the moment.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is anyone on Charlton Life that is backing those running the club now so I'm not sure who these comments are aimed at.

What I do know is that they (and there are lots of people making them) feel like having someone crack at a terminally ill relative to get a laugh.

There are still a few who at least READ Charlton Life who back the regime. Some seem to do nothing else but comment on what's being said on CL elsewhere so the comments are very valid.

I find them funny anyway for just that reason.
  • Options
    We actually started the game quite well, effortful, hit the bar. I was hopeful. Then Mcmeny slipped away from Croft and squeezed in a low shot off the post. With us all his shots seemed like sponge-foot's but this was a good effort - not Rudd's fault. After that nothing seemed to go right but our Arsenal loanee was different gravy. He tried to beat Oxford on his own about five times and nearly succeeded. He is some prospect!
    As for our lot we continue to huff and puff in desperation. Despite our skilful players there is no clear team format and we seem more likely to concede than score a goal. Josh was poor again last night but so were most of the team. Forget about the play offs. We will do well to win two on the bounce.
  • Options
    I recall that we were slightly fortunate to draw at Oxford, who are a well organised team, as shown by their cup run this season.
  • Options

We actually started the game quite well, effortful, hit the bar. I was hopeful. Then Mcmeny slipped away from Croft and squeezed in a low shot off the post. With us all his shots seemed like sponge-foot's but this was a good effort - not Rudd's fault. After that nothing seemed to go right but our Arsenal loanee was different gravy. He tried to beat Oxford on his own about five times and nearly succeeded. He is some prospect!
    As for our lot we continue to huff and puff in desperation. Despite our skilful players there is no clear team format and we seem more likely to concede than score a goal. Josh was poor again last night but so were most of the team. Forget about the play offs. We will do well to win two on the bounce.

Exactly the same as happened at Rochdale. He's a drifter. Works quite hard but lack of pace doesn't help him, and he's prone to switching off.
  • Options
    cried in to my pint at half time, and couldn't be arsed to watch the second half, so was home instead by 9.30. That's it, no more matches for me this season!!!
  • Options
    robroy said:

Watching the game last night it occurred to me what our problem is. Nearly everyone of our players has the attitude that they should be playing in the league above at the very least.

I'm inclined to agree with you.
    I'd say most of them would be correct in that assumption. We shouldn't have been relegated and doubt they signed up for that.
    I don't think it would be stretching the imagination to assume that their employer told them a load of old waffle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Leuth said:

For everyone slagging Watt and giving him 1/10 in Player Marks, btw - can you explain how the only two bits of incisive passing in the match, both of which should have resulted in goals, were down to him?

Cliché time (once more into the breach dear friends) .. absence makes the heart grow fonder .. when Watt went walkabout all the 'fans' were tearful, bereft, crying for the loss of their beloved genius, now he's back of course, he s slated as the most useless, lazy, slow, fat s o b ever to stroll the planet

I didn't want him back, too much dirty water under the bridge, but I've been pleased with the effort he has put in during the time that I have watched him .. however, with his temperament, he'll be gone again soon either physically, mentally or both, he's a young man that needs encouragement, not abuse ...
    The best way to demotivate and decrease the efforts of any player is to boo, jeer and take the piss .. that applies to all our players who it seems in the eyes of many can do nothing right yet do everything wrong .. as usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle

The fault is partly with the players, mostly with the manager (look at the response that Nugent got from the team) and partly with the fans, you pay to get in and are free to boo and jeer... thing is in the long term that does no-one any good ...

Duchatelet unfortunately is going nowhere and neither is KatWoman .. nor, unfortunately, is Robinson until it is far too late .. all we can do is support the team on the pitch, as hard as that will be
  • Options

the most damning thing is I dont feel angry anymore leaving the ground and just kind of accept it, very frightning

Exactly
  • Options

There are still a few who at least READ Charlton Life who back the regime. Some seem to do nothing else but comment on what's being said on CL elsewhere so the comments are very valid.

I find them funny anyway for just that reason.
    I'm not sure if anyone would stand in support of the club's owners anymore, more people that aren't interetested in the protesting and just want to watch the football.

I speak to a few who have this view which I'm fine with becuase the last thing I'll do is get into a disagreement with another fan. I respect their opinion and we differ that's all.

I think what few pro regime people there are left are a dying species
  • Options

the most damning thing is I dont feel angry anymore leaving the ground and just kind of accept it, very frightning

after the Oldham loss I was furious, how could we not just lose but be outfought by a bunch as bad as them, as hard working as they might be ..
    at Rochdale us away fans were right near the pitch .. 'we' were able to actually communicate with the players visually and verbally .. it might be my imagination, it really looked to me that the positive response from the players was noticeable and though we got just a point, I left the ground feeling that the team had worked and played hard and got their just rewards ..
    morals of the story ? .. two .. encouragement is better than denigration and for my selfish part, I am never neutral about watching Charlton, I am either pleased or pissed off, rarely anything 'down the middle'
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Yeah, as I said on another thread, despite being a Regime Apologist ©, at this stage I want them out too, so we can all get back to supporting Charlton again.

Blimey!
    Please don't change your mind though.

I'd join any march on the Valley that's planned.
    Maybe call it a Unity Rally and get as wide a support for it as possible. It'd be a call for Roland to sell, but if there was a group calling for a change in his plan that'd be ok too imho. At least it'd be better than punch ups in the Covered End.
    'Black & white, unite and fight' as we used to say in the seventies!
  • Options
    The worse the games get the more I find myself using the c word....