Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How old were your children when you started taking them to Charlton?

13»

Comments

• Options

I took my elder daughter when she was 5. i had told her that everyone would get up and cheer if Charlton scored. Charlton duly scored and she leapt in the air about 10 seconds later. When the other team equalised, she was much faster out of the blocks. She was a bit miffed why nobody else went up.

That mistake can happen at any age.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Took my 3 year old to the Peterborough 2-0 loss at home as his first game. What a shocking game for a first time. He really liked the stadium, club shop but was not interested in the football unless it was kicked high.

I couldn't believe the amount of food/chocolate he got through. He also played on my phone for a while. In hindsight it was definitely too young for him, but I'm pleased I gave it a go. Probably won't take him again this season and wait until next season.

Edit: sat in the family bit so he could wander around without anyone caring. Recommend that.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I was given some free school tickets and took my daughter to her first game just before she was 5 - it was just as cold as Saturday and wasn't an enjoyable experience for either of us.

I took her again when she was 7 and she loved it but this was when we got promoted so there were red devils, fireworks, happiness - I told her not to get used to it.

Since then I took her to the odd game which she enjoyed. She loves the family activity zone, she loves Johnnie Jackson, she loves the protests and has an understanding of why we are protesting.

She is now 11 and a season ticket holder with me. I had the dilemma about not getting a season ticket, not paying for her to be a mascot but chose to do both because if Roland is here for another 5 years she'll never get that chance again.

I'm so proud that she loves Charlton so much and really looks forward to the games especially away games but I can't help thinking what have I done to her? My once care-free happy child now has nightmares about conceding injury time goals and losing to Millwall.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

My son is 5 and has been coming since he was 2. He loves it and is the only reason I still bother to attend.

jamescafc said:

My son is 5 and has been coming since he was 2. He loves it and is the only reason I still bother to attend.

Yes his name is Oli.
  • Options
    Took my eldest to the pre-season game at Welling last year when he was (barely) 4 years old. He enjoyed the first half but was bored by the start of the second. Fair play to him though. He sat all the way through to the final whistle without too many complaints. Even without my boycott of the club I don't think I'd take him to the Valley for another couple of years. If he'd been a nightmare at Welling we could just leave and walk home as we're only down the road. Not so easy from Charlton and I'd be more pissed off if I had to leave a match halfway through.
  • Options
    My son was nine days when he went to his first game, 2-2 draw v Barnsley, Whyte and Chapple with the goals.
  • Options
    I used to work Saturdays so my wife took my eight year old son to his first game, versus Bristol City at Upton Park.
    It was one of those initatives whereby they bussed kids in from schools; whether they wanted to go or not.
    Colin Walsh said it was like listening to hundreds of budgerigars.
  • Options
    My son wanted to go around age 6. He lasted a couple of games but got bored. At the time I was an occasional visitor myself. My daughter was 11 at the time and tagged along. She and I ended up with a season ticket until last season. My son is now 10 and hates football :( . He went once last season because I had no other option. His sister is still a supporter but has only been once this season. She gets it and will come back when she has less distractions in her life.
  • Options
    Think I took him when he was about 5 or so.....he showed no interest in the football and pretty much played on his Nintendo throughout...no bother to me, as long as he didn't complain: meant I could concentrate on the game... He's 12 now and attends about 4 or so games a year (tops), still shows no interest and would much rather be on his phone and he might look up if there is a corner/free kick or penalty etc....
  • Options
    actually suprised at how young some kids are that go to sporting events, at the euros there was 2 blokes walking round with there 2 kids england tops on round the streets of marseille kids cant of been much older than 3 or 4, was suprised for the record i dont have kids but my 1st match i was 6
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taking my 5 year old grandson to the Bury game. I'm a bit worried, his dad's an armchair Brighton supporter and makes the lad play mini rugby every week.